27 members have voted

1. 1.

• Seven Years in Tibet
    • Monsignor
    • SpaceCamp
    • Dracula
    • The Fury
    • Far and Away

I'm going with the astoundingly beautiful Seven Years in Tibet, even though they are all great.

PS: I included the scores which sprung to mind fastest. I'm surely missing some.

--Pelzter

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All those scores are great, but Seven Years in Tibet, as heard on the cd, is one of my top 10 favorites, so there you go.

But Dracula, Far and Away and The Futy are particulary great as well.

In this order:

1)Seven years in tibet

2)Spacecamp

3)Monsignor

4)Far&Away

5)Bracula

x)The Fury (the only important score missing in my collection, i can't judge it)

Hey where is Angela's Ashes on that list!
And where are Family Plot, Always and Sleepers?

And what's Far&Away doing there? :|

:P

I put SpaceCamp,because if you like the showy style Williams uses in E.T.,Hook and Harry Potter,then I wonder why that one isn't as popular title(oh yeah,the film is stupid)

K.M.

Far and Away, no contest. My infatuation with this score is second only to ET, and I believe it to be Williams' finest work of the 90s. Incidentally, not that this matters, it's on Filmtracks' lists of Best of the 90s and Most Overlooked Scores of the 90s.

Ray Barnsbury

Most Overlooked Scores of the 90s.

Ray Barnsbury

yes,I don't even have the "Vol.2" music,because...i forgot about it.

K.M.

Most Overlooked Scores of the 90s.

Ray Barnsbury

yes,I don't even have the "Vol.2" music,because...i forgot about it.

LOL

Peio, who couldn't distinguish between Vol.1 and 2, as the music is almost the same :(

I'm not exactly sure what "publically overlooked" means, but if it has anything to do with underrated, I can very easily offer Stepmom, one of the many masterpieces John Williams wrote in the 1990s.

As for the scores you mentioned, indeed most of them are underrated, but I'm not sure I can rate their comparative levels of "underratedness."

I suppose I'll say Far and Away. They all seem deserving of more attention but this one is maybe the most surprising to not be more recognized (of the ones listed of course). Its recent, it has broad themes, great action music and, with the scenes pertaining to Ireland, he writes music that is somehow 10 times more Irish than most Irish music. The end credits/Chieftans/orchestral blowout is pretty amazing writing and that love/land theme when performed by pan flute or penny whistle is one of my favorite themes - gorgeous.

- Adam

The end credits/Chieftans/orchestral blowout is pretty amazing writing  

- Adam

I couldn't agree with you more, Adam, and I hate it when Williams strips it of its vitality in concert by performing it under (film) tempo.

Hmm, he didn't do that when I saw him in Cleveland, but at a local orchestra's JW tribute they played the end credits too slow, and it was really subpar.

Ray Barnsbury

I haven't heard Space Camp, but none of the other scores listed comes anywhere close to The Fury, which I still say could possibly be the best film score of all time.

Marian - who has to watch the DVD again.

I voted for Far and Away, though something must be said for Angela's Ashes and Presumed Innocent.

Ted

Justin -Who needs to see the film.

No you don't. Far and Away is among Williams' poorest films he has scored.

Ted

Ah well I was talking about The Fury, I guess I last mentioned Far and Away. Hehehe

Justin -Who should be more clear. :(

The worse movie is Angela's Ashes.I wonder why Williams insists on keeping his score attached to it by adding narration from it.

K.M.

I like Far and Away, I know Neil and Marian, plus Chris Crusher all like or love the movie the Fury.

I think Dracula wasn't any masterpiece either. I've only seen bits of that film, but it isn't a good sign when you see the VHS in the ?2.99 shelf.

King Mark and tpigeon, I agree with you about Angela's Ashes. I was listening to it the other day and was struck anew by the shear beauty of the music and my annoyance with the dialogue. One of these days I really must get the version without dialogue!

But, since it wasn't an option on the poll, I too voted for The Fury.

~Mari

King Mark and tpigeon, I agree with you about Angela's Ashes.  I was listening to it the other day and was struck anew by the shear beauty of the music and my annoyance with the dialogue.  One of these days I really must get the version without dialogue!

~Mari

I got it just for the dialogue free version of Back to America,one of Williams greatest tracks ever,TOTALLY ruined on the the Sony c.d.

The Angela's Ashes movie,it's so bleak, depressing and miserable,but not in a beautiful or moving way,and the washed out colors,and it's soooo slow,I can't imagine spending a more dreadful two hours..blah...

K.M.

I think Dracula wasn't any masterpiece either. I've only seen bits of that film, but it isn't a good sign when you see the VHS in the €2.99 shelf.

It's pretty good actually :) When they meet the undead Mina in the cave I really jumped out of my seat.

K.M.

Well Angela's Ashes is one of the few scores I own on CD of a film I have never seen. I wasn't aware that there were dialogue and non-dialogue versions of the score. Mine contains the orchestral music only thank god (plus those two very skip-able songs). Which particular tracks had narration over them?

CYPHER