"X-Men '97" Thread [2024 Disney+ continuation of the 90s series]

X-Men '97 x Episode 1 & 2

This was fantastic!!! Animation improved and they take full advantage of that, fantastic action scenes, a great story with a strong emotional hook and a true shocker in the 2nd episode. This feels like the animated series from the '90s but it expands on it in a lot of incredible ways.

The score by The Newton Brothers is also fantastic. The main themes as present as always in a few fantastic new arrangements. The rest of the score is still very synth based, with added orchestra in some action moments and emotional scenes. I already can't wait to hear it on album!

I also watched the first two episodes the other day. People behind this clearly get what X-Men are about. I love all the nods to the comic books I used to read as a kid. I hope the MCU version will be more like this - deep philosophical questions and a bit of fun off-beat family soap drama. Make it about stuff but don't brood. So far, I am hooked.

Karol

X-Men '97 - Episode 3

I thought this was another great episode. I appreciate how dark and trippy they went.

Voice actors are really having a lot of fun with the material.

And as much as I love the original series, it's so cool to finally see action scenes were people aren't just thrown around. The animators and creators really know they're X-Men and just have fun with it!

Yup, really enjoyed it to. It brings up so many memories of reading older classic comic books. Think we should have a separate thread for this.

Karol

Welcome fellow mutants from all corners of the world ro this new thread for The Gifted! This is the place to discuss the new Disney+ series, its music, the old series...and everything else X-Men related.

@Jay would you be so kind and move the posts from MCU thread to this one? Seems like the most appropriate place for these posts discussing the new episodes.

EDIT: Thank you @Jay! 😀

Karol

This is great!!!

I recently (re)watched the orignal series. I saw season 1 & 2, but never finished it. I had such a blast with it.

It's very much of it's time and I'm really loving how the new show is able to both keep it feeling like that, while still taking it into the modern world.

The best thing to happen to this series is the improved animation. This is especially noticable in the action scenes and the backgrounds. So much more is able to be done, which makes it even more interesting to watch.

Also loving the music by The Newton Brothers. The new rendition of the opening is great and they're doing some interesting stuff in the episodes themselves.

I've become ultra hip to, and wary of, the tricks of the legacy sequel, but the first episode was pretty good. I'll give some more of it a shot. The Animated series will always be X-Men to me, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

I watched the first two episodes and I quite enjoyed it! I like that the story jumps straight into action, not wasting a minute to develop the plot. The animation has that vintage vibe, and sometimes really feels like it's a moving comic book panel. Really excited for where they go next during the season.

The Newton Brothers score is great, and I love the big presence of the synths in the work. I particularly liked the whole action sequence in episode 1, that I hope it's included on the album release!

On 28/03/2024 at 11:42 AM, crocodile said:

Welcome fellow mutants from all corners of the world ro this new thread for The Gifted!

Not to be confused by the Fox show "The Gifted" that I think was connected to the films.

am not super familiar with the original series but have been a big fan of this so far. it feels like a real oddity in the current media landscape, something that fires on all cylinders and modestly updates the 90s superhero format for the modern age without clumsily cramming in the 21st Century

absolutely adore what they've done with Magneto in particular

I love some of the small nuggets they leave for the fans of the comics, like when Gabit has a vision of Magneto and Rogue. I remember reading this as a kid and that visual reference made me smile:

Uncanny_X-Men_Vol_1_274.jpg

Karol 

Episode 4

The only episodes I did not like of the original series are the one that featured Mojo. He is one of the most annoying characters I've ever witnessed, so when he showed up here, I was mad. I really hated it.

But, besides him I think the episode had some fun stuff to offer. The different animation style for one the games was fun and it was nice to see Jubillee get some character development after such a long time. I feel like she earned it. Seeing her power up was incredible!

Music was great as well. I especially loved the 8-bit version of the main theme.

But then, after 17 minutes it suddenly transitioned into the first part of a new episode focused on Storm! Now that was a nice surprise!

Storm has always been one of my favourites, so whenever something is focused on her, I'm game.

It maybe went a bit fast and could've used a bit more time, but I'm curius to find out what happens next.

It was a very odd episode, very chaotic. I bet this will all lead somewhere. It's odd how it shofts between two different storylines.

And yes, Storm is one of the greatest characters. It's heartening to see her done right again. The live action version was so disappointing.

Karol

Storm in live action has indeed never really reached full potential.

There were glimpes, like in Days Of Future Past when she attacks the Sentinels or in during the final battle in Dark Phoenix. But both were all too brief.

I'm looking forward to what they're doing with her here and in the future of the MCU

Overall so far I've definitely enjoyed this series. 

The animation has been stellar and the voice cast old and new have been great, except maybe Gui Agustini as Roberto, I find his delivery of lines to often be flat, like he's only reading them for the first time and doesn't convey the emotion that perhaps the script requires. If that makes sense? 

On 03/04/2024 at 4:13 AM, JNHFan2000 said:

The different animation style for one the games was fun

I believe that's a visual reference to the early 90's 6-player Konami arcade game.

Episode 5

Great episode!

My favourite thing of the whole episode was probably the line about leaders & terrorists. That was very strong 

The second half took a dramaticly dark turn. Did not expect that. So many casualties and destruction.

The action remains spectacular to watch, with power usage I've been waiting to see for so long.

But the end left me speechless. That was tough to watch.

The music this episode was strong. But the best part was that during those final moments there was no music. Made the impact even stronger. This series is really incredible!

Oh, and if you watch closely to the sky around the 20:40 mark someone else shows up very briefly😏😏

that went unreasonably hard

great action and bonkers stakes, Magneto comforting the Morlocks by saying 'don't be afraid' in Polish was very powerful

agreed on the no music part, it definitely contributed to this feeling of something being very wrong. this honestly felt like an animated equivalent to Infinity War's ending

kind of a hilarious tonal whiplash compared to last week's episode, there was some really heavy stuff in this one, not least Cyclops losing it and basically taking the Magneto-pill for a good 30 seconds

Episode 6

Well well... He's back!! Glad to see it.

That Storm transformation was incredible! Music really helped with it as well.

Yeah, really nice episode. I really love Storm's voice. It sounds commanding and mighty. I think that it might be even better than un the original.

Four more!

Karol

This show continues to be great and I'm honestly looking forward to the remaining episodes! 

That rendition of the X-Men theme over the credits of episode 5 I'm hoping is on the soundtrack release. Which I think is coming? I noticed in episode 6s end credits that it said the soundtrack was available on Hollywood Records but Google so far only brings up the main theme being released as a single, so presumably something will get released once the series is finished. 

This latest episode I was particularly struck by Alison Sealy-Smiths performance. It really felt like she was able to flex her acting chops in a way that the original show might not have allowed her to. 

5 hours ago, Groovygoth666 said:

That rendition of the X-Men theme over the credits of episode 5 I'm hoping is on the soundtrack release. Which I think is coming? I noticed in episode 6s end credits that it said the soundtrack was available on Hollywood Records but Google so far only brings up the main theme being released as a single, so presumably something will get released once the series is finished. 

Yes, album is coming when the show is done end of May.

Bright Eyes was another fantastic episode.

Really strong opening with the fu eral and Rlgue after that. Wolverine's quote of "grief is a lonely thing" was very powerful.

The way they showed the aftermath of the Genosha attack really felt like the aftermath of a terrosist attack. Again very powerful.

Rogue was the standout this episode for me. She had so many fantastic moments + a very cool interaction with a certain somehow!!

I was quite shocked at the end and all that happened. Very interested to see where it goes.

Theo James does a great job on the voice so far!