What is the last film you watched?

MrScratch

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was just terribly noisy, squeaky and screamy.

Kinda like your opinions eh Alex :mrgreen:

Said he who was banned for expressing his. LOL

Oh my god, 2010 (Peter Hyams) is even more terrible than I remembered. I even felt a little sick when 'Also Sprach Zarathustra' was accompanying the last shot. What an awful movie this is. Although, Hal is always likable.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Oh my god, 2010 (Peter Hyams) is even more terrible than I remembered. I even felt a little sick when 'Also Sprach Zarathustra' was accompanying the last shot. What an awful movie this is. Although, Hal is always likable.

Hyams. What a hack.

Neil - who would love to see a Cremers / Figo debate

...no one knows what happened to him...

...same thing with Harry Potter (many theorize he was eaten by Stefancos)...

...and of course Director...the poor soul...

Justin -Ah the unsolved mysteries of JWFan...

Looked terrible to me. All I saw were these faces trying to look mean and a lot of blue-tinted animation. I thought about The Matrix twice during the trailer.

And to be more accurate, I thought about Stargate and Dune and even LOTR too.

----------------

Alex Cremers

The DVD of Ghostbusters II. A severe disappointment. Not the film (I've seen the film countless times before), but the extras sucked balls. The first one had a load for a film that age, and here we only get some bios and facts, and a trailer (which was also on the DVD for GB1). No commentary, no deleted scenes, not even a promotional featurette. Just a trailer. Apparently they thought it was enough, because for some reason, the Bonus Materials have their own subtitle menu. All that just for a trailer. Blech.

The movie was all right, as it always has been. It's not great, and a pretty mediocre sequel. It doesn't come anywhere near the genius of the original, despite the obvious paralels (sp?). It's more of a remake than a sequel, because the film follows a similar structure.

Then again, seeing the Statue of Liberty walking through Manhattan always brings a huge grin to my face.

I did get to see some new stuff, though (apart from finally seeing this film in widescreen), because the version I had taped off TV cut to black right after the guys come out of the museum, so the network could insert commercials straight after, while on the DVD the credits continue over unused footage of the cast, and even an extra scene where the Ghostbusters are honored and the Statue of Liberty is back in place.

- Marc

Saw the trailer for Collateral. Looks very good to me, Finaly a different part and different look for Cruise. Back to the dynamic Michael Mann, the one from Heat and The Insider, not the bad Ali.

I also saw the trailer, it looked interesting, Cruise being an old hitman but the teaser was so short there was nothing to really hook me.

Said he who was banned for expressing his.  LOL

I'll give you this - you do make sense, even if it does come with a sickly dollop of elitism. :angry:

Last film I watched Pollock, turned it off after 15 minutes.

Watched 3 films in the past few days that I hadn't seen before.

The Untouchables

Wonderful. Great entertainment, great score, and Robert DeNiro chews up the scenery.

Also, I need to rent more DVD's or something. The Pan & Scan version looked like shite.

Alien

Not as scary or shocking as I had expected, but at points pretty claustrophobic. I didn't find the dinner scene where the alien appears to be all that shocking. I guess it's because I knew what was going to happen.

I wanna see Aliens now.

Big Fish

Finally got to see this film, and on a big screen. Wow. One of the best and most wonderful films I've ever seen. The fantasy fun drips from the screen. In my book, it's the best film from 2003, passing both The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (3) and Finding Nemo (2).

I'm going to see the much-acclaimed Lost in Translation in 2 weeks. Another one of those "best of" films, but I wonder if it'll reach my top 3.

- Marc

Alien

Not as scary or shocking as I had expected, but at points pretty claustrophobic. I didn't find the dinner scene where the alien appears to be all that shocking. I guess it's because I knew what was going to happen.

I wanna see Aliens now.

- Marc

Is that all you have to say about a classic like Alien? Of course, nothing shockes you anymore. The reason for that is pretty clear. Alien has been used as a source for inspiration for a thousands films or more. You literally seen Alien in countless of movies with a different name, different titles. They came in all sort of shapes and sizes. I'm disappointed that you didn't notice the incredible style in which this movie is told. Have you payed any attention to the photography? The incredible sets? The timeless look of this film? Or the natural way of acting, like the camera isn't even there? How the score works almost unnoticeably? The sum of all these aspects makes it one great achievement. Were you only expecting a popcorn ride? If you did then may I suggest you see Aliens.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I knew about the chestburster scene before I saw the film, cause i saw Spaceballs.

No it was no surprise to me, but still it's a incredible powerfull scene, that completely stops the film in it's tracks.

I understand back in 79 some people ran from the theatre in horror?

No it was no surprise to me, but still it's a incredible powerfull scene, that completely stops the film in it's tracks.

The thing is their reaction to the chest burst wasn't even acted. The actors themselves were flabbergasted by it.

----------------

Alex Cremers

The Untouchables

Wonderful. Great entertainment, great score, and Robert DeNiro chews up the scenery.

Also, I need to rent more DVD's or something. The Pan & Scan version looked like shite.

There should be a law preventing people from seeing DePalma films panned and scanned.

Neil

The Untouchables

Great movie. Great acting, fantastic look, great score.

There should be a law preventing people from seeing DePalma films panned and scanned.

Definatly. The mosy stylisticly gifted directer currently working, his deserve to be seen in their full glory. Though he really needs to make a film that balances style and story. I see him trying to break out a bit The Untouchables and Carlito's Way, but then he goes overboard with something like Femme Fatale.

Finished the Godfather trilogy, I do admit it's prolly one of the best movie series of all time. Pacino's acting is great in all 3, although in part 3 it sorta goes downhill. I will enjoy watching them over again

But surely you must have noticed that The Untouchables is also a little too melodramatic, which is most evident in the iconic-like character of Jim Malone, played by Sean Connery. Sadly, the film can't lift its own pompous weight and therefore is doomed to remain in The Godfather's shadow forever.

----------------

Alex Cremers

The Untouchables

Neil

There should be a law preventing people from seeing any film panned and scanned.

- Marc, who hates the foolscreen format, but enjoys watching movies too much to boycot television broadcasts.

Finished the Godfather trilogy, I do admit it's prolly one of the best movie series of all time. Pacino's acting is great in all 3, although in part 3 it sorta goes downhill.  I will enjoy watching them over again

The Godfather- again, my favorite movie. I don't think 2 is as good or 3 is as bad as people say, but is THE masterpiece.

Actually I thought 2010 was a pretty good movie. Certainly not as good as 2001, but way better than say mission to mars and many other recent 2001 wanna bes. But 2010 was just fun, 2001 was meaningful.

I saw Boogie Nights, a very good movie with interested perspectives on sex and violence. Ego and inferiority as a motive.

But surely you must have noticed that The Untouchables is also a little too melodramatic, which is most evident in the iconic-like character of Jim Malone, played by Sean Connery. Sadly, the film can't lift its own pompous weight and therefore is doomed to remain in The Godfather's shadow forever.  

the film doesn't stay in the godfather's shadow at all, its a wonderful film in its own rights. There is no need for comparisons. Each came at its own time, and can be enjoyed for all the reasons a good film should be.

Now to my most recent film,

Watched the Bad Seed today. Oh how I love this film. True is melodramatic, but thats one of its wonders, and Patty McCormack is

so wonderfully cold and blood thirsty. The Hollywood ending gets a bad rap for some reason. It always makes me giddy with joy.

There is no need for comparisons.

True.

Just saw Last Samurai again. I think the movie has a lot of great stuff in it. It starts off a bit slow, but every single scene with Ken Watanabe is great. I think the movie is near great, not quite there, but a really great effort.

One thing I really noticed is that Zimmer's score sticks out in the begining, it some times is far too noticable, but once they settle in the village, it turns into a masterful score. Not a huge pounding noble theme like in Galdiator, but the theme is very good for the movie, and the quiter themes are great. He rally gets the feel right, and I'm very glad Cruise was insistant that Zimmer do this one, as Horner would've done too much with it. The score may not work all that well on cd, but in the movie, it's a really fine score.

Are there any more Last Samurai takers around here? Is it safe...to rent? Something tells me I better be cautious about this one.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Same with me, but I don't go through a whole process before I rent, I rent, worse comes to worse, it wasa waste of 2 hours.

You're right, but 'is it safe' seemed a bit...I dunno, too much.

I thought I was amongst film freaks. Never seen Marathon Man?

---------------

Alex Cremers

Of course I have, but the quote doesn't really work with unless you use the whole thing- 'Is it secret? Is it safe?'.

I want to see The Last Samurai mainly to see Ken Watanabe's performance, since he will star in the next Batman movie.

That was a LoTR joke. Never mind.

I know it was. :thumbup:

I just watched Bad Boys again. Will Smith and Martin Lawrence scream and shout a lot at each other in this film, but it's just close enough within limits to still be funny. I consider this one to be Michael Bay's best (closely followed by The Rock). This one's just fun.

- Marc

I saw a beautiful looking 35mm print of Disney's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea Saturday night. This is a great film, and I'm sort of dissapointed in myself for having it on video for a long time and only watching it once. Seeing this on the big screen was a real treat.

Neil

I saw that once, like 10 years ago, and I remember being really impressed with the giant squid sequence. All I hear is that this film's a classic. I need to see it again if I get the chance.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off. A classic. A great movie. So much nostalgia, I haven't seen it in a long time. One of the wisest movies ever made.