The Legend of Zelda: The Breath of the Wild

Jay

This guy completes the Eventide quest without actually activating it - he never touches the ground.  Incredible.

On 8/4/2020 at 2:41 PM, Jay said:

This guy completes the Eventide quest without actually activating it - he never touches the ground.  Incredible.

I like his hinox kill method. Turns out you can kill lynels with the magnetic box as well. You just need a shit load of stars. So now I'm inspired to pick up my game after a year break. 

Speaking of BOTW....

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

When I finished Mario + Rabbids and went to take the cartridge out and looked at my shelf of unopened games to see what to put in next.... for some reason, instead of a new game, I was drawn to put Zelda back in.  Not really sure why, but there it was.

Then one day after working all day inside, I grabbed my switch and headed out to the hammock to enjoy the fresh air and started it up and... holy shit.

The list of my saves showed that I hadn't played the game since 10/21/17.  Almost 3 years!!!!

When I last played, I had done 3 of the 4 guardians (the zora one, the goron one, and the desert one), didn't have enough hearts to pull the master sword, and had maybe 30something shrines?  I also had not explored and entire like quarter of the map, the entire upper left (er, northwest) of the map at all, still black.  I think I was 80-85 hours in?  I wish the game told me .

I fired up the save and had no idea where I was.  A bunch of wolves showed up and started attacking me, I had to remember the basic controls! :lol:

After I took care of them I saw a cliff, and figured I'd climb it.  I fell off and had to glide away, ended up at a horse stable.  Turns out I had a horse registered there I had named Spots :lol: 

A guy painting outside knew where one of my restored memories thingies was, by a statue of a horse, so I followed his directions and found the statue and triggered the cutscene which was awesome, kinda fell in love with the whole backstory and world building of this game all over again

Saw a tower and headed towards it, turns out it was the middle of a body of water and I had to deal with them, climbed up it and unlocked it and MAN I forgot how REWARDING it is to unlock the towers, fill in the map, and then just look out in the distance in all directions, see shrines and other things to mark on the map to check out later, etc.

There was a guy on top who was studying bird flight and would pay me based on how far I could fly.  I did that for a bit until my wife came outside and I realized that I had been playing for TWO HOURS and it was past time for dinner.  Woops!

And just like that, I have a new (old) obsession...

The next night I flew off the tower toward one of the shrines I saw and did that, I forgot how much I liked solving those puzzles!

Found a stable and the guy was there painting again, gave me hints about another memory location, near a certain tree on a hillside overlooking Hyrule Castle.  I headed towards where I thought it was and ended up in Guardian territory and ran away!  Circled around and eventually found the right spot, got another awesome cutscene.

At some point I remembered that you trade in shrine orbs to get more hearts so I went and did that, and then remembered about the Master Sword.  So I headed into the forest and found the Korok dude and got a much needed weapon slot upgrade, then managed to pull the Master Sword out from the ground!  Fucking awesome!!

It's really neat how they integrated it in, where it still breaks like all the other weapons, but then recharges itself over time.  Really well done.

I actually fought a Guardian yesterday.  I was wandering around somewhere, and it was not moving, on the ground; I thought it was one of those decayed ones.  But then it came to life, and legs sprouted out!  I thought I was fucked!  I switched to the Master Sword and it had a power of 60 instead of 30 now, and it was  glowing.  It was dope!  I ended up swinging it and ended up chopping off one of it's legs!

I continued and ended up chopping off all its legs and it fell over!  The laser beam was still trying to target me, but I kept hitting it with the Master Sword and it was dead soon.  It left behinds sooooooo much ancient tech, I assume because I got some for each leg.  It was really cool!

That's a fun way to kill them, but it's ill advised if two of them gang up on you. 

There's something about the music and sound effects of the guardians and lynels that channels pure fear. It's anxiety incarnate. 

I decided to finally venture into that upper left corner of the map, and boy do I feel stupid for not doing it sooner.

Rito Village is awesome, I love the bird dudes, the verticality of the village, and damn, the music is awesome, so relaxing!  Fun cast of characters there.

I went to the Flight Training Range to find the bird guy, passed his little test, and we took off to face the Divine Beast!  I loved the approach, sailing through the air firing bomb arrows at the turrets - it was one of the better ones!

The beast itself was one of the easiest ones to solve too.  Then, Windblight Ganon was BY FAR the easiest Blight Ganon to beat.  He was slow and it was easy to get elevation and fire bomb arrows at him, and when he was close my Master Sword was glowing and doing 60 damage per swing was great (it was actually more cause I always eat Attack Up food when facing bosses or tough bad guys)

After that, holy cow - the Revali's Gale is EASILY the best champion power!  IT IS SO COOL to instantly get shot up high to glide around, makes climbing cliffs SO MUCH EASIER.

If I ever start this game from the beginning again, I think I'll be going to this area first for sure, as it's the easiest divine beast to complete and the reward is so useful for everything else you have to do

I don’t know if it’s by happenstance or by preference, but every time I’ve started a new game, I’ve done the Zora beast first (extra life, especially handy early in the game) and then immediately the Ruto beast (wind draft).  I don’t regret it!

Yup that makes sense to me!  I think I remember there being some reason I did Zora first too.

I ended up getting the last 2 towers I had never gotten, in the far north west, unlocking the entire map.

Man I don't know why I didn't do this before, it's so freeing now to have all 4 champion powers, the whole map unlocked, the master sword.... every time I start the game up, I can look in my quests log for something to do, or look on the map for an area I haven't been to, or whatever, it's so awesome and freeing.  I'm having the best time playing this game now.

I can't believe I took a 3 year break from it!

I have a passing interest, only in games that take a long, long time.  The only reason I'd take it seriously though is if I were trying to beat my previous time or something.

I beat a Lynel!!!!!!

This is how it happened; I was doing some quest that involved climbing up the Gerudo Highlands to take a picture of a statue. It was cool because there's no shrines along the way or anything, so you have to do the whole trek in one long go without people able to warp out and warp back to where you left off.

At one point I was in a big open area and all of a sudden in front of my in the distance I see a Lynel.  I immediately saved my game so I could try to kill him and quickly return right where I was if I failed.  I put on my Lynel mask to get as close as I could, which mean he would charge at me first instead of firing arrows at me first.  Well, I just had my Stasis ready and zapped him as he got close, so I could walk behind him and start thwacking away with my 45mt dragonbone club, the spinning around move to get lots of his in.  Oh, and I tried shooitng him in the head with arrows to stun him.  What also helped in that champion ability where a big lightning blast comes out if you charge your spin move stuns him too.

it was hard, I died probably a dozen times before I finally killed him, but that was the basic strat I used to take him down.  I had to eat a lot of food to recover, cause I didn't always run away from his attacks in time.  But if I did run away, it was just rinse/repeat stasis-ing him as he charged at me, going being and thwacking him.

When I finally pulled it off after a dozen attempts, I felt great!  It's cool you get his weapons and shields, and his tonenails, horns, and guts, as rewards

I bought a house!

Apparently I could have done this ages ago but had no idea.  I was exploring those shipping container looking houses on a hill up by Hateno Village and this time found a foreman and some workers I had missed before (or maybe they only spawn after some certain event, no idea).  Anyways I had to collect some wood, and eventually pay 3,000 rupees (I didn't have a lot of money at this point, but just sold a bunch of rare minerals and it was easy peasy) and then I had a house!  I could only afford a wall mount at first, but it was great to store a strong / cool looking weapon there I wanted to save for later without taking up an item slot.

Many days of play later when I was much richer, I went back and bought all the other upgrades, and it's so freaking dope having a fully decked out house with a bed, a table, an apple orchard, etc.  I filled all 3 weapon, all 3 shield, and all 3 bow mounts with cool weapons, or weapons I didn't want to just carry around, and I love having a bed you can use to change the time of day while recovering hearts for free.  I love stopping in here every time I have the next weapon the kid in town wants to look at.

This is a super cool side quest!

26 minutes ago, Jay said:

I bought a house!

Apparently I could have done this ages ago but had no idea.  I was exploring those shipping container looking houses on a hill up by Hateno Village and this time found a forman and some works I had missed before (or maybe they only spawn after some certain event, no idea).  Anyways I had to collect some wood, and eventually pay 3,000 rupees (I didn't have a lot of money at this point, but just sold a bunch of rare minerals and it was easy peasy) and then I had a house!  I could only afford a wall mount at first, but it was great to store a strong / cool looking weapon there I wanted to save for later without taking up an item slot.

Many days of play later when I was much richer, I went back and bought all the other upgrades, and it's so freaking dope having a fully decked out house with a bed, a table, an apple orchard, etc.  I filled all 3 weapon, all 3 shield, and all 3 bow mounts with cool weapons, or weapons I didn't want to just carry around, and I love having a bed you can use to change the time of day while recovering hearts for free.  I love stopping in here every time I have the next weapon the kid in town wants to look at.

This is a super cool side quest!

Wait until you build a whole village!!

I'm working on it!

What do you guys think about the implementation of dragons in this game?  I think it's amazing.

For about 120 hours of play, I occasionally saw them in the sky, and it was always awesome and magical every time: The music, looking up and seeing them carelessly gliding, etc.  

I thought that was all there was to them, honestly.

Then one day, I'm way up north of Death Mountain.  I had some quest that involved taking pictures of leviathan bones, and I saw some up there on the map.  I took a picture, defeated the giant cache of tough enemies camped out inside it, looking around for stuff, etc.  Was deciding whether to keep wandering or warp somewhere else, when ALL OF A SUDDEN, a GIANT DRAGON appears out of nowhere from the ground right next to me, and starts flying!  I whip out my camera to snap a pic and see his name is Dinraal, which triggered something; I had recently been looking over my open quests and remembered one I had picked up 3 years ago,about putting Dinraal's scale down by a fountain.  Well, I had no clue what that meant at all.  But now finally seeing this guy's name, I whipped out my bow and fired off a shot at him , and something landed and I went and got it, and it was his scale!

So I went to the spring and used it and got that shrine, which was cool.

Cut to a few days later, I'm up in some area with a bunch of waterfalls and all of a sudden another dragon appears out of nowhere, I arrow it for another scale.  That's when I realized the Spring of Power existing likely meant there was a Spring of Courage and a Spring of Wisdom too, but I had no idea where they were.

Randomly, a few days later, I'm wandering in Hateno Village, and randomly find this farmer guy tending crops I had never managed to see in 130+ hours.  He tells me something funny is going on with the mountain nearby and i should explore it, so i climb up there and when I get to the top, holy shit!  There's a dragon covered in malice.  Clearing all the malice by paragliding and taking them out was awesome, then afterwards it walks you through hitting it with an arrow to get a scale, and using that to unlock the fountain.  Woops, I guess the game kinda meant I would have found this before the other ones!  

I dunno how I never found the guy who sent me on this question before.

So now I gotta find the third spring, wherever that is, since I already have the right scale.

Meanwhile, I only recently learned you can upgrade the damn Champion's tunic; I like throwing it on from time to time to see enemy HP, but now that I've actually been upgrading a lot of my armor sets, it low defense of 8 isn't practical.  For some reason I thought you couldn't upgrade it, but I was hovering over every item last night see what I had to collect and saw it needs 2 freaking dragon horns to upgrade, so i gotta get farming...

@Jay

Dang, that takes me back to when this game was first released.   The dragons were so mysterious to me as well.  The music would play, and wind would blow, and I'd either hide or just look in awe, wondering what to do.

Now with well over 400 hours in the game + 999,999 rupees later, my main reason for seeking out the dragons, are their horns.

1 Dragon Horn + 4 Bananas = +3 Attack for 30 minutes.  A dish that I use when I go on a Lynel hunt.  (aka killing every Lynel on the map, get their amazing weapons, sell their gems, rinse and repeat). It's the one way that has made going back to BotW super enjoyable to me.

But yes, they do upgrade some armor.  I can't remember if it's just the Champion's Tunic or others as well.

I really love this game.

Yea I got 2 Farosh Horns last night and finally upgraded my Champion's Tunic to 2 stars.  Now I need 2 Naydra Horns to get 3 stars.  I assume I'll need 2 Dinraal Horns for 4 stars.

After I farm all that, I'll see what other body parts you can hit to get different drops.  So far I've just gotten scales from the body and horn shards from the horn.

It seems a bit odd to me there are only 3 dragons in the game, when a lot of other things come in fours.

I love eating the Attack Up food (I just cook 5 mighty bananas at a time), but I assume with the upgraded Barbarian Armor, you get permanent 3x Attack?  I need to farm tons of Lynel parts before I can upgrade it, though.

Last night I found out I missed an entire set of armor, or at least forgot about it; The freaking Stealth set in Kakariko Village!  I think it was too expensive for me to buy early game, and then just completely forgot about it.  Now that I have it I see the wonders of being stealthy, something I never did much before.  For example, it makes it way easier to collect butterflies, lizards, fish, etc.  Also, when creatures are sleeping, you can much easier sneak up to them and one-shot kill them.  How did I not know about this before!?

It's so funny what things some people find early, and what some people find late.

I only recently-ish (I'm over 140 hours in as of right now) realized there's freaking climbing set in this game.

Probably 110ish hours in, I randomly talked to some NPC in Hateno who showed me 3 cedar trees up on a mount, and said there'd be a shrine if I line up my back to them, by the ocean.

A while later I was out in that area and randomly found the shrine it was talking about (I couldn't even see the trees from where I was so I dunno what that's all about) and it had climbing boots inside.  I was thrilled that some item existed to speed up climbing, but figured it was just a one-off like the sand boots or snow boots.

Maybe 120ish hours in, I'm going around clearing all the Major Test of Strength shrines I completely ignored 3 years ago when I was weak, that I smash through now with Master Sword, shock arrows, statis, and Attack Up food.  One of them gives me the Climbing Armor and I'm like holy cow, there's a whole set!

130ish hours in and I haven't found the headpiece for the set yet, so I cave and google it; It turns out it's in some shrine I did forever and ever ago; One of the dueling peak shrines, which was like among the first dozen shrines I ever did!  I headed over there and found a bounty; There are 3 shrines all near each other there, one of them I had never even unlocked before!  The 2 that involve taking a picture of the balls in the ground to solve the other I never did before so got both of those; The climbing bandana was in a shrine I had beat, but hadn't gotten the chest.  Trying to figure out how to manipulate a ramp to get up to the chest was harder than solving the actual shrine again!

Now I love throwing on the climbing gear anytime I'm climbing, it's so awesome how much it speeds things up already, and I can't wait to get the 2 star version to see what the bonus is (I'm hoping it nullifies the rain slowdown of climbing).  But I need to farm freaking electric keese wings and hightail lizards to unlock it...

Yup the bandana is in a shrine on the dueling peaks which most people will arrive at pretty early.  I cleared that shrine early, but missed the chest that had it in it!

It looks cool too

You guys ever dye any of the clothes?

I only dyed the Snowquill set, to a white color, looked way better than the default

Other than that haven't bothered

I never did any dying of clothes.  I started the buy a house/village questline in my first playthrough, but never got around to it in my 2020 playthrough.  I did, for the first time in this playthrough, level up a lot of the clothing.

I'm having a great time leveling up the clothing right now.  Basically head towards where I think I can find an ingredient I need and always end up running into other fun stuff to do along the way.

I'm amazing how much better combat is when you can actually take a bunch of hits from bad guys without dying thanks to the defense on your clothes being way up

And likewise, how much quicker you can kill them when your attack is up (due to clothing or food)

Hmm, I don't think I know what that is

I think I hit either 86 or 90 shrines last night.  I can't believe I still have 30 to go!

I only have 2 Shrine Quests currently (one about a Rito pillar, and one that was a painting on a wall that is supposed to be a clue) but I have no idea how to find either

There's gotta be a bunch of entire areas I haven't really explored.

I know the DLC includes a feature where it shows you everywhere you've walked over your past 200 hours of play but I dunno if/when I'll buy the DLC.  It would be useful to more easily figure out where I've never been before though

I bought the DLC, got the Warp tile.

You get the Motorcycle from that I think?

I also got Amiibo cards for the game too

The DLC is fun but not really essential.  It gives you a bunch of new chests to search for across the map, usually with clothing items.  There's the motorcycle and the journey it takes to get there, which is somewhat challenging.  There's like a master sword combat challenge or something that held very little interest for me.  For exploration purposes, knowing where you haven't been on the map is pretty nice.

I guess it's different if you do it as a separate experience after you've already done everything that was in the main game, vs picking away at it all concurrently while playing through the game initially.

Unless they require you beat the game first before doing any of it?

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Unless they require you beat the game first before doing any of it?

Didn't  seem like that to me.

Beating the Master Sword trial will make it strong at all times, instead of just around Guardians.

What do you guys think of the Labyrinths in the game?  Those big square high-walled things you can see from the map.

I'd been seeing them since forever, and never got close to one until I dunno, 120something hours in.

I had a quest where a lady wanted a picture of a Stalhorse, and she said they could be found up a snowy field, east some some strange ruins.  Well I headed up there, and the ruins turned out to be one of the labyrinths, so I figured what the heck, and headed in.  It was cool because it was a different from the shrines, and different from the divine beasts.

Overall, I kind of feel like they took the experience that you used to get from dungeons in the old Zelda games, and broke them apart into their elements and spread those out, into shrines, beasts, and the overworld bosses (Lynel, Hinox, Talos, etc).

Anyways, it was a bit tough to work my way through the maze, until I realized there was points you had to look up to find other openings.

A bunch of hours later, I figured what the heck, and did the one down by Gerudo desert, which was similar, a bit trickier with finding the way around that isn't seen on the map (IE, being inside tunnels that look like you're in the walls on the map).

Just recently, I finally figured I'd pick off the last one, and flew to the one in the northeast.  It had guardian scouts flying over it so I thought it would be tough, but it was the easiest one by a mile!  The flying gaurdians don't even see you once you're inside, and while I had to fight a regular guardian right away, I don't think I saw another one, or any other enemy other than some keeses.  It was actually kind of fun to purposely wander into every dead end looking for treasure chests, but then the actual path from the entrance to the shrine was super short, the easiest of all three.  Huh.

After clearing the shrine, some cool hole in the ground opened up, and down there was a giant room the size of the whole labyrinth filled with dead guardians you can search for parts, a few turrets that come alive if you get close (you can just turn on stasis to see which ones) and like 2 that walk around.  It was down here I finally taught myself how to do the shield parry correctly; Once you learn that, you can reflect their beams back to them and kill them in like 2 blasts!  The only downside is if you mess up the timing, they destroy your shield; I lost three 55 DEF shields practicing.  Woops!

I got enough stuff to get my Barbarian armor up to 2 stars, now I need to farm ancient cores to get 3 stars....

Inspired by this thread, I repurchased Breath of the Wild yesterday on the Switch, will go through it after I complete Alien: Isolation. 

Regarding the DLC, if you want to do the Hero Mode, you have to start a new game...I don't remember how it works with the other DLC elements, but I would recommend doing it concurrentlywiththe base game, as it's diminishing returns the farther along you get. The Master Sword trial is basically a more confined Eventide Island, where you have to improvise and strategically use the game's base mechanics and environments to defeat the enemies. In other words, it's badass. On Hero Mode, it gets extremely difficult, since enemies' health replenishes, in addition to them causing more damage. 

The story stuff is cute but won't assuage anybody disappointed in the main story.

Nice!

Yea, I'm contemplating buying the DLC now, and just picking away at whatever it entails, instead of doing every last thing the main game already had and then saving all the DLC stuff as its own experience for after... I think it makes more sense that way.  idk.  I doubt I'll do any of the combat-intensive stuff from that, and have no interest in Master Mode, but extra shrines, weapons, and armor + being able to see my walking path really interests me.

BTW, speaking of Alien Isolation, I saw some interesting videos and articles that basically said the Switch version actually has better graphics than the PS/XB versions.  What do you think?

Had something odd happen last night

I was on some island near Hyrule Castle, because my shrine sensor was going wild and I knew a shrine had to be there.  Climbed a little mountain on the island where it was beeping the most, looked in the distance, and saw a beam of white light shooting up into the sky.  So I used my scope to put a pin on it, and saw it was basically on Satori Mountain.  So I immediately abandoned what I was doing and warped over there, headed toward my pin, and saw a group of those glowing bunny things hanging out by a lake, with this crazy glowing horse thing hanging around too.  He charged at me then dissappeared.

I walked around a bit and he came back, and I was able to mount him and had to use ton of stamina to calm him down.  Then I could ride him like a horse, but at one point I hopped off to go investigate something, and when I came back he was gone.

WTF was that all about and what am I supposed to be doing with him!?

There is a mission or two about him - might need to get a picture?  But I also stumbled upon him unawares.  Really neat to go in not knowing about it!  IIRC the rupee bunnies are always there, even when he's not - if you're looking for a cash infusion (although it's not SUPER easily accessible by warp)..

One other thing I didn't realize until I made it all the way past beating the game - you can mount and ride deer!  Found out about that on some music-playing-Ruto shrine mission in the middle of a field near Kakariko.

9 minutes ago, mstrox said:

One other thing I didn't realize until I made it all the way past beating the game - you can mount and ride deer!  Found out about that on some music-playing-Ruto shrine mission in the middle of a field near Kakariko.

2251782-ruto_grownup.png&sa=U&ved=0ahUKE

Oh poop, I didn't even think to take a picture for the compendium.  Damn!

I don't remember if I had any quests about him; If I did I would have kicked them off 3 years ago.  I'll check the quest log next time I'm playing.

So basically if you can maneuver him off the mountain, you can ride him around the whole map like any other horse?  But if you stray too far away from him he'll disappear?

So the only point is that he's cool looking, basically?  Or does he buff your attack when you're on him or something?