The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

Well, they went ahead and added Simon Belmont, Richter Belmont, King K. Rool, Chrom, and Dark Samus to Smash 5

I wish I still had the SNES and its games from my childhood.  My brother sold it all while I was away at college.

I still have all the old boxes and manuals, though.  They were in a closet somewhere and he didn't know about them

1 minute ago, Jay said:

I wish I still had the SNES and its games from my childhood.  My brother sold it all while I was away at college.

I still have all the old boxes and manuals, though.  They were in a closet somewhere and he didn't know about them

My brother sold our SNES and most of the games in like 1998.  Then I "inherited" my high school girlfriend's SNES and all her games in 2001, and then I slowly rebought all the rest.

Moral of the story: bad bros!

I literally didn't know a single person growing up who had a Genesis.  I had one friend with a Game Gear though.  He got a Game Boy like the rest of us eventually though.

4 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

It seems Sonic the Hedgehog is the landmark video game where sidescrollers finally became easy and accessible.

Maybe it's because I was too used to Mario, but I always found those 16-bit Sonic games nigh on unplayable.

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

8 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

My brother sold our SNES and most of the games in like 1998.  Then I "inherited" my high school girlfriend's SNES and all her games in 2001, and then I slowly rebought all the rest.

Moral of the story: bad bros!

My brother did the same thing 😛

Traded in our SNES and all games at Funcoland for $60, which he used to buy Monster Truck Madness 64.

I eventually inherited my uncle’s console and all the games he had. 

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Yeah, if I had to pick one.  But I do think 3 is great.

And 3's the one where the gal's the main character. :D

(Even as someone who has no interest in Smash since I don't play multiplayer games, I'm really happy King K's here. I've witnessed folks begging for him for quite a long time)

Just now, kaseykockroach said:

And 3's the one where the gal's the main character. :D

(Even as someone who has no interest in Smash since I don't play multiplayer games, I'm really happy King K's here. I've witnessed folks begging for him for quite a long time)

If you haven't, you HAVE to watch K Rool's reveal trailer.  Seems like it would appeal to your humor.

Just now, Disco Stu said:

If you haven't, you HAVE to watch K Rool's reveal trailer.  Seems like it would appeal to your humor.

I have, and it did. :P

I'm only vaguely familiar with these characters (didn't have any Nintendo systems as a kid, now only recently obtained a N64 and Wii), and DKC2 was difficult to the point of exhaustion. Not inherently how hard the game itself is, but that you can only save at certain points so if you get a game over, you have to play 2-3 levels over again that you had already beaten.

Holy moly, I somehow missed part of this news.

Not only was the NES Classic technically the best selling hardware of June 2018 (I had heard that story last week), but Mario Tennis Aces was the single best selling game of the month.  And NPD only tracks physical retail sales for Nintendo games, so that is not including eShop numbers.  Wow.  Switch really is on a roll.  I mean, I know it helped that there was no major PS4/Xbone release, but still.

Top 10 selling games (physical and digital) for June 2018

1.   Mario Tennis Aces

2.   God of War

3.   Grand Theft Auto V

4.   The Crew 2

5.   Far Cry 5

6.   Mario Kart 8

7.   LEGO Incredibles

8.   FIFA 18

9.   Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy

10. Detroit: Become Human

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-08-01-npd-nes-classic-was-the-highest-unit-selling-platform-for-june

How impressive is it that GTA 5 is still a top 3 game every month FIVE YEARS after it came out?  Truly a remarkable accomplishment, and one that might never be bested

3 hours ago, Jay said:

How impressive is it that GTA 5 is still a top 3 game every month FIVE YEARS after it came out?  Truly a remarkable accomplishment, and one that might never be bested

It really is incredible. The most successful entertainment property of all time.

It'll be interesting to see how the inevitable GTA VI will compare.

I personally don’t think it’ll even come close to GTA numbers. The western is such a niche genre, even with Rockstar’s prestige behind it, I think it’ll sell moderately in comparison. Its longevity depends entirely on its online play though. 

RE: The NES Classic. I saw that it was in stock at both Amazon and Best Buy, with Amazon having an availability date in September. So I chose to order through BBY, only to find it as In Store only, and when I went back to Amazon it had already sold out again. So just picked it up at my local BBY, first time I’m buying media in store in years!

20 hours ago, Jay said:

No surprise!

I wish Peer could fill in for.him this week but he's in vacation in Japan .  Man this whole thing must have ruined his vacation

This tweet from Altano has gotta be about Filip, right?

8 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

The K. Rool reveal was hilarious.  And that DKC2 music!  Delightful.

It's from the first one!

7 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

3's the one where you can save at any time!

Yeah, so you can quit the game faster and play the first or especially the second one!

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Maybe it's because I was too used to Mario, but I always found those 16-bit Sonic games nigh on unplayable.

Agreed. This opinion landed me in hot water with my colleagues at Nintendo...between that and my dislike of the N64, along with "classics" like Fool'sGoldeneye and Banjo Patooie, I'm surprised I wasn't completely cast out.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I’ll be interested to see how Red Dead does.  I mean it’ll sell great obviously.  But will it’s sales be unprecedented

It will be interesting to see if it does proportionally what Redemption did in relation to the first one.

Donkey Kong Country 2 is a great, healthy challenge, the perfect level of fun, forward momentum, instantaneous and efficient "tutorials", and stress (I love the save token addition, it gets so tense near the end of the game). The only issue I have with it is its tone...I like the varied nature of the environments, and its marked difference from the first game, but there's something about the game that's a little depressing, I don't know what it is....

I guess its hardness combined with its depression was a bit much for me...who knows, maybe I'll be better at it in ten years. 

Dixie's cool though!

4 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Donkey Kong Country 2 is a great, healthy challenge, the perfect level of fun, forward momentum, instantaneous and efficient "tutorials", and stress (I love the save token addition, it gets so tense near the end of the game). The only issue I have with it is its tone...I like the varied nature of the environments, and its marked difference from the first game, but there's something about the game that's a little depressing, I don't know what it is....

Is Donkey Kong King Kong's little brother? Because King Kong actually exists within the Mario universe because in the game Mario's Missing, he's mentioned in a bizarre context that he has to be "returned" to the Empire State Building.

9 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Is Donkey Kong King Kong's little brother? Because King Kong actually exists within the Mario universe because in the game Mario's Missing, he's mentioned in a bizarre context that he has to be "returned" to the Empire State Building.

Try putting all the different versions over the past 30+ years of the locale known as "The Mushroom Kingdom" into a single, rational narrative timeline and I'm pretty sure your head will explode.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Try putting all the different versions over the past 30+ years of the locale known as "The Mushroom Kingdom" into a single, rational narrative timeline and I'm pretty sure your head will explode.

Mario's Missing doesn't take place in the Mushroom Kingdom, so the purity of the Mario lore is preserved! 

20 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Mario!... trust the fungus.

What's your name, Luigi Luigi?

5 hours ago, Wojism said:

I own that on PC. Wasn't a fan. 

What, World of Goo? I had a lot of fun with on Wii ten years ago, have no idea how I'd feel about it now. 

600...what's that enough for, a NES game?

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

Definitely 3, no question whatsoever

Hell yeah. My personal ranking: 3 > 2 (USA) > 1

Looking at the list of NES games on the Wii, knowing your dislike of difficult games, I'd suggest Super Mario Bros. 3 (prob'ly the best all-'rounder), Startropics (quirky characters and great music, but it _can_ get hard), or River City Ransom (though this one's better with another player)