Ben Burtt's not editing Episode 3

mahler3

.....According to Empire's (UK movie magazine) latest issue. That should please Williams :sigh: (and of course us). As long as Lucas doesn't get another edit happy replacement to plagerise the score!

Respect is due for his stunning sound design contributions ever since the original trilogy, but we all know how poorly Williams score mix and subsequent editing has suffered in recent years due to the over zealous Mr Burtt. Lucas isn't entirely without blame as well though.

This might be old news, but first I have heard it anyway.

-Tim.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't rejoice just yet. The official Star Wars website confirmed this months ago, and Burtt is the lesser of evils when one considers who replaced him: Roger Bartt. Bartt's cinematic editing crimes include the new Bad Boys II (of which film critics are already complaining about his hyper attention-span deficient editing "style"), Pearl Harbor and Gone in Sixty Seconds. So help me God if the last Star Wars film EVER looks like an MTV video, words can't express how absolutely pissed off I'll be. Also, with potential editing that would make a crack monkey have a seizure, chances of Williams' music flowing as well as in the OT could be even slimmer. The future does not bode well...

Amazingly well.

There are MANY moments in the Prequels that have some horrible edits, with a shot being held too long or a character just standing there, looking like a moron for a few seconds. Maybe this will be fixed.

As long as the put the score in LOUD.Why is it every recent Williams release except maybe the first Potter film, the music is mixed so low.Listen to the score in CoS,AotC and A.I.,and compare that to lets say to an older movie like Last Crusade or Return of the Jedi,where the music leaps over everything else to it's full effect and impact.Putting Williams music too low in the film makes has a very unflattering effect because his big orchesrations sound a lot better when they are heard LOUD.I hate when the only way to possibly even hear the music under the SFX and dialogue is sitting down with the DVD and wearing headphones at full blast.

In the theater you should be able to hear the cues,not only the litte bits that are louder.That's why Williams music for the kiss scene in AotC failed so miserably,if you listen to the cue carefully,then you get the idea of what he was tryng to do,because it doesn't really break off,you just can't hear it.

I saw the Pirates of the Carrabean movie today,and the music was so loud it was ear shattering(it was one of the most irritating scores I ever heard,but that's besides the point),anyways,I wish Williams music would get this kind of loudness level.And even the PS mix,which i think is "louder" than some of the others,it's still very low compared to this movie and some others.

K.M.

Amazingly well.  

There are MANY moments in the Prequels that have some horrible edits, with a shot being held too long or a character just standing there, looking like a moron for a few seconds. Maybe this will be fixed.

LOL You noticed it too? Occasioanlly the angles as well... it's so bad! ;)

Here is a point I've made from the beginning.

The Prequels (story-wise) are just as good as the original trilogy. The problem lies in the pacing of the movies overall and getting down to it... the editing of nearly every single scene. A scene that should be shorter and more precise moves at a snails pace and puts you to sleep, while a scene that is exciting and should be longer is hastened on and off the screen far too quickly. This has happened FAR too much in the two prequels, while the OT had very few... if not ANY of these moments

Not to mention the disrespectful and often mindless treatment of the music, as well... but we always talk about that. :|

Now I have reason to be a little more optimistic. E3 will make or break the Prequels IMO.

As long as the put the score in LOUD.Why is it every recent Williams release except maybe the first Potter film, the music is mixed so low.Listen to the score in CoS,AotC and A.I.,and compare that to lets say to an older movie like Last Crusade or Return of the Jedi,where the music leaps over everything else to it's full effect and impact.Putting Williams music too low in the film makes has a very unflattering effect because his big orchesrations sound a lot better when they are heard LOUD.I hate when the only way to possibly even hear the music under the SFX and dialogue is sitting down with the DVD and wearing headphones at full blast.

In the theater you should be able to hear the cues,not only the litte bits that are louder.That's why Williams music for the kiss scene in AotC failed so miserably,if you listen to the cue carefully,then you get the idea of what he was tryng to do,because it doesn't really break off,you just can't hear it.

K.M.

Agreed. But not just louder... used AS WILLIAMS INTENDED... not the chopping, loops, and flip-flops... E3 has a chance to be truly GREAT... AND it has a chance to transcend suckdom.

Chris, I agree wholeheartedly. It's ALL on Episode III now. Everything depends on that movie. If it's not that great, the prequels will have ultimately failed. If it's excellent, it could very well make the other two prequels better movies. We'll see. I'm hoping for the later, doubtful of the former.

I disagree with Chris and Kevin, the first 2 films of the prequels have failed already, and even if EP III manages to be as good as Star Wars, TESB and ROTJ put together it will not chance the fact that 2 out of 3 films of the new trilogy are substandard.

Stefancos- who is 99% sure that Ep III will NOT be as good as SW, TeSB and ROTJ put together.

That's why Williams music for the kiss scene in AotC failed so miserably,if you listen to the cue carefully,then you get the idea of what he was tryng to do,because it doesn't really break off,you just can't hear it.

I said it when people bitched about what they believed to be a 'allymcbealysh momment' and nobody cared about it. The kiss in ESB is the same but the music is louder.

Luke, who nevertheless heard all music during the kiss in AOC.

The kiss in ESB is the same but the music is louder.  

I agree. I never understood why people didn't like the way that scene in AOTC was scored because Williams has used the same technique in other movies including ESB and Raiders.

even if EP III manages to be as good as Star Wars, TESB and ROTJ put together it will not chance the fact that 2 out of 3 films of the new trilogy are substandard.  

Agreed. A 33.3% success rate is still a failing grade. Moreover, the first two prequels have damaged the franchise beyond repair in pop culture. It used to be cool to like Star Wars. Now, even ardent hard-core fans of the original trilogy are turning away. Seriously, I think it's pretty bad when I find myself celebrating the fact that Lucas has chosen to do the screenplay for Episode III on his own, especially after TPM. Episode III will not be good because Lucas doesn't care and there aren't any Harrison Fords or Alec Guinesses or Gary Kurtzes onset to tell Lucas "no" once in awhile. I get mad when I see Ewan McGregor complaining about how bad the prequels are in interviews after the fact. Why doesn't he get the other actors to join with him in telling Lucas how bad the script is before it's put on film instead of whining about it when it's too late?

There are MANY moments in the Prequels that have some horrible edits, with a shot being held too long or a character just standing there, looking like a moron for a few seconds.

My all-time favorite horrible edit is the end of the meadow picnic scene in AOTC. Just awful. :)

Dole

I've always disliked the way the first Qui-Gonn/Darth Maul fight was edited in The Phantom Menace. What could have been a suspenseful lead up to this potentially very exciting event is completely and utterly rushed and the fight itself is dissatisfyingly short and almost aloof. But the worse thing is the transition from the powerful 'emotion' of Anakin's farewell to his mother in the previous scene to the flight to the Naboo starship in the desert sands. These two scenes elicit entirely different responses from the audience and they are just lumped next to each other with very little consideration of the overall effect this produces.

CYPHER - proving I'm not above a little bit of prequel bashing now and then. But only in moderation of course :) .

What about the director i suppose he has to approve all of the edited sequences, i suppose he edits some of it himself.

I saw the Pirates of the Carrabean movie today,and the music was so loud it was ear shattering(it was one of the most irritating scores I ever heard,but that's besides the point),anyways,I wish Williams music would get this kind of loudness level.And even the PS mix,which i think is "louder" than some of the others,it's still very low compared to this movie and some others.

K.M.

This evokes an off-topic remark in me, but I feel like sharing it with others, too. I have recently watched "Mary Shelley's Frankenstein" on DVD and I think the score is absolutely terrific. In the sound track that the DVD has, it may appear to be a bit too loud, but the score itself is so good that it's perfectly okay. It being so loud, it's really hard to not pay attention to the music so you can get a solid picture of what it is like even after first full "watching". It's like a stage opera, or almost like that. In the movie, it seems like there doesn't pass a second without Patrick Doyle's score. It's always there. It must be my recent favorite of the summer, next to "Mouse Hunt".

Roman.-)

• 4 months later...

According to the official site, Burtt is editing the movie. Here's the quote:

We're breaking down the first 25 minutes, which we need to have from George locked by January 5th, so that we just keep moving," describes Producer Rick McCallum.

Each day Ben Burtt and Roger Barton, the editors of Episode III, continue cutting away, finding the best takes, and piecing together continuous action and scenes to tell the story.

"What happens is that George comes in about 8 a.m, answers his mail, and works with Ben from 9 to 12:30," McCallum says, describing the typical working day. "Ben's doing all the action sequences and cutting together the animatics for those, like the opening space battle, and two other sequences that are the primary things he has to work on. Roger is doing the drama, and George works with him from 2:30 until 6."

Barton and Burtt are also identifying the missing pieces of the puzzle. With so much of the movie yet to be developed as visual effects, there is much that is missing. The editors have the tools needed to temporarily fill in the gaps. Next to Burtt's AVID workstation is a microphone. Into this, he records placeholder dialogue for digital characters or principal actor dialogue that has been changed.

I got that from here.

Neil

DANM MAN!

What happened to all my posts! They have friggin vanished!

I posted in this thread too, but for some reason it never showed up.

Anyway, its pointless to even mention this. Lucas has FINAL say over EVERYTHING in the prequels. He makes all the final decision on everything from editing to lighting to what-not.