The Box Office thread

Jay

That, and the studios did it to themselves with all the streaming services and PVOD. Audiences will only go to the cinema when the film is an event, like with Barbie & Oppenheimer or No Way Home.

If it's not, a lot of people feel they can watch it at home a couple weeks sometimes days later.

In that trend, I don't think Scorsese's new film is gonna do well. It's not commercial enough I'm afraid.

I thought the first Black Panther movie was pretty bad.  Nothing I've heard has made me want to prioritize seeing the second at all (I'msure I will eventually at some point)

I did like the first two Guardians of the Galaxy movies a lot, though, and don't know why I haven't gotten around to seeing GOTG 3, or the holiday special, yet

• 5 months later...

"Director Alex Garland’s provocative dystopian thriller “Civil War” lit up the box office with $25.7 million in its debut. It’s the first A24 movie to lead the charts in North America, setting an opening weekend record for the New York-based specialty studio. It also marks the biggest R-rated start of the year." -Variety

alex-garland-civil-war-release-date.jpg