Potterdom Film/Score Series Thread

JoeinAR

I agree (or should I say "Amen! Brother HPFAN2!"  ;) ), I had no problem with the length or flow of OotP. It didn't feel like overload to me, just yet more detail and depth. Really well done. I can't think of any major sequence that happens in the book that needs cutting, it all has a purpose in one way or another.

John- who really enjoyed the DA in OotP and hopes it will be back, with Dumbledore's backing.

It may have been long but at least it wasn't an ordeal to read like "Bored of the Rings".

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is one thing about the series that annoys me, but that's because this device is only used for the children. When Rowling mentions an event that happened in one of the earlier books, she'll stop the current story dead to write a brief summary of the previous reference. I know this helps people who didn't read the other books, and started with OotP, but it is slightly annoying to see the word Quidditch and have Rowling feel the need to take a couple of sentences to explain it for the umpteenth time.

Tim

There is one thing about the series that annoys me, but that's because this device is only used for the children. When Rowling mentions an event that happened in one of the earlier books, she'll stop the current story dead to write a brief summary of the previous reference. I know this helps people who didn't read the other books, and started with OotP, but it is slightly annoying to see the word Quidditch and have Rowling feel the need to take a couple of sentences to explain it for the umpteenth time.

I think OotP was the first book where she didn't bother doing the usual exposition at the beginning. She probably did explain smaller events that came up later in the book, though.

I agree (or should I say "Amen! Brother HPFAN2!"  ;) ), I had no problem with the length or flow of OotP. It didn't feel like overload to me, just yet more detail and depth. Really well done. I can't think of any major sequence that happens in the book that needs cutting, it all has a purpose in one way or another.

John- who really enjoyed the DA in OotP and hopes it will be back, with Dumbledore's backing.

It may have been long but at least it wasn't an ordeal to read like "Bored of the Rings".

AMEN! Brother Drax!

I'm surprised we haven't got new GoF scoring news.We stil don't know if Williams themes are in.

K.M.Waking his cat for no good reason

probably KM because he wont start recording the music until September.

Lord of the Rings is a challenge, and a joy. Not an ordeal.

The Lord of The Rings is a classic of literature. Just because you lack the concentration to see your way through it does not proove that it is anything but a masterpiece.

Justin

The Lord of The Rings is a classic of literature. Just because you lack the concentration to see your way through it does not proove that it is anything but a masterpiece.

Justin

No, it proves that it's hard to read and I could be doing better things other than reading about short people and big men with beards walking, talking, eating, singing, sleeping, walking some more, talking some more, eating some more, singing some more, and sleeping some more.

When I decided that I couldn't get interested in LOTR at all I read Shatner's then 6 Star Trek books. True story!

Neil

I think they are an historic icon in literature, but I don't think Tolkien was a brilliant author. He had the tendency to waffle on an awful lot, and then have the characters spontaneously start singing. When there is something happening, however, it's very good.

I own the Hobbit, Fellowship of the Rings, The Two Towers, and Return of the King. I have the boxed set of the 4. I've never opened the box.

btw, wouldn't it have been fun to have been among those in Chicago this past weekend who got to see the rough cut of Goblet of Fire?

Yeah, that would be awsome! There are some reviews at Mugglenet of the film in its rough cut form. Mostly positive. Some of the changes sound good, others sound bad. Should be an interesting film.

~Sturgis

No Winky, no Dobby. The plot's really been cut down to the bare bones. One person said the First Task was too long, another too short. Sounds like the graveyard scene at the end is awfully short. I like the increased roles for the twins and Neville. Fred and George have had nothing the first three movies, except giving Harry the map in PoA. I'm still half surprised they weren't cut out of that. And Neville giving Harry the gillyweed is a good substitute to Dobby, considering Neville's skill in Herbology, and he had the book that Moody gave him too. I'm cautiosly optimistic here, but there's still a while to go. As long as there are no massive cuts like the Marauders' history in PoA the book purist in me should be satisfied.

Man, I wish Willams was scoring this.

The reviews are pretty interesting to read. And it's fine with me that Dobby and Winky have been cut. I never really enjoyed reading through Dobby's simpering, and Winky's continuous hysterics in GoF were extremely irritating.

Ray Barnsbury

I think they are an historic icon in literature, but I don't think Tolkien was a brilliant author. He had the tendency to waffle on an awful lot, and then have the characters spontaneously start singing. When there is something happening, however, it's very good.

Tolkien was a brilliant author, justy not a very professional one.

Most authors would cut down the book by 300 - 400 pages, make it less episodic and would probably remove the Minas Tirith section because it's pretty much identical to the Rohan story line.

I love LOTR, and I love the fact that it reads like the best first draft in history.

In the midst of Book 6 mania, the movie site that everyone dislikes but reads anyway has put up a summary of a new GoF trailer that was shown at Comic-Con. It's supposed exclusive to that convention and never be shown anywhere else, but we've heard that one before.

That sounds incredibly fake. Why would they bother showing Sirius in his only scene in the film? Why would they treat us with the schools' entrances when 1) It's one of the bigger visual-feasts in the film, why show us now? and 2) Why would they bother showing the schools enter twice? Once when they arrive at the school and then when they have their little "presentations" to the school?

I don't trust that site as far as I can throw it (and as that's impossible, you can guess what I think)

• 2 weeks later...

Am i the only one who wishes Williams would expand Ron's theme/motif (whatever you wanna call it)?

I wasn't even aware then Ron had a theme. I know that there was a friendship/reminicing theme that I loved and that Williams' ditched in PoA. Window to the Past kinda replaced it.

I like the Dobby character a lot, and I like Winky, and yet I don't care one bit that they're not in the movie. Liking a character and seriously believing they further the plot are two different things. Besides, since the whole S.P.E.W. subplot was dumped, what's the point in having the elves in the forefront?

I find it odd that the report says that the First task takes the longest in the film. Odd because it is the shortest task. The second being the longest, and the third being moderate in length (if you don't count the graveyard part once they grab the portkey). The end should be longer, there's a lot of story going on.

Does anyone know if it's been said that they explain the Marauder's Map in the movie? I, of course, know what it means, but they cut that out of PoA, and think it's important if they're going to explain Harry's patronus...

Tim

It's a short, upbeat piece heard when Ron puts in the Sorting Hat in PS, and in CoS when he turns up in the flying car to rescue Harry. It's on the first track of the CD for CoS.

I don't really think he needs to develop themes for Ron and Hermione. I don't know how to explain it, but I just don't think anything could fit the characters. They're much too complex.

Sadly Snape's theme was never developed either

Amen to that.

No, it proves that it's hard to read and I could be doing better things other than reading about short people and big men with beards walking, talking, eating, singing, sleeping, walking some more, talking some more, eating some more, singing some more, and sleeping some more.

Indeed. You could try to look past the walking, eating, singing, sleeping and walking, and realise the enormous depth (language- wise, history- wise and mythology- wise). And if you have time left, try to realise how influential the books were. *cough* ... George Lucas ... *cough* Potter ...

I recommend Tolkien's World by David Day and Letters from Tolkien. I don't want to sound demeaning, I really recommend those to the people who want to give Tolkien a second chance. The story isn't everyone's cup of tea, sure, but the background is simply astounding.

I have nothing against the LotR books, I know they're classics, they're just not my cuppa tea

Amen to that, too.

And by the way, can't wait for Goblet of Fire :)

I sincerely hope that we'll hear at least a few statements of old material. I'd be very dissapointed if I saw the titles without Hedwig's theme.

I don't know, will there be a movie for every book? I think I've heard somewhere there'll be only 5 movies, is that true?

Am i the only one who wishes Williams would expand Ron's theme/motif (whatever you wanna call it)?

He has a theme/motif (whatever you wanna call it)?

I'm sure the Goblet of Fire movie will be better than that literary piece of trash Half-Blood Prince.

You are a fool.

I'm sure the Goblet of Fire movie will be better than that literary piece of trash Half-Blood Prince.

You are a fool.

A fool with a nice avatar. :)

Justin

you are in a small minority in your feelings about HBP, as its almost universally praised.

you are in a small minority in your feelings about HBP, as its almost universally praised.

I think that might be because it has "Harry Potter" written on it, fans will swallow anything Rowling shoves out. My love for the first five novels will always remain, but the sixth is the bomb of the series. All the UK version has going for it is it has the best cover.

When did this suddenly become the Film/Score/Book thread?

Also, it doesn't matter if Drax is in the minority, he's still entitled to his opinion. That doesn't make him a fool either...

Tim, who is astonished at the ignorance.

There's a new photo from GOF featuring the Weasley's tent. It seems a bit extravagant for just an appearance, which makes me wonder about the script. Will they be spending more time in the tent? If so why?

http://www.potterprophet.com/news/uploads/page1.jpg

Oh. Pretty cool! That must explain the dreary outside of all the tents. As if to not attract too much attention. Idk.