The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

2 hours ago, Permanent Waves said:

What were your problems besides story?

I don't remember there being any problems with the story, but I guess I don't remember the story much either, outside of the broad strokes. Is it criticized a lot?

The main thing I remember is there just being so much fat in the game, like the amount of backtracking and all that. They'd throw the coolest stuff ever in the series at you, then have you wash it down with tedious filler as a chaser. After the dust settled, I remember thinking that the series had grown too big in scope, and hoped against hope that they would make a Majora's Mask sized game next...and then they announced BOTW. :lol: I remember the music not being that hot either, but that's how I feel about a number of "modern" Nintendo games.

Who knows, maybe I'd appreciate it more, now, especially seeing where BOTW ran with its walks. 

36 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

It was a good party game on the GC, too. I don't really see the point of it as a single player game.

The GC one was tons of fun with the right crew--especially since it used the GBA game as a great base--but a huge part of the series appeal was always being thrown into the unpredictable antics of each character's themes, with the title's gimmick, and just seeing what wacky stuff the next character would bring.

Skyward Sword is kind of Mario 3D World era Nintendo game making. It's where things were starting to get a little long in the tooth for both. 3D World was just a console version 3D Land, but it WAS good. People just couldn't get past that main fact and couldn't give it a chance. That's fair, all things considered. 

Skyward Sword was the fifth 3D Zelda, basically doing the same formula. It also talked you to death. It came during a time when Nintendo games were way overdue for being in HD. Then people were unfortunately sick of motion controls at the time, so while it was a fun game, the music was INCREDIBLE, and it was a great demo for Motion Plus being used in a real game, people just weren't willing to look past those negatives. Beyond that, its a fairly typical Zelda and yeah, long in the tooth a bit.

People appreciate 3D World more after knowing that's not the direction Mario went in, evidenced by Odyssey, and it seems like Skyward Sword is the same way, where Breath of the Wild freshened it up, so you can look at SS as not dragging on in that direction forever. I don't think I know anyone who's favorite 3D Zelda is Skyward Sword (I can think of one person at least I know in real life who loves every other 3D Zelda best), but it's a fine game, and hopefully one that gets more a chance than it did in 2011, and it sure as hell deserved and needed another chance today.

2 hours ago, SilverTrumpet said:

he music was INCREDIBLE

Could you throw some links my way? This is one of the few tracks that made an impression on me back in the day :lol:

I'll give the score props for being more imaginative than Twilight Princess.

It's unforgettable. I just wish that first note didn't have that weird cutoff. 

They did a Zelda compilation album and included this track and the weird edit was still in there, so it wasn't a goof with the game file or something.

Haven't gotten to the end of the HD version to see if they bothered to fix it. I'm really curious. 

On 8/22/2021 at 2:40 PM, Disco Stu said:

I've played the entire game with pro controller and very much enjoyed it.  Got used to using the right stick after a couple hours.

Random Skyward Sword controversial(?) opinion: The Silent Realms were actually among my favorite experiences in the game.  They took the not-well-executed idea from Twilight Princess and figured out how to make it fun.  I enjoyed playing every one of them and I could play more.  Give me a whole game of Zelda stealth sequences, maybe revisiting iconic locations from games past.

After beating Skyward Sword, my family wanted to keep going with the new tradition of "play 30-60 minutes of Zelda every evening before the kids' bedtime" so I hooked up my Wii U last night to start Ocarina of Time.  I do still have my N64 and the Ocarina cartridge, but I lack a CRT television to hook it up to unfortunately.

I was struck by how small the game feels to me now and how quick and zippy the opening is.  In about an hour I beat the Deku Tree, got Zelda's Lullaby, Epona's Song, and Saria's Song and got to Goron City.  All that felt so much more like a big grand adventure when I was 11 in 1998!

I remember playing Ocarina in 2008 for its 10th anniversary and I had a hard time play other games after it. 

I thought the 3DS remake was excellent. The Majora's Mask one not as much. You can tell they had less time and budget on that one.

Yeah, between years of experience replaying it and just perspective based on the later games, OoT is almost breezy.  I’m certain that it didn’t move that quickly when I played it in the 1990s, which makes sense because everything about it felt so new/different at the time, and I was more prone to exploration (where, like you seem to be doing now, I’d probably be much more economical in a playthrough now).

Also we were all younger then with more time on our hands and less real-world responsibilities, giving us a completely different perspective on it than we do for any game now

I specifically remember that it took me between April and July of 1997 to finish Super Mario 64 with 120 stars. 

When it came out with the collection last year, I finished it in less than 24 hours. 

I think its a familiarity thing too. I took me forever to get through FF7 when I played it 4 or so years ago for the first time.

On 8/25/2021 at 11:41 AM, Disco Stu said:

Random Skyward Sword controversial(?) opinion: The Silent Realms were actually among my favorite experiences in the game.  They took the not-well-executed idea from Twilight Princess and figured out how to make it fun.  I enjoyed playing every one of them and I could play more.  Give me a whole game of Zelda stealth sequences, maybe revisiting iconic locations from games past.

Are those the sequences where you have to grab stuff, but the moment you leave certain spots you activate these armored guards? Those were bitchin', it was so damn tense everytime you woke them up.

11 hours ago, Jay said:

Also we were all younger then with more time on our hands and less real-world responsibilities, giving us a completely different perspective on it than we do for any game now

Are there any games any of us have revisited that feel longer "now" than when we were younger? I recently went through Republic Commando--best SW game ever yeah I said it--, and I hated how short it felt when I was a kid, and it was something the game got consistently criticized for, too. But this time, the game felt like the perfect length, and much more sprawling than I remembered.

I was not a huge fan of Samus Returns (I got bored and didn't finish it), but I'm hoping that was largely down to the original game and that a new game designed from the ground up by MercurySteam will be a lot better.

I checked out the WARIOWARE: GET IT TOGETHER demo the other night.  It's fun!  Not sure how much fun I'd get out of a $50 purchase, though....

New Big Brain! I always loved this one more than Brain Age. It had a little more fun and personality to it. Brain Age was very academic, which was fine and good because that's what it was going for. This one wanted you to use your noggin but have some fun too. Easy pickup for me. 

Interesting, never heard of this series before!

Looks like it's had 2 prior entries?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Brain_Academy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Brain_Academy:_Wii_Degree

I wonder if the US will ever get the Switch Brain Age game or not

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr_Kawashima's_Brain_Training_for_Nintendo_Switch

I guess you can change to the EU store and buy it there...

• 3 weeks later...

I've still never played a Kirby game in my life?

Which game should I start with?  Out of the ones available in NES online or SNES online I mean

2 minutes ago, SilverTrumpet said:

Is Super Star on there? That's everyone's favorite until Robobot on 3DS.

Looks like it offers:

NES - Adventure

SNES - Dream Course, Dream Land III, Super Star

I mean, really, just play all of them. There aren't any bad Kirby games. 

Dream Course is golf, though. Just be prepared for that. It's awesome.

Depending on what they add to NSO after the Direct, you'll probably have more to choose from. 

33 minutes ago, Jay said:

I wish that direct wasn't happening at 6PM my time.  I won't be able to watch it until tomorrow, because of that

Work, or prior plans?

I'd rather do other things with my evening than spend another 40 minutes on my computer after spending 8 hours on it all day working