Download my Williamsesque demo mp3

Jeshopk

:) Hi all, my name is Jesse Hopkins. I have read and contributed to the board over the years. Many times under guest because I couldn't remember my password. Here is an mp3 of an orchestral recording of my new theme. I am a composer whose main influences are John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith and Bernard Herrmann, so I think you'll like it. It was recorded with Valeri Vatchev conducting the Philharmonica Bulgarica in Sofia.

Please tell me what you think, I want to know what people who love good music think. I can take criticism, so please say whatever you think. Enjoy.

Copy and paste this address into your browser to get the mp3:

http://jessehopkins.tripod.com/legendofafterlore.mp3

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Jesse I thought it was great. Really Epic sounding. How did you get that great full symphony Orchestra sound in it? Did you actually have am orchestra or is this some sort of composers tool that you have?

Ronald C

Hey Jesse I thought it was great. Really Epic sounding. How did you get that great full symphony Orchestra sound in it? Did you actually have am orchestra or is this some sort of composers tool that you have?

Ronald C

Thanks Ronald. It's a real orchestra. I hired them to perform this through symphonicworkshops.com. It's an affordable way to hire orchestras to perform your music for demos. I don't have as much gear as some composers to make my orchestral demos sound as realistic as, say the winner of the first John Williams Fan composition contest on this page, so I just hold out until I can pay real players to perform.

Your link wasn't all that good it sent me to the tripod error page so i deleted some of info in the url to go to your main page and i got there. I saw three choices for music and they sound realy good. I especialy like the egg, BotanicalOverture was another good peice it has a classical yet modern feel to it. Especialy in the violin.

Hi Jeshopk

sadly it seems that your host has removed the piece from the server? :)

Anyway I find it awesome that you work with a real Orchestra, how much does it cost you this experience (in terms of money speaking).

One of my greatest wishes in life is to hear one of my own musical pieces to be played by a life Orchestra.

Wow thats really great! It has a nice egyptian flavour to it. Did you do the composition and orchestration for this? Thats quite the achievement!

Matt

For those who can seem to download it, just right click on the link and then save.

Thanks much Matt! Its very exciting to have feedback finally, especially from Williams fans. This recording cost me 485 US dollars plus printing cost at kinkos. This included the conductor and the recording engineer.

Scissorhands, I know how you feel about wanting a real orchestra. This is my first orchestral recording. When I got it a few days ago I was so excited after 11 years of self taught composing to finally hear my music played by a full orchestra.

Bandwith restrictions are preventing my download. If you'd like, I can mirror the file on the space I have on my Penn State server as soon as I can download it from your Tripod space. Also, Ricard may be able to provide you with some space, but I don't know. The entries for the composition contest were I believe hosted directly on JWFan.net.

Oh thanks, please do! I hate tripod. I just got my own 525MB domain today to deal with it, but it will take a day to be usable.

Did you do the composition and orchestration for this? Thats quite the achievement!  

PS to Matt, yes I did the orchestration. Some things sounded a bit different than expected, like the dynamic balance between the sections. But I like their Brass Heavy rendition now that I've listened to it a few times.

it would be great if you could make an mp3 of better bitrate, I dont think 128 gives it justice! Thats really awesome to hear that you did that yourself!

Matt

I wish I could write music... The piece is very good.

Anyway, in case the Tripod site goes dows again, or any of you have trouble with it, I've set up the mirror: http://www.personal.psu.edu/eed132/misc/le...ofafterlore.zip

EDIT: due to a high quality version being made available on a good server, I have removed my mirror... this link will 404 now.

(Sorry about the ZIP file... apparently PSU won't let MP3s be accessed or something. I had problems with it anyway.)

I really love it! It sounds very grand and epic. Did you write it for something? Or did it just come to you for no reason? Keep on the good work!

Thanks Audax and EvanED. I wrote the 3 themes spontaneously by humming into a tape recorder when I heard from a director on newenglandfilm.com that he wanted me to score his fantasy action film based in Hong Kong. (Legend of Afterlore: Runes of Alliance - the synopsis is still there) Not only that but he told me he had the Hong Kong Philharmonic for the recording. The director wanted trailer music so he could shoot a trailer to get funding. I wrota a 15 minute suite and also a trailer score and that's what you hear. Unfortunately the film was never made, but I decided to get it recorded anyway with some money a relative let me borrow.

Jesse, your piece is fluently written and I was impressed to hear a real orchestra. Samples, no matter how good and expensive, are just so static and lifeless compared to a bunch of real musicans focusing on your music and I worked with samples since the dawn of sampling and listened to many composers who are quite talented manipulating a virtual orchestra.

The money you paid, $485, is a real bargain because the orchestra sounds good an so does your music.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Hey Jesse

Could I get some more info on how you hired this orchestra? Do they charge you for every peice of music you want to record? Like lets say I want to record 4 cues will they charge me for each ? What is the specific link to hire these folks. Do you yourself have to right the sheet music for the orchestra or do they do that?

Answers to these questions would be greatly appritiated. Thanks

Ronald C

Oh, man, your piece was really an inspiration to me. It's incredible! I've listened to it at least 10 times today.

You should be very, very proud.

The past couple of weeks, I've finally come the realization that at age 28, after spending most of my life pursuing painting and drawing and earning my bachelor's of fine arts, what I really want to do is compose music.

Man, I would LOVE to hear your thoughts (or anyone's) on how I might get started. I mean, I've had a couple of years of basic piano, and I "re-orchestrate" things in my head all the time, but where do I actually start?

I've got a Macintosh and MIDI keyboard at home, so should I start buying notation software (Cakewalk?) and sequencers and stuff? Is the computer-assisted route a valid way to learn to compose?

Do I need to take some music theory and compostion classes at my local college? I am sooooooo ignorant when it comes to music.

Man, that is one AWESOME piece of music. Congrats again dude. And the fact that you can hire an orchestra for 500 bucks is incredible news to me.

Isn't it great that we all have so much passion for something like music? Think of all the poor people in this world who never get all tingly the first time they hear a new JW piece, or, in your case, compose a new work.

So much to do,

-Alan

>>I've got a Macintosh and MIDI keyboard at home, so should I start buying notation software (Cakewalk?) and sequencers and stuff? Is the computer-assisted route a valid way to learn to compose?

If you're serious about composition, get one of the professional notation software packages: either Finale or Sibelius (see the thread on Noteworthy Composer for opinions on differences; probably either will be just fine). Cakewalk really isn't made for making music for real orchestras to play and such; it's main task is creating electronic music. For instance, you can add expressions (f, p, pizz., etc.) to a part, but they are ignored by Cakewalk. In Finale (and I am certain Sibelius too, though I can't speak from first-hand experience) you can set up expressions to affect playback. Also, Cakewalk doesn't give you the layout control the other two pieces of software do.

If it weren't for tha lack of ability to handle multiplo tracks, I'd say that Finale Notepad (free) would be a better way to go. You could also try one of the products that are in between Notepad and the full-blown Finale that Coda Music offers. (I don't know if Sibelous offers similar programs.) See www.codamusic.com and www.sibelius.com

>>And the fact that you can hire an orchestra for 500 bucks is incredible news to me.

Do remember that the piece is short... I assume that this had a good bit to do with the low cost.

Wow...thanks Evan, for your informative and sage reply.

I'm already signed up to resume my piano lessons, so now all I have to do is establish a plan on how to accomplish the rest.

I do appreciate your insight. I may be consulting all of you to the point of irritation, before long.

But then, most Williams fans here seem to be pretty good-natured.

-Alan

>>thanks Evan, for your informative and sage reply.

I wish I could provide information about the important questions regarding the actual composition rather than just some technical advice about tools...

>>I may be consulting all of you to the point of irritation, before long.

I don't think that you should worry too much about that... :-p

Congratulations! I just can't stop hearing it!

It reminds me of "The Mummy Returns", don't know why... I guess it has the same feeling to me.

A very impressive piece. Nice orchestrations! I agree that samples just don't compare in any way shape or form to the real thing. They're nice to help a composer out with sketches but I hate hearing them in any other context.

Congratulations and keep up the excellent work!

I just checked out the website for symphonicworkshops.com and they appear to be based up in Toronto where I live. Very cool. I do the occasional film score and have a half dozen concert works that I'd love to have performed. Thanks Jesse for giving us composers this invaluable link.

Again, I thank you all for your feedback. This experience, of getting this piece played and having jwfans respond has really given me the confidence to go full throttle with composing for the rest of my life. I want to encourage the people on this page who may want to compose, but weren't moved in a musical direction as children to know that its never too late to start.

The past couple of weeks, I've finally come the realization that at age 28, after spending most of my life pursuing painting and drawing and earning my bachelor's of fine arts, what I really want to do is compose music.  

Man, I would LOVE to hear your thoughts (or anyone's) on how I might get started. I mean, I've had a couple of years of basic piano, and I "re-orchestrate" things in my head all the time, but where do I actually start?  

I've got a Macintosh and MIDI keyboard at home, so should I start buying notation software (Cakewalk?) and sequencers and stuff? Is the computer-assisted route a valid way to learn to compose?  

Do I need to take some music theory and compostion classes at my local college? I am sooooooo ignorant when it comes to music.  

Alan, I also got a Bachelor in Fine Arts in Painting and Drawing, but I taught myself to compose at the same time. I never took an instrument, I just knew what good music should sound like from listening to film scores so much. Although I took a few music classes through cross registration at Berklee, I found Music School professors to be haters of John Williams in general. I also infiltrated New England Conservatory to listen to their professors. In general Music School professors think modern romantic music is "derivative" and therefore useless to invest too much in. I knew they couldn't teach me what I wanted so I bought Cecil Forsyth's "Orchestration" and Gardner Read's "Notation." I also bought Overture for notating my scores (underrated pro engraving software) and a Proteus2 orchestral sound module. If you have it in your head, it can be put on paper. It can be frustrating figuring it all out, but if you have the patience and don't give up, then it will all start to come relatively quickly. Remember, all the technicalities of how to write the sounds you hear in your head are just a means to an end. As long as you have ideas and inspirations, you are already a composer. I suggest you try to write something to record at the recording fest next March with Symphonic Workshops. Also, if you get a chance, go to as many orchestral concerts as you can including free college concerts. Sit in the balcony and watch where the sounds come from. That will clear up some things about what instrument makes what sound and what their combinations are like.

Jesse wrote:

I found Music School professors to be haters of John Williams in general.

That's weird. John Williams is responsible for filling up their classes!!! It's because of John Williams' music that many people discover classical or other orchestral music. Hate? They should praise him instead.

---------------

Alex Cremers

Congratulations Jeshopk,

I was finally able to dwld your piece of incredible music and it is amazing great stuff! Thanks alot for it AND I think I can speak for many members here: give us more, please!!!!

I'm a selftaught composer too, so I really can imagine how much work and 'heardblood' it costs to create music like that.

In t

The first half reminded me of an Enterprise score. Which one? Pick one ;-)  

The secodn half reminded me of Basil's Conan.

I haven't heard Enterprise yet. Do you mean the Scott Bakula show or other Star Trek too? I definitely wanted the battle part to sound like it was made from the same ingredients that Conan music included. Like Alexander Nevsky "Battle on the Ice" and Carmina Burana.

afterlorelogo

Above is a logo for the film that this music was composed for. The film was never shot, but there's my trailer music and this logo. I hope the film's writer/director, Tim Wong, at least shoots some footage to make a trailer to get some funding.

That was incredible, a gorgous cue!

How much music did you record the day of the performance? Will there be a CD coming out :) ? Please give us more in better quality!

Best Regards

Markuz

Jesse wrote:
I found Music School professors to be haters of John Williams in general.

That's weird. John Williams is responsible for filling up their classes!!! It's because of John Williams' music that many people discover classical or other orchestral music. Hate? They should praise him instead.

---------------

Alex Cremers

Very true. :)

Cool... I'll delete my mirror then lest PSU sees music and decides that I'm pirating something...

Did you guys have a FlatLan client or anything before the recent...um, celebration of industry muscling?

Awesome, Jeshopk. You are not a fan of Rozsa? I can hear him in the track.  

Rozsa's always been one of my favorite Golden Age composers. I like how he used alot of middle register sounds. It gives things a serious and determined feeling. John Williams did it again in "The Flag Parade," but of course added tons of amazing stuff of his own to it as well.