Runaway Jury

ocelot

Watched an edit of the film yesterday and it is very good. The cast is great and good performances all around.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been wanting to see it for a while. Just the thought of Hoffman and Hackman in the same movie was enough.

John Cusack is great too and Rachekl Weisz holds her own very well with all of them. There are some great supporting character actors as well.

<--- working on 7m6 - "The Verdict"

It has not been cancelled. It will be out in the fall. I'm working on the score with Chris Young right now.

Ah. I was referring to the 1997 project with Sean Connery, directed by Joel Schumacher. According to imdb that did get cancelled. Never heard of this new project.

Anyway, good luck with your score. I'll look forward to it when the movie opens.

That sounds cool, man. Exactly what are you doing for the score, because I 'seem to have missed your name over at IMDB.

- Marc, who is glad for you. :mrgreen:

Here is the link.

http://us.imdb.com/Name?Binali,+Wael

For The Shipping News Wael was listed as a scoring coordinator, but in truth he actually ghostwriting for Christopher Young, like he did with so many of Young's scores.

Wael was actually responsible for 90% of the brilliant Hellbound: Hellraiser II, one of my fav horror scores, but a stranglehold contract denied him the credit he deserves.

Stefancos- :mrgreen:

LOL, I do not ghost write for anyone, let's get that clear!!!! :mrgreen: I basically do the fixes on a lot of the cues and although I am not "The Orchestrator", any new cues I work on I am responsible for the orchestrations with Chris before it goes out to orchestrators... That's it in a nutshell. Whatever we do here our credit always says Score Co-ordinator... (whatever that means) I can't put anything on IMDB for this film until I know if I was credited at the end of the film or not.

This is ridiculous, I'm on my 8th cue now..... approaching the bench

• 2 months later...

I'm looking forward to this one. It was my favorite John Grisham novel....for about a month, maybe two, until I read his brilliant The Rainmaker. Still, Jury was an excellent read (one I've always wanted to experience again, but there are always too many books ahead of it.... :|).

- Uni

Agreed, Uni. The Jury is perhaps Grisham's most thought-out novel, the most intelligent one in terms of plot and narrative. Meaning it is never boring. But The Rainmaker is just too passionate and sincere, too honest and down-to-earth to be anything else but his best novel. Excellent book. And excellent movie from Coppola, too.

This is not a spoiler, but for those of you who have read and loved the book, it is generaly the same story but replace cigarettes with guns......

Oh, this is so confusing with the German Grisham titles. They named "A Time to Kill" "Die Jury" when it came out, so they had to think of something other for "The Runaway Jury". It's now called "Das Urteil" ("The Verdict"). I'm curious what they will come up with when Grisham writes one called "the verdict" :|

Ah, and "The Street Lawyer" is called "Der Verrat" ("The Treason")

Well, Wael, if I had read this thread before going to see the movie, I would have stayed longer to check out your name. However ....

I just checked out the press kit we got here at the newspaper, and your name did not appear there. So it seems you did not get a listing for this one. Sorry, bud.

The score had its moments, but nothing to crow about. I wasn't expecting anything along the lines of Dave Grusin's "The Firm," but maybe something a little memorable from this guy who is trying hard to climb the ranks.

Anyway, the performances are great. I would have been happy if the movie just featured the scene with Hackman and Hoffman. That was one great piece of acting.

Jeff -- upset that Jeremy Piven was underused

uuuuummmmm, I have gone to a screening, I did get a credit, what are you talking about? I'm only listed as score coordinator, not really a credit that would make it to a press kit.... And Neil cut out my credit and sent it to me to have. So don't worry about it, I have one, trust me :|

As for the score, Chris's hands were tied. No matter how much we all laughed when doing it, he could not compose anything he wanted to. Garry Fleder had major temp love....... And I would hardly call Chris a composer trying to climb the ranks.. Not with his paycheck! LOL

As for the score, Chris's hands were tied.  No matter how much we all laughed when doing it, he could not compose anything he wanted to.  Garry Fleder had major temp love.......  

Curious exactly what you meant by the above- esp. "temp love."

"Temp love" means he really liked how the film was temp tracked (probably with other scores) and he wanted this score to sound like those scores.

Neil

Basically, yes, the temp track , awful as it was, was so in their heads at the point Chris got the movie that no matter how good a cue Chris wrote, if it didn't sound like the temp, it was thrown out.

gotcha- makes sense.

Wasn't the same sort of circumstance between North and Kubrick on 2001- although I believe Goldsmith did eventually record North's score.

Kind of... however North wrote music for scenes with no temp track, that's probably what Kubrick didn't like because he only wrote music like the temp track for the parts of the movie with a temp track. And he wrote stuff close to those in more modern musical language and reached their quality.

Basically, yes, the temp track , awful as it was, was so in their heads at the point Chris got the movie that no matter how good a cue Chris wrote, if it didn't sound like the temp, it was thrown out.

I'm curious, what music was used in the temp score?

Stefancos- expecting a pressed CD of Young's masterfull Hellbound: Hellraiser II score, so he can chuck away his CDr.

The temp had some bizarre stuff that we were all laughing over. Some stuff was good, like Thomas Newman, but some other things sounded like they came from Horror B movies to bad TV scores.... There were micky mousy hits all over the place, and I thought they were very inapropriate.

Where are you getting the Hellbound score from?

Oh Cool. Because there are certain CDs I can just go and take. I pretty much have all of his now.