Williams at Weddings.....

Johnnyecks

Have any of you attended a wedding reception where they played any of John Williams' music? I have been thinking about this a lot lately because two years ago when I attended a friend's wedding he had the band play the Darth Vader March when the wedding party was being introduced and ushered onto the dance floor at the beginning of the reception.

I thought that was very effective and, considering my friends "geekiness", very cool!

I have plan on having either the band, or the DJ, perform the "Through The Eyes Of Love" arrangement by Williams off of the "Unforgettable" cd for the "first dance" for me and my (soon to be) wife.

I wanted to see if any of you have any thoughts on this, or if you've had any experience with hearing Williams music at a wedding.

Just curious....

:thumbup:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I was to play any Williams at my wedding, it would be wedding-appropriate music, like love themes and the like. Piano arrangements of them would be nice.

Ray Barnsbury

Do we really need Williams' music to be scarred by being played by some 2nd rate group in between sessions of the Macarena and some Celine Dion crap?

I THINK NOT!

I had at least 3 JW cues for my wedding. I had 30 minutes of music before the wedding which included Leia's Theme and Luke and Leia. We ended the wedding with the celebration music from TPM.

My wife actually trusted me with selecting all the music. Went quite well if you ask me.

Rogue,

What I had in mind was to have a DJ play a cd that I give them. Not have a 2nd rate band perform them!

Stew:

That sounds really cool, my gf I think will be trusting me to select the music. We've had that chat before!

My wife and I used For Always for our first dance at our wedding.

We were going to use The Throne Room for the march out of the church, but my sister (Who was one of the Bridesmaids) and I couldn't keep a straight face.

I used JW music at my wedding. When the wedding party was introduced at the reception, I had the DJ play Throne Room Fanfare from Star Wars (off the Skywalker Symphony CD) and then when my wife and I were finally introduced I had the Main Title play (also Skywalker Symphony). Truely magical, everyone was applauding, while Williams "scored" the event. I chose the Skywalker Symphony CD because the OSTs would sound very familiar to everyone, AND the film version Throne Room is far too short. But the Sony Classical CD would have a less-familiar, live feel to it. At least I thought so.

Jeff

Yeah, the Gerhardt recordings are the best. But I wanted Williams leading the orchestra. I wasn't going for the best performances/recordings.

Jeff

We ended the wedding with the celebration music from TPM.

You ended the wedding with that a cue that is a variation on The Emperors Theme :love:

I had to put my wife in her place from the very beginning. I usually have her refer to me as Sir or Lord, except in times of high passion.

I know someone who got married to You Are The Pan (Though they didn't know it was Williams, they just loved it from the movie).

I had to put my wife in her place from the very beginning.

Always a wise precaution.

I usually have her refer to me as Sir or Lord, except in times of high passion.

Then you just subdue her with the evil stare from your avatar?

I had to put my wife in her place from the very beginning.

Always a wise precaution.

I usually have her refer to me as Sir or Lord, except in times of high passion.

Then you just subdue her with the evil stare from your avatar?

Yes!

May your marriage not have the same slooow dragging feel like the Skywalker Symphony recording.

Amen!

I thought long and hard about it, and can't believe I didn't have any Williams at my wedding. I did have a live horn octet, though, and just didn't have the time to properly arrange anything else for 8 horns. I arranged my wedding music - Trumpet Voluntary, "O Isis and Osiris" from The Magic Flute, , and Dvorak's Slavonic Dance in C, Op. 72 no. 7. The Slavonic Dance took forever, and I was partway through an arrangement of "Across the Stars" and had to give up due to time constraints. But I still think Williams is perfect for wedding music, even though my own wedding didn't reflect it!

For a wedding, I would have "Fawkes the Phoenix" play. It seems like an appropriate piece to dance to.

As for other events, I had suggested using the Throne Room music for the entrance at my high school graduation. Even though it would have worked magnificently well, they refused to use it because they thought it would be "too commercial".

As for other events, I had suggested using the Throne Room music for the entrance at my high school graduation. Even though it would have worked magnificently well, they refused to use it because they thought it would be "too commercial".

My high school has used it for the recessional at every graduation for at least a decade and a half. :love: I thought about this for wedding music too, but I didn't want to feel like I was at high school graduation again!

Don't bother with Williams' music at weddings, Horner's music is much more effective. If Williams' music is to be played than let it be funeral music. It's much better. When I go the way of the dodo, they'll be playing HYMN TO THE FALLEN at my funeral or else maybe the CONFUTATIS from Mozart's Requiem. Most sombre.

Hitch thinking that death is only the beginning of the end.

It''s definatly the end of the beginning.

The beginning of what? My demise from these despicable boards!

Hitch who says :love: to Steef and has already printed one t-shirt for the Williams concerts which states JOHNNY, REMEMBER WHEN WE DID ALL THOSE FAMILY PLOT MOVIES???? I LOVE YOU, JOHNNY.

Sir Hitch...you must learn to govern your feeling, they will be your undoing.

My God, the man's talking about feeling. I'm talking about universal armageddon. Why, you red-haired inhuman!!!

Hitch :love:

Don't make me give you a Vulcan neck pinch.

Try testing it on yourself first to see if it works. Should knock you out for a few hours.

Hitch :love:ROTFLMAO:)

Doesn't work, just makes me feel kinda drowsy...perhaps I need to put more pressure on it.

Try a baseball bat instead. Works wonders for the head! :love:

Have any of you attended a wedding reception where they played any of John Williams' music?  

(...)

I wanted to see if any of you have any thoughts on this, or if you've had any experience with hearing Williams music at a wedding.

I have been a wedding (slash any social event) video reporter for two years now, John. That is, I get paid for making 15-20 minute wedding videos - now considering all the hours a wedding lasts, that's a lot of cutting. Meaning the editing is essential. And since music is an essential part of editing, I always choose very carefully muy cues.

Last year, I was feeling bold and in the "ceremony" segment, I cut most of the dialogue, leaving only the music. Well, the bride loved it, but it gave me more than one headeache to find the proper music. I went for The Main Theme from Stanley and Iris. This was a summer, out-door ceremony so it fit like a glove.

I'm not saying you play this during your ceremony, but I have felt since then that cue has a particular "wedding feeling" to it, and could perhaps be appropiate for a later moment, in the background.

For receptions, if they are outdoors, I usually go for Jane Eyre's String Quartet. They give the whole thing a very classical feel, good to make the impression of history being made with this union. And the lenght is excellent for the video. However, I don't think you can use this cue at any point.

Each banquet has a different setting and a different feel to it, so I never use the same cue. I once used Vivaldi's Mandolin Concerto, and another time I used Waltz for Anna and Sir Richard, from The King and I. But who has music playing during their banquets?

Oh, and after the dance sequence, I usually insert a final scene with all the best shots of the bride and groom (glued together through any unused dancing footage) with the last mintue of Sarah Brightman's Time to Say Goodbye.

I know choosing music for a video is vastly different from choosing it for the actual ceremony, but this all I can help with my experience. Just stay away from Rodrigo's Concerto de Aranjuez, Blue Danube and Albonioni's Adagio, and you'll be fine. Same goes for Sinatra's I've Got You Under My Skin, Unchained Melody, My Heart Will go On, and Smoke Gets in Your Eyes... Couldn't be more clichéd (and tasteless) wedding music.

By the way, speaking as someone who's witnessed dozens of weddings -- for your first dance, there'll be a lot of eyes on you. Everybody will want to see your face of happiness at the time, so make sure you twirl around enough (at the pace of the music, or you'll be quite an anecdote), so that everybody gets a good sight of the sparkle in your face. That'll also be a blessing if you have a wedding reporter.

That said, congratulations and best of luck.

-Ross, who'd like to be original in his wedding and play something less serious, like The Final Frontier (the theme from Mad About You).

Being the HP freak i am i'll probably get married to Hedwig's theme. If that's legal of course.

No, I don't think marrying a piece of music is legal.

They'll probably legalize it here in Canada like they do with everything else... LOL

No, I don't think marrying a piece of music is legal.

Yes of course that is exactly what i meant.

I did have a live horn octet

Why am I not surprised? :( That's awesome, and even more so that you arranged music for it.

And Ross, your post is the epitome of why I love video editing. What you described would be so much fun! I've only done a neighboring family's vacation video as far as videos outside my own family, but I would love to do more. As a matter of interest (okay, I've seen that movie too many times now), are there any copyright issues with using the music you mentioned, or not because it's a private video?

Ray Barnsbury

Rogue,  

What I had in mind was to have a DJ play a cd that I give them. Not have a 2nd rate band perform them.

I was only joking. I meant to put a smiley in there to make it more clear.

I have been a wedding (slash any social event) video reporter for two years now, John... And since music is an essential part of editing, I always choose very carefully my cues.

That sounds like a lot of fun! Or are you completely sick to death of weddings? :)

Last year, I was feeling bold and in the "ceremony" segment, I cut most of the dialogue, leaving only the music. Well, the bride loved it, but it gave me more than one headeache to find the proper music.

A relative made one for mine, too - choosing the music was difficult, but it gave us a chance to include some music we couldn't have actually had otherwise. He did stills with background music, so no dialogue. I think we picked Brahms 4, mvmt 2, for the ceremony pics, and Dvorak's Slavonic Dance in C, op. 72, # whatever, for the video. And Sinatra/Bobby Darin for the rest, but we were careful to steer clear of "I've Got You Under My Skin." It turned out really well... but I didn't even think of anything from Jane Eyre!

Just stay away from Rodrigo's Concerto de Aranjuez, Blue Danube and Albonioni's Adagio, and you'll be fine. Same goes for Sinatra's I've Got You Under My Skin, Unchained Melody, My Heart Will go On, and Smoke Gets in Your Eyes... Couldn't be more clichéd (and tasteless) wedding music.

:P

If I may add... also avoid Pachelbel's Canon... :P

-Ross, who'd like to be original in his wedding and play something less serious, like The Final Frontier (the theme from Mad About You).

-SeekUYoda, who tried to be original in hers and now thinks that all weddings should have a horn octet. ;) (It was the most amazing sound!)

And Ross, your post is the epitome of why I love video editing.  What you described would be so much fun!

No, the fun part is when your ?300-400 check arrives for doing just that.

I've only done a neighboring family's vacation video as far as videos outside my own family, but I would love to do more.

I can trust you this because you live in another continent and so your business won't compete with mine: there's an unexploited gold mine in video editting in current days. Customers just haven't realised it yet.

As a matter of interest (okay, I've seen that movie too many times now), are there any copyright issues with using the music you mentioned, or not because it's a private video?

I think it technically is, but everybody uses copyrighted music. Besides, your employer isn't going to sue you for that, is he? Unless you do a video for Williams' daughter or something.

As a side note, all my end credits go with a piece composed by Peio, this board's poster. It's an honor for me to use it, and when everybody asks what the piece is.