Edward Shearmur's Johnny English (2003)

mxsch

For a spoof score it's really sick and awesome. It sounds better than any of the last three Bond soundtracks IMO

It's a really good merging of Barry's and Arnold's mannerisms.

Also expect plenty of choir and timpani

I'm surpirsed that nobody have talked about it there

Just check main title and awesome chase cue and you'll see what I mean

What bothers me most on the album is how often the score is interrupted with the not so engaging songs/instrumentals (minus ABBA of course)

I like it too - the album misses off some good material.

I don't see why it would be a guilty pleasure - the film is a massive Bond parody so I don't see why the score should be held to any huge standard.

Great score, great theme (co-composed with Howard Goodall). A shame it wasn't carried through the two sequel scores. 

I'd welcome an expanded edition of this, although I'm not sure how much music is not on the OST.

1 hour ago, Anthony said:

Great score, great theme (co-composed with Howard Goodall). A shame it wasn't carried through the two sequel scores. 

I'd welcome an expanded edition of this, although I'm not sure how much music is not on the OST.

I'm pretty sure that there is enough cues that failed to made it into the album, since it provides only about 39 minutes of the score. I know the film is short and about 90 minutes.

Sad that there is no recording sessions, shitty quality leak, nothing.

On 14/12/2022 at 7:11 PM, Anthony said:

Probably half. Liked this one as well!

On 14/12/2022 at 8:06 PM, mxsch said:

I'm pretty sure that there is enough cues that failed to made it into the album, since it provides only about 39 minutes of the score. I know the film is short and about 90 minutes.

Sad that there is no recording sessions, shitty quality leak, nothing.

It's worse than that - get rid of the songs and other nonsense from the album and you're left with 23 minutes of score. The film's 90 minutes so even accounting for the songs and unscored scenes, I'd guess there's a fair amount unreleased.

Eshkeri's score for the second does a slightly better job at 45 minutes, but that film's got a lot more music.

It's irritating that both were scored by composers absolutely obsessed with the 'listening experience'.