I've seen Troy (short and spoiler free)

Alex, what you and I are forgetting is that many here fall into the key demographic for these films.  It's weird in my case.  I turned 25 three years ago, and it's about that time that movies started getting really bad.  It was as if a switch went off and suddenly I was no longer the target market and I could see all of the nonsense that was pandering to the teenage crowd.

Neil

You're right to remind me of that.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's my credibility, IrishCal24!  I've been down that road a few times before. And now I know a fakie when I smell one. Do you really think they can lure me into the theatre time after time again with their cash-in BS projects? A ticket is just too expensive for me to actually go and see every new movie in town. Therefore I developed this instinct (an instinct that doesn't run on reviews alone, BTW). It has never let me down yet and it has nothing to do with being a cheep. And right now my sensors tell me that Van Helsing and Troy are to be seriously avoided.

That's neither credibility, nor fact, just your opinion. The problem is that you seem to believe your "instinct" gives you the authority to tell others what they should or should not see with no regard to their own points-of-view. What's worse is that you constantly brow-beat others when they do not agree with you. When did you decide to arrogantly appoint yourself the savior of cinema? Every individual sees things differently but you don't seem to understand that.

As for "seeing every new movie in town", that's hardly the case for me. I saw a total of 12 movies in theaters last year, most of which I enjoyed. Most of time, I'll just wait for the video release if I have doubts about a film's quality. If a movie doesn't interest me in the slightest, I simply won't bother wasting my time with it; however, I don't go around dishonestly telling others it's rubbish as if I'd seen it.

Maybe, but who's the mindless one, if you haven't learned from past experiences and you keep returning to the same old, same old?

Yet again, here you are making uninformed assumptions. I've learned quite well from past experiences including those instances when I've made snap judgements about enjoyable movies based solely on their bad trailers and vice versa.

Well, Irish and Ray, I see the monster of mediocracy has got you both firmly in its grip. Indeed, I did my best to try to save you, but, I learned now that the indoctrination is too deeply anchored for you to snap out of it. I didn't understand the signs you two were sending me. The laughing, the personal attacks, the anger towards me, the constantly asking for credibility. I didn't see the symptoms which are so typical for people who are in denial but love to feed the "system". So all I can say is, enjoy the show...for as long as it lasts. One day you'll be looking "it" in the eye and you will be able to recognize it. It is on this very moment that you'll remember my words. From that day on, you will no longer want to feed it. You will be fighting it! And I will be right there, with my head held high, fighting along your side.

In the mean time, let's keep this civilized, shall we? Stop spreading lies about my workabouts. Initially, I only critique the product and not the spectator. After that, I only play the same game as those who were offended by it. You are making it personal, not me.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Well, Irish and Ray, I see the monster of mediocracy has got you both firmly in its grip. Indeed, I did my best to try to save you, but, I learned now that the indoctrination is too deeply anchored for you to snap out of it. I didn't understand the signs you two were sending me. The laughing, the personal attacks, the anger towards me, the constantly asking for credibility. I didn't see the symptoms which are so typical for people who are in denial but love to feed the "system". So all I can say is, enjoy the show...for as long as it lasts. One day you'll be looking "it" in the eye and you will be able to recognize it. It is on this very moment that you'll remember my words. From that day on, you will no longer want to feed it. You will be fighting it! And I will be right there, with my head held high, fighting along your side.

Your diction is so over the top that I almost find it difficult to take you seriously myself. But I think the point here is that the civility you seem to desire would be much easier to elicit if you'd couch your positions in a less haughty (and perhaps less hectic) tone of voice.

Movies are 5 bucks in the afternoon here at most cinemas,hardly more than renting it on video later,so i see movies I'm unsure about in matinee showings,so i don't storm out of the cinema angry and resentful if it sucked.Full price downtown showing here is 13.50$,that's another story.

So this way i can see Van Helsing and Troy and i wont regret it.For 5$ i only ask to be distracted for 2 hours.

Plus,they never check tickets at cineplex around here,so i often see a second film for free if I feel i was ripped off by the first.

K.M.

Das Boot is the only movie where Wolfgang showed he was truly competent.

In The Line of Fire had every reason to totaly suck, and he made a very good movie of it. And I know many people who still say The Neverending Story is the most magical film ever made.

Your diction is so over the top that I almost find it difficult to take you seriously myself. But I think the point here is that the civility you seem to desire would be much easier to elicit if you'd couch your positions in a less haughty (and perhaps less hectic) tone of voice.

I thought my position in this thread was clear, for am I not the Savior of Cinema?

But now that you are here, let's take advantage of our meeting. Where do you stand, Hlao-roo? Have you yourself felt the urge to nourish the beast? Did Troy confuse your mind with unpure thoughts? Is this why you have come to me? Please, speak freely and use any tone you like.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Das Boot is the only movie where Wolfgang showed he was truly competent.

And I know many people who still say The Neverending Story is the most magical film ever made.

I know of only one, but then again, he thinks Alien: Resurrection is a very good movie. Yes, this is true, I'm not telling you lies.

In the Line of Fire was ok but not outstanding. It did not succeed to distinct itself from the crowd.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Ignore Alex, he's has the taste and discrimination od a classical elitist listening to piano recitals in a dusty, brown room filled with dusty old books.

In The Line Of Fire is a very good film, thanks to Petersen's tight directing and even more because of Eastwood and Malkovich.

Well, I just last night listened to a piano recital..... but only becuase it was by a famous pianist. And mine was at an official concert hall. And I am not a classical elitest. And I am not Alex.

You know I don't listen to piano recitals. I listen to Boogie Woogie. I'm shocked that you would think otherwise.

I caught this tonight. I wish I had listened to Alex.

The movie was EXTREMELY cliche and not very well done at all.

The battle and fight sequences were very good and I guess made the movie worth seeing, but overall this was one disapointing film.

Not gonna bother catching it again as I had planned to.

What really pissed me off was how they changed the whole bloody stoeyline. That just sucked! What they think THEY can improve upon the Greek masters? ;)

I wanted to see it today,but listened to the PoA score instead.I heard a cue on Classic FM just now"The Trojan's Attack"It's OK.does not make me run out and get the c.d.,but i guess it's fine for the film.

Saw it this afternoon,and I actually liked this movie.It was a half hour too long but enjoyablr nontheless.I even liked Horner's score.Reminded me of the old Horner who scored Star Trek and,Krull and Willow,he even used the Klingon motif.There was a nice love theme in there,which is always a good thing.

K.M.

Horner's score ain't that bad. Clemmenson has his review up, and he reviews both Horner's and Yared's.

I will grant James Horner his talent for writing rich melodic music (original or unoriginal as it may be), but I still think he is one of the worst film composers, if only because his scores not only call attention to themselves, but sometimes they're not at all fitting to the images of the film. Every timeI heard that female soloist in the music while watching the movie, I couldn't help but shake my head. Absolutely no need for that. I guess James realized that moaning female soloists are in today with the success of Zimmer's Gladiator and Debney's The Passion of the Christ.

As for the movie, I was disappointed with it. There were aspects of it that verged on greatness, but the film contained just as many mundane scenes to throw off any kind of rhythm set by the massive panoramic shots of battle. The characters were weak, especially Brad Pitt's Achilles. All the interesting characters ended up being reduced to simple cliches, though I found Eric Bana's character, Hector, to be very involving, one of the few broad characters in the movie.

Somewhere lost in all the battle and boring dialogue scenes is good storytelling. The film juggles so many characters, yet few of them are all that interesting, and the good drama that the film does offer is so scattershot, making for an uneven experience. By the end, the film tries to poetically embody Greek tragedy, but it feels forced, and not earned. Like I said, there were aspects of it I liked, but the thinly drawn characters and the absence of good drama really make it hard for me to appreciate the film as a whole.

So far, both summer blockbusters released in May have been disappointments, the other being Van Helsing, which bordered on pure stupidity. I'm hoping things improve with Shrek 2 and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

Ted

You haven't even seen the movie yet! But I still think I'll like it. I never had any hope for them to do the story well, just for it to look good.

You haven't even seen the movie yet! But I still think I'll like it. I never had any hope for them to do the story well, just for it  to look good.

Of course I haven't seen Troy and I have no intention of ever seeing it either. You don't ask me to jump off a 10 store building, now do you?

----------------

Alex Cremers

I guess James realized that moaning female soloists are in today with the success of Zimmer's Gladiator and Debney's The Passion of the Christ.

That makes no sense at all, since Horner preceeded those scores with the use of solo female voice (very successfully I might add) for Apollo 13 and Titanic.

Were did you think Zimmer got the idea from?

You really make no sense at all, Ted.

so Troy finished #1 at the boxoffice, with a pitiful take. Maybe the movie of the week idea will run its course. Everyone I know who saw Van Helsing thought it terrible, and even fewer I know went to see Troy, and while they thought it was OK, for 200 million bucks you would want better than ok, but then this is wolfgang peterson, never know for making great films(yeah he mad Das boot, but it was boring in large spots too if you remember). He made Airforce One, and Never ending story two of the movies I thought would never end. Ever.

you can bet that Troy will have a hard time getting much past the $100 million mark, and Van Helsing will peter out about $130-140 million, far short of what a blockbuster is today.

(yeah he mad Das boot, but it was boring in large spots too if you remember).  

Nice try but I'm sorry, nobody remembers boring parts in Das Boot. I guess you felt the need to make that up, didn't you. Only his Hollywood career was kinda boring sometimes.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Alex, I haven't atched MTV since the 1980's.

no, they mostly play rap whenever I pass the channel, and rap makes my ears bleed.

this is wolfgang peterson, never know for making great films(yeah he mad Das boot, but it was boring in large spots too if you remember).  He made Airforce One, and Never ending story two of the movies I thought would never end.  Ever.

Wolfgang Peterson will direct Ender's Game, for May 2006. What do you think about that?

Wolfgang Peterson will direct Ender's Game, for May 2006. What do you think about that?

I think I wouldn't want to be the composer signed to that one.

Neil

O, speak to me no more. These words like daggers enter in mine ears. No more, sweet diskobolus.

it would be ok if they would just anounce BP is scoring it ahead of time.

you can bet that Troy will have a hard time getting much past the $100 million mark, and Van Helsing will peter out about $130-140 million, far short of what a blockbuster is today.

Well you are right about Van Helsing. The movie had a MAJOR drop off over this weekend. So that gross seems about right.

Troy is anyone's guess at this point.

It all depends on how much it drops off this coming weekend.

I know all of you are on PoA high :( but I wanted to post my thoughts on James "Four-note-Motif" Horner's latest embarrasment. I have to say that as a student of classical languages and culture and a film music fan this was not the biggest treat for me. I watched the movie last friday and I have to say Petersen did not read the same Iliad as I did. The movie was a blashphemy to the great literary classic. The music sounded fine for about 25 minutes until the attack on Troy started. Then came the moment I had been dreading for. There it was again, the friggin four note motif, blasted by the brass from the top of their lungs. From there the music deteriorated fast as my interest in the movie sunk lower and lower. All the music was empty embarrasingly loud and full of Hornerism and self plagiarism it almost ruined the movie. Plus there was a bad script and plot that 6-six year old could have written when given the assingment to summarize Iliad. I should have known Hollywood can't produce decent interpretation of the Homeric epic but I hoped in vain until I saw the movie. My trust is gone forever.