The Official Zbigniew Preisner Thread

Thor

I love his work too, thank you @Thorfor the tip about his new album !

To the ones you've already mentionned, I'll add Silence Night and Dream, and 10 Pieces for orchestra (both non film). 

Great composer, his music is melodic with great use of piano and strings.

My favorite scores:

1. It's all About Love

2. Lost and Love

3. Menachem & Fred

4. When a Man Loves a Woman

5. The Beautiful Country

6. Anonyma, Eine Frau in Berlin

7. Aglaja

8.  Bleu/Rouge/Blanc

9. Feast of July

10. Un Secret

18 hours ago, Thor said:

Bleu/Rouge/Blanc

Bleu is the superior listening experience, IMO.

13 hours ago, Cristian Lee said:

It's all About Love

I found this rather unsubstantial. 

I'm 99% sure I was taken to see The Secret Garden at the cinema as a kid but I was nowhere near the age that the music would've left any lasting impression. The track above is pleasant enough and I'll give it a whirl on Spotify (Varese's 30-minuters strike again I see) although if it's essentially just a half hour of flowery piano/string/woodwind material it may not be my thing. Although Doyle did what sounds like a similar sort of thing with All Is True and that's one of my favourite scores.

9 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I'm 99% sure I was taken to see The Secret Garden at the cinema as a kid but I was nowhere near the age that the music would've left any lasting impression. The track above is pleasant enough and I'll give it a whirl on Spotify (Varese's 30-minuters strike again I see) although if it's essentially just a half hour of flowery piano/string/woodwind material it may not be my thing. Although Doyle did what sounds like a similar sort of thing with All Is True and that's one of my favourite scores.

So… it’s honestly not just a half hour of that material, but I will sadly admit that the Varese album does focus much more on that material and only has a little bit of the great darker stuff that permeates the film. A Deluxe Edition release would do wonders in terms of reappraisal of this great score. If you view the film again and then revisit the Varese, you’ll notice giant chunks of musical story and development are missing.

Yavar

6 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

That's a high ranking! I seem to remember this score as quite insubstantial. 

It's such a unique score in the mood it creates with the female voice, piano and strings it has a fascinating effect on me. Also I like how Preisner uses silence and pauses to create mood. "It's Time" is one of my favorite cues of all times. 

Interesting selection as your number 1, Christian. I haven't played that much, but you've prompted me to do so again. But glad to see other gems on your list, like LOST AND LOVE (beautiful Caldera release) and FEAST OF JULY (although some of the folksy elements I've had to tone down).

Sure is! I've loved it since I first saw the film in the 90s, but I've only had a digital file release for the last 10 years. Then, just a couple of weeks ago, I FINALLY got the ol' CD release of VERONIQUE. Feels good to finally have it in physical format.

These days I listened for the first time to the album Our World released in 2017 and it's great, after a few listens it quickly became one of my favorite. I have no information about this project I couldn't find anything about it. The album consist of ten suites which are quite long, 6 or 7 minutes. I like this because it's departure from other Preisner's scores when we have short cues. Preisner use some of his material from other scores but I also hear new music. I think I need to remake my top 10 and include this album because it's amazing! I recommend this for any Preisner's fan. Does anyone else listened to this album? 

Cover.jpg