Favorite Post Return of the Jedi Star Wars Score

Lurker

What is Your Favorite Post Return of the Jedi Star Wars Score?  

41 members have voted

1. 1.

• The Ewok Adventure (Peter Bernstein)
    • Ewoks: The Battle for Endor (Peter Bernstein)
    • Shadows of the Empire (Joel McNeely)
    • The Phantom Menace (John Williams)
    • Attack of the Clones (John Williams)

And yes I know, technically these all take place before Return of the Jedi, but they were all written after Return of the Jedi.

Neil

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, that would be "The Phantom Menace", if only for "Qui-Gon's Noble End" and "Qui-Gon's Funeral" particularly.

I predict that "Shadow of the Empire" will get many votes, but I don't like it above average. And I've never heard (of) the first two in the list.

Roman.-)

I only know the two prequel scores, so my vote is for TPM. I just got the UE and am enjoying listening to it . . . though the end battle hasn't come yet, which apparently has the worst edits.

Ray Barnsbury

SotE is a solid score overall (not very true to true JW's SW scores but it works with original themes here and there), and some like it better than TPM, but I still don't clearly hear why...

Ahh yes those godawful Ewok movies.....the nightmares I had after watching those..........

I voted for TPM. Shadows is ok, a few cues stand out. I still wish Williams would have had some involvement.

The Phantom Menace (UE)

I'm sorry but I don't think you can fairly judge Williams' score to that movie using that album as a reference.

I just got the UE and am enjoying listening to it .

There's another one born every minute.

Neil

That faulty album is far better than any of the other options. The Phantom Menace by a mile and a half. Shadows of The Empire is the best of the rest, but does not deserve to be in the same poll as TPM. Good as it may be, it is vastly inferior to TPM.

To me it was a relief opposed to the standard edition in terms of sound perspective (the UE is better mixed).

So you can hear the horrible film edits clearer?

Am I the only one so pissed at the UE that I can't even listen to the POS anymore?

Neil

You can't run around hiding for us forever, Neil. The sooner you give in, the better. Why don't you do yourself a favor and make it easy on all of us. Surrenderrrrr!

I love disc 1 of the UE. The edits only become a problem in disc 2. The Battle of Naboo music is almost entirely unlistenable, but up until that, I enjoy the UE quite a bit. I would love the see a SE-style rerelease of this score one day...

Jeff - who voted for TPM

There's another one born every minute

That comment was in no way expected!!!! :P And it's obviously untrue, from people's subsequent posts. Maestro is right, the edits for the most part are only blatant and distracting on the second disc, in the midst of the battle music. It's really quite atrocious, and made me angry when I heard it. But I don't see why that should ruin the whole two hours of score. The UE gave me a lot of music I'd never heard before, which I'm really beginning to like. Of course, I'm totally with Maestro on an SE style release. That would be great. I may have to look into getting a TPM boot . . . is ElvisJones' the definitive version?

Ray Barnsbury

The Phantom Menace - a complete, unedited version.

Shadows of the Empire has some amazing cues like "The Destruction of Xizor's Palace," but it's a mere fifty minutes long, and does little to tie itself to the previously established Star Wars music. Attack of the Clones is a good score, but its incompleteness (the actual score, not the album) is detrimental. Haven't heard the Ewok scores. :?

TPM of course,no questions about it.

Next:AotC:it's below Williams usual standards,but still 10X better than any other composer could do

Next:SotE:I like Imperial City,Night Skies,and the last 2 minutes of the score(finale),the rest of it much less

K.M.

The Phantom Menace as number one definatly. Followed by Shadows and AOTC very close behind.

Justin -Who really loves the finale track on Shadows.

P.S. Why didn't you include PC game scores? I mean you included Ewok Cartoon scores. :P

I've voted for AOTC, perhaps for some of you not a surpise since I created an 'Ultimate Final Credits Suite' for it.

I love the more mysterious cues in this score, and the march of the clones.

Acctually that would be the Trade Federation March, the Clone March (or the Stormtrooper March can be heard in Star Wars. :music: )

Justin -Who thinks Williams and Lucas took the theme continuity so seriously they screwed it up. :?

Er--how? The TF march is rather effective in the cloning facility.

Except those are not the the Trade Federations droids. They are clones, completely different and therefore wrong. It'd be like using the "Imperial March" for a scene that doesn't even include Darth Vader!

Neil

By your reasoning, then, the cue "Ben's Death" is wrong?

It'd be like using the "Imperial March" for a scene that doesn't even include Darth Vader!

Like the finale of AotC, but again, it was effective.

Then why all the bother about continuity? :|

Justin -Who thinks the inclusion of the Imperial March in the sequence can only be understood when you've seen the OT first, and yet Lucas claims he wants the films watched in order...

It'd be like using the "Imperial March" for a scene that doesn't even include Darth Vader!

Exactly, it's wrong.

Oh, and Ben died while helping Leia to escape.

Neil

Er--how? The TF march is rather effective in the cloning facility.

Except those are not the the Trade Federations droids. They are clones, completely different and therefore wrong. It'd be like using the "Imperial March" for a scene that doesn't even include Darth Vader!

Neil

Yeah, the march didn't fit at all, even though it worked well.

But like Justin said, the Imperial March use can only be understood after seeing the OT. Although on the ESB cd it's credited as Vader's Theme, The best use of it in any of the movies is in the Third movie, and that's for the Emperor, hence it's correctly named The Imperial March, and then (Darh Vader's Theme). The music wasn't in the RoTJ scene because of Vader, but because it was like the Emperor on official Empire business. IMO the use in AoTC was fantastic, totaly fitting, easily and by far the best and most satisfying thing about the movie. It really makes that tiny scene of Palpatine watching the clone army one of the best of any of the movies. Without that music, it's like Chancellor Palpatine overseeing the Republic's Clone Army together with a group of dignitaries. With the music, it's the Emperor watching his storm troopers with his entorage.

I wonder how Episode III's score will fair.

Most people here seemed disapointed by AOTC's score.

Hopefully John will redeem hnimself with this one.

I'm holding out for that one- I have feeling it'll be great.

Maybe it's just going to be one big medley, you know, all the famous themes coming together. :|

That's be far better than AoTC. Williams is the only really great composer still writing great scores, and scores that could be counted among his best. If anyone in the world could pull off something good from a god forsaken trilogy, it's him.

I love TPM and AOTC. I'd vote them 1-2.

Really, you guys bash them too much. Both are excellent scores, and I listen to them about the same frequency as the original trilogy. TPM is awesome, and AOTC, while not Williams' best, is better than a heckofalot else out there.

Albeit, no legit release of TPM and AOTC is that good. But some fan-edited ones are :|

Hey I like TPM OST! It's a good single disc album. :sleepy:

Justin -Who very much enjoys both scores when not thinking about AOTC.

Exactly, it's wrong.

Neil

Really? One would think that he is thinking about luke when he dies...

Isnt Han solo the only one waiting for luke to enter the falcon?( i could be wrong about this) Im sure she even didnt noticed Ben was dead until she saw he was not in the ship... :sleepy:

Neil you must hate the prequels too much voting SOTE over Williams scores.... you could have voted in blank too... Anyway didnt you like AOC score before seeing the movie?

And remember we are talking scores, not movies.

Luke, who cannot think liking a score and then disliking it becasue of the movie...

Exactly, it's wrong.

Neil

Isnt Han solo the only one waiting for luke to enter the falcon?( i could be wrong about this) Im sure she even didnt noticed Ben was dead until she saw he was not in the ship... :sleepy:

Leia is on the ramp shouting to Luke. "Come on! Come on! Luke, it's too late!"

The whole point of them even being at the Death Star was to rescue the princess. Ben sacrificed himself so that she could be saved.

Neil you must hate the prequels too much voting SOTE over Williams scores....

I listen to it much more than the prequel scores and I enjoy it more than them, too. And I'm not alone. Someone else voted for it, too. :sigh:

Anyway didnt you like AOC score before seeing the movie?

I think when I first heard AOTC I was more thrilled that I had it a month earlier than I anticipated and that was exciting. In the long run, that score does not hold up.

It's possible to like scores to awful films. I couldn't be a Jerry Goldsmith fan otherwise.

Neil

It's possible to like scores to awful films.  I couldn't be a Jerry Goldsmith fan otherwise.

Neil

Ain't that the truth.

Exactly, it's wrong.

Neil

Isnt Han solo the only one waiting for luke to enter the falcon?( i could be wrong about this) Im sure she even didnt noticed Ben was dead until she saw he was not in the ship... :sigh:

The whole point of them even being at the Death Star was to rescue the princess. Ben sacrificed himself so that she could be saved.

Er... are you sure?... im not sure about the orginal version, but in the Special edition, they are captured when they arrive to alderaan (what is left of it), to deliver the Death Star plans to Viceroy Bail organa. Artoo eventually found about Leia, after Ben went to disconnect the tractor beam. So he didnt knew she was there, and it was not their intention to enter the Death Star. And you cannot deny he wanted them to leave with the plans, and he wanted luke to be safe. I dont think he cared much for the rest of the crew...

Penitence: watch SW again...............and attack of the clones :sleepy:

im not sure about the orginal version, but in the Special edition, they are captured when they arrive to alderaan (what is left of it), to deliver the Death Star plans to Viceroy Bail organa. Artoo eventually found about Leia, after Ben went to disconnect the tractor beam. So he didnt knew she was there, and it was not their intention to enter the Death Star. And you cannot deny he wanted them to leave with the plans, and he wanted luke to be safe. I dont think he cared much for the rest of the crew...

Penitence: watch SW again...............and attack of the clones  :sleepy:

So I got my chronology, and I know they weren't planning on going to the Death Star. I still maintain that Leia's Theme is played at that point because Ben is aiding in her rescue.

Oh, and you'll never get me to watch that steaming pile that is Attack of the Clones again. I've made that mistake just twice.

Neil

Isnt Han solo the only one waiting for luke to enter the falcon?( i could be wrong about this)  Im sure she even didnt noticed Ben was dead until she saw he was not in the ship...  :sleepy:

Nonsense, Leia is just there on the sidelines, she has little do with that particular scene. Ben gave himself up more for Luke than anyone else. Clearly Ben acknowledges Luke before Vader cuts him down. Ben knew Luke wasn't leaving the Death Star without him and he couldn't let Vader get at Luke. The emotional weight of Bens death is carried by Luke. Han, Leia and Chewie barely know Ben and to them, he's just a fallen soldier on their mission. No other character, expresses sadness over Bens passing.

To say the use of Leia's theme is justified simply because she was a bystander is ridiculous. Leia's theme is no more appropriate to Bens Death than the Imperial March is to the AOTC finale. After all, it is called the Imperial March, it is relevant to the Empire as well as Darth Vader. Note that during the Asteroid Field, JW uses the march as the Imperial Fleet chases the Falcon into the Asteroid Field.

That being said, I do think that the underscore still serves both of those scenes exceptionally well despite the questionable uses of established themes. Neil, I think you are overly critical of the prequels. All you do is bash them, is there nothing you like about them? Or are you incapable of disliking Lucas and enjoying his films at the same time? I am not a George Lucas fan in the least, but at the same time I wouldn't want Star Wars coming from anybody else.

I'll be the first to admit that they are disappointments and that Lucas blew one of the biggest cinematic opportunities ever. But I still enjoy watching them, disappointing Star Wars prequels still offer vastly more than almost all other summer entertainment. And disappointing Star Wars scores are still leaps and bounds over most other 'blockbuster' scores these days, LOTR and Harry Potter being the only recent scores in the same league as Star Wars IMO.

To say the use of Leia's theme is justified simply because she was a bystander is ridiculous.  Leia's theme is no more appropriate to Bens Death than the Imperial March is to the AOTC finale.

But at least shes there in the scene and you can come up with a plausible reason for why the theme is used.

Neil, I think you are overly critical of the prequels.  All you do is bash them, is there nothing you like about them?

Just today in another thread I pointed out that I liked TPM more than ROTJ and then gave some reasons why.

Or are you incapable of disliking Lucas and enjoying his films at the same time?

Why else should I like Lucas if his movies suck? He's a filmmaker, and his current films are lousy. Maybe if he could bring about world peace I'd like the man, but not his movies, but at this point I have no reason to like him or his current films.

disappointing Star Wars prequels still offer vastly more than almost all other summer entertainment.

The Mummy came out a few weeks before TPM in 1999 and was a genuinely fun film. Minority Report came out in the summer of 2002 and showed that a great film could still be released in the summer. Those films are far more entertaining and rewarding than either of the prequels.

And disappointing Star Wars scores are still leaps and bounds over most other 'blockbuster' scores these days, LOTR and Harry Potter being the only recent scores in the same league as Star Wars IMO.

And yet I find myself listening to other things far more than the prequels. I think TPM might be my favorite score of 1999, but AOTC is far from my favorite score of 2002.

Neil

To say the use of Leia's theme is justified simply because she was a bystander is ridiculous.  Leia's theme is no more appropriate to Bens Death than the Imperial March is to the AOTC finale.

But at least shes there in the scene and you can come up with a plausible reason for why the theme is used.

Why did you leave my plausible explanation out of my own quote...

"After all, it is called the Imperial March, it is relevant to the Empire as well as Darth Vader. Note that during the Asteroid Field, JW uses the march as the Imperial Fleet chases the Falcon into the Asteroid Field."

Vader is nowhere to be found during the Asteroid Field Chase, and yet it is HIS theme that starts that cue off. It's more plausible than Leia merely witnessing the onscreen events but having virtually nothing to do with them. Anyone of the other heroes could have been screaming at Luke to board the Falcon.

Why else should I like Lucas if his movies suck?  He's a filmmaker, and his current films are lousy.  Maybe if he could bring about world peace I'd like the man, but not his movies, but at this point I have no reason to like him or his current films.

Take a look at your own posts, you show a picture of the original opening to Star Wars. You are bitter about the way he treats the OT, and I think you take it out on his current films, the prequels.

The Mummy came out a few weeks before TPM in 1999 and was a genuinely fun film.  Minority Report came out in the summer of 2002 and showed that a great film could still be released in the summer.  Those films are far more entertaining and rewarding than either of the prequels.

I said almost all summer entertainment... yeah those were decent films (one of them a Spielberg, enough said), but what about the Matrices, LXG, Van Helsing, countless comic book adaptations, any movie with The Rock in it... I'll take Star Wars over any of them.

According to Williams, he chose Leia´s theme for that scene because it provides the appropriate dramatic sweep to the moment. Star Wars themes are often not as tied into specific characters as we´d like to think, although Leia´s theme is, leaving out that exception.

- Adam

After all, it is called the Imperial March, it is relevant to the Empire as well as Darth Vader. Note that during the Asteroid Field, JW uses the march as the Imperial Fleet chases the Falcon into the Asteroid Field.

Fair enough. Read this.

Why else should I like Lucas if his movies suck?  He's a filmmaker, and his current films are lousy.  Maybe if he could bring about world peace I'd like the man, but not his movies, but at this point I have no reason to like him or his current films.

Take a look at your own posts, you show a picture of the original opening to Star Wars. You are bitter about the way he treats the OT, and I think you take it out on his current films, the prequels.

Yes, I'd like to see a film he made preserved and presented properly. He's not doing that. He's just marketing and re-doing his shit so that the masses keep buying his garbage and I'm f**king tired of this nonsense. It doesn't help that the shit he's making and releasing in theaters now is such trash. The man has lost his touch with good filmmaking. He lost it in 1983. It's not a recent trend.

Sure, don't believe me and continue to enjoy his crap fests and buying into his "vision" (want Lucas' vision? Here it is, spelled out for you $$$), but I'm tired of this shit. Don't believe his lies! This isn't about presenting his films as he always inteneded, it's about getting suckers to keep buying the same junk over and over. Thank you, but I have better things to do with my money. And the one thing that I truly love of his, he ignores.

The Mummy came out a few weeks before TPM in 1999 and was a genuinely fun film.  Minority Report came out in the summer of 2002 and showed that a great film could still be released in the summer.  Those films are far more entertaining and rewarding than either of the prequels.

I said almost all summer entertainment... yeah those were decent films (one of them a Spielberg, enough said), but what about the Matrices, LXG, Van Helsing, countless comic book adaptations, any movie with The Rock in it... I'll take Star Wars over any of them.

I thought LXG was better than AOTC. And look what you are comparing Lucas' movies to. Bottom feeding low life summer shlock. It used to be you could compare his movies to the finest films that came out, (both American Grafitti and Star Wars were Best Picture nominees) so I don't think your defense of the prequels is working quite right.

Neil

Even the filmmakers of the Star Wars films seem to have forgotten what this piece is really meant to represent. In the latest film, Attack of the Clones a grand Imperial army of clones is seen while ?The Imperial March? plays. This is wrong in every sense of the word. Vader isn?t even a character yet in the series, and Anakin Skywalker isn?t even in the scene. A much more appropriate idea would have been to go back to the ?Imperial Theme? that Williams wrote for Star Wars. This would provide the correct continuity for the series, and it would further show the evolution of the Empire and Darth Vader?s position in it.

I really couldn't stomach the Imperial motif (from Star Wars) during a scene depicting such a massive army. It's not grand, it's not evil, it's just "uh-oh, bad guys." And it suits Star Wars perfectly well, but the finale of Attack of the Clones?

Also hearing ?The Imperial March? this ?early? in the series robs the ?later? films of some of their power.

Agreed, although I'm actually more concerned about it robbing Episode III of its (musical) power. How is Williams going to compose the obligatory spine-tingling rendition of the Imperial March at the end without it being redundant?

Acctually that would be the Trade Federation March, the Clone March (or the Stormtrooper March can be heard in Star Wars. :D )

Justin -Who thinks Williams and Lucas took the theme continuity so seriously they screwed it up. :?

Lucas did. NOT Williams.

A member of the London Voices said that Williams composed something original for that finale, and I believe that he said that it was his favorite cue that he heard during teh sessions that he attended. He was surprised that it didn't appear on the album, in favor of The Imperial March. It was obviously a Lucas meddling. I'd daresay that Lucas also told Williams to use the Droid March when we first see the Clone army. I don't see Williams mis-using his own themes in this manner. On the album, without the scenes, these two cues sound fantastic. But to the Williams fan, when watching the movie, we say, "come on... that's not the right theme to use there!" Like we've said, a more fitting theme would be Star Wars' Imperial motif... but it just doesn't have quite enough 'oomph', otherwise I think that Williams would have gone that route. I like to think of it as a Stormtrooper theme. Boba Fett's motif wasn't brough back in AOTC for him or Jango, and the reason being Jango's role was entirely different from the adult Boba, and his snake-like motif doesn't fit with his arrogant and forceful actions of his father.

A similar Lucass meddling happened with the Binary Sunset in Star Wars. Although it works, Williams inituially didn't intend to use it. However, since it doubles as "The Force" theme, it's not entirely bad. Plus, it sounds cool there(even though I also like the alternate).

I went back and read Neil's article on The Imperial March. Great article, but I slightly disagree with just this one point. I think that there could be a GREAT place for it in Star Wars; The unscored "force-choking" Admiral Motti scene. IMO, that would be a nice place to drop a little creepy rendition of Vader's theme to let us know who's there and what he's capable of when his chain is unleashed. I do NOT think that ANY scene that has previously scored music should be altered in any way. But a little addition of it there would be a nice touch if you ask me. Disagree if you may. This is also my policy with the infamous Special Editions. I loved the cleaned up video/audio quality, and additional footage, but I HATED the noticeable altering of previously existing scenes.

As for Yoda's theme in Bespin: Luke is showing more bravery and Jedi skillz he learned from his time with Yoda. He's trying to rescue his friends alone. The SW version of Luke had his buddies with him. This time, he's alone with only his added confidence of his training. It works, IMO.

As for Leia's theme in Ben's Death: They were saving Leia, and Ben's death was a sacrifice to get the job done. The needed distraction. Plus, didn't I read somewhere that Williams chose that music there because it sounded more sweeping? It works. I have no problem with it. Never had. Same with the above mentioned use of Yoda's theme.