New Official Harry Potter Site Online! Plus the new trailer!

TimeLord

You know, that's a nasty plot hole that has been bothering me for a while. I believe Harry has a watch. Or at least someone has, because you need to know what time it is to get to class in time. But does it work? Or do they have a special magic watch with their uniforms? Or is time a magical thing, and are things that show time (watches) not affected by all the other spells? Hmm...

If it is a digital watch then that is true. But maybe he has an old pocket watch. :nono:

Really? Terry Gilliam? Where did you hear this?

Justin

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

diskobolus wrote:

Doesn't mean he's using an overhead projector - clearly he doesn't, because as you well know, electronic devices do not work at Hogwarts.

You know, that's a nasty plot hole that has been bothering me for a while. I believe Harry has a watch. Or at least someone has, because you need to know what time it is to get to class in time. But does it work? Or do they have a special magic watch with their uniforms? Or is time a magical thing, and are things that show time (watches) not affected by all the other spells? Hmm...  

you make the faulty assumption that watches are electronic, watches have been around for centuries and have been mechanical, longer than they have been electronic.

I don't like any watches except my classic, 8 years old Casio. Never changed the battery, still works like a charm (Although I have lost it for extended time periods)

Uh, in any case, digital watches run off batteries . . . I can't remember the last time I plugged mine in.

Ray Barnsbury

I expect by "electronics" Rowling not only means anything with a transistor but any device that relies on electricity for power.

First the dementor looks like black liquid floating in the air.

What should it look like then?

Like a tall cloaked figure.

Second Snape is pulling down a projection screen (I don't think i have to go furhter into that)

And the movie will be "bad" because of this? Please explain how the entire film can be bad from one prop.

Because this shows that some one (Steve Kloves or Cuaron) is taking unessecary liberties

Third. That stupid head is making jokes.

You really hate that head. Was your dog killed by a shrunken head? Again' date=' how is this convincing you that the film will be bad?[/quote']

I don't have a dog. This again shows that some one is taking liberties and is adding things that don't belong.

Fourth there is a huge clock which i can't rememebr in the book

Yes' date=' huge clocks automatically make a movie bad.[/quote']

Again it's liberties that are being abused.

Oh please John Williams' score will be far from lousy.

Hate to pile on but if the factors you mention, HPFAN, can keep you from enjoying what might be an otherwise good movie (and none of us know at this point), I'm glad I'm not you. I haven't read the books but if I had, I hope I would not care that much about those things. My two cents.

- Adam

I haven't read the books but if I had, I hope I would not care that much about those things.

You probably wouldn't. I and many others here have read and love the books, and think the movie looks amazing.

Ray Barnsbury

not too sure about the techno, but hermione kicks butt and expecto patronum. . .whoo hoo!

Yeap.

Not sure I will be able to handle the euphoria of post-finals May-June.

May 18th - official POA score release

May 21st, 22nd - John Williams at Symphony Hall

June 4th - official POA film release

Like a tall cloaked figure.

It is a tall cloaked figure. Besides' date=' that's your interpretation of the Dementors. Even if Rowling gave specific descriptions nobody's images are the same as others.

Second Snape is pulling down a projection screen (I don't think i have to go furhter into that)

And the movie will be "bad" because of this? Please explain how the entire film can be bad from one prop.

Because this shows that some one (Steve Kloves or Cuaron) is taking unessecary liberties

What liberties? Oh! Calamity!! Something is in the movie THAT WASN'T IN THE BOOK!?!?! What about Lucius' wand in a walking stick? That wasn't in the book either. What about Ron's crush on Hermione? That was far from pronounced until the fourth book. Or the fact that Ron was in the forbidden forest in the first film when he wasn't supposed to be? I doubt a bloody screen makes a difference' date=' and what if it was being magically projected onto?

Third. That stupid head is making jokes.

You really hate that head. Was your dog killed by a shrunken head? Again, how is this convincing you that the film will be bad?

I don't have a dog. This again shows that some one is taking liberties and is adding things that don't belong.

It's called fresh' date=' new ideas. It's what makes movies good. If done well, and as I haven't seen the movie I can't pass that judgement.

Fourth there is a huge clock which i can't rememebr in the book

Yes, huge clocks automatically make a movie bad.

Again it's liberties that are being abused.

Okay' date=' now you're clutching it straws. It's a clock. They're not exactly rare. And why does EVERYTHING [i']"have to be in the book?!?! Why are you so upset that there's a new director? You're obviously nitpicking because you can't really find anything wrong with the direciton. Daniel Radcliffe looks like he's acting better than I'd ever seen him! That isn't saying much, but I'm impressed.

Oh please John Williams' score will be far from lousy.

Well, how do you know this movie will be bad? You don't listen to one of William's scores and judge his whole career on just one. Why do this to Cuaron?

And may I remind you, the only change between the last two movies (apart from cast) is a new director. He isn't responsible for everything you hate so much. Like sets, the head etc. You are now just becoming inconsistent. Or just don't like Cuaron...

May 18th - official POA score release  

May 21st, 22nd - John Williams at Symphony Hall  

June 4th - official POA film release

Hell yeah! It's shaping up to be an awesome spring!

Ray Barnsbury

HPFAN, why are you being so difficult? I don't understand. I cannot help but question your taste in directors and movies.

All you do is complain and complain, you always say things which are EXTREMELY poorly backed-up and you are so pesamistic about the film that you don't even give it a chance. Every single peice of footage and every pic that comes out, you just HAVE say nothing but negative things. I'm sick of it to be honest. I find it incredibly annoying.

Here is a quote from HPFAN on another topic:

I can't wait to see your faces when your all dissapointed

GIVE US A BREAK! We want to see this movie, you directly attacked our opinion when you said this! Well, now i'm attacking yours! I think what you have been saying is pointless and pessimistic! Too be honest, i feel so sorry for you, that you can't enjoy the hype with the rest of us. To be frank, if you aren't willing to give the film a chance, You don't deserve to enjoy it.

All i can say is that it sucks to be you, because i can't wait to see what Cauron does with POA and i can't wait till the film is released.

Joel-who (i'm truly sorry) had to get that off his chest

In short, HPFAN_2, people are urging you to keep an open mind and not to get hung up about details that are arguably unessential to the spirit of the story. You should also acknowledge that often the very nature of cinema requires that the adapation not be overly literal. Above all, the filmmakers are striving to, well, make a film, -- not a mere visual/audio transcription of Rowling's text.

I have already said my piece on this. HPFan. You can do what you will and think what you will over this, but keep in mind that people aren't going to completely listen to the things you say unless you can back them up with out emotional opinions.

Doesn't mean he's using an overhead projector - clearly he doesn't, because as you well know, electronic devices do not work at Hogwarts.

Umm... have you never seen a mechanical watch? Those wouldn't be affected by anti-electricity spells I would imagine.

---------

Edit: *note to self* First read _whole_ thread, then post reply :mrgreen:

...and unless you eventually explain to us why "taking liberties" is per s.e. bad. :roll:

I dunno HPFAN I hear Williams is taking some serious liberties with the score.

Justin

:mrgreen:

OK then can you guys give me the reasons why you all think this movie will be brilliant.

[edit: First of all, I expect this movie to be brilliant based on what I've seen in the trailers so far, but of course I don't know yet if it really will be or not... nobody here does - apart from you, obviously :roll:]

Let me think... because so far the effects I've seen look at least as good as those in the other 2 films, if not better? Perhaps because the improvement in several persons' acting hits you right in the face? Perhaps because the overall spirit of the film, as can be judged by the trailers, is very faithful to the book? Perhaps because most of us are open-minded and just curious about how the "unnecessary liberties" ( :roll: ) will play in the context of the whole film? (Shall I go on?)

On a side note, do you think that Rowling would've approved those "unnecessary liberties" if they were against her concepts of the story? So far I have only heard positive (and that's an understatement) comments from her about the movies, by arguing that lots of things are bad because they aren't in the book you imply that you have more knowledge about the whole thing than its author, JKR. :mrgreen:

Chris is right, as I've said before nothing gets by without JKR's approval, she has finale say.

As an example AC wanted to put little people(I don't think dwarfs or midgets, but tiny people) into the movie, and JKR said no.

Alright, alright, so the watch thing depends on a lot of things. But what about playing music? Do they ever listen to music? It's never mentioned. It's probably something trivial and irrelevant so it's left out of sight, but I know that if I couldn't get my daily dose of JW music from summer to Christmas and from Christmas to summer, I'd go nuts. Then again, they probably have magical ways of summoning music or something.

- Marc, being picky. :mrgreen:

Alright, alright, so the watch thing depends on a lot of things. But what about playing music? Do they ever listen to music? It's never mentioned. It's probably something trivial and irrelevant so it's left out of sight, but I know that if I couldn't get my daily dose of JW music from summer to Christmas and from Christmas to summer, I'd go nuts. Then again, they probably have magical ways of summoning music or something.

- Marc, being picky. :mrgreen:

You should go read the books.

OK then can you guys give me the reasons why you all think this movie will be brilliant.

If anyone gives you examples, I'm sure it will not be:

"This movie will be great because:

Hermione is wearing a pink sweatshirt!

The Knight Bus is purple!

The dog with the floating aunt is cute."

Neil - who is just looking forward to this movie and hoping it will at least be good

- Marc, being picky. :)

You should go read the books.

Blah.

I guess I must've forgotten something since I last read the books... for the fifth time. :roll:

- Marc, who just wants the new film. :mrgreen:

The Knight Bus is purple!

Neil - who is just looking forward to this movie and hoping it will at least be good

Well, it's purple in the books.

-Diskobolus, who thinks HPFAN_2 will actually like the movie and will struggle to admit it

They have no reason to think otherwise.

-Ross, who doesn't like the book in the first place so doesn't expect much.

HPFan, is there nothing about the new trailer that you might have liked even a little.

Joe, wondering how any Potter fan couldn't have had chills go down their spine when Harry shouted EXPECTO PATRONUM!!!

Actually, I didn't. I found it rather embarassing. I'm sure when I see the whole scene, with the actual magic coming out of the wand I'll get those shivers. Perhaps I was to busy with my initial shock/pleasure at Hermione's awesomeness.

But of course, in the book she slapped Malfoy. Punching him square in the face is an unnecessary liberty.

It's hard to explain, I don't think it was embarassment rather than I thought it was a bit cheezy. It's like when in a movie somebody does something extremely embarassing and you feel a sense of empathy. It's a bit different here, as I'm sure Harry didn't feel embarassed/cheezy. Urgh, I can't really explain it, other than I will probably like it when I see it properly.

I kinda see where you're coming from magical_me, though I think it's quite powerful. Somehow it makes me respect Radcliffe more, I don't know why. Anyway, I think one of those embarassing moments you were talking about is in CoS when Harry is being swept out of Riddle's diary screaming Hagrid in slo-mo with an uber-dramatic version of the Stone them being played (a version I find rather irritating in the film). That scene either makes me cringe or laugh.

Ray Barnsbury

When I received my mail today, the birthday present from my parents had arrived. It's the PoA poster and let me tell you, the picture on the internet doesn't really do it justice, especially in regard to the Dementors in the background.

These creatures are the things of nightmares. In fact, they somewhat resemble a drawing I remember seeing in book of ghost stories when I was seven years old. That image stuck with me and had me sleeping with my head under the covers for months.

Their "hoods" are actually shrouds that cover their faces entirely. It makes sense in the long run because they have no need of an opening to see, as Dementors have no eyes. The robes seem to be semi-transparent because their rib cages are visible beneath. The bodies are essentially leg-less skeletons covered tightly by rotting skin.

If the goal of the conceptual designers was to create a being more frightening than the Ringwraiths, they've certainly accomplished that particular objective in my opinion.

It's hard to explain, I don't think it was embarassment rather than I thought it was a bit cheezy. It's like when in a movie somebody does something extremely embarassing and you feel a sense of empathy. It's a bit different here, as I'm sure Harry didn't feel embarassed/cheezy. Urgh, I can't really explain it, other than I will probably like it when I see it properly.

I kind of felt the same way about the "That felt good" line. But now I think it's fine. 8O

Justin -Gonna watch the trailer again.

Anyway, I think one of those embarassing moments you were talking about is in CoS when Harry is being swept out of Riddle's diary screaming Hagrid in slo-mo with an uber-dramatic version of the Stone them being played (a version I find rather irritating in the film). That scene either makes me cringe or laugh.

Jeez, why do people pick on that part? I didn't think it was embarrassing or cringe-inducing at all.

By the way, I think these movies, like the books, get better with each progressing installment. PS/SS was good enough that it inspired me to read the books (however, I probably wouldn't have been interested in the films in the first place if John Williams wasn't doing the music - maybe only Jerry Goldsmith or Danny Elfman would have had the same impact on me). CoS was a film that I thought was better than the book, and PoA looks like it's shaping up to be owning the first two films. Hopefully, GoF will continue that trend.

Unless HPFAN 2 has a problem with that?

8O

Yes, Ray, that's exactly what I was talking about! I also cringe/laugh at that part, I find it extremely corny. What with the light coming out from behind him, and his hair fanning out (looks like he's got a mullet)... My friend and I laugh at it every time. One day she (my friend) sent a video to someone overseas and her and in the middle of the video she made a parody of that scene... Hilarious... You had to be there...

Just watched it agian, an I loved it. I must comment on it some more...

I just have to say that I love the Dementors, they really give you the sense of "Beyond the Veil"; a nice reference to that chapter in the fifth book. They are so scary and omnious... Give me shivers!

Gambon gave me shivers when I looked at him and when he said his line... I can say, with all respect for Richard Harris, that Gambon has more accurately portrayed Dumbledore for me.

Prof. Trelawney is absolutely perfect, not how I imagined her but awesome just the same.

And yes, I like the head. It's a nice touch.

It's strange that everyone noticed the projection screen, but missed the projector entirely, myself included. The Leaky Cauldron has posted stills from the trailer and if you'll scroll down to second image, you'll see it in the upper-left corner behind Hermione. It's rather odd in appearance, but definitely a projector.

I know the concern about wizards not using electricity has been raised, but the explanation is in the books. While never going into explicit detail, Rowling leads the reader to believe that electricity is just another muggle substitute for magic. Does anyone recall the magically-powered radio Harry sees sitting by the Weasley's kitchen sink in the third chapter of CoS, The Burrow?

HPFan, is there nothing about the new trailer that you might have liked even a little.

Joe, wondering how any Potter fan couldn't have had chills go down their spine when Harry shouted EXPECTO PATRONUM!!!

Yes there are things i liked.

Alan Rickman was good.

John Williams' dark ominous music gave me chills.

Gary Oldman

David Thewlis as Lupin

Emma Thompson as Trewlany. (sp?)

Monster book of Monsters.

you are a big fan and you can't spell trelawney?

i LOVED the soul sucking whisps between harry and the dementor. . ..

and I didn't mind that hermione punched draco, i didn't like the cheesy "that felt good" line. it was just presented weird. the expecto patronum didn't bother me at all.

The music in the trailer really disappointed me. Of course after "Something Wicked This Way Comes" from the teaser only a cue written especially for this trailer would have sufficed for me.

Lupin looks strange, totally not as I imagined him, though I can live with him. But those stupid glasses of Trewlaney really are ridiculous!!!

But despite all that I did like the trailer and some parts even sent chills down my spine (the 'Expecto Patronum' part was one of those). Cuaron has made something special of this movie and I can't wait to see it. 8O

i didn't like the cheesy "that felt good" line

oh really HPFAN, 8O I think it brilliant, and so realistic too.

Am I the only one on this planet who actually DOES like Reloaded and Revolutions!?!?!?

No, Audax, there is a guy in Tennessee, who like you, fell for all the psuedo mumbo jumbo. He thinks the films are deep. He knows differently know.

It's strange that everyone noticed the projection screen, but missed the projector entirely, myself included. The Leaky Cauldron has posted stills from the trailer and if you'll scroll down to second image, you'll see it in the upper-left corner behind Hermione. It's rather odd in appearance, but definitely a projector.  

Oh christ, that's what that thing is. It didn't look like anything the first time i noticed it, but now that you point it out that's definitely right.

"No, Audax, there is a guy in Tennessee, who like you, fell for all the psuedo mumbo jumbo. He thinks the films are deep. He knows differently know."

Darn! I finally found out there is another person who likes the pseudo mumbo jumbo, turns out he lives on the other side of the world!!! Darn! I mean Tennessee!!! Of all places!!! 8O

I expected them to be more like the Nazgul from LotR, with cloakes and caps.