Should Williams score an animated film?

tpigeon

Should Williams score an animated film  

28 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

The idea of him doing an animated has been floating around for a while, but nothing has ever sprung up. Personally, I think animation gives the composer almost complete freedom to write a orchetrally huge and thematically rich score, so I would love if Williams ever ventured into that realm. What do you think?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The opening titles for CMIYC were scored to an animated segment, right?

Just imagine a whole film with that kind of creativity freedom for JW. Like Hector prompted me to say, there's much more JW can do creatively...

On one hand, he's never scored any feature-length animation before, and, ostensibly, from a legacy standpoint, it would give him another opportunity to prove his versatility (OK, now I'm being cynical).

On the other hand, the Harry Potter scores show he hasn't lost his penchant for unvaried, heavy-handed mickey-mousing. (Fans of the Home Alone 2: Lost in New York deluxe treatment apparently adore this style.) If they are any indication for his approach to animation -- chiefly a children's genre -- then, musically, the project would probably not be too interesting.

Again, as Justin pointed out, it depends on the project. If he were to score something similar to Richard Linklater's Waking Life, I would fully welcome Williams to try his hand at it. But anything Disney is likely to see Williams rehashing techniques he's already exhausted.

people he has scored a full lenght animated feature.

Its called Attack of the Clones and its one of his weakest scores in more than 25 years.

And while some of the animation is very good, you would think that they could have done a better animation job on Sen. Amedala, Anakin, and Obi-Wan, they were so wooden compared to the rest of the characters.

Its called Attack of the Clones and its one of his weakest scores in more than 25 years.

And while some of the animation is very good, you would think that they could have done a better animation job on Sen. Amedala, Anakin, and Obi-Wan, they were so wooden compared to the rest of the characters.

:) Good point, Joe, as Roger Ebert pointed out, "It is important to understand that Episode II is essentially an animated film with humans added to it. This is the flip side of Who Framed Roger Rabbit, which was a live-action film with cartoon characters laid on top."

Lucasfilm will start making animated films soon..so, who knows.

BTW, in AOTC, although many scenes were shot agains blue screen, plenty of sets were miniatures, not CGI, so not all is animation.

On one hand,  he's never scored any feature-length animation before, and, ostensibly, from a legacy standpoint, it would give him another opportunity to prove his versatility (OK, now I'm being cynical).

On the other hand, the Harry Potter scores show he hasn't lost his penchant for unvaried, heavy-handed mickey-mousing.  (Fans of the Home Alone 2: Lost in New York deluxe treatment apparently adore this style.)  If they are any indication for his approach to animation -- chiefly a children's genre -- then, musically, the project would probably not be too interesting.

Again, as Justin pointed out, it depends on the project.  If he were to score something similar to Richard Linklater's Waking Life, I would fully welcome Williams to try his hand at it.  But anything Disney is likely to see Williams rehashing techniques he's already exhausted.

My thoughts exactly.

-Ross, who's just been spared of typing a complete post.

It really depends on the film itself. Many composers, when given an animated children's movie, create very childish and not very great scores. But i think, given the right material, that an amazing score can come out of an animated movie (no, not AOTC). Movies like Beauty and the Beast have beautiful scores, if Williams is presented with something like this, i would love to hear what he gets from it. Beauty and the Beast won the Best Original Score didn't it?

It really depends on the film itself. Many composers, when given an animated children's movie, create very childish and not very great scores. But i think, given the right material, that an amazing score can come out of an animated movie (no, not AOTC). Movies like Beauty and the Beast have beautiful scores, if Williams is presented with something like this, i would love to hear what he gets from it. Beauty and the Beast won the Best Original Score didn't it?

Yesh, when Alan Menken was at the height of his popularity, though I admit it helped that Beauty and the Beast was nominated for Best Picture.

You're right, composers like Joe Hisaishi have proven that animated films targeted toward "families" can have great scores. But these composers aren't Williams, and they bring different sensibilities to their tasks.

Ohh please, tell me any animated film that looks as real.

Does it realy make a difference wether the film is animated or not? Its all the same just a different style.

Well, I wouldn't have anything against it, as long as it isn't a Disney film... I'm sorry, but their standards have sunk so much throughout the past few years.

I KNOW!!! recent disney movies have been rather dissapointing. And i don't mean disney/pixar movies, i mean disney movies. Every full-length pixar movie that has been released has not dissapointed me. All the recent cartoons were just stupid, Lilo & Stitch, Treasure Planet, Atlantis (urgh :) ) ect. They just sucked and were nothing like the classics! My opinion anyway.

I love Atlantis. And why should every film be a rehash of the classics? Honestly it's a case of damned if they do or damned if they don't. According to my Disney sources of the time, for a long while John Williams was rumoured INSIDE the company to be doing the score for Treasure Planet...

And why should every film be a rehash of the classics?

Oh, come on, you know what he meant: the "rehash" he's talking about is a rehash of quality, not of content.

As for the rumor, someone INSIDE the company was greatly misguided, and not merely in retrospect. With Columbus's Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets and Spielberg's Catch Me If You Can crammed into Williams's late 2002 schedule, the idea that Williams would take on an animated film slated for a similar fall release date really strains plausibility.

Just imagine a whole film with that kind of creativity freedom for JW. Like Hector prompted me to say, there's much more JW can do creatively...

Now, admittedly, I could be way off bass here, but I don't think it matters if the film is live action or animated--the composer must score the music to fit the action/mood of the celluloid. Let me set the scene:

Captain Hero runs down a narrow hallway of rock, dodging debris falling from above, covering his head when the spray of shattered stone comes just a bit too close. Behind Captain Hero rolls a gigantic boulder, a vision of impending flattening. Suddenly Captain Hero comes up short as the hallway opens up to a lethal drop into a bottomless abyss. The only sanctuary for our hero is a vine dangling just out of easy reach. With the boulder crashing down behind, Captain Hero makes a desperate leap and barely manages to grasp the vine. He swings wide into the open chasm as the boulder behind suddenly finds empty air and start a slow plummet into the deep dark. As we hear the resounding crashing of the boulder die away, our hero's swing on the vine slows and he wipes his forehead in relief.

Now, that scene can be accomplished live action (Indiana Jones-esque) or via animation (Disney or the like). And both medium would be equally accented by the same style of music, swells and fanfare at the appropriate moments.

At least, this is what I think.

Yes, but I think what he's saying is that the images, scope and style of animated movies is very music friendly generally. There are certain types of movies that just happen to be music friendly.

I would absolutely love to hear Williams write a big score for an American animated film, preferably Disney or DreamWorks (although now that I think about it, he could write a very intriguing score for a Japanese animation film as well...). As Morn says, certain animation films are "music friendly" and they can offer the creativity, inspiration and freedom that serve as the foundations of a great score. Whilst some of us here such as Hlao-roo and Ross might see this as a needless re-cycling of material and territory that Williams has already conquered, I would nonetheless love to listen to the result. Certainly the score would have its weaknesses and detractors but I personally think Williams could really create some (more) magic in this genre (albeit potentially similar to what we have already heard before).

CYPHER

Between what?

Ray Barnsbury

No, I'm asking does it make a difference whether the film is animated or not?

What are you talking about??

He has already scored two of em!!!

Have you not seen SW: Episode I: The PHantom Menace and Episode II: Attack of the Clones??

CG muppet hour all the way.

Over the past week or so, I've come up with an awesome idea: John Williams' Fantasia. Essentially, it would be a full-length John Williams score, first, with animation being created for it. I would love to make that kind of movie. No dialogue, no sound effects. I would probably look and see what Pixar could come up with. I would like for it to be futuristic, but also very natural as well (of course, it would be set around trees). I think here lately, those two settings have been his strong compositional points. If you don't believe me, listen to Tree Song, the bassoon and cello concertos, and "The Mecha World/To Manhattan" from A.I. (and maybe you could throw the synth-voices from Minority Report in there too).

I think the film would need to be scored twice, because there are some parts I think I'd want to have scored with music and some parts scored with animation. So JW would record some of the score without animation, because it would challenge someone to fill in the images themselves; then the rest would be animated first, then scored. But I would tell John to take his time with this one, be thorough, indulge himself, outdo CE3K, and just be himself about writing the music. After that, I'd like camp out in his office or something to just to be around there when he'd compose the thing. Then I'd probably camp out in the studio too when it came time to record. When the music was all recorded, it would be time to go work on the animation and make it just as powerful, breath-taking, and awe-inspiring as the music. I envision that seeing it in the theaters will be like the only way to see this movie. That would probably be one of the most prestigious honors a composer could receive. No composer has ever had an entire movie spotlight their music by not adding dialogue or sound effects to the musical parts. Wow...does anybody have connections to Disney, Dreamworks, and Pixar? This movie can't be put off any longer...

Wow Lord, I like that idea! In fact I've already posted a similar suggestion in these very messageboards!!! In fact you started the topic yourself you THIEF! :) It was entitled "What if you made a movie?". Check it out at:

http://www.jwfan.net/index.php?name=PNphpB...t=make%2A+movie

Anyway, you went into much more detail and since we both obviously love the idea so much, all's well that ends well! beerchug Let's hope something like this gets made because that truly would be an amazing thing to behold and experience ;).

CYPHER

No, I'm asking does it make a difference whether the film is animated or not?

Well animated movies have all these big image based scenes and often songs. They tend to have very thematic music which is noticible, plus they have a... sweetness in style. :D

And Lord is Judge, sure you won't make Williams feel uncomfortable trying to be with him so much of the process? ;)

Ohh it is, I don't think that's the best way to get a great score from him, it's not an insult.

Over the past week or so, I've come up with an awesome idea: John Williams' Fantasia.  Essentially, it would be a full-length John Williams score, first, with animation being created for it.  I would love to make that kind of movie.  No dialogue, no sound effects.  I would probably look and see what Pixar could come up with.  I would like for it to be futuristic, but also very natural as well (of course, it would be set around trees).  I think here lately, those two settings have been his strong compositional points.  If you don't believe me, listen to Tree Song, the bassoon and cello concertos, and "The Mecha World/To Manhattan" from A.I. (and maybe you could throw the synth-voices from Minority Report in there too).  

I think the film would need to be scored twice, because there are some parts I think I'd want to have scored with music and some parts scored with animation.  So JW would record some of the score without animation, because it would challenge someone to fill in the images themselves; then the rest would be animated first, then scored.  But I would tell John to take his time with this one, be thorough, indulge himself, outdo CE3K, and just be himself about writing the music.  After that, I'd like camp out in his office or something to just to be around there when he'd compose the thing.  Then I'd probably camp out in the studio too when it came time to record.  When the music was all recorded, it would be time to go work on the animation and make it just as powerful, breath-taking, and awe-inspiring as the music.  I envision that seeing it in the theaters will be like the only way to see this movie.  That would probably be one of the most prestigious honors a composer could receive.  No composer has ever had an entire movie spotlight their music by not adding dialogue or sound effects to the musical parts.  Wow...does anybody have connections to Disney, Dreamworks, and Pixar?  This movie can't be put off any longer...

I convinced my working team, and we are already working on a project like that for college, only using Williams' Cello Concerto as score. We are likely to have finished pre-production by this time next year, so it'll be a long while before I can report any news. We are, of course, subejct to be get cancelled before we even shot a single frame, but so far things are going fine - mainly because we have hardly started.

Of course, I thought of making a thread about it here, but I decided to privately contact a very dear contact whom I considered the most apt to decipher Williams' music.

Ross you little beauty, that sounds awesome! And the Cello Concerto would be an absolutely magnificent template. I presume that this will be a live-action effort though right (considering the time and effort involved in animation)? Best of luck with this project and don't forget to keep us posted about how it's going and how it turns out :(.

CYPHER

I always wanted to know what would happen if two of my favorite entertainment entities came together:

John Williams & The Transformers.

I love Vince DiCola's synth & rock band score for the 1986 Transformers movie, but with the recent news of a live action/CGI TF flick coming soon (based after the G1 characters and storylines of course, not these recent hash of childish and senseless newer series), one could dream.

It would never happen though. And technically this new one won't be a fully animated movie, but would be something that I would LOVE to see happen.

I know this is off-topic, but...

I still can't see or hear how anyone can say the score is so butchered. It sounded good to me. There is alot of music that didn't make it to a cd, and I don't buy the statement that it is TPM music. Give me proof and I might believe it. I have no complaint about the music.  

-Joe on AOTC

Heh... I remember when you posted that Joe. The proof is found on John Takis' review, and if you need more, have me and/or Steef send you TPM's unreleased/unused music and DVD extracts of the unreleased AOTC music.

As for the rumor, someone INSIDE the company was greatly misguided, and not merely in retrospect.  With Columbus's Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets and Spielberg's Catch Me If You Can crammed into Williams's late 2002 schedule, the idea that Williams would take on an animated film slated for a similar fall release date really strains plausibility.

Well this rumour was from 6 years ago, when Treasure Planet was much earlier in it's development process. The tight 2002 schedule for John Williams was years away.