Will you purchase the Harry Potter COS DVD?

diskobolus

Will you purchase the Harry Potter COS DVD?  

37 members have voted

1. 1.

• Immediately
    • Sometime soon after April 11th
    • Eventually
    • Doubtful
    • No

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's just too much dialogue in this movie,usefull or not.For example when Fawkes heals Harry by crying on him,surely we don't need Harry saying this matter of fact:"that's rightI,phoenix tears have healing powers",it's unessary and ruins the pacing or any impact the scene might have.aAlso those lond talky scenes with Dumbedore in his office,I was just looking around the screen and couldn't pay attention to his long explainations ;) .

K.M.

Exactly. Enter Alphonso Cuaron

Good God, you people think this guy could walk on water. He isn't a great director, and so far his track record is far less stellar than Chris Columbus.

There is nothing wrong with Chamber of Secrets, its a great film, KM if your attention span is so short why don't you watch Armageddon, its pace sounds more to your liking.

Good God, NO ONE knows how Cuaron will handle the next film, and there's nothing wrong with doubting or having hope for his contribution. Personally, I like both Potter films so far, but think they could have been better (see my previous posts in this thread). Therefore, I'm optimistic about a new director coming in. The fact that it's Alphonso Cuaron really has nothing to do with it for me; it's the fact that having a new director, while Columbus is still involved, could be just what the movie needs.

Ray Barnsbury-who, BTW, thinks Armageddon is a ridiculous film

Maybe these are old news or it may have been denied as of now, but here they have just said on the radio (here in the Czech Republic) that the third Harry Potter movie may be split into two separately-screened screened movies for its length or something. Anyone can confirm, specify or disprove that "news"?

Roman.-)

i'd like to squash that rumour. i can't believe that in their sanity they would even think about making 2 movies out of the book, it's not THAT long.

I'll be happy if Prisoner of Azkaban clocks in at 2 hours. Who cares if they cut out stuff from the book? If done properly, it will only wind up making it a better film. Remember, what works on the printed page does not always translate well to film. These filmmakers should be concerned with making a good movie, and not just a good adaptation. There is a difference.

Ray, do you seriously have a problem with Chamber of Secrets because a character doesn't wear a green hat? I have a problem with COS because it's climax is poorly done (it keeps starting and stopping everytime Fawkes flies into the scene) and the whole pointless spider sub-plot. In the books these things didn't bother me, but on film I don't think they work very well.

Neil

Ray, do you seriously have a problem with Chamber of Secrets because a character doesn't wear a green hat?  I have a problem with COS because it's climax is poorly done (it keeps starting and stopping everytime Fawkes flies into the scene) and the whole pointless spider sub-plot.  In the books these things didn't bother me, but on film I don't think they work very well.

No, no, I didn't mean to give the impression that that was a main reason by any means. Just a little annoyance I guess. Mainly, it was what I said about the painfully slow dialogue and, at times, pacing. Also because of exactly what you mentioned - some things did not translate too well from book to screen. And I know I must sound like I loahthe the film but that's not the case at all. I've said my share of praise about it, particularly closer to its release, so now I guess the things I don't like about it are coming up.

Ray Barnsbury

There is nothing wrong with Chamber of Secrets' date=' its a great film' date=' KM if your attention span is so short why don't you watch Armageddon, its pace sounds more to your liking.[/quote'']

Why does it sound like you're speaking facts?

It's not that we're excited for Cuaron himself, we're excited about the change of directors and what consequences it will bring. A different approach to Harry Potter. We want to see how things change. And we have high hopes for those changes to be corrective of the flaws in Chamber of Secrets.  

My thoughts exactly, that's essentially what I was saying above. :)

Ray Barnsbury

It's not that we're excited for Cuaron himself, we're excited about the change of directors and what consequences it will bring. A different approach to Harry Potter. We want to see how things change. And we have high hopes for those changes to be corrective of the flaws in Chamber of Secrets.  

Now who sounds like he's speaking facts?

BTW is it true this is not the highest selling DVD of all time with like 6 million copies sold on Day 1?

I heard some crap like that. Reportedly sales are friggin staggering.

HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE BUYING THIS THING???

BTW is it true this is not the highest selling DVD of all time with like 6 million copies sold on Day 1?  

I heard some crap like that. Reportedly sales are friggin staggering.

HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE BUYING THIS THING???

I am! Just picked it up this morning. Very nice extras.

Now who sounds like he's speaking facts?

You didn't answer my question.

And I actually am speaking facts. I am re-stating Ray's post above. It is a fact that we're excited for the aforementioned reasons, so why shouldn't it sound like I was speaking facts?

because you speak of flaws which are just your opinion, thus negating your claims of fact.

Exactly.  Enter Alphonso Cuaron.  :D  

Ray Barnsbury

He did a terrific job with 'A Little Princess', a beautifully photographed and indeed directed film. This is probably why Warners are keen to hire him, as both have strong fantastical motifs. I have yet to see 'Like Water For Chocolate' yet though.

-Tim.

If you expect things to be dramatically different on PoA because of the directorial change from Columbus to Cauron, I'm afraid you're likely to be sorely disappointed. The cast, screenwriter, and producers, including Columbus, are virtually the same.

Who cares if they cut out stuff from the book? If done properly, it will only wind up making it a better film.

That's a bit presumptuous of you, isn't it Neil? You can't say cutting something won't hurt the movie, or even the sequels that are sure to follow. As Rowling has said many times, there are little details which may seem minor at the time that become very important later on in the series. And what is with the mindset that many people have, not just you, that a movie has to be two hours or less to be enjoyable? Would editing Gone with the Wind down to two hours make it a better film? From what I've seen, if there's anything wrong with the plotting and pacing of the existing Potter films it's because they've been edited down too much.

If you expect things to be dramatically different on PoA because of the directorial change from Columbus to Cauron, I'm afraid you're likely to be sorely disappointed. The cast, screenwriter, and producers, including Columubus, are virtually the same.

Yes, and not that I'm expecting or wanting a 180-degree change, but different direction could very well bring a significant change to certain questionable aspects of the previous films.

Ray Barnsbury

I ordered it a while ago and have had it for some time. I watched the extra scenes too and I loved a few of those scenes a lot more than what is in the film... Very strange indeed.... I also got Spirited Away too which i finaly watched.... That was odd from begining to end.....

Would editing Gone with the Wind down to two hours make it a better film?

Probably not, but Chamber of Secrets sure could have been cut down some more. Harry Potter fans are going to hate me, but Gilderoy Lockhart serves absolutely no purpose in the movie. Sure he was funny, but in the end, he just chews up precious minutes. I also would have cut out the whole spider sub-plot. It was dumb and didn't work in the film.

Neil

I also would have cut out the whole spider sub-plot. It was dumb and didn't work in the film.  

I suppose the whole sequence at the Dursley wasn't needed either. We don't need Dobby we'll find out all that stuff anyway. Or the ending. I mean who cares if Hermione is ok? We've all read the book.

Justin -Who thinks Neil is weird. :D

From what I've seen, if there's anything wrong with the plotting and pacing of the existing Potter films it's because they've been edited down too much.

I agree 100%. This is particularly true for CoS. It didn't flow badly because it was too long, but because it was too short. They put together all those more or less unconnected scenes. Pretty much my only complaint about the movie is that because of this it feels mostly like a re-telling of the story instead like the story itself. And the difference is big, after all I do think the first movie was better than the second.

And Neil, Lockhart was one of the highlights of the movie, plus he's important in some places, probably more in the book than the movie (don't remember the details). Alright, so you could have changed the story enough to make him totally redundant, but what if he reappears in book #6 and turns out to be extremely important? You'd have a hell of a problem fixing things then.

And sorry, but the spider thing isn't a subplot, but one of the bits that holds the story together. Without it, the whole thing wouldn't make sense at all. And I think JKR said that Aragog shows up again in book #5, so again you couldn't leave him out, even if you made the story work without him (which I can't imagine).

Marian - who ordered the DVD.

And I think JKR said that Aragog shows up again in book #5, so again you couldn't leave him out, even if you made the story work without him (which I can't imagine).

Marian - who ordered the DVD.

She hasn't actually said this, i know all the interviews very well. But we can assume that anything that remains in the film has the potential to be extremely important later on in the series, and therefore was left in.

In my opinion, the change in direction seems to be well and truly similar to the change in directors from George Lucas to Irvin Kirshner for The Empire Strikes Back.

My point being that nothing much will change, but it will still be good.

:wave: