Knights of the Old Republic

I got this game for Christmas and just got around to playing it this week. I can definitely see how this got Game of the Year from Gamespy. It's not only a great game, but it's great Star Wars, too. The dialogue/script/acting isn't cheesy, contrived, or unbelievable. The gameplay's interesting. The art design of the levels is better than the prequels (even though it doesn't really look like the OT) But I've gotta say...when I'm playing with the bald guy and I see those Sith troopers with the chrome faceplate...I'm in Lucasland. Which reminds me...I haven't watched the VHS copy of THX 1138 I got for Christmas yet...

Dan--who's either gonna watch THX now, play KOTOR now, or do both right now...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate how the cutscenes sound like they've got a small studio orchestra, but then for the in-game stuff, it's a bunch of synth crap. A lot of games have been like that lately, I've noticed.

I really like all the original music in the game, it fits JW's style very well and I don't really see a problem with it, there was a soundtrack out for the game but is there any way to get it?

KOTOR: One of the best games ever :devil:

All the music from the game is synth, except the main titles... good synth but not enough...

Giachinno woul have been awesome.

Anyway do you know how to open those music files?

It may be my next game,when I finish Neverwinter Nights,that's why I haven't been posting much,i have been advancing my quest.

K.M.Now a Level 6 Wizard

Luke I am not certain. I'll try asking this on some of the RPG boards. Try doing the same.

Which version of KOTOR do youy have? The PC version?

You know one gaming mag PERFECTLY summed up my feelings of KOTOR in a review for it when they put up the heading for their review .....

THE STAR WARS PREQUEL GEORGE LUCAS SHOULD HAVE MADE! :)

I love KotOR :) Played it through twice, tried to beat my first record time of 30h+ something. Got it down to just above 18h 8O I did as many missions as I could remember from the first round but I surely missed a lot of them. I'll probably try a round as evil ;)

As for the music, I think Soule did a good job. It's not really Star Wars, but pretty much his own touch on it and in a sense I think that was good. The Sith vs. Republic wars are too far from the Imperial era and I don't really see the Williams music (even though they're probably the best written scores ever) written for that era fit in to KotOR. That's my 2 cents...

By the way, I have the Soundtrack on the harddrive if anyone wants to d-load, give me a buzz on MSN or via E-mail, and I'll help you out :)

Luke, wizard level 10, druid level 5, harper level 5

Scout level 8, Jedi consular level 3

And Geekmaster Level 100

Something you'll never be, regardless how much you try it, apprentice :)

Ah, and definately the prequels should not have been made that much appart form the original trilogy. What would be the deal? Even you will complain about the uselessness of it, as you do now.

And Geekmaster Level 100

Look who's talking, Darth. :)

Justin -Who's going to go admire is communicator badge some more now...

That's been announced for a while now, they'll probably have it out after their next game which is set in old times feudal Japan

That's been announced for a while now, they'll probably have it out after their next game which is set in old times feudal Japan

Yeah thats called Jade Empire but its NOT being set in Fuedal Japan its set in a fantasy world that is inspired by various Asian lands such as Japan, China, etc..

And Geekmaster Level 100

Look who's talking, Darth. ;)

Justin -Who's going to go admire is communicator badge some more now...

Yeah, i sad he was an apprentice, but thinking it out.. well i do not have more than 5 SW action figures for example :D and yes he started it out :D

My friend beat the game as a Sith Lord. He says that I need to get the game, but my new PC doesn't have a good game card and I don't have an Xbox. I do want to play it though. I have heard NOTHING but rave reviews about it, including things like, "This is what the Prequels should have been!"

Recently I've only played Zelda: Wind Waker and NASCAR: Dirt To Daytona (For the Featherlight Modifieds, that come to race at my city- albeit not in the game itself- so I LOVE that!). I usually play NBA Live and Madden NFL every year, but this year I haven't had the time. Too much work and all.

-Chris, Who has oddly been on a Batman and Batman Returns listening binge for about a week and a half! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I just beat the game, and it has an amazing story. But regardless what people say, it wouldn't fit as the prequels. It even has a recessive gene explanation for the Force sensitives. Any different from Midichlorians?

About the PC... I played it in a 533, with 256 MB or ram and GeForce 4600. It can be a little slow on some places, but it mostly depends on the angle you are facing to. of course there are also places when it goes fine. Since the first part is a coruscant like city, in the upper levels are one of the slower parts of the game. Maybe you should try hiring it, and if you can beat that part, then you would not have problems for the rest of the game.

But regardless what people say, it wouldn't fit as the prequels.

Why not? PLEASE EXPLAIN!

It even has a recessive gene explanation for the Force sensitives. Any different from Midichlorians?

What do you mean by this? I never caught this.

I played it in a 533, with 256 MB or ram and GeForce 4600.

:) 533mhz? With a fine graphics card? That's like driving a train with a car engine. You could have it running more smoothly at higher resolution with a better CPU. ;)

I played it in a 533, with 256 MB or ram and GeForce 4600.

:| 533mhz? With a fine graphics card? That's like driving a train with a car engine. You could have it running more smoothly at higher resolution with a better CPU. :)

Thats what I was gonna say!

In fan its more like driving a train with a moped motor!

Seriously! 533 Mhz? That low speed processor is creating a massive bottleneck that prevents that graphics card from working efficiently.

Really? I never mind since my cousin sold it to me at a very good price. Plus i couldnt buy a new computer....

And i think that my graphics card works fine. It allows me to play games that need almost twice the speed i got.

Luke who cannot see the difference while playing Indy and the Emperor's Tomb in 800x600 or higher resolutions (they all go fine). I can also play ROTK at high resolution without problems. What i fing curious is that in those games, the cutscenes go slow, but in KOTOR thay go fine!

SPOILERS AHEAD

Rogue leader, for the recessive gene thingy, ask one of the Elder Rakatan ( a scientist ) about the rakata, plus the computer in the temple gives you DNA samples for him.

KOTOR no fitting the prequels... well, how do it start it?

Totally unfamiliar characters. A whole new story. I mean the game ends with the sith lords dead. But there are still many dark jedi who will eventually get the title. so the battle is not complete. It is somewhat like ANH (SW) or ROJ. but you cannot make a trilogy with that story.

What will be the point of the movie? is it show anything about Darth Vader or Luke and Leia? What about the rise of the Empire? Anyways isnt it the rise of the Sith empire too cheap? I mean people would moan at the impossible Star Forge. There is too much background stroy that could not be explained (Mandalorian Wars ie). Plus it would need flashbacks, that till now it has not used in SW.

Do you buy the destruction of taris by a single ship? Why was the Death Star Created? A Super star Destroyer could have blown the planet for it size...

And please dont say to me that you wouldnt have bashed a movie set 4000 years before the Battle of Yavin. Needles to say the critics it will get for the unthinkable for us, to have been developed fairly little in 4000 years. I think that would have been the main theme of Prequel bashing. I mean it is possible that it happens in a very developed civilisation, but mainstream people would not get it. What about using swords?, all of them should be at least vibroblades.

If you meant that it should be the story of anakin, set 20 years before Yavin, them it could have been. But many things still should be changed.

And there are many other things and even errors, like the H pattern in the floor tile in the temple. They do speak basic but they do not use the alphabet.

I like the game alot, but IMO they are not the prequels that should have been.

800x600 looks like crap, too pixelated. It's fine if you don't mind your games looking like crappy xbox graphics. :?

Morn, Luke is perfectly happy with his computer set-up. If he is satisfied with it, who are you to belittle it? This was one of the first things I ever learned in retail sales: never put down someones possesions.

It would be another thing if Luke was complaining about his equipment and asking for advice, but he's not, so leave it alone, would you? It's called having manners.

Neil

never put down someones possesions.

You put down my music collection all the time. :mrgreen: I'm just telling him, he could have a much better experience with a proper system.

never put down someones possesions.

You put down my music collection all the time. :mrgreen:

No, I put down how you acquired it. I've never said anything about the actual content.

I'm just telling him, he could have a much better experience with a proper system.

And who are you to decide what a "proper system" is. I'm sure you and I and just about everyone else here have vastly different opinions on just what "proper" is.

Neil

No, I put down how you acquired it. I've never said anything about the actual content.

Ohh big distinction. :roll:

And who are you to decide what a "proper system" is. I'm sure you and I and just about everyone else here have vastly different opinions on just what "proper" is.

Yes of course I have an opinion on what I think is a proper system Neil. :? What's wrong with telling him, I think if you had what I think is a proper system it would be better for you.

Ohh big distinction. :roll:

Okay, here I'll make it really easy for you to understand.

"Wow Nicholas, you have the score to Superman - The Movie! That's a great score! How much did you pay for it?"

Yes of course I have an opinion on what I think is a proper system Neil. :? What's wrong with telling him, I think if you had what I think is a proper system it would be better for you.

You can't help but have this attitude, can you?

Niel

"Wow Nicholas, you have the score to Superman - The Movie! That's a great score! How much did you pay for it?"

$30. Who are you to decide what people should pay for things though. ;)

You can't help but have this attitude, can you?

At least I'm not trying to sell something.

Hmmmmm let me break down Luke's post .....

Totally unfamiliar characters. A whole new story. I mean the game ends with the sith lords dead. But there are still many dark jedi who will eventually get the title. so the battle is not complete. It is somewhat like ANH (SW) or ROJ. but you cannot make a trilogy with that story.

So its a totally different story? So what?

Who says the films have to be related to the originals?

This Prequel is EXACTLY what I wanted to see. An ORIGINAL storyline that is SET in the same universe.

What will be the point of the movie? is it show anything about Darth Vader or Luke and Leia? What about the rise of the Empire?

The point of the movie would be to tell a good storyline. It doesn;t have to relate back to the originals.

Anyways isnt it the rise of the Sith empire too cheap? I mean people would moan at the impossible Star Forge.

Impossible? How is it impossible? Its a piece of advanced alien technology. The Death Star is more impossible.

There is too much background stroy that could not be explained (Mandalorian Wars ie). Plus it would need flashbacks, that till now it has not used in SW.

You could very easily explain what the Mandalorian Wars with a brief bit of dialogie. I mean really all it was was a war between the Jedi and the Mandalorian people. SIMPLE! Having a Mandlorian character in the storyline with Canderous people would already understand who the Mandalorians were and why the Jedi had to fight them.

As for the flashbacks, so what if the SW series hasn't had them before? The SW series didn;'t have FART and POOP jokes in them before but that didn't stop Lucas from putting that crap in now did it?

Do you buy the destruction of taris by a single ship?

It wasn;t destroyed completely. They just leveled the city that covered the planet. Completely different from the Death Star dude.

Why was the Death Star Created? A Super star Destroyer could have blown the planet for it size...

As I said, if you listened to the dialogue in the game the planet was NOT completely destroyed. They just destroyed the buildings. Thats something entirely different.

And please dont say to me that you wouldnt have bashed a movie set 4000 years before the Battle of Yavin. Needles to say the critics it will get for the unthinkable for us, to have been developed fairly little in 4000 years. I think that would have been the main theme of Prequel bashing. I mean it is possible that it happens in a very developed civilisation,

OK if I had one major complaint with the KOTOR that would be it. The technology was too good for 400 years ago. I mean 4000 years ago humans on this planet were fighting with friggin simple spears. The technology of 4000 years ago in KOTOR was not far behind the tech seen in ANH. However. so what? Tell the same storyline set 300 years before ANH. What difference would it make? You could easily make it 300 years earlier instead of 4000 without it affecting the storyline.

but mainstream people would not get it. What about using swords?, all of them should be at least vibroblades.

The reason they used swords was due to the development of reclector sheild techology.

It could be the storyline of an anonymous Jedi set 300 years before ANH as I said.

And there are many other things and even errors, like the H pattern in the floor tile in the temple. They do speak basic but they do not use the alphabet.

So? They use English on the friggin Death Star when Ben shuts down that Tractor Beam. Its called a screw up.

I like the game alot, but IMO they are not the prequels that should have been.

IMO neither are those lame SW films released in theatres over the last hanful of years.

Look rogue, I dont buy it. You would be the first to argue if the prequels were set 4000 years before Star Wars. Dont bother to reply for that, i already know your 'answer'. By the way you must be the only living being that wanted the prequels like that. Anyway, that is the point with no relation with the originals less than the opening crawls (some claim that does not make a SW movie...) they wouldnt be prequels right? Do you know a series or a book that jumps 4000 years between episodes. I can think only of the Simarillion and other ENCICLOPEDIC-LIKE things, which are not very well for personal stories as KOTOR has.

What you want sounds like Expanded universe made movie.

Still what will be the point in the movie? We see the redeption of a sith lord. And what? We already saw that. Dont you complain about ROJ having another Death Star? And at least Darth Vader was the last sith to live and with that the Sith order DIED. The Sith Empire, as i said Is very Far from dying (specially with all those Dark Jedi in the academy) The only working storyline could be this one, set 1000 years before the Phantom menace, and we see the supposedly extinction of the sith, and we should see the Sith empire blown to bits.

Didnt you get my point with the death star?

If a single ship could destroy the surface of the planet (i already knew it, im not that stupid), a super star destroter (that has to be about +10 times the leviathan) could have really blown the planet (maybe not in little bits but cripple it) if not, the whole Imperial Fleet would, and han solo said they couldn't. No need to create a death star.

And sorry i prefer believeing in a great space station that shoots a giant laser that a station that clones mechanical things. They should have made it and orgainc station that creates organic ships and fighters at least...

I dont get you point about Swords. They have deflector shields both in KOTOR as in true Star wars. Plus how is that they are not sliced by Lightsabers? Why not, anyway, train Soldiers in the use of lightsabers, that are more useful (break though places, light...)?

Morn: I already know my computer could be better, but as i said, i cannot afford it. And anyway, the main differences are between 320x240, 640x480 and 800x600. Anything higher does not have the same level of 'change', IMO.

I'm happy with KOTOR, since it's so far back it's got the great oppurunity to establish great new characters and put in a lot of new info that we've been waiting for.

I found my Indy IV score. Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb. Great stuff!!  

Justin

They just updated the Emperor's Tomb, Yes it is Great Stuff

By the way you must be the only living being that wanted the prequels like that.

I wouldn't have minded I just wanted good movies. ;)

Justin -Who likes the Anakin tie in though.