Episode III: The Centrepiece Theme

ABez

Given what we know of the plot for Star Wars: Episode III, my thoughts turn to the score and I wonder what the inspiration for the centrepiece musical theme will be.

For Episode I, we had 'Duel of the Fates' and 'Anakin's Theme'. For Episode II, we got 'Across The Stars'. What concert piece(s) can we expect to see on the Episode III soundtrack and what story point/character will inspire the theme?

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Abez

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Sex Theme for the conception of Luke and Leia.  

Ray Barnsbury

Yeah, I bet it'll go something like this:

Bow-Chicka-Bow-Bowwwwww....

Wow-Chicka-Dow-Dowwwww....

I'm thinking it could be a theme called "Turning to the Dark Side." Sounds kinda like the scene when Anakin talked about killing the Tusken Raiders, though the chorus would do the Imperial March instead.

And that theme develops in the instruments to a full-blown rendition on brass when we first see the helmet.

Jeff -- having fun with the speculation

How about a Rise of Darth Vader theme.

btw I know how the film should end, though it wont.

once the children are safetly secreted away, the film should end at Tatooine, with Obi-Wan walking into the sunset.

An epilogue to the film then begins, out in space, with a single line of words

18 YEARS LATER

the camera pans down to a planet, Tatooine, and suddenly a blockade runner comes into view under attack from a Star Destroyer, and the screen goes black.

the circle is complete

I figure one of the last lines spoken will be something the a lines of "a new hope," thus tying up the six films. One theme I would really like to hear, but is hardly used, is the "B" theme. It was used quite a bit (but dialed out) for the Hoth scenes, and last appeared when we see Wedge lead the attack in ROTJ.

So the twin Tatooine suns are supposed to be symbolic of the twins; I can just picture the twins being held up to the sky at the suns to symbolize this so-called new hope. But that image has been done before. (The mini-series "Roots" come to mind.)

The B theme would be good in conjunction with the Luke and Leia theme for the twins' birth.

I really can't think of any centerpiece theme, though...everything's already in place.

Oh, well, we'll probably get a General Grievous motif, but I doubt that'll be a centerpiece theme.

That would be a great ending.

Or...beginning.

Its neither really. More of a bridge between the end of one trilogy and the start of another.

Anyway I think Amidala should FINALLY have her own theme. She plays a vital role in Anakin's downfall and its about time she got a REAL developed theme.

I'd love a combination of DotF and the Imp. March (didn't we have this discussion before?)

I actually have a midi file I downloaded from some poster, which mixed booth themes. Quite effective.

oh dear I hope not.

I'm sure hear a hugh orchestral finale in this one,maybe in which Williams will do a musical re-cap of all the major themes,like the last cue of Wagner's Ring music.

K.M.

Choral Force Theme. It's the only way to do it. John's used the force theme in closing titles twice, but never in the iris to the end credits - it'd be interesting to see. As long as it doesn't jar as much as Imp March > Love Theme > Credits did in AOTC.

By the way, what is the last piece in Wagner's Ring cycle? I'm trying to gather as much information on it as possible (short of paying a large sum of money to go and see it).

The ending with be a bunch of horribly rendered CG characters dancing to jazz music. :)  

Justin

Dude dont even joke about such things. That scenario is more realistic than you would believe, :D

Rogue, I like your idea about an Amidala theme. She does definitely need one, but at this late stage, it might be a little irrelevant. That would just encourage Lucas to go back and edit it into her appearances in the first two prequels...

I had hoped that the centrepiece theme for Episode III would be some kind of tragic number encapsulating the fall of Anakin Skywalker, the betrayal of the Jedi knights and the souring of his relationship with Amidala. Some kind of inversion of "Across the Stars" perhaps. Or there could be centrepiece themes for each of these, I honestly don't mind. :)

CYPHER

Rogue, I like your idea about an Amidala theme. She does definitely need one, but at this late stage, it might be a little irrelevant. That would just encourage Lucas to go back and edit it into her appearances in the first two prequels...

From what I heard heard these changes might already be in the cards.

Dont think Lucas is done messing with the original SW films even for a second.

He has only begun!

How about a Choral Version of the Imperial March with the choir actually singing lyrics instead of just humming?

Please. Williams will come up with something incredible and Lucas will replace it with a theme that doesn't belong there for continuity's sake.

Justin

How about a Choral Version of the Imperial mrach with the choir actually singing lyrics instead of just humming?

"The Imperial March"

Music by John Williams

Lyrics by David Gold and Neil S. Bulk

"Folks be-ware,

It's the Darth Va-der Song.

Ever-y-thing he does,

is rea-lly wrong".

Neil

By the way, what is the last piece in Wagner's Ring cycle? I'm trying to gather as much information on it as possible (short of paying a large sum of money to go and see it).

it's called:Gotterdammerung:Act 3:Immolation Scene(Finale)

K.M.,

I'd love a combination of DotF and the Imp. March (didn't we have this discussion before?)

I actually have a midi file I downloaded from some poster, which mixed booth themes. Quite effective.

That couldn't incidentally be the version I made? The first two phrases of the Imp. March, with the DotF horn theme on top twice?

Indeed. If you watch the music feature on the Ep. 1 DVD (which you can also viewhere), you'll see a clip of Lucas discussing DotF with Williams, and saying that it plays really well in Ep. 3.

However, this is 5 years old, and Lucas does tend to change his mind in unpredictable manners, so who knows, really.

- Marc

Has anyone noticed how each Star Wars movie seems to have less centerpiece themes?

A New Hope: Luke's Theme, Leia's Theme, Ben's Theme

The Empire Strikes Back: The Imperial March, Yoda's Theme, Han and the Princess

Return of the Jedi: Luke and Leia, March of the Ewoks

The Phantom Menace: Anakin's Theme, Duel of the Fates

Attack of the Clones: Love Theme from Episode II (Across the Stars)

From three themes to one.

Of course, that's open to interpretation; it's sometimes hard to tell what a centerpiece theme is. And though there is only one in Attack of the Clones, there are many, many lesser themes.

That couldn't incidentally be the version I made? The first two phrases of the Imp. March, with the DotF horn theme on top twice?

Hey, that sounds interesting. Where is this MIDI available?

Lucas has no problem what so ever with first saying something and later say the complete opposite.

Exactly!

The man is capricious as hell.

Or perhaos he just says some crap which he never has any intention of doing in the first place and is just lying to us.

Either way the man's words can RARELY be taken at face value.