"House of the Dragon" vs. "The Rings of Power"

GerateWohl

Which of these two TV shows are you more looking forward to?   

54 members have voted

1. 1. Game of Thones Prequel vs. Lord of the Rings Prequel

• House of the Dragon (GoT Prequel)
    • The Rings of Power (LotR Prequel)
    • I am exactly equally excited about both shows!!!
    • I don't care for any of these fantasy shows.

To me the main differences between the two "franchises" have always been:

• Lord of the Rings is more about world building, magical powers and how people are able to use or resist it and how good they are at fighting against each other.
  • Game of Thrones is fantasy as well, but it is actually more about politics, intrigues, therefore it goes deeper into characterization of people since they interact on a more earthly level.

But no matter what you prefer, both were shining, when they were brillant at what they stand for. Basically, I am more interested in this Game of Thrones thing. But I still have not much confidence in both shows being good at what they are supposed to be good at.

By the way, the world building in GoT was fantastic as well, but I don't expect much new of this in the new series.

6 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Lord of the Rings is more about [...] magical powers and how people are able to use or resist it

Is it? For a fantasy, there's a shocking lack of overt magic in The Lord of the Rings, it seems to me. What you're describing has much more in common with a fantasy along the lines of Harry Potter, which is really steeped in (and founded upon) magic. The Lord of the Rings, not unlike Thrones, is fairly earth-bound and I think that's a huge aspect of its appeal, and certainly one that was played-up by the films which came across more like historical epics than something that self-consciously fantasy.

EDIT: This seems a-propos: https://www.rollingstone.co.uk/tv/news/bear-mccreary-confirmed-as-composer-of-the-lord-of-the-rings-the-rings-of-power-20549/

I'm not "excited" per se for either show as I've been significantly disappointed by the latest efforts from both franchises, but I am at least tentatively interested in both and will give them a shot. What I'm actually excited about is McCreary's score for TROP.

On 12/7/2022 at 6:02 AM, JTWfan77 said:

LotR looks like another wokefest

Ah, the exact kind of comment that can immediately convince me someone is a complete idiot.

Not for calling others idiots, but am for stating that "woke" has been so misused that any meaning has been sucked out for what could've been better described as superficial representation in cases of corporate pandering.