Who thinks Indy IV AND Ep III will suck?

Will they both suck?  

21 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • Just III, not IV.
    • Just IV, not III.
    • Nope. I know nothing about good movies and they'll both rock.

Temple of Doom is a digital recording.  Look at the top of the album.

indy2.jpg

If the digital recording is on tape than it's vulnerable to deterioration, some say even more so. The only safe carrier is a CD or DVD. ;)

----------------

Alex Cremers

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who cares,all I want are 2 new John Williams c.d.'s in my posession.

K.M.

No arguments here! At the very least we will get two more good scores from the Maestro out of these. ;)

New characters, new action scenes, new themes. Just the thought of all of these tracks gets me all excited.

HPFAN_2-Hoping that didn't sound weirder than intended.

If the digital recording is on tape than it's vulnerable to deterioration, some say even more so. The only safe carrier is a CD or DVD.  8O

Perhaps, but you said it was an analog recording. It's not. And we still don't know the life span of a CD or DVD.

Neil

If the digital recording is on tape than it's vulnerable to deterioration, some say even more so. The only safe carrier is a CD or DVD

I assume they have some sort of CRC error test. Still.. they ought to keep it on some optical technology or hard drives.

Speaking of digital recordings, what's the story with E.T.? Digital or analogue? The LP clearly states digital but the regular CD says it's AAD. I think the LP is right. Is this a major typo on the CD?

----------------

Alex Cremers

Does nobody care anymore?

Speaking of digital recordings, what's the story with E.T.? Digital or analogue? The LP clearly states digital but the regular CD says it's AAD. I think the LP is right. Is this a major typo on the CD?

----------------

Alex Cremers

Does nobody care anymore?

I haven't gone home to check yet. Relax.

Neil

If the digital recording is on tape than it's vulnerable to deterioration, some say even more so. The only safe carrier is a CD or DVD.  8O

Perhaps, but you said it was an analog recording. It's not. And we still don't know the life span of a CD or DVD.

Neil

Well, experts think it lasts longer than a lifetime, is it not? And it's already doing fine for more than 20 years now. The only way to be really safe is to keep on making digital copies every so years.

Harddisks are not safe at all.

----------------

Alex Cremers

None of my three E.T. CD's has a "SPARS" code on it. The original album says "Digitally recorded, mixed and mastered". I think that's the answer to your question.

Neil

I'l never be optimistic with Star Wars in any other way than scorewise. Lucas can't direct good movies as everything he touches comes out like cartoonish special effects laden monstrosity without soul and artistic merit (excluding once again the score which he tries to sabotace anyway :) )

Indiana Jones 4 could come out good since there is Spielberg behind the camera though Harrison Ford is getting a bit old. Script should not be too sappy but in the fashion of the old Indy movies there should be at the same time adventurous and contain some legendary/mystical element not forgetting the humor. I have a strong belief it's going to be good.

By the way it would have been great if the Atlantis idea of the Lucas Arts' first Indy game would have been used as a base for a script. There was an adventure in the old Indy fashion!!!

I hope the news in Variety was a mistake. I still want Indy 4 in 2005.

Variety doesn't make mistakes.

;)

Neil

It would seem that logic is correct for this matter. :)

Apparently the studio producing this thing (I believe it is Paramount announced the script needed "retouching" whatever the hell that means! ;)

I couldn't vote because my choice is:

SW3 has about a 50/50 chance of sucking or being the Prequel that we've all been waiting for.

Indy4 probably will be good. I give it 60/40.

We should take Vegas-style bets. Then again, it's based on opinion anyways, so it could get messy... nevermind, LOL!

Lucas can't direct good movies as everything he touches comes out like cartoonish special effects laden monstrosity without soul and artistic merit

What kind of cartoonish special effects are in American Graffiti? How did THX-1138 not have artistic merit?

Star Wars has a soul. TESB has a soul although George did not direct it. Even a puppet like Yoda had a soul, something that has been taken away in AOTC. I wonder if he and Irving Kershner did get along. Today one would expect the contrary.

----------------

Alex Cremers

What kind of cartoonish special effects are in American Graffiti?

The opening shot on the latest release has a CG enhanced sunset, altering the shot.

And keep in mind those movies were made at a very different time, when Lucas didn't have complete control over his movies. Both of them were re-edtied by the studios even before there release.

Neil

About the TOD Score: They doubtlessly have digital masters, but the album master is probably an analog copy FROM the digital. The CD is probably just a digital copy of the analog album master that was created from the digital master recordings. I hope that didn't confuse anybody, LOL!

About the Star Wars & Indy comments: I agree with KM. Even if the movies suck, the scores won't. I'm always MOST excited about that!

well AOTC score sucked worse than the movie, so the scores could be less than John's usual

well AOTC score sucked worse than the movie, so the scores could be less than John's usual

I disagree on both counts. Although AOTC was the weakest Star Wars score to date, it was still very good and I listen to it fairly often. But the AOTC movie (minus the Tusken Camp scenes which were delightful) was a horror to watch.

And the weakest Star Wars movie or score is light years beyond anything Potter.

LOL :mrgreen: LOL :music: LOL :devil:

sorry Chris but AOTC score doesn't approach either HPSS or HPCOS, not even close, and AOTC is not in either film's league.

You really thought it was WORSE than the movie?

I am not a fan of it but even I admit its nowhere NEAR as bad.

You sure you want to stick with that comment Joe? :mrgreen:

About the TOD Score: They doubtlessly have digital masters, but the album master is probably an analog copy FROM the digital. The CD is probably just a digital copy of the analog album master that was created from the digital master recordings. I hope that didn't confuse anybody, LOL!

What makes you say that at all? The album was digitally recorded, edited and mastered.

I disagree. I still find myself listening to this score once and awhile while I never watch the junky movie for which it was written.

Neil

Yeah, John composed a far better score for what AOTC deserved. I can't even watch that film on a TV screen . . . it's fakeness (both visually and emotionally) is somehow ten times more blatant.

Ray Barnsbury

. . . it's fakeness (both visually and emotionally) is somehow ten times more blatant.

Ray Barnsbury

"It's fakeness, both visually and emotionally..." I love how you said that. These few words explain what is wrong with the movie.

----------------

Alex Cremers

You really thought it was WORSE than the movie?  

I am not a fan of it but even I admit its nowhere NEAR as bad.  

You sure you want to stick with that comment Joe?  

remember I was the one who was disappointed the most by the score when it came out, and still am. I like about 5 minutes of the score and that is not a good thing to say about a JW score. Like Neil, I don't watch the movie, but I do have it. I like parts of it too, hate parts of it as well. My initial response to the film was good, but I saw it with a midnight crowd that was roudy, and I fed off of it. After the 2nd viewing, I was brought down to earth. Not a pleasant experience.

:P

TPM better than CoS?

Ranking the four HP/SW Prequel films I would say...

1. HP: Chamber of Secrets

2. SW: Attack of the Clones

3. HP: Sorcerers Stone

4. SW: Phantom Menace

I just don't find any major fault with AotC. In fact, I was watching ANH the other night and really focusing on Mark Hamill in that film. I have to say, if Hamill had been given love scenes in ANH I don't think he would have fared much better than Christensen. As for special effects, they are weak in some shots but still better than most other films out there. In other shots though I think they are quite masterful, there a couple shots in the end battle that have a hand-held feel to them, very cool.

Ranking the four scores I would say:

1. Chamber of Secrets

2. Phantom Menace

3. Sorcerers Stone

4. Attack of the Clones

CoS is my favorite Williams score since Schindlers List.

Nah. I'd say:

1. Philosopher's (Sorcerer's) Stone

2. Phantom Menace

3. Chamber of Secrets

4. Attack of the Clones

There's too much repetition from the first HP movie in CoS for my liking. And while TPM might have a larger variety of themes, there have been few scores like PS/SS that so brilliantly captured the original feel of the source material.

- Marc

I like parts of it too, hate parts of it as well.  My initial response to the film was good, but I saw it with a midnight crowd that was roudy, and I fed off of it.  After the 2nd viewing, I was brought down to earth.  Not a pleasant experience.

That was exactly my experience as well.

AOTC is simply not a film that holds up to a second viewing.

In fact it only barely held up during the first.

That was exactly my experience as well.

AOTC is simply not a film that holds up to a second viewing.

In fact it only barely held up during the first.

;)

I didn't make it through the first viewing.

Neil