Schindler's Waltz?

apicasso

I've been tearing my hair out trying to identify a piece of music from "Schindler's List" which, like many others, does not appear on the soundtrack. The piece is the viennese-soundling waltz which plays when Oskar dances with his wife while flirting with another girl on the dancefloor. Does anyone have any clue what this piece might be? I'd eat a bug to find out!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't remember this scene exactly.

Perhaps you are referring to "Par Una Cabeza", a tango written by Carlos Gardel and also used in "Scent of a Woman" and "True Lies".

----------------

Alex Cremers

Hi there. Thanks so much for trying to help me (I'm just going nuts with this, and appreciate any input!). But "Por una Cabeza" isn't the one, that's from the film's opening. This scene is about 30 minutes into the film, maybe a bit more, and is definitely a waltz, not a tango. It sounds like Strauss, but a rep from the Strauss Society of Vienna assures me that it isn't, it's something much more current, perhaps even post-war. I've found just about every other uncredited piece from the film, including "Love Will Forgive You," "Meinen Lippensie Kussen so Heir," "Tango Jalousie," "Bourree, from English Suite #2," "Gloomy Sunday," "Erika," "Mamatschi," "Gute Nacht Mutter," "Die Halzauktion," "La Capricieuse Opus 17," "Happy Wanderer," and "God Bless the Child," but this one remains elusive. :)

Actually, I'd sure be happy to post a mpeg I made (by pointing my digital camera at the TV screen and recording the short scene in which this waltz is played), but I'm new, and afraid of breaking the rules. Can I do that?

No, definitely not in the film's credits (or anywhere on the internet that I've been able to find). But, again, I sure thank you Alex. I've been hunting this so vigorously, for so long, that it's a relief to get any input. I never dreamed it would be so difficult.

Again, thank you. I'm sure not ungrateful for your help!

Here is what imdb.com lists in its "Soundtrack Listing" (http://us.imdb.com/Soundtracks?0108052). The Elgar piece (third one down) sounds like it might be a winner... Hope this helps...

"MAMATSCHI (MOMMY, BUY ME A PONY)"

Written by Oskar Schima and F.X. Kappus

Performed by Mimi Thoma

Courtesy of The RCA Records Label of BMG Music

"GOD BLESS THE CHILD"

Written by Billie Holiday and Arthur Herzog Jr.

Performed by Billie Holiday

Courtesy of MCA Records

"LA CAPRICIEUSE OPUS 17"

Composed by Edward Elgar

Arranged by Jascha Heifetz

Performed by Itzhak Perlman on Violin and Sam Sanders on Piano

Courtesy of EMI Classics

Under license from CEMA Special Markets

"DIE HOLZAUKTION"

Written by Otto Teich

Performed by Rudi Scherfling

With the Egon Kaiser Orchestra

Courtesy of BMG Ariola Muenchen GmbH

"GUTE NACHT MUTTER"

Composed by Werner Bochmann

Text by Erwin Lehnow

Arranged by Werner Eisbrenner for Electrola

Performed by Wilhelm Strienz and FFB Orchestra

Conducted by Werner Eisbrenner

Courtesy of EMI Classics

Under license from CEMA Special Markets

Violin solos by Itzhak Perlman accompanied by members of The Boston

Symphony Orchestra

Clarinet solos performed by Giora Feidman

"OYF'N Pripeshok"

Composed by Mark Warschafsky

Performed by The Li-Ron Herzeliya Children's Choir Tel-Aviv

Conducted by Ronit Shapira

"Yeroushalaim Shel Zahav"

(Jerusalem of Gold)

Written by Naomi Shemer

Performed by The Ramat Gan Chamber Choir Tel-Aviv

Conducted by Hana Tzur

"POR UNA CABEZA"

Carlos Gardel

Soundtrack available on MCA CD's and cassettes

Thank you so much for responding, I'm grateful for your efforts! :music: But, unfortunately, no...the Elgar piece was used in the scene where Schindler was interviewing potential secretaries (I can't believe how much useless information I've picked up in the quest to find this song). In any case, again, thank you, I appreciate any help I can get.

I know what you're talking about. It's blends so seemlessly with the action on screen as it cuts from the Dance - the bedroom - the train station. Marvelous!!! I'd love to know as well.

And While we're on the subject i'm dying to know - what is the name of that German song that's heard at the Film's beginning inside the club with the dancing girls. The song that's heard while the girls are in close-up and the shot is between the girls dancing legs. (A very Felliniesque Shot!)

I'd love to know.

I haven't seen Schindler's in a long, long time. I don't have a copy either. Could it possibly be a bit of source John Williams composed for the scene? That could explain why it's not listed in the credits.

Jason, that song with the dancing girls is called "Die Halzauktion," performed by Rudi Scherfling (BMG Ariola label). I can't identify the piece I'm hunting, but I sure have identified every other one! :P

Mike, it could possibly be a Williams piece, although I don't think so. At this point, I'd believe just about anything. I'm starting to think that I'll never find out. :fouetaa:

• 17 years later...

the waltz you said is played in this scene https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTFPMpY0W5w. you can search it like: “ in einem kleinen café in hernals Piano” , greetings from Mexico and thanks for the name of this waltz

you can hear the same melody between 2:00 and 3:00 in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLq3ixjsWJI