am i the only one who likes "the land race"...

MrScratch

"Far and Away" is not the most played of my JW CDs but this track is killer and, in my opinion, JWs best action cue of the 90s. Anyone have any thoughts on this cue/soundtrack?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it is fantastic. I think strongbad0348520395812 likes it too.

I listen to Far and Away all the time. It is an amazing soundtrack, and the Land Race is an excellent action cue that builds to a beautiful climax. At any rate, I love the themes and orchestrations of the score. There is some great action music and some very intimate and emotional cues as well. It's a very well-rounded Williams album that once again showcases the composer's amazing versatility and brilliance.

Ted

I like the Prologue and the Fighting Donnelly's along with Land Race, but this is not an album I can pop in and listen all the way through. I also like Book of Days. Does anyone know if Enya and Williams worked together at all since they both contributed to the film? Has anyone seen the film? It doesn't look that interesting, I doubt that I will ever get around to seeing it, but how does Book of Days fit into the movie? Is it an End Credits piece?

:| Catch Me If You Can (Williams)

I absolutely love The Land Race, along with the rest of the score to Far and Away; its my second favorite score. Like Ted, I listen to it quite often, and The Land Race and End Credits are my two favorite tracks. The main theme particularly is special to me; it's one of Williams' most beautiful melodies. Sadly, this score is often overlooked, at least in comparison to many other Williams scores. But sometimes that makes it feel all the more special.

Ray Barnsbury

I like the Prologue and the Fighting Donnelly's along with Land Race, but this is not an album I can pop in and listen all the way through.  I also like Book of Days.  Does anyone know if Enya and Williams worked together at all since they both contributed to the film?  Has anyone seen the film?  It doesn't look that interesting, I doubt that I will ever get around to seeing it, but how does Book of Days fit into the movie?  Is it an End Credits piece?

:| Catch Me If You Can (Williams)

It is an end credits piece yes, but Williams had nothing to do with the song it was composed and produced by Enya, Roma & Nicky Ryan.

The film is actually a guilty pleasure, flawed yes, but good fun. The 'Land Race' is indeed a fantastic set piece in the film and is in my Top 10 Williams scored moments!

It has to be said that the film is probably in the league of 'style over content' as the story is nothing special. Far & Away looks great though, lovely panoramic (Super 75) shots of Ireland and Oklahoma, with some fantastic production merits, particularly the sets, costumes and aforementioned photography by Mikael Salomon.

The score is quite simply thrilling stuff! 'Race To The River' & 'The Big Match' are also classic Williams. The tagged on opening of 'The Big Match' on the volume 2 boot is a cracker! The tender moments exemplified by 'Am I Beautiful?', 'The Reunion' & 'Inside The Mansion' are perfect listening for winding down after a busy day ;)

Check out the film Maestro, it's worth a look!

-Tim.

I love Far and Away too. It's a great score

The Land Rush, End Credits, The Fighting Donnelly's etc. are all excellent pieces, but there's one part of the album which really sticks out to me; Track 11 Shannon is Shot.

What I find so great about that track is the absolutely wonderfull climax in that cue. I could listen to that over and over again.

"Masturbation four times a day is also an excellent exercise in becoming a film composer"Danny Elfman.

I just remarked your signature... where the hell did you find that one ?? :|

Why don't we just have a 'Am I the only one who likes the Imperial March' or 'Am I the only one who likes Hymn to the Fallen' or 'Am I the only one who likes The Theme from Jurrasic Park'?

The Astroid Field was pushing it- but 'Land Race'? Just about every single person I know who's heard it has absolutely loved this track. I bought the otherwise terrible movie just for a couple of JW's best scored scenes.

Far and Away is one of JW's best scores, another one in his 'Ethnic Exploration' series.

My favorite track is Fighting for Dough- which captures the Irish fighin' spirit so perfectly.

Although I feel bad for James Newton Howard, it's flattering to hear the track on his Treasure Planet, which obviously used TLR in the Temp (and the trailer).

A common theory is that the score didn't have time to catch with score buffs, because a year later JW came out with another two of his absolute bests- JP and SL. I'm happy that in the past few years F&R is becoming more and more popular.

:| Mozart's Flute and Harp Concerto

Definitely one of his best (and most overlooked) scores and individual cues. "The Land Race" is a piece that could almost stand as a concert suite to most of the score all by itself, with no reorchestrations necessary.

- Uni

I heard that Enya was originally commissioned to score the whole film herself, but that Ron Howard decided to go with a more traditional sound, so he hired Williams. Is that true?

am i the only one who likes "the land race"

No, you're not :)

I love this piece so much. I wonder how a concert version of this one would Williams have made it. Also, thank goodness they didn't do what they did in the banquet scene from Hook or in "Schindler's Workforce" from Schindler's List, having the track end fading out. This one they kept the repetitions until it ends.

:mrgreen: Elfman The Batman Theme

Cincinnati Pops Orchestra

Erich Kunzel

i rarely post, but i just had to in this case..

..cuz i think land race is an outstandin track. and the reason i think so only comes after listenin to the entire score and gettin a 'feel' for all the themes and motifs..

the way the maestro worked those themes and motifs into variations underscoring the action and the excitement of the scene makes me tingle every listen. esp when he weaved the fighting donnelys theme w/ tom cruise punchin that crazy horse..

POW!!

Great Americana action music. :) That score is fulled with great themes that are used in that great track. The score is great, perhaps not as relistenible as his other works though.

Has anyone seen the film? It doesn't look that interesting, I doubt that I will ever get around to seeing it

If you liked Titanic you should enjoy it a lot. :mrgreen:

Actually, I've told everyone since the first time I saw Titanic that Cameron ripped off the story from Far and Away which no one I knew knew about it. Although I have no doubt they have done this kind of story before.

I have yet to get myself a copy of this score.
I'll get mine tomorrow morning. I got today the delivery order, and it's waiting at Correos.... with the Five Sacred Trees CD. Can't wait! :)

I have yet to get myself a copy of this score.
I'll get mine tomorrow morning. I got today the delivery order, and it's waiting at Correos.... with the Five Sacred Trees CD. Can't wait! :)

You've got a lot to look forward to, Peio. the Five Sacred Trees is absolutely lovely, truly unique. The second track is one of my favorites, it's just a virtuoso piece that is kind of a mix of his melodic film scoring talents and his more "mature" concerto writing. Overall, I think this basoon concerto is my favorite concerto of his, tough call though.

Ted

Finally I got it.

Maybe it's just coincidence, or we have similar taste, but I knew track 2 (and track 5 too) would be your favorite LOL

It's really cool.

In regards to The Land Race, I heard it for the first time today. Awesome! :)