“I Roderyn” (The Noble Wood) by Howard Shore (Based on themes from "The Hobbit" trilogy)

SUH

I came across this interesting concert work on Shore’s official website.

Home Works.png

https://www.howardshore.com/rentals/i-roderyn/

Does anyone know what this piece is? From tabla in the instrumentation and the word ‘Wood’ in the title I am thinking it could be Woodland Realm theme related, however with the year being 2012 and the picture being the ‘An Unexpected Journey’ soundtrack, it seems it’s based on music from the first Hobbit score.

It seems odd that there’s barely any information about it online and the title seems unfamilar (with no relation to any of the OST track titles). A google search for ‘I Roderyn’ and ‘The Noble Wood’ returns few results, and they don’t appear to come from the source novel. I wonder if ’I Roderyn’ is an original Elvish translation by David Salo, it sounds like it could be from the translated lyrics to ‘The Feast of Starlight’.

The piece can be rented from Lucks Music and appears to have been performed by the Berklee Contemporary Symphony Orchestra in 2016 and the Rhode Island Philharmonic Orchestra in 2017.

Is this related to the piano book version of The Woodland Realm? There's a theme suite in there that's not on the OST.

Maybe Shore wrote this for a version of An Unexpected Journey which still included the Mirkwood stuff, before it was three movies.

• 5 months later...