TESB: Which recording do you love best?

A24

With so many of you regarding The Empire Strikes Back as his finest work to date I was wondering which recording you prefer. Is it the Original Soundtrack release or the one that Charles Gerhardt made. Is it the CD from the Anthology Box or the '97 two disc set. Hey, maybe you think MECO's disco version beats them all. So which one is it and why?

Thanks.

----------------

Alex Cremers

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer the original recordings, particularly the SW Anthology Box. When I listen to any SW music it is usually the Anthology discs that I listen to. The sound quality is still very good and I like having the Battle of Hoth tracks seperated. I also listen to the Gerhardt disc quite a bit, just for a different take on some of the cues, plus the concert version of Han and Leia.

The SW SE CDs are still great though, I love all of the extra Cloud City music and the film version of the Imperial Probe droid music.

I prefer the SE Cds more only because it has what JW originally wrote. The tracks not being separated don't bother me, I actually prefer it. It makes it more of a symphony than anything. Think of it as Movements rather than track titles.

I'm a purist. I've only heard John Williams-conducted versions of "The Empire Strikes Back" on CD. Therefore, all the original recordings are good. But the '97 release has a fuller sound, and I relish the chronological order!

Jeff -- who was caught conducting "Clash of the Lightsabers" at a stop light in his car earlier in the week ;)

Nothing beats the power of the original. I used to think that Gernhardt's recording of The Asteroid Field was the best but after a recent listen and comparison of the two, the LSO's version is overall the stronger performance. You simply can not match the power of the brass in that sequence. Top notch.

Justin - ;)

My answer in short is: Williams' original 1979/1980 recordings in any release. ;)

I almost never prefer any version more than the original recordings. And when there are rare exceptions, it's always with Williams as the conductor.

I LOVE the sound and the arrangement of the 2LP set. I want that on CDR. I did an LP transfer and a Cassette transfer, both are nice but I wish someone would just release the album masters on CD. The chances of that are slight to none. The Polydor 1LP/CD version was a shame... the 2LP version should had been released instead of that woefully short thing.

I also like the sound of the 4CD Anthology boxed set. OK, so maybe the wrong takes were used, I still think that has slightly better sound than the Special Edition.

And the Special Edition is of course... pretty close to flawless. I just wished for more track seperations on the longer cues. It's fine how they flow into each other, but I would just like the seperations anyway. In fact... uncanny timing... I am doing that right now... spooky how this topic come up as I decinded to finally do it.

To me, Gerhardt's album is ONLY good for the Han & The Princess concert version, which I want Williams to conduct with the LSO someday. I find the rest of the album a little annoying. Not that they are "bad", but the originals are SO good.

-Chris

-PS: And ROTJ: Although the SE is near-complete, the sound qiality is VASTLY inferior to the 4CD set and OST. I am planning on making a set taking the best sounding tracks off each and making more track seperations as well.

I don't care about the track seperation. We have that on the 4 disc Anthology. Personally I think the longer tracks give it a more epic feel.

Justin -Who likes the shorter tracks too when making a compilation.

I have to disagree. The Prague symphony orchestra recording is my favorite. Although that's probably because it's the only version I had for several years, so maybe it's grown on me. But still now- it has more energy and is a tad darker than any other version, which works well for me.

I despise Gerhard's intro to the IM- I can never get past how terrible that sounds.

Well, I started this seemingly boring thread to see how many of you would choose the SE set. Why? Because of this article. Read and weep, you Empire  maniacs!  

I've read it before, the extra music and extra clearity and more warm tone more than makes up for those problems in my opinion.

Han & The Princess concert version, which I want Williams to conduct with the LSO someday. I find the .

I doubt it,seems Williams has "forgotten" that theme.

K.M.

I'm with you, Morn. The warm tone is just alright with me. I don't care what they may say...the warm tone is just alright with me.

I like all the LSO recordings. I have the Polydor cassette (the second film score I ever owned, I believe...could be 3rd), the Antho, and SE. All of them have their ups and downs.

However, I do prefer the original IM recording to all others, Williams-conducted or not. I don't like any of the BSO recordings or LSO re-recordings. Williams may like to turn Darth Vader into a black-clad Santa Claus with a helmet, but I don't. The LSO re-recording is easier to listen to than the BSO version on By Request, but it's still inferior to what they did with the man 18 years earlier.

Oddly enough, though, I like the MECO version of the IM. I grew up on a rip-off of it by the...*goes to LP pile* "Now Sound" Orchestra. I suppose I treasure that one for nostalgic reasons, not really for its overall quality (though the CE3K disco theme is pretty good). Speaking of contemporizing classical pieces...what do you guys think of the techno version of IM that was composed for Force Commander? In the words of Jay Sherman, "It stinks! It stinks!" Or Homer: "Ha! Burn it! Send it to Hell!" or "Sweet merciful crap!" I think you get the point.

.  I don't like any of the BSO recordings or LSO re-recordings.  Williams may like to turn Darth Vader into a black-clad Santa Claus with a helmet, but I don't.  .

What do you mean?

K.M.

I'm saying the concert versions make Vader sound harmless. The LSO original sounds serious, like you don't mess with Vader or he'll mess with you. The concert versions are like, "Ohh...he's just a silly character in a movie for kids. Like E.T.!"

The worst is the Boston pops version of the Jaws Main Title.

Is that the one on The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration?

That doesn't sound so bad to me.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I submitted a review of the Gerdhart re-recording to Filmtracks but they never published it. Here it is:

For many fans of Williams, the score for The Empire Strikes Back signifies the pinnacle of his career. With action, romance and modesty, the breadth of different themes, the depth of their development and the orchestration with which he uses them throughout the film, the score is lifted above the other Star Wars movies, and the unforgettable Imperial March has left its mark on the musical mind of society. Charles Gerherdt, responsible for recordings of the original Star Wars score and that of Close Encounters, approached Williams to record a suite for The Empire Strikes Back. Williams gladly accepted, especially adapting and writing the renditions that appear on this album. All the best moments from the score are present, with highlights from Hoth, Bespin, deep space, and Dagobah.

The Main Title is suitably brilliant and brassy, and The Imperial Probe appears in a condensed form, pleasantly moving from its opening tensions to the droids theme and the love theme. Most of the music from the Battle of Hoth is present, appearing in separate tracks (unfortunately in a confusing order) but performed with energy and charisma that has some sections ‘springing out’ from the movie’s score to keep you interested. The Asteroid Field is greatly improved with more fleshing out of the motif, for a bombastic and dynamic piece that is probably the most unique track on the album. The Imperial March, aside from its crude beginning, is an improvement on the original album’s performance, but its antithesis, Yoda’s Theme, sounds similar to the original suite, with some of the background instruments shining through on occasions. Han Solo and the Princess is an excellent piece that builds upon the music leading up to their first kiss in the film, and continues with a full suite of their theme that surprises the listener with the brief inclusion of Leia’s original theme and wonderful phrasing of the subtheme.

In the penultimate track, I was dubious of the choice to cut from Lando’s Palace, with the happy, almost naïve quality that it conveys in the film, to the fear and power of The Duel (Through the Window). This ineffective sequencing is followed by a superbly paced rendition of the escape to the landing platform, with exaggerated orchestration that fuels the rhythm of a great action piece. I find the original end credits of Empire to be a fulfilling summary of themes from the film, but Finale improves on this with greater juxtaposition of Yoda’s modesty with the might of the Imperial March, and rounds off with a spectacular finish (one of the best conclusions to a piece of music that I have heard). However, I lament the absence of ‘May The Force Be With You’, which I feel is an essential piece to musically paint the film’s conclusion and follow into the end credits.

The album is accomplished in many respects, providing a varied and interesting listening experience. Some tracks are too similar to their original counterparts, and some only deviate at certain points so as to ruin the pace of music (maybe I have the original score imprinted too firmly in my mind). Some of the music may be perceived to be edited clumsily, with some parts of an original piece on different tracks of the album (The Magic Tree has its beginning in track 5 and the rest in track 8). For some this may detract from enjoyment of the album, as tracks that were previously enjoyed now seem incoherent. A final annoyance is the fact that a track mark separates the Fox Fanfare from the Main Titles, but this is not reflected in the track listings, meaning each track number is actually one more than it appears on the case. Aside from these minor irritations, the album is recommended to those who do not yet own the score, as it does represent the finest points of the film’s music (in some form or another), and is also for those who own the complete soundtrack but want to expand their enjoyment of the music that little bit more. ***