Who would you want to replace JW on "HP And Goblet Of F

hips

Who would you want to replace JW on "HP and Goblet Of Fire"?  

16 members have voted

1. 1.

• James Horner
    • Eric Serra
    • Danny Elfman
    • Christopher Young
    • Edmund Shermur
    • Mark Mothersbaugh

Morlock, timpani is the resounding percussion instrument often used at the finale of pieces, like ET and Star Wars (bum-bom bum-bom bum-bom rrrrroooooooooollllllllllll release).

Ray Barnsbury

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm...is is really Irish sounding, or do you just think it is Irish sounding.

It's a question of perception here.

I remember Hitch once telling me that he did not think the supposedly Irish flavored pieces from Far & Away sounded very Irish to him, and since he is from Ireland, he should know.

You don't think it's Irish sounding? Every single person I've met off of these boards who's talked about the music (and tons have come to me, as they know I am the local soundtrack guy), save one, who only liked the 'heavy church music' from Khazad Doom has mentioned the Rohan theme, and the fact that it was Irish.

Morlock, timpani is the resounding percussion instrument often used at the finale of pieces, like ET and Star Wars (bum-bom bum-bom bum-bom rrrrroooooooooollllllllllll release).

Ray Barnsbury

Thanx, I keep on getting mixed up.

You don't think it's Irish sounding?

I don't know enough about Irish music to judsge if it's Irish sounding.

Every single person I've met off of these boards who's talked about the music (and tons have come to me, as they know I am the local soundtrack guy), save one, who only liked the 'heavy church music' from Khazad Doom has mentioned the Rohan theme, and the fact that it was Irish.

Were any of these people from Ireland, or have they lived in Ireland for any length of time, os made a study of Irish music?

Like so many places on the net, it's just ignorant people repeating what they have heard from other ignorant people.

Basically any type a folkish fiddle is a solo instument it's called Irish, or Celtic, even when it's really not.

Thanx, I keep on getting mixed up.

That's not the only thing you are mixing up, laddy.

The associations with that sound is Irish. In a film, most people have almost no time to listen to the music, and even less time to think if their instinctive idea of this sound is technicaly correct.

I haven't the slightest. And I and most people don't intend to delve into the LoTR scores, just to listen. The music sounds Irish. I'm sure most people who saw the movie and noticed the music thought it was Irish. And I'm equaly sure that very few people thought it sounded Norwegian. AND I'm pretty sure that most of the people have no idea what Norwegian music sounds like.

You don't think it's Irish sounding? Every single person I've met off of these boards who's talked about the music (and tons have come to me, as they know I am the local soundtrack guy), save one, who only liked the 'heavy church music' from Khazad Doom has mentioned the Rohan theme, and the fact that it was Irish.

I haven't heard "heavy church music" anywhere in the LOTR scores. That's like claiming The Omen is a Carmina Burana ripoff. Perhaps it's people's ears which are inappropriate, and not the orchestrations.

Marian - :?

You don't think it's Irish sounding? And that was one person, and he is a metalhead. So to him, anything choral is church music.

I don't think it's Irish sounding. Like Stefan, I don't know that much Irish music, but what I know sounds different. To me, the TTT theme to me sounds rather Scandinavian (perhaps just because I've read about the Hardanger and stuff), or in fact, Rohirrim (I don't think that's the correct adjective...but I can't remember Tolkien ever writing an adjective for the Rohirrim at all right now...)

Yeah, but I've always envisoned Rohan as rather scadinavian looking. I'm glad the artists on the movies took that path as well.

if Williams was unable to score the film, I would really like to hear what James Newton Howard could do.  I think he'd be perfect for it.  His score for Peter Pan is in a very similar style to the HP scores, and it's fantastic.

Ray Barnsbury

I just listened to JNH's Peter Pan(well i watched the movie).Hmm, this score is certainly refreshing from other stuff I've heard of late,and Howard comes up with a decent and uplifting main theme.That said in many places while watching the movie it kept reminding me of the greatness of Williams Hook score.I mean JNH tried as best he can to imitate Williams style here and a lot of it sounds a lot like Hook,but he still cannot approach our master by a longshot in his thematic developpement.

K.M.Who will listen to his Hook boot now.

I don't think his Peter Pan was as great as it could've been. The theme was good, but the performances should've sounded like a traditional film score. He really limited the scope with the synths and the drum beats (At least in 'Flying' and 'I do believe in Fairies'). This kind of movie is crying out for a traditional film score, preformed traditionaly. Even Zimmer knew to drop the synths for his pirate theme from Muppet Treasure Island. I'm not sure, but I think even the choir might be real in that one!

But the music is overall fantastic, and when the music is performed by a full orchestra, it is really magnificent music.

No Hook, but I don't think anything before or since could possibly beat the magical achievement of Hook.

I don't think anything before or since could possibly beat the magical achievement of Hook.

You should listen to more Korngold.

Neil

I have, and it's many things, but not magical. Also, I've yet to hear a Korngold pirate track. Swashbuckling, sure, as good as they come, but nothing that sounds piratey.

I have, and it's many things, but not magical. Also, I've yet to hear a Korngold pirate track. Swashbuckling, sure, as good as they come, but nothing that sounds piratey.

Then I can't help you.

Neil

You can tell me where to look to try and dispell my notions, I would love to hear a Korngold pirate track. And I'm a huge fan of Robin Hood and The Sea Hawk, but I wouldn't describe either as magical. Fantstic, beautiful, exhilirating, uplifting, but not magical.

But the music is overall fantastic, and when the music is performed by a full orchestra, it is really magnificent music.

Yes,and to me it's the biggest problem with some of today's orchestral composers,Silvestri,James Newton Howard and Howard Shore notably.They seem to have mastered the art of orchestrating massive soundscapes for orchestra complete with choir that sounds grandiose and lush,sometimes creating "bigger" sound than Williams himself...but there is more to it than just "sounding good".That's where the art of creating themes and melodies comes in,and these three just don't have IT in them IMO.They don't measure up to the ankle of Williams,Goldsmith,Barry and even Horner in that respect.That said it's still a step up from Zimmer and Media Ventures,but not quite the fantastic and memorable scores we used to get a lot of in the late 70's and 80's.

K.M.

Silvestri is more then able to come up with good themes or melodies when the need arises.

But for the action adventure genre this seems to be a bit out of style.

These days it's just trying to be audible with all the loud sound effects playing.

I blame directors and producers a lot more then the composers.

I blame directors and producers a lot more then the composers.

Except when it comes to Williams and prequels. :roll:

Justin

I blame Lucas a LOT more for that then i'll even blame Williams.

Williams work on the prequels is overall good, nothing more, nothing less.

My opinion on Lucas's work on the prequels, and his treatment of the music is well documented on this MB.

There's a big difference between TPM & AoTC. TPM had some good stuff in, some real looking places, some good ideas, some convincing effects. TPM had a great score (My opinion on Williams work on episode 1 is well documented on this MB).

AoTC had maybe two small good things about about it, no real looking places, no good ideas, no convincing effects, and a very subpar score.

I don't blame Williams the least bit for it, it's mostly Lucas' fault (with his evil henchman Burtt).

And IMO Howard, Silvestri and Zimmer all have it in them to create good themes and melodies. Shore less so, but he hasn't been pressed to very often. I can't think of any good music from his Kronenberg films. But when he has, he's come up with a great score like Ed Wood, which is very melodic.

King Mark, they lack something worse than few melodies, emotional depth.

Regarding Peter Pan, I agree it's not up to the caliber of Hook. However, it fits the film perfectly, and thus comparisons to Hook really aren't fair. Peter Pan is a much more intimate, emotional, and charming film, which the score reflects. It's much less in-your-face.

Ray Barnsbury

Dunno, The Lord of the Rings certainly evoked MY emotions...

In some parts, yes, Shore is quite good.

Regarding Peter Pan, I agree it's not up to the caliber of Hook.  However, it fits the film perfectly, and thus comparisons to Hook really aren't fair.  Peter Pan is a much more intimate, emotional, and charming film, which the score reflects.  It's much less in-your-face.  

Ray Barnsbury

I love the score, even more than I did when I posted the previous post, but still the electronics get in the way for me.

King Mark, they lack something worse than few melodies, emotional depth.

Absurd. Silvestri, JNH, and yes even Shore are capable of great emotion. The former two are among my favorite composers, and achieve such emotion often in their scores. Still, none are so adept as Williams at writing classic themes (though Silvestri's Feather Theme may be considered so).

Ray Barnsbury

Absurd. Silvestri, JNH, and yes even Shore are capable of great emotion.

Only Shore. But Williams has something extra special, with emotion.

Well most everything I've heard from Silvestri and JNH has been better than Shore's LOTR scores. I actually enjoy his score to Mrs. Doubtfire quite a bit though. In any case, we must agree to disagree.

Ray Barnsbury

Mrs. Doubtfire is nice, very pleasent, but feels like a Randy Newman score, who specializes in pleasant. I've said it many times before and I'll say it again- Ed Wood is a wonderful score, and my favorite Shore right now.

Silvestri and JNH are certainly capable of great emotion. They're no Williams, but no one is. Forrest Gump is as magical as it gets save E.T. And Howard has showed with several scores his great talent, he's one of the best thematic composers currently working. I don't get how out of those 3 you can single out Shore as the best.

You know what,I'd like Williams to do an arrangememt of LotR on his next Cinema Serenade or something and adapt the themes like he did for Color Purple.I bet he could "fix" the Fellowship theme much better than it is now.

K.M.

• 2 weeks later...

I do not think that JNH or Silvestri have ever done anything of great depth, they've done plenty of good stuff....

I don't think there's any doubts about that. Looks like 2005 is gonna be 3 serious Williams score! I'm already excited.

The Spielberg Munich project. I understand it's supposed to be a fall 2005 release.

And BTW- your CDs are on the way. ;)

The Spielberg Munich project. I understand it's supposed to be a fall 2005 release.  

I believe you are wrong Morlock, Spielberg is doing the Rivals next, then War of the Worlds, then the badly concieved Munich project.

Rivals? What is that?

I personally hope Steven drops the Munich thing.

There are alot more projects more deserving of his attention.

Rivals? What is that?  

I disagree i'm realy excited about this Mossad project, sounds like a real thriller.

I think he shoud drop it because there's no need for the controversy. The story's been told, he should move on to new stuff.

Vengence is the Munich thing (though it's not called Vengence anymore), and Geisha starts shooting in September, with Rob 'Chicago' Marshall directing and Spielberg as executive producer.

• 1 month later...