The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

1 hour ago, Docteur Qui said:

I never played the Oracle games, I'll definitely be checking them out. I'm a little surprised they didn't give these the Links Awakening treatment and remake them - from what I hear they're great games and beloved by fans. Still, they look good, and I forgot how vibrant and impressive Gameboy Color games were back in the day.

I hope they do at some point, and bring Ryo Nagamatsu back for them!

Hopefully if they ever remake the Oracle games in that fashion, they fix the ridiculous lag issue Link's Awakening had. It was more distracting than I thought it'd be.

That being said, I'm playing through Seasons right now, since I played that as a kid when it released. And the plan is to link it to Ages when I'm done, since I've never played it. I hear it's heavier on puzzles which I like.

12 hours ago, Fargo said:

Hopefully if they ever remake the Oracle games in that fashion, they fix the ridiculous lag issue Link's Awakening had. It was more distracting than I thought it'd be.

That being said, I'm playing through Seasons right now, since I played that as a kid when it released. And the plan is to link it to Ages when I'm done, since I've never played it. I hear it's heavier on puzzles which I like.

I used to do it the other way round, as Seasons base game is lighter on story, while linking the games adds slightly more story.

I'm a couple of dungeons into Ages and I'm really hooked! I wish I'd played this as a kid, but better late than never. I forgot how enjoyable the traditional Zelda dungeons are and how satisfying it is solving those puzzles. It's definitely showing its age though - there's quite a lot of tedious backtracking that is taking the fun out of things a little; it's the kind of thing you wouldn't see in a modern take on the 2D Adventure genre, at least not with this frequency. I'm looking forward to playing Seasons after I finish.

9 minutes ago, Docteur Qui said:

I'm a couple of dungeons into Ages and I'm really hooked! I wish I'd played this as a kid, but better late than never. I forgot how enjoyable the traditional Zelda dungeons are and how satisfying it is solving those puzzles. It's definitely showing its age though - there's quite a lot of tedious backtracking that is taking the fun out of things a little; it's the kind of thing you wouldn't see in a modern take on the 2D Adventure genre, at least not with this frequency. I'm looking forward to playing Seasons after I finish.

How about the music? There are some real gems there.

Nayru's Song

Ambi's Palace

Overworld Past theme

Moonlight Grotto

Mermaid's Cave

Though Seasons has some really great stuff.

Yes I'm absolutely loving the music. Nayru's song is so eerie and beautiful.

On 31/07/2023 at 8:57 AM, Docteur Qui said:

It's definitely showing its age though - there's quite a lot of tedious backtracking that is taking the fun out of things a little; it's the kind of thing you wouldn't see in a modern take on the 2D Adventure genre, at least not with this frequency

So literally hours after writing this I unlocked the fast travel item (Gale Seeds), and now my only main criticism isn't really much of an issue anymore. 

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

Can't wait to dig into these. Never played em

Ever played Minish Cap?

Fun fact: All the Capcom Zelda games basically follow a similar formula:

Get item/ability > get on a stump/particular spot > use item/ability.

Minish Cap is fun from what I remember (all the 2D Zeldas are really). It's included in the Nintendo Switch Online expansion pass if you want to check it out, I'll be playing it after I finish Oracle of Seasons.

I'm holding out hope that they'll release DS/3DS games for the Switch. I know they're probably a lot harder to port because of the dual screen/touch thing, but there's some really stellar games that I'd love to replay, plus a bunch I never got round to (like Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks). 

Also it's been 10 years since Wind Waker HD was released for Wii-U, it's an absolute crime that they haven't ported it to Switch yet. What's the holdup?!

Minish Cap is fun from what I remember (all the 2D Zeldas are really). It's included in the Nintendo Switch Online expansion pass if you want to check it out, I'll be playing it after I finish Oracle of Seasons.

I'm holding out hope that they'll release DS/3DS games for the Switch. I know they're probably a lot harder to port because of the dual screen/touch thing, but there's some really stellar games that I'd love to replay, plus a bunch I never got round to (like Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks). 

Also it's been 10 years since Wind Waker HD was released for Wii-U, it's an absolute crime that they haven't ported it to Switch yet. What's the holdup?!

Spirit Tracks is better than PH.

Also it's been 10 years since Wind Waker HD was released for Wii-U

:eek2:

Time frickin flies... 

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the Wonder Direct!

It's 15 minutes despite the video being 45 minutes.  Clicking the play button should start at the actual content

Well... wow!  That game looks INCREDIBLE!!!

This must be the most perfect usage of 3d graphics for 2d gameplay I've ever seen.  This makes New Super Mario Brothers look like a crude prototype in comparison.

Regardless of graphics, the gameplay looks SLICK AF.  The level design and new interactive elements, enemy types, and powerups all look great and well thought-out.  I also love the art direction and just general feel and flow of things.

Then they reveal that on top of the powerups, you get this stamps to tweak all kinds of mechanics based on what you chose?  I loved that aspect of Hollow Knight and it looks perfectly integrated into the Mario world here.  Damn!

There's only a few things that don't look like instant home runs to me.  The talking flower, I dunno about that.  And I was surprised that they said all the characters play the same, except the Yoshis which don't die from enemy hits AND get the flutter jump.  I like the idea of adding some minor invulnerability for novice players, but why can't the normal mode get a flutter jump too?  Then again, the badges will probably take care of that, so maybe that's a non issue.

DAMN, I can't wait for this game!  Great NIntendo year!

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

I loved that aspect of Hollow Knight and it looks perfectly integrated into the Mario world here.  Damn!

This is what hyped me up the most. Having that aspect in a Mario game is a game changer. I can't wait to play this!

2 minutes to go!

Splatoon 3 DLC Wave 2 - not for me

OH FUCK THE RETURN OF THE Mario Vs Donkey Kong series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I loved these games on the DS!  Amazing!

Wait its a remake of the first game and not a new entry?  Weird!

Prince of Persia - The Lost Crown - looks neat

Cool graphics!

Horizon Chase 2 - meh

Super Crazy Rhythm Castle - meh

Super Mario RPG - still looks awesome!

Trace Memory (Another Code: Two Memories) - never heard of it before, looks interesting

Princess Peach Showtime - looks awesome!!!  Cool graphics, cool art design, interesting looking gameplay.  I'm impressed!!

SaGa Emerald Beyond - interesting.  A series I've always wanted to get into but haven't yet (other than playing Final Fantasy Legend back in the day)

Cool music!

Tomb Raider I-III Remastered - brings back college memories

Detective Pikachu Returns - meh

Trombone Champ - ok seriously wtf

Battle Crush - meh

War Tales - meh

Contra: Operation Galuga - ha!  The original NES game with modern graphics!  Could be a lot of fun

Actually it's not just a remake, lots of new stuff here.  Wow 4 player mode too

Unicorn Overlord - meh

Luigi's Mansion 2 HD - looks awesome!!!

Nintendo Museum opening in Kyoto - neat!

New Amiibos - cool I guess

F-Zero 99 - lolol

Bandle Tale - A League of Legends Story - cool graphics, I like the look of this a lot!  I know nothing of this series though, and this gameplay doesn't interest me

Song of Nunu: A League of Legends Story - meh

WarioWare Move It! - looks fun!

Eiyuden Chronicles - Hundred Heroes - AMAZING graphics, wow!  Cool music too.  Wish I had time to check out all the amazing-looking RPGs available on the Switch

War Groove 2 - neat!

Dave The Diver - meh

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe final DLC - happy for those who play this

Among Us - heard good things, never played it

Rundown of every 1st party game coming out between now and next summer - great lineup!

Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door remake - never played this game but it looks fun!

Great direct!

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

I've actually never played Mario RPG, or any of the Paper Mario or Mario&Luigi games

I was actually reacting to the remake news, not that you haven't played it.

On 15/09/2023 at 2:04 AM, Jay said:

I've actually never played Mario RPG, or any of the Paper Mario or Mario&Luigi games

I highly recommend them, they're tremendously fun. They do have a tendency to waffle on a bit with the character dialogue, but as it's frequently very charming and humorous it's not the worst.

I just finished playing Paper Mario 64 on Switch when the Thousand Year Door remake was announced - couldn't have been better timing. I'd never played the original on 64 - glad I played it now, it's fun - but I loved TTYD back when it came out and was wondering how I'd be able to play it again. Lo and behold here it comes (albeit next year, but still). 

Interesting how many remasters/remakes are currently in the works - and not insignificant ones either - but not many major first party releases on the horizon. People are speculating that we're likely very near the end point of the Switch and they're saving a few big guns for the successor next year. I'd handily bet on a 3D Mario as a launch release; the gap since Odyssey is their largest ever for a mainline Mario game so I imagine whatever they've got cooking is nearly done. I'm looking forward to Super Mario Wonder - the 2D format's last major refresh was far too long ago - but there's something truly special about 3D Mario games.

• 4 weeks later...

Mario Wonder is amazing!

Haven't played a game in this genre for long - very impressed by what I have seen so far.

Edit: November 5: Just finished the game. Thoroughly enjoyed everything about it. The level of creativity they poured into level designs is something else..

The final set of stages - particularly the final confrontation with Bowser are so much fun. I had a huge grin on me during that boss fight - particularly when Bowser "gets in sync" with the soundtrack.

Solid 5 stars!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pikmin 4 has sold 2.61 million copies, making it the best selling game in the Pikmin franchise

Nintendo Switch reaches 132.46 million units sold

top selling first party games:

1. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 57.01 million
  2. Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 43.38 million
  3. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 32.44 million
  4. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 31.15 million
  5. Super Mario Odyssey - 26.95 million
  6. Pokémon Sword/Pokémon Shield - 26.02 million
  7. Pokémon Scarlet/Pokémon Violet - 23.23 million
  8. Super Mario Party - 19.66 million
  9. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - 19.50 million
  10. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - 16.70 million