Jaws vs. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial   

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which score do you prefer?

• Jaws
    • E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
  2. 2. Which movie do you prefer?

3 hours ago, Evil-Lyn said:

Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones vs. Star Trek: The Motion Picture

STAR TREK: TMP stamps all over EP II, and goes cock-a-doodle-doo! It stamps over most of STAR WARS, and goes cock-a-doodle-doo! It stamps right over STAR TREK, and goes cock-a-doodle-doo take that you mofo!

In reality, Schindler fell on his knees, held his arms wide open and shouted "Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo". Spielberg thought it was too embarrassing and so he left it out of the movie. He gave it to George Lucas.

On 7/3/2017 at 4:36 PM, Stefancos said:

I agree with Bloodboal 100%!

On 7/3/2017 at 4:38 PM, BloodBoal said:

My new signature!

:lol:

Neither film was a childhood favorite of mine, so I have no nostalgic connection to either.

I probably saw both on TV when I was young, but neither ever became favorites.  When the Jaws DVD came out in college, I appreciated the film a bit more, but then didn't see it again until its 40th anniversary 2 years ago. When we watched it then, I really realized how incredible of a film it is: Well acted, well directed, well spotted, well scored.  Seeing it again last month at the Live to Projection concert world premiere solidified how great of a film it is, and how much of an audience pleaser it is too - even if you weren't around for its game changing theatrical run (there were people of all ages at the concert).

ET I haven't actually seen that many times.  It's a good movie, just not a personal favorite.  At the Live to Projection concert we went to a year or two ago, I really enjoyed the comedy aspects of the film, and the nice pacing the film has.  And the entire ending sequence is certainly is one of the best ending sequences put to film.

As for scores, neither has been an absolute favorite of mine either.  Neither was among the first I sought out when I got into film scores in 1993; All the Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park came first.  I got the OSTs to each and liked them, and eventual 1996 ET and 2000 Jaws, but neither ever got played as often for me as so many other JW masterpieces.

That changed somewhat in 2015 for Jaws between me watching the film again as an adult, and then getting the 40th anniversary 2CD set of the score.  I now regard the score very highly and listen to it more frequently than ever.  I will still always prefer the Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park, and even Harry Potter scores, but Jaws is a damn awesome score, no doubt!

As for the ET score, I hope a definitive 2CD set will do for me what that Jaws 2CD set did someday.  I've certainly always loved the highlights of ET without question, and the OST album is aces, but neither the 1996 or 2002 presentation of the whole score satisfies me so hopefully a definitive set will only make me appreciate the score more.

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

I will still always prefer the Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park, and even Harry Potter scores, but Jaws is a damn awesome score, no doubt!

For me it's Jurassic Park, Harry Potter and Indiana Jones which I always prefer over Star Wars, E.T. and Jaws. Those later watched movies don't have any chance against one's childhood movies.

Oh, sure. If I didn't watch The Goonies as a kid and just saw it for the first time now, I'd probably think it was stupid. 

On 05/07/2017 at 11:15 AM, Diana0327 said:

If they made Titanic shrunk by E.T, and the people who died were eaten by JAWS, it will be an epic movie of all time. Joke

They already made this movie.

It's called War of the Worlds! :P