Movies in 2004

Mr. Breathmask

Well, the end of the year is drawing close, and now it's almost time to look ahead to 2004. What are the movies YOU are waiting for? Which will you definitely see in theatres, and what are the scores you anticipate most. Here are my movies for 2004:

Peter Pan (maybe; premiers February 19th over here),

Kill Bill Vol. II (because I saw the first one in theatres too),

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban,

M. Night Shyamalan's The Village,

Pixar's The Incredibles

The Terminal (if only just for Williams' score) :P

There's not much more I can come up with now that I'm really anticipating. I might go and see Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World after the holidays, and I'll probably go see The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King a third time. I'll keep my fingers crossed for an unexpected theatrical re-release of the original Star Wars trilogy, but I'm not counting on it. I will of course get the DVD's no matter what in November.

- Marc, expecting a lot of Lucas-bashing next November. ;)

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw a complete list of movie being released next year, and found 48 I wanted to see. It seems like another dud year, like this year, with a bunch of highly entertaining but shallow movies.

Morlock- who hopes that The Incredibles will be more like Finding Nemo and less like the stupid Monsters Inc.

Morlock 2- Who can't wait for Shrek 2, if only for Larry King and Antonio Banderas

Here's some that catch my attention:

Of course:

Terminal

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azcaban

Thunderbirds...there's a movie adaptation coming,right?

The Day after Tomorrow.I found the trailer very surreal,and made me want to see it.

k.m.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban,  

Looks great

M. Night Shyamalan's The Village

Have you seen the trailer for it? It looks awesome, I've also heard of some possible "Twist" endings for the movie

Master & Commander

I love that movie now, go read the books too, they're just as good

The Incredibles  

Michael Giacchino!

Terminal  

I know the story and the actors and apart from a few pictures I generally have no idea how this'll turn out, except for my feeling that it'll be similiar in feel to Catch me if you can

Thunderbirds...there's a movie adaptation coming,right

Yep, the trailer's been out for a while

Yeah I might go see Thunderbirds. I've seen the trailer. I'm a big fan of the original series. I just hope they don't screw this up. I'll also go see Shrek 2.

- Marc

:) John Williams - Main Titles from Home Alone

Well, I hope the Shrek sequel's good. I liked the first one a lot when I first saw it, but it's not one I'd watch over and over again. And yes, I've seen the trailer for The Village.

- Marc, who has that trailer on his harddisk. :)

:) John Williams - Flight To Neverland from Hook

Wait, you just had dinner? It's 1 PM here

well i have Kazaa and i'm looking at downloading a *cough* bootleg *cough* if you're interested i could send it to you whenever i get it

It's 8 PM over here.

I don't have Kazaa, though, but this sounds like a sweat deal. Talk over the details in PM?

- Marc

:) John Williams - The Raiders March from Raiders of the Lost Ark

Harry Potter And the Prisoner Of Azkaban

Terminal

The Village

The Incredible

The Stepford Wives

The Day After Tomorrow

The Polar Express

The Triplets Of Belleville

Well, Garfield will be interesting.

Of course, we've got Sky Captain in a few months, too.

I'm definitely looking forward to Terminal. Tom and Steve do some pretty decent stuff. And except for The Money Pit and Band of Brothers, they usually turn out another Williams score too. I've got to say I'm interested in hearing this one for no other reason than just to hear what the man does next! I'm definitely thinking it will be light, like CMIYC, since it seems to be a romantic comedy. But maybe since Johnny's got the rest of 2004 to score it, he'll go all out and maybe outdo Close Encounters as his favorite? It's gonna be sweet regardless, I think. I don't think he's missed much lately. Especially with Spielberg.

Well the one score I'm looking forward to for 2004 is of course Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. I can't wait what John comes up with for the Dementors and other stuff. I hope it's a lot of dark and moody stuff.

And then in November, there'll be the EE of RotK. I don't know which one I'm anticipating more. This one, or the SW trilogy. Probably this one (there's too much negative vibe around the SW SE's for my taste).

- Marc, who'll get both.

You know I've seen the two Harry Potter movies on Cable and both are very good, but I just cant see myself going to see one of these in a threatre. Too embaressing for a grown man.

This one does look pretty good BTW. They got Emma Thompson and Gary Oldman in it.

Its too bad Richard Harris is gone. :)

I look forward to a new science fiction movie that can follow into the footsteps of 2001, Star Wars, Alien and Blade Runner. It's way overdue.

And please, no more "Mars" themes !

----------------

Alex Cremers

I have High hopes for I, Robot. I loved (director) Alex Proyes' Dark City- and although it's not a classic, it is imo the best genuine sci fi film of the 90's.

I have High hopes for I, Robot. I loved (director) Alex Proyes' Dark City- and although it's not a classic, it is imo the best genuine sci fi film of the 90's.

Well, let's wait and see. My favorite SF of the 90s is Gattaca (1997). Are there any other sci-fi movies heading our way in 2004?

----------------

Alex Cremers

I look forward to a new science fiction movie that can follow into the footsteps of 2001, Star Wars, Alien and Blade Runner. It's way overdue.  

And please, no more "Mars" themes !

----------------

Alex Cremers

THAT IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN SAYING FOR MONTHS NOW!!!!

I am still waiting for a filmaker who can give us the TRUE successor to Star Wars. The Matrix was nice but it was NO Star Wars.

You know I've seen the two Harry Potter movies on Cable and both are very good, but I just cant see myself going to see one of these in a threatre. Too embaressing for a grown man.

Get some kids and use 'm as an excuse 8O

Its too bad Richard Harris is gone. :nono:

I second that...Gambon seems a good actor but I'm sceptical about his performance as Dumbledore.

I am still waiting for a filmaker who can give us the TRUE successor to Star Wars. The Matrix was nice but it was NO Star Wars.

It was made many years ago, a film called The Empire Strikes Back.

HA HA HA very funny wise guy.

OK I meant the true successor to the Star Wars SERIES! :nono:

2) The Day after Tomorrow  

I dont know, I want to like it so bad but I'm worried this'll turn out to be another godzilla

but I did like godzilla

OK I meant the true successor to the Star Wars SERIES!  :(

With the prequels included?

In that case Tomb Raider II is more then a worthy successor.

Stefancos- :sigh:

Yeah thats correct! Inluding the Prequels brings the whole friggin series down.

Then again you know me Stefan! When I say STAR WARS and I mean it I am ONLY reffering to the TRUE Star Wars films. The Classic Trilogy, not the CGI Sesame Street in Space.

When I say STAR WARS and I mean it I am ONLY reffering to the TRUE Star Wars films. The Classic Trilogy, not the CGI Sesame Street in Space.

When I say "Star Wars" I'm referring to a film that came out in 1977.

Neil

When I say STAR WARS and I mean it I am ONLY referring to the TRUE Star Wars films. The Classic Trilogy, not the CGI Sesame Street in Space.

Neil

Didn't "Sesame Street in Space" started with ROTJ? I think there's evidence enough to say that it did.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Let's face it. There'll never be another film like Star Wars.

In 1975, a young filmmaker named George Lucas wanted to go back to the Saturday matinee series of old. He had two ideas. One of them was set in space, the other about an archeologist who hunted treasures. The latter one was put on the shelve, and Lucas developed his Star Wars project. People said it couldn't be done, the studio risked bankruptcy, but he did it anyway. With heart, soul, and a lot of talented people. He set up his own effects house, which has grown out to be one of the leading VFX companies. And he made a film that captivated audiences of all ages all around the world. Why? Because of the heart and passion that was visible in every single frame. And what's more, this was a film like none other. Star Wars revolutionized filmmaking and changed the motion picture industry for ever. Star Wars was, after Jaws only the second major summer blockbuster. It ran theatrically for a whopping 18 months in a row. Jaws had pioneered the phenomenon, but Star Wars was the first REAL summer blockbuster. Back then, something like that was unique. Nowadays, every major studio aims for the summer period with bloated pretentious projects, designed to rake in the cash, while other projects are held back, because they might not appeal to a large enough audience.

The only project that comes close to that feeling of love combined with major commercial and critical succes is Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings trilogy, but there'll never be something with the impact and sheer magic of cinema that Star Wars had. If only I'd been born 20 years earlier...

- Marc

When I say STAR WARS and I mean it I am ONLY referring to the TRUE Star Wars films. The Classic Trilogy, not the CGI Sesame Street in Space.

Neil

Didn't "Sesame Street in Space" started with ROTJ? I think there's evidence enough to say that it did.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Well yeah there was a little bit of that no question, but at least the SW experience was still mostly there.

The PRequels heralded in the FULL TAKEOVER over the muppets.

The list of all lists:

#1 must see movie of the year-Harry Potter 3

Van Helsing-I seriously want to see this movie and pick up Silvestri's next score!

Blade 3-aka Blade Trinity-Blade's bad ass! But dammit Graeme Revell Strikes Back! I hope he does a good job, caue if he does, then I'll have to own my very first GR score.

Terminal-I dont know what this is about, but sounds sci-fi to me. Anyway JW is scoring so i'll watch it regardless.

Spidey 2-I hope I can tolerate this one. I expect a monumental change, or at least a movie that will most likely out do Gigli or Giggly or whatever that movie's called.

Shrek 2- I need a good laugh after all the lackluster movies of 2003.

The Incredibles- Looks like a pretty decent movie. Pixar hasn't let me down yet, but they do provide less than ample scores from there movies. I swear, if Randy Newman sings again....he won't have a friend in me!

Hellboy-Sounds tight, will probably be tight, and I won't have to sit in the theater listening to an over hyped rehashed score- something that wasn't uncommon in a certain major sequel of 2003.

As well as the village, Kill Bill 2 and...well thats all for now.

As part of my job, I'll end up seeing about 90 percent of the movies out there. Some of the things I will skip include movies with teenage gross-out humor and anything resembling "Fast and Furious."

"Terminal" and "Harry Potter" are two that are high on the list.

90 percent? I think that's a high number to reach for. There could be 200-250 major releases (and most of them are crap).

Anyway, all the movies I want to see, with small explanations:

Casa De Los Babys (for John Sayles)

Paycheck (Although I despise John Woo films, the idea from Phillip K. Dick is too much to pass up)

Kill Bil Vol. 2

Motorcycle Diaries (A biopic about Che Guavara)

First Daughter (Just for Michael Keaton as the prsident)

Hidaldo

Jersey Girl (Huge Kevin Smith fan)

The Ladykillers (Huge Coen Bros. fan)

King Arthur (I don't like Bruckheimer, but it has a good cast, intelligent director and I like Zimmer)

The Whole Ten Yards (I lovved the first film)

The Alamo (Huge Billy-Bob fan, and I can't wait for Burwell's score)

Troy (Peterson is a good director, he has a good story, good cast and some fantastic visuals)

Van Helsing (Can't wait for Silvestri's score)

The Day After Tomorrow (Not an Emmerich fan, but looks like it has great visuals)

HP3 (Better story, better director, better cast and same composer- what's not to like?)

Spiderman 2 (The first was better than it could've been, and I love Raimi)

Shrek 2 (The first was the best CGI movie ever and one of the funniest movies of recent years. I can't wait for Banderas as the Pus De-Boots and Larry King as the Ugly Stepsister)

Envy (Big Levenson and Jack Black fan)

I, Robot (see several posts up)

The Terminal (No explanation nessecary)

Shark Tale (Great story, great voices. Can't wait for Scorsese, DeNiro and Gandolfini as the mobsters. Best casting I've ever seen)

The Stepford Wives (I like Frank Oz, it has a great cast, fun story, great script and a David Arnold score)

Collateral (Big Michael Mann fan ever since Heat and an interesting turn for Cruise)

The Polar Express (I love Zemeckis, Hanks and Silvestri, and the whole idea seems very intriguing)

The Incredibles (From the Pixar and Brad Bird, of Iron Giant and, more importantly, Simpsons fame)

The Manchurian Candidate (Big Demme fan, great story. Probably a lackluster remake, but worth a shot)

Alexander (Big story, big cast, and Stone does occaisionally make a non pretensious and good film)

Ocean's 12 (A good romp with the same cast and director)

The Aviator (Martin Scorsese, Howard Shore, Howard Hughes biopic. What else needs to be said?)

The Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind (Charlie Kaufman is a genious, and he has Jim Carrey and Tom Wilkinson to play with.)

The Passion of Christ

The Village (I like Shyamalan, I love cinemtogrpher Deakins, and it should have a great score. Good trailer too)

The Brothers Grimm (I love Gilliam, and he has a great quircky story to play with. Now he has to get on with Good Omens!)

90 percent? I think that's a high number to reach for. There could be 200-250 major releases (and most of them are crap).

Well, as a part-time film critic (working his way up to full time) it's part of the job, seeing the films that we look forward to and the things we don't.

But I love movies, so part of the enjoyment is watching a film rise to greatness or sink to pond scum.

Jeff -- going to see "Cold Mountain" in two hours