How many people here have played williams music in a band?

Darth_arcturus

Hello all, i'm new here. Before I use to just lurk around read what people had to say about williams now its time for me to step out :wave:

Our High School band played a selection called John Williams Collection. It included in this order: Hedwig's Theme then Harry's Wondrous World, followed by Monica's Theme, ending with the Main theme from the Patriot. Mostly this was all was flowed through pretty well. My favorite part would have to be playing the theme from The Patriot since I play the trumpet :) Anyone else?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In high school, we played a piece called John Williams in Concert, which consited of The Flying Theme from ET, The Mission Theme (NBC News), the Imperial March, the Star Wars Main Theme, the Cantina Band, Olympic Spirit, and the Jaws theme.

Also, I had the pleasure of performing The Cowboys Overture in county Honor Band. It was this piece that really started my "obsession" with Williams, and it's the reason "The Cowboys" is still in my JW top ten.

We also rehearsed but never performed a piece called Star Wars Medley, which mostly consisted of the Main Title and End Credits, with a brief statement of the Force Theme to bridge the two.

Many - weirded out because his ten year high school reunion is this summer.

Cool topic. Many, I've played that exact arrangement, John Williams in Concert, several times in band; it's kind of become a token piece, although we've played it every year for the past four years so people have gotten a little sick of it. :wave: We've also played Olympic Fanfare and Theme in concert band, and did a marching show a couple years back with Raiders March, Far and Away, Jurassic Park, and Adventures on Earth. Although a couple friends and I are always hoping and pressing our director for more JW . . . . my goal is to play Harry Potter before graduation this June!

Ray Barnsbury

We also rehearsed but never performed a piece called Star Wars Medley, which mostly consisted of the Main Title and End Credits, with a brief statement of the Force Theme to bridge the two.

I have the score to that at my house that I stole from the high school (borrowed with permission and never returned. but they have another copy, and a copy of the Hal Leonard sig. edition to boot; more on that in a sec).

Anyway, mainly due to my influence, I've played:

-a crummy arrangement of the Star Wars theme at "Tri-Country Orchestra" (kinda a district orchestra for middle school people, but without any further stage) when I was in 8th grade (but this was notable because we did it as an encore, so we have applause right after the actual theme starts)

-Flag Parade, Anakin's Theme, and Duel of the Fates when I was in 10th (DotF was complete with choir; this sounded awesome)

-Leia's Theme, Imperial March, Yoda's Theme, Throne Room/End Titles in 12th; I conducted Throne Room/End Titles (I tried to get permission to conduct DotF, but that didn't go through)

-Schindler's List theme (just the string parts, occasionally with strings taking over for woodwinds) at a Holocaust memorial day thing (it's a tradition for the string orchestra to play there, and Schindler's List has been on the program for the last couple years. the full orchestra played the three pieces (Theme, Winter '41, Remembrances) at the actual concert when I was in 8th grade.

-The above were all my High School orchestra; I also played Raiders March in another youth orchestra when I was in 10th (along with the Candide Overture by L. Bernstien. We played Prelude to Richard III by Walton another time; that's a really cool piece, I recomend you check it out)

wow thats a lot of williams music played everyone :wave: I have always wanted so bad to play any ET music or any Sw music, maybe my director will get something out next week since this is the time of the year we usually get new music out. I can always hope :)

We didn't, so I quit band. That was in 6th grade. I'm glad I did, because I didn't have to do marching band in high school. Now I really want to get back into music, though. I've got a synthesizer and Finale 2000 and very basic musical knowledge. I'm thinking about taking a few semesters of theory and possibly a conducting class, should I ever want to score my own movies. :wave:

Let's see now... my Wind Orchestra (Concert Band?) has performed music from Star Wars, that one was a thrill since we got reinforcement for that piece from Stockholms Läns Blåsarsymfoniker (professional wind band). We've also performed the Raiders March and Olympic Fanfare and Theme (which I am to conduct when the orchestra gets good enough)

I've had the chance to conduct JW's music:

- TPM Suite (Flag Parade, Anakin's Theme, Jar Jar's Adventure, Duel of the Fates (without chorus, but in June with Chorus (yeah !) )

- Star Wars Suite (Main Title, Princess Leia, Imperial March, Yoda, Throne Room)

- Three Pieces from Schindlers' List

- The Raiders' March

- and in June probably Superman and Love Theme from AOTC :wave:

(planning next year E.T., The Lost World and Close Encounters)

When and where do you play in June? Just curious.

--------------------------

Anyway, I've played percussion 2 (cymbals, glockenspiel) on Star Wars Main Title in 1996, and performed Theme and Remembrances from Schindler's List on the violin, accompanied by a friend on the piano, at a chamber concert in 1998. This May I'm going to play Devil's Dance with him at another chamber concert.

Last year, my band played March from Midway. I played first horn. This year, the band is going to look at Jurassic Park, but they may not play it. I'm not sure. I couldn't fit band into my schedule this year.

~Conor

In the "Lycee Louis-le-Grand" in Paris. :|

I sure will give you more info when it's officialy announced. (in fact, Ricard has always posted the info whenever I've played John Williams' music here).

Btw, I'm playing in the "Cine-Trio" (violin: Loic Rio, oboe: Timothée Oudinot and piano: Philippe Barbey-Lallia) next thrusday 27th at 8:30 pm in the Atrium Musical Magne, 12 rue Charlot 75003 Paris

several Film Musics including Star Trek, Ben Hur, Gone with the Wind, Mission Impossible, James Bond, La Vita e bella, Titanic, Mission, Robin Hood.... but more importantly Jurassic Park, E.T., Harry Potter, Schindler's List and Indiana Jones !

Our loacal band played John Willims Collection, THeme from Schindler's List and snippets of Star wars in a medley number called "Where No Man has Gone Before" including Star Trek stuff and Mars from The Planets. Also we played the original theme from the TV show "Lost in Space"-also by JW back in the day.

Always have played JW music so long as I can remember. We have played three Olympic themes (not Call of the Champions), Star Wars Main Theme, Cantina Band, ET Main Theme, Superman Main Theme, Can You Read My Mind, Jaws Theme, and even my own arrangement of the Imperial March!

I think that's it though...

I don't play in band but I have played a lot of John Williams pieces in various full orchestras. They weren't arrangements, they were the real deal. Some of the chase music is very hard indeed but a lot of fun!

I don't play in band but I have played a lot of John Williams pieces in various full orchestras.

Cool... which ones ? What the conductor famous ? good ?

They weren't arrangements, they were the real deal.
They're the best, but also the more expensive :|
Some of the chase music is very hard indeed but a lot of fun!

Tell me about it... Scherzo for motorcycle, The Asteroid Field or the Basket chase !! Boy, I'd like to conduct those someday in front of my orchestra...

I don't recall playing any John Williams in middle school band or high school concert band, but in my entire four years of high school marching band, we played:

The Imperial March (in a really awkward key)

Jaws Main Theme (with added blood-curdling scream at the end)

Far and Away

Jurassic Park Fantasy (an arrangement of the two main themes from the movie)

The Olympic Spirit

Cantina Band (we danced to this one)

And in four years of college marching and pep band, I've played:

The Imperial March (in the "normal" key from the end credits)

The Planet Krypton

Superman March

The Olympic Spirit

Olympic Fanfare and Theme

A Star Wars Arrangement (with the Main Theme, Rebel Fanfare, and Throne Room)

I think that's it. I'm sure I'll remember more.

99 Luftaballoons, blah blah blah...

One more till the century mark.

Cantina Band (we danced to this one)

This reminded me of another one. My senior year, for our Halloween field show, we danced to Ewok Celebration from ROTJ. We even got to sing the lyrics. Lots of fun.

Anthony

Two years in a row. In 7th grade, we played a collection of songs that had Jurassic Park, Schindler's List, and Raiders March (my teachers chosing this had nothing to do with me ever begging too). And then in 8th grade orchestra we played some stuff from Harry Potter. Now with a horrible 9th grade band teacher we have played nothing good at all.