The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

Yeah, my point is just that I can't tell if people really think they can't play something without an official release on the most recent console, or if they're just trolling Nintendo when it's so easy to pirate.

As for if it's illegal or not, I think so. But look at music. People aren't pretending they can't listen to something just because there isn't an in stock and available release or streaming option for a certain piece of music.

.....though I might be wrong. There seems to be the same sort of trolling regarding Nintendo not putting their music on streaming sites. 

Again, what people?  Who exactly are you referring to?

People who post on video game forums, reddit, and social media are only a small portion of humans on Earth who own Nintendo Switches and might play a cool looking Metroid game if it was easy to buy it

13 hours ago, Jay said:

Screenshot_20210722-232316_resize_94.jpg

I assume he means the people you would usually see coming up with and/or repeating these /\ memes, or making comments about this situation

I just think that while piracy of old videos is easy and yea, a lot of people do it, it isn't the ideal solution, and lots of people think Nintendo should sell their back catalog to fans easily.  I don't really see this is confusing to people but maybe I am missing something.

As usual, we're agreeing but I'm trying to make a more nuanced point. 

The fact that people meme about how "they can't play old game X" because it's not on a modern console I think it just people being coy about it. 

The alternative ways to play, listen, watch something are SO simple and so common now that to suggest that let's say as example, you wanted to play Metroid Fusion, it's not impossible to do.

It's like the people who whine that there's no Twilight Princess or Wind Waker on Switch yet (though I'm sure it'll come). Either buy the previous console, the one before that, the one before that, or emulate it which isn't hard with Dolphin. 

I feel like you're still missing the point

Just because piracy exists and is easy should literally have no impact on whether or note Nintendo should make their old games available easily legally, nor have any impact on whether or not people post online and makes memes about how they wish Nintendo would make their old games available easily legally.

Yeah, and I think you don't realize that I agree with you. I'm not talking about IF Nintendo should do it. I've said it's the least they can do. I'm saying the people who are complaining that if they don't, there's absolutely no way to play these games is just them being cute. 

That's what I'm saying, I don't think they're being cute.  I think their cause is completely just!

I think we should shame Nintendo into doing the right thing!

Right, which is exactly why memes are needed to get the word out that Nintendo isn't doing something that they should!

Nah, the real way to do is is to speak with our dollars. 

Memes never got us Mother 3, but spending money on Earthbound Beginnings very nearly got us Mother 3. 

...that's a different issue, though.

Regional localizations of games that do exist is different than old games being for sale in general I think

It is. The main point is that money talks. That's what it is at the end of the day.

There's almost no additional value to Nintendo Online on Switch for $20 per year versus free on Wii U, but people pay it without even thinking. 

On 6/29/2021 at 2:40 PM, mstrox said:

Playing through Super Mario 3D world co-op with both my spouse and my kid, and we’ve gotten through all the levels EXCEPT the last world which requires every single green Star, stamp, and gold flag to get to - so guess what mad task we’re working on now…

Update on this - we made it through to the Crown world and Jesus H., you guys.  The Captain Toad level was a gimme, but the other two are rough.  Through a lot of persistence, we found a rhythm together (Rosalina/Peach/Luigi) and made it through the 30-Star mystery house which was very fun.  I suspect we’ll get tired of the last proper level and just not finish.  At a certain level of challenge, it’s just not fun!

To preserve our sanity, we called it quits and moved on to New Super Mario Bros Wii as our family coop game.  My spouse and I may take cracks at the crown world level kid-free sometime though.

3 hours ago, mstrox said:

To preserve our sanity, we called it quits

Good, it's not worth it.

3 hours ago, mstrox said:

and moved on to New Super Mario Bros Wii as our family coop game.  

Umm......

U don’t like?  It’s no Mario 3D World, but it’s fun!

My kid and I are also playing LEGO Dimensions, but it’s only 2 player so it’s not a whole family deal.  what a glitchy effing game.

It's a good game, but if you're trying to find something that's less stressful playing co-op, that's definitely not the one!

Is Dimensions the toys to life one or another one? If it's the other one I'm thinking of, it seemed like one of those that did well on the name alone but nobody talks about if it's actually a good game. 

It’s the toys to life one.  The format is pretty much like all the other Lego games except you have to sit on the floor next to the effing toy pad while you play, and it randomly freezes any time you play for more than 45 minutes.

Yeah, it seems like Traveller's Tales has the same problem that Telltale Games had before they went kaput. Their games are churned out so fast and the quality of the product gets lower and lower as the engine gets older, it risks losing money after awhile. 

Granted, a Lego game with licensed everything is more appealing than modern adventure games and will last longer, that's probably why they went crazy with a new engine for Lego Star Wars Skywalker Saga. It's a LONG time coming, and I'm sure it was good for costs to not have made a new engine to this point, but look at how sour you are on the game because of how poorly it works. 

Nintendo Switch has now sold 89.04 Million Units Worldwide

This means it has surpassed the PS3 to become the #7 best selling console of all time

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_game_consoles

Longer trailer for the open-world Pokémon game:

Still looks boring to me. Anaemic animations, discount BOTW locations, combat is still turn-based etc etc etc.

For what is probably the most profitable IP in video game history, GameFreak sure are cheap when it comes to their games. This looks like a graduate university project. I guess the profit margin works for them.

On 7/30/2021 at 5:02 PM, mstrox said:

Update on this - we made it through to the Crown world and Jesus H., you guys.  The Captain Toad level was a gimme, but the other two are rough.  Through a lot of persistence, we found a rhythm together (Rosalina/Peach/Luigi) and made it through the 30-Star mystery house which was very fun.  I suspect we’ll get tired of the last proper level and just not finish.  At a certain level of challenge, it’s just not fun!

Update again - we have beaten the horror level.

57 minutes ago, SilverTrumpet said:

Anyone play it with joycons? They should be better, but the controllers are so cheap and unreliable they don't work most of the time. 

I did!

On the whole, they seemed to work better in some respects, but not as good in others.

8 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Just about to do the final boss(es) of Skyward Sword later today.  I've been playing through the game at an average of just an hour or so a day, with my kids often watching, commentating, helping spot stuff for me, etc.  It's actually been a blast.  When I played the game 10 years ago I thought the game was perfectly fine but not amazing, I've never hated it as some do.  But this playthrough has actually made me like the game more.  I really like the personality of the game.

My daughter has gotten full on obsessed with Skyward Sword though.  She and her best friend and my son pretty much exclusively pretend as characters from the game this last month; she is constantly looking at the Hyrule Historia book, especially enjoying drawing characters out of the book.  The game is all she talks about!

Well this is adorable! That’s made my day!

Even though I'm a lifelong Nintendo #fanboi, there are certain corners of Nintendo that have just never been my thing.  One is the anime corner (Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, etc.) and another is the WarioWare/Rhythm Heaven corner.  The humor and style of WarioWare just does nothing for me.  OTOH, I love all 5 Wario Land games.

I've never played any of those 5 things (Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, WarioWare, Rhythm Heaven, Wario Land). Add Pokemon to that list too, never played anything in that franchise either

I played the Wii one (Smooth Moves) back in the day

On 8/1/2019 at 2:13 PM, Jay said:

I do still play Fire Emblem Heroes every day,

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

I've never played any of those 5 things (Fire Emblem,

;)

Oh yea, I click things in the dumb FE mobile game with my morning coffee, but haven't played any of the actual games

22 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I've played the entire game with pro controller and very much enjoyed it.  Got used to using the right stick after a couple hours.

I'm thinking of switching over, but its too fun swinging the controller still. I wish I knew why these controllers worked so poorly. 

I think a great solution would be to have the default right stick be the camera and hold the L button when you want to use the sword. If they just gave you that option I think it would feel a lot more natural.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Wario's the absolute best. The demo is just as good as I hoped it would be.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Even though I'm a lifelong Nintendo #fanboi, there are certain corners of Nintendo that have just never been my thing.  One is the anime corner (Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, etc.) and another is the WarioWare/Rhythm Heaven corner.  The humor and style of WarioWare just does nothing for me.  OTOH, I love all 5 Wario Land games.

The anime end of Nintendo that's been emerging in recent years has been the first bunch of Nintendo games I just don't like at all. I'd add modern Pokemon onto that too. It's become very anime game in style. Fire Emblem didn't always used to be an anime game, it was a VERY different style pre-Awakening. I say they kinda sold out after Awakening saved the series from never coming back.

WarioWare I've always loved to death. Just non-stop fun without any downtime. Rhythm Heaven is probably in my top 3 Nintendo series too. I can kinda understanding liking all the Wario Land games and being put off at the fact that Wario has a new series now, but its worth giving another shot.

17 minutes ago, SilverTrumpet said:

I'm thinking of switching over, but its too fun swinging the controller still. I wish I knew why these controllers worked so poorly. 

I think a great solution would be to have the default right stick be the camera and hold the L button when you want to use the sword. If they just gave you that option I think it would feel a lot more natural.

Some claim its because of the lack of pointer and sensor bar, but I don't quite buy that.

I claim that too. The sensor bar makes a HUGE difference with aiming. You don't have the cursor drifting all the time while you're trying to aim and an IR pointing at two stable lights is snappier with movement than gyro. I even booted up the original SS just in case I was misremembering and while that game runs at 30 fps as opposed to 60 fps, the pointer is much more reliable and reactive, even at 30.

I've had WarioWare on the GC and the Wii. With the right group of friends, it's about the most hilarious thing you can play on a console. Oddly, I found the GC version the better one back then - partly because the multiplayer modes were superior, and partly because so much of the motion control stuff mostly depended on you either being surprised and having no idea what to do, or doing the right series of moves and winning. As the owner of the console & game, that always put me at an advantage.

Only played the first Wario Land game, but that was an excellent handheld platformer with a lot of replay value.  WarioWare is a fun party game for like an hour and then probably never again, imo.

8 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Only played the first Wario Land game, but that was an excellent handheld platformer with a lot of replay value.  WarioWare is a fun party game for like an hour and then probably never again, imo.

Well, it's interesting that because the WarioWare on Wii was so popular, a lot of people think of it as a party game franchise, but at heart it's a single-player handheld series.  It began on the GBA and of the 9 WarioWare games, 6 were on handhelds.

I'm gonna hold off on the demo and just play the full game when it releases. Consider me a faithful fan of WarioWare since the GBA game in '03! My parents never really played games, but my mother really got into that one, which delighted me to no end. The best one so far is the gyro one on the GBA, but my brothers and I always wanted to be able to play these games multiplayer, so count that as one more childhood dream marked off by Nintendo. Not to say another Wario Land wouldn't be another childhood dream marked off....

Motion controls were the least of my problems with Skyward Sword; outside of some boss fights with that effeminate long-tongue dude, I never had an issue with them. It's been one of my least favorite Zeldas since I played it back in the day, but I'm open to picking this remaster up some day and giving it another chance.

2 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Motion controls were the least of my problems with Skyward Sword; outside of some boss fights with that effeminate long-tongue dude, I never had an issue with them. It's been one of my least favorite Zeldas since I played it back in the day, but I'm open to picking this remaster up some day and giving it another chance.

What were your problems besides story?

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Well, it's interesting that because the WarioWare on Wii was so popular, a lot of people think of it as a party game franchise, but at heart it's a single-player handheld series.  It began on the GBA and of the 9 WarioWare games, 6 were on handhelds.

It was a good party game on the GC, too. I don't really see the point of it as a single player game.