What is the last film you watched?

MrScratch

In the theater or at home...? I just watched Roman Polanski's "Death and the Maiden" last night. I thought it was a pretty good film and definitely one of his better films, at least of the ones I've seen.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers is now playing in the background on my pc. The last movie I saw whole is Toy Story, which was two days ago. The last movie I saw in the theatre was Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, but I think I'll go see Pirates of the Carribean: The Curse of the Black Pearl this weekend.

:music:

- Marc, who's looking forward to watching Six Feet Under again this evening.

To Kill a Mockingbird and Les Miserables: 10th Year Anniversary Concert a week ago. I saw some bits of Disney's Newsies too. I'm way too busy lately to sit and watch movies.

Oh, last movie I saw in a theater was Bowling for Columbine, in an open-air cinema re-release.

Death and the Maiden is an excellent film.

Me, I just had some friends over to watch The Two Towers. On a 2m wide screen, it's really great. :)

Marian - who also watched the first two episodes of 24 yesterday and wants to see more.

:mrgreen: Jesus Christ Superstar (Andrew Lloyd Webber)

Ok, make that 28 Days Later. Zombies are everywhere! Who is infected?!

Cool....that was the last movie I saw in the theaters. Very good, very involving film. I'm not much for horror films, but then, this really wasn't a horror film. (That's a huge misrepresentation--they're not really zombies. Which is something I liked, since there wasn't any nonsense about brain-eating or trying to kill them over and over again and they just keep coming.)

As for home entertainment....I dunno. Mrs. Doubtfire, I think. (I'm with you, Ross; no time for that stuff.)

- Uni

Mrs. Doubtfire

That's one of my all time favorites. I can't watch it enough. :mrgreen:

The last film I saw in theatres was Marci X, which was pretty good, but not as funny as I expected. At home I last watched What Lies Beneath. Does anyone else here love that movie as much as me? Michelle Pfeiffer and Harrison Ford are soooo good in it, and it's just an all around great suspense/mystery/thriller.

Ray Barnsbury

I think you'll love the movie! Depp is a hell of an entertainer and the dialogues are fun, too.

The score is a different story, though. It's the "don't" among "do's". It's such a true shame that guys around Zimmer scored it. How many times am I gonna be reminded of Gladiator through movies he's involved in? Whereas I didn't mind that in Black Hole Down and Hannibal, this is a different cherrypie and it detracted me horribly. Ten fingers would be too few if I had decided to count the number of occurrences of Zimmer's Gladiator. I dismiss the score as a pure mumbo jumbo, but the movie is fun! Go see it! And enjoy!

Roman.-)

I saw Buffalo Soldiers at the cinema last night. Tres fantastique! Filmed in 2001, directd by Gregor Jordan (Two Hands, Ned Kelly aka Aussie director), starring Joaquin Phoenix, Ed Harris, Scott Glenn and Anna Paquin, set in West Germany, 1989 on a US military base and detailing the majorly suspect behaviour troops get up to when they've got no one to fight. It took two years to be released internationally because of concerns about certain 'sensitivities' associated with recent developments, but it was well worth the wait. In fact it may even be more potent because of it.

The night before that I watched Big Trouble in Little China on DVD for the first time since I was a kid. What a kick-arse piece of pulp trash! Kurt Russell in a credible and effective role? (apart from Overboard that is, which also contains my fave Goldie Hawn performance too :mrgreen: ) What's with that? Swiftly elevated to the summit of the John Carpenter films I've seen (which doesn't amount to much. Obviously ;)).

CYPHER

PS - Sorry Ray, but I hated What Lies Beneath. Derivative, uninspired, ridiculous etc. Although anything with Michelle Pfeiffer in it has intrinsic appeal. I saw I Am Sam the other day and was reminded how stunningly beautiful she is :) . If they ever made a movie adaptation of the late 1970s Ms Marvel comic she would be perfect to play the titular character and her civilian identity, Carol Danvers. I say again :sigh: .

Marian - who also watched the first two episodes of 24 yesterday and wants to see more.

Were those from the first or the second season? If you've only seen the very first two from day 1 and nothing else, you're in for a treat.

- Marc, who wishes he had 46 new episodes of 24 waiting for him.

"I'm gonna need a hacksaw." lol!

First two hours from the first season. It stopped just when it started to get really interesting. I'll watch episodes #3 and #4 tomorrow, and if it still seams as much of a treat then as I've been expecting all along (after all it's split screen, and I'm a big De Palma fan :mrgreen:), I'll probably stop watching it on TV and get the DVDs instead.

Marian - who watched the STTMP documentaries today.

I just started "24" also, I'm 4 episodes into the first season. I have episodes 5-8 waiting for me at home. Last night I just watched "Bridge On The River Kwai", I had never seen it. What a great film.

24 is my favorite TV-show (and when it comes to critiquing it, I can be a little bit biased :)), and I hope you'll like it too. After the first two eps it seems to take a different turn, though. Nothing shocking, just that it doesn't focus as much on the "conspiracy within CTU" subplot anymore. But you'll see. :mrgreen:

- Marc, 24 fan.

I just watched Edward Scissorhands on TV for the first time. I thought it was one of the dumbest films I've ever seen. The whole story was terribly under developed. For some reason the lady takes this freak home and just addopts him which makes no sense. Then we have the flashback where Edward destroys his hands with his scissors by accident which also makes no sense, why would the inventor put scissors on this guys arms when he was going to replace them with hands? Overall I thought the character was a little too Borg to really feel for. Good make up. Great score, of course. :)

Justin -Who saw no point to Edward Scissorhands. (yuk yuk yuk)

I loved it the first time I saw it. The second time I was less impressed. What can I say, I'm just not a fan of the director. Some movies get better after multiple viewings. This isn't one of them.

Wasn't Edward Scissorhands invented before the Borg??

----------------

Alex Cremers

yes Ray, I love that movie, its not derivative, its quite inventive.

Its a good little ghost story, and Ford proves he is a great actor going against type.

Quiz Show, I saw that at a sneak preview for free. I'll never get those hours back. And my buddy who went with me, still brings it up from time to time as the worst movie he's ever seen.

I did win the soundtrack at the preview, still got it. has the darkest version of Mack the Knife I've ever heard.

next up, the Mothman Prophecies, The Fog, and a few other dvd's I will be getting.

Hey, this thread could go on for ever!

Last night I saw The Ring.(American remake) I have to say that the original (Japanese) one is creepier. And you can buy the original on DVD for almost the same price as if you would rent a DVD.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I've seen both Ring and Ringu and there are things I like about each one. The creepy telepathic kid in the American Ring is totally unnecessary. Creepy telepathic/psychic kids have become a kind of cliche ever since 'Sixth Sense'. I like the American version of the videotape better. The Japanese Ring explains the origin of the tape and the girl better. I like the scene where the horse jumps off the boat in the American version, very disturbing. The score in the Japanese version is better, the strange (to my ears) instrumentation adds to the creep-factor. Both are pretty good movies though.

First two hours from the first season. It stopped just when it started to get really interesting. I'll watch episodes #3 and #4 tomorrow, and if it still seams as much of a treat then as I've been expecting all along (after all it's split screen, and I'm a big De Palma fan ), I'll probably stop watching it on TV and get the DVDs instead.

I'm a big fan of 24 (it's my favorite TV show ever). And it gets better... and better. Enjoy it! (and one advice: avoid any forum of 24, you must be spoiler-free to see this serie full of unexpected twists).

Season 2 starts next week here. And it's said to be even better than the first one. Yay! :)

(and the Season 1 DVD comes out next September 24). Great month for me.

@Justin: shame on you!!!! :wave: As Marian said, it's a fairy tale. And one of the most beautiful stories ever told. An ode to difference.

Wasn't Edward Scissorhands invented before the Borg??

Actually I think the Borg's first appearance was one year earlier. :wave:

I understand it's a fairy tale. I understand it's not supposed to be realistic. I just didn't like it. I felt no real emotion for the characters except disgust. Personally I was rooting that Edward would go insane and start cutting people up by the end. Ode to diffrence, not in basic plot. Guy meets girl, guy falls in love with girl, girl falls in love with guy. Guy and girl can't be together for some reason. In this case it's just a freakishly deformed android Borg in a Klingon uniform. bowdown

Justin -Who also didn't get the fact that the town was made of bright c. :)

Justin -Who also didn't get the fact that the town was made of bright c

I think it was supposed to represent the fairytale American dream. Everything clean,efficient,and symetrical. And the residents have the perfect sunny house with garden and Avon ladies. Supposed to be like the 1960's American Dream (imo).

@Justin: shame on you!!!! :jump: As Marian said, it's a fairy tale. And one of the most beautiful stories ever told. An ode to difference.

Yes, I did say that, but actually I just copied Merkel's triple post (of course, this lame joke is completely destroyed now that two of them have been deleted :)). As I said right after, I've never seen it.

As for the Borg...they kinda were in Dark City, the 98 version. Now I haven't seen any other version of it, but since it seems to be a remake, they might have been in earlier versions as well?

I'm a big fan of 24 (it's my favorite TV show ever). And it gets better... and better. Enjoy it! (and one advice: avoid any forum of 24, you must be spoiler-free to see this serie full of unexpected twists).

I'm afraid I did see a little spoiler when browsing for the DVDs yesterday. Luckily, I immediately stopped reading and now I'm at least not 100% sure that what I think is correct.

Season 2 starts next week here. And it's said to be even better than the first one. Yay! :music:

(and the Season 1 DVD comes out next September 24). Great month for me.

I watched Season 1, 2:00-4:00 yesterday. And now I can't believe I have to wait until Monday for the next part. In fact I find it really difficult to decide whether to order the US DVDs (which seem to be out already?) or wait for the European ones.

Marian - hooked. :jump:

Quiz Show, I saw that at a sneak preview for free.  I'll never get those hours back.  And my buddy who went with me, still brings it up from time to time as the worst movie he's ever seen.

What can I say. I love it. I love its thought-provoking unanswered questions (such as "why would that man want to be on television?"). I love the script. Oh, the acting. The pacing is excellent. It's perfectly edited. I never get bored watching it. I don't mind seeing a two-and-a-half hour movie of mere and pure dialogue, as long as this dialogue is written as carefully as in Paul Attanasio's script.

It's a modern greek tragedy in style and in subject. So obviously people who are not fans of Euripides will not appreciate this.

My only complaints are the mediocre direction and the blah score.

I watched Season 1, 2:00-4:00 yesterday. And now I can't believe I have to wait until Monday for the next part. In fact I find it really difficult to decide whether to order the US DVDs (which seem to be out already?) or wait for the European ones.

Marian - hooked. :jump:

Oh joy. Another 24 fan. Good for you, Marian. You WILL get hooked fast. Day 2 starts here tomorrow, but I've already seen the entire 2nd season on the BBC. I can't wait for the DVD's. But I will wait for the Dutch DVD's (which'll take about 6 months, until after the serie's finished here). I expect they'll be out soon after the finale, just like the first season (about 5 days after).

- Marc, who has seen Day 1 four times and Day 2 two times. :jump:

"I'm gonna need a hacksaw." Classic. :music:

Theater: Freddy Vs. Jason

Home: Evil Dead

Yes..I love horror. MIGHT I add that in my opinion, FVs.J was better than most of the horror movies that have come out since...the 90's! I'm not talking about The 6th Sense scary...I'm talking about slasher movie scary. I was entertained the whole time, and they did a good job of capturing SOME of the spirit of the originals...even though it was a different story than the originals. If you love Friday the 13th and Nightmare...see the movie...but don't take my word for it! (Reading Rainbow song plays)

Evil Dead is my all-time favorite scary movie. It's cheesy...and done for about 10,000 dollars...but it scares the CRAP out of you and disturbs you if you watch it late at night! Then...well...let's say that I like the first better than the 2nd and 3rd (we know that Raimi likes the 3 Stooges...but that doesn't mean that horror fans do too!)

Yesterday it was The Frighteners. Tonight I made a De Palma double feature, first Dressed to Kill and then The Fury. De Palma is so much better still when seen on a big screen.

Marian - who really should get Blow Out soon.

Please don't let your sexlife make you read more into posts than there actually is.

Marian - wondering what Stefan would have said if he'd listed Rosemary's Baby along with Blow Out... :roll:

Saw Insomnia last night. What a film. Superbly made, magnificently written and conceived, top-notch performances. Too cool.

- Uni

Saw a forgotten little gem with Val Kilmer called Top Secret

Funny movie. I like that Jaws homage by..... Maurice Jarre! :sigh:

The last films I saw are Hitchcock's Sabotage and Spellbound (the reason for my Dalí avatar). This last one is undoubtedly a masterpiece, and Rozsa's score is one of the best ever.