When you listen to Shore’s LOTR scores, which version do you listen to?

WampaRat

How do you prefer to listen to Shore’s LOTR scores?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. How do you normally listen to Shore’s LOTR scores?

• The OSTs
    • The Complete Recordings
    • Shore’s LOTR symphony
    • The rarities archive
    • A personal edit of all available recordings
    • Yes!

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Essentially: open up cue 1 and cue 2 in your editing software.  Highlight all of cue 2 and select COPY.  Go into cue 1 and try a spot near the end you think is right, and click PASTE.  Listen to how it sounds.  if you were too early, click UNDO and then choose a spot a little later and press PASTE again.  If you were too late, try an earlier spot.  Eventually you narrow it down until you get the spot that sounds good to you. 

...or just slide it back and forth?

Haha, I don't actually use Audacity, I bought Sound Forge back in the day so I use that.  Maybe it's time I upgrade to more modern software...

Glad to see the discussion still occurring on this topic. Out of curiosity (and extra free time since we’ve been recovering from COVID) I opened The OSTs for both TTTs and RotK in Audacity to try and cut certain tracks to make a chronological presentation. It turns out ok. For my money I actually prefer this new arraignment of the TTT ost. For the RoTK album though, I ended up adding a few pieces from the CR to fill in some of the musical narrative gaps (Shieldmaden of Rohan and The Passing of Theodon most notably) Also made a personal edit of “The End of All things” that includes about the first minute of “For Frodo” and then “The Eagles” substituted for the last couple minutes at the end the ost “End of all things”. 

It works nicely enough for me.

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

I love re-editing film music for personal enjoyment.  It's a fun aspect of this hobby of ours

Wish I had the time for it. I have a list of some 50 scores in my digital collection that I need to whittle down to a listenable playlist.

There are scores that I would be willing to do it for if I knew how. Hook and Phantom Menace being the only two I can think of off the top of my head.

A complete Phantom Menace with the score as intended might be my holy grail, even over Hook. Only because it was so Torn Apart

1 hour ago, Holko said:

...or just slide it back and forth?

So can I just keep each cue in its own row and overlap them as necessary or do I have to keep it all in one row before I compress?

Actually I really have no idea what I am doing whatsoever

Audacity is actually pretty intuitive once you jump into it. Yeah when you’re working on combining two tracks for example, they are stacked on top of each other. You can drag them where you need them, crossfade (*gasp*) whatever you want. And then when you’re satisfied you export them out as one single file.

I first started playing around with it when I wanted to edits some things on the Prince of Thieves expanded release back in 2017. I got confident enough to go and edit Hook and Phantom Menace eventually. 

Using it as I was making my “Episode 9: Duel of the Fates (concept score)” helped take me to another level. Lots and of practice on that one. I was most proud of my “Battle of Coruscant” Medley:)

7 hours ago, blondheim said:

So can I just keep each cue in its own row and overlap them as necessary or do I have to keep it all in one row before I compress?

In Audacity, the rows are your friend! Thr more the merrier! If you just do an Export, it renders all of it just like you hear it when you play it. Only if you select stuff from some of the rows and click "export selected audio" will it export less than that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2020 at 12:43 PM, WampaRat said:

Anyone happen to have a 70-75 min playlist made from the CRs for each film in the trilogy? (Is that even possible without chopping them up?)

On 11/30/2020 at 1:04 PM, Jay said:

Are you asking for 75 minute playlists for EACH CR, or a 75 minute best of culled from all three CRs?

On 11/30/2020 at 2:12 PM, WampaRat said:

75 from each CR.

I didn't forget about this and made several attempts to come up with something, but gave up because it's too hard.  The primary reason is because of the way Shore combined cues togther into longer tracks; It was easy enough for me to think of the major set pieces, theme developments, and story beats to get a 75 minute version of each score, but then it was impossible to make that happen with the existing tracks because many are so long and contain a cue I would want in the playlist crossfaded into a bunch of other material I wouldn't.

Sorry, I tried!