James Horner's JUMANJI (1995) - 2022 2-CD Intrada Records

Jay

• 1 year later...
On 13/05/2022 at 10:31 PM, Holko said:

That, based on a first naughty listen, I hard disagree with unfortunately. Jumps all over without much consistent ramping up or development or structure, cues not connected to each other, too many stuff fighting over too little runtime, some action's a bit too much at times (monkeys), others so understated that I missed that I already went past the climax of the movie.

Well, sometimes a score just needs a listen or five more. The good stuff in this score are so good that they lived in my head and I kept giving it more chances, and now finally on the last attempt it all just clicked perfectly and I adored it all and bought it at the next opportunity. I love how much he plays around with the Jumanji theme (on my last listen I was wondering how to call it, "reactions", "destruction" or something, I can't believe I didn't think of something this obvious and simple).

All I did with my edit was keep the main program, replace Monkey Mayhem with the klaxonless version, added a segment of "A New World" with Alan's theme to the opening of the credits so that it's not such a jarring cut at the end, and added Jumanji Drums to the end.

Something strange I noticed when comparing all the material on the set was that the speed of most but not all cues actually differs between the main program and the OST (they phase at one point that is lined up close but then go out of phase quickly and keep going), going as far as it changing within the same track, Prologue is a different speed but Main Title isn't and phases perfectly!

That's weird.  It's odd how many OST albums had music at the wrong speed back in the day

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

That's weird.  It's odd how many OST albums had music at the wrong speed back in the day

That was the analog era.... vinyls... tapes... uncalibrated machines... the good old time when speed and the right pitch was not an issue!

The Home Alone 2 score album from 1992 is also at the wrong speed throughout

And there's that 1 track on the Hook OST album from 1991

In my view, the 90s were a decade marked by considerable issues concerning recordings quality, including low-resolution tape transfers, incorrect speeds, excessive denoising, and other related problems. As I've often mentioned, CDs from the 90s and earlier in your physical collection are outdated. Whenever a new remastering is available, consider double dipping without hesitation.

While it's clear what scenes all the other cues were intended for, two of them remain a mystery; these unused 30-second cues.

They can be heard in these tracks:

18. Rampage Through Town (2:23 - end)

19. Store Mayhem (0:00 - 0:29)

(Also in the behind-the-scenes featurettes.)

Anyone know what scenes they were intended for?

The first 29 seconds of "Store Mayhem" is the ORIGINAL version of the cue, and then 0:29-end is the REVISED version of the cue (that also appeared on the OST at the start of "Alan Escapes"

The ending of "Rampage Through Town" is indeed a mystery.  I guess it was intended for whatever scene appears in the film there but has no music

Thanks.

My first theory was that this part:

36 minutes ago, Jay said:

first 29 seconds of "Store Mayhem"

...was perhaps an alternate take of "Alan Arrested"

Aaand made a small adjustment to my edit - one of my favourite parts is the eartquake buildup in "Jumanji", so the performance issue at 5:16 where the something slips out of time for a bit and apparently was never picked up or done better in another take really bothered me. Thankfully it's a kind of repetitive section so I could copy the same part over from 5:22 to cover it up!