Changes to Star Wars trilogy on DVD?

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They'll get released after Lucas dies.

I'm not sure about that.

Lucas may demand whoever gets the rights after he dies must agree to never release any other versions.

Believe me the man is insane enough to do that.

Lucas may demand whoever gets the rights after he dies must agree to never release any other versions.  

Well, then, let's get the job done before he has an opportunity to do this. I think Zam is our man.

Well, then, let's get the job done before he has an opportunity to do this. I think Zam is our man.

Zam is a chick.

Zam is a chick.

Well technically Zam could morph into a dude. ;)

So she could be both our man and our woman.

Well technically Zam could morph into a dude.  

So she could be both our man and our woman.

Your knowledge of the Star Wars prequel scares me...

Your knowledge of the Star Wars prequel scares me...

Me too, Rogue! I thought you and the Prequels weren't exactly very close?! How come you know so much about it? I mean, that was some pretty deep info there, man!

----------------

Alex Cremers

I admire that Rogue knows so much about his enemy. That gives him every reason in the world to hate it with a passion.

Neil

But that would admit that you acctually paid to sit down for over 2 hours and watch a turd swirl around.

Justin

Know so much about the Prequels!?!?!?!

Dude its made perfectly obvious Zam can morph just from one viewing of AOTC. Its not like this is some obscure fact from the SW series like that Nein Numb (that weirdo who sits next to Lando in the Falcon in ROTJ) in a Sullustan.

That is hardly having incredible knowledge of the Prequels. Hell, there are SW freaks out there who can tell you the name of some random nobody who walked by Obi-Wan in that Coruscant cantina.

I thought those Banthas were actually Mr Snuffelluffagus's family from Sesame Street. Complete with droopy eyes.

Hitch, who misses Oscar's grouchy conversations about murder.

Speaking of Zam, is it just me or is it really dumb for one bounty hunter to hire another bounty hunter to attempt to kill Padme? Is Jango Fett incapable of flying a remote control device filled with worms?

Neil

Speaking of Zam, is it just me or is it really dumb for one bounty hunter to hire another bounty hunter to attempt to kill Padme?  Is Jango Fett incapable of flying a remote control device filled with worms?

Neil

Zam didn't even friggin fly it. She just pressed a friggin button and it flew itself.

I guess you could say Jango hired Zam so that if the operation failed (which it did) then Zam would get caught and not Jango.

However, the real reason for the Zam character is simple:

He/she was merely put there to make for a completely gratuitous chase sequence (which BTW was less intense than the one in ROTJ from nearly 2 decades ago!) and to allow for information neccesary for the characters to advance to be passed.

So basically Zam was a character created for the cheap sole purpose of moving the story forward. A plot device masquerading as a character. A character who really doesn't even need to exist in the first place.

Whats really sad is that Liam Neeson's Qui-Gonn Jinn is in many ways the same thing in TPM.

I always felt that character was UTTERLY pointless and a waste of time. The first movie should've gotten rid of his character completely and focused on the Anakin/Obi-Wan relationship.

Well here's my 2 cents, much of which echoes what has already been written above. I don't mind GL using modern technology to "fix" certain effects shots that didn't quite come off. I love what he did with the Hoth battle in ESB special edition, removing the matt mines etc. I also like the redone battle scenes in the battle of Yavin. I really don't see the point of the rest of the stuff he did. The "sweeping camera" shots in SW and ESB just don't work (the entry into Mos Eisley, and the fancy Bespin shot leading into Han and Leia's scene, you know the one!) These shots are so different from the camera work in the rest of the film that they stand out as being cartoonish and distracting. It wasn't really until Jedi that Lucas started doing these kinds of shots.

I admit I had a lot of fun in 1997 when the Special Editions first came out. I really enjoyed seeing the movies on the big screen again, and the new shots were fun novelties. By the time I got the video tapes I realised they just stood out too damn much. One of the posts above mentioned that the movies had become "hybrid mutations" or something like that. I agree. Most of the special edition shots stand out like a sore thumb. I know Lucas doesn't want there to be too much of a jump in style when watching episode 3 and 4 back to back, but it's going to be there whether he wants it or not. 30 years tends to do that. What episode 4 lacks in visual complexity it will score over episode 3 in other ways. (Many other ways I'm sure if episode 3 is anything like 1 and 2!)

I also like the redone battle scenes in the battle of Yavin.

Anyone notice the flaw with this SE shot?

xwing.jpg

This shot goes 180 degrees around the ships so that they are flying directly towards the Death Star which means..........the Death Star has cleared the planet, since Yavin IV is clearly right there!!!! Oops!

In the original version, it was obvious that the ships had done some flying before arriving at the Death Star.

Neil

Neil, i think that anyway, Yavin's gravity may affect aiming...

But anyway it could be just a problem with perspective, it may look like DS and YIV are aliniated, but not being so. Even only few degrees would make a difference that far and the DS is slow, so it would take some time to get aliniation.

But of course, if could be a flaw.

Maybe Lucas wanted to add some flaws to the new scenes, just to match the flawed original film... :shakehead:

Maybe Lucas wanted to add some flaws to the new scenes, just to match the flawed original film...

Luke Skywalker, you're talking about technical flaws. Theoretically, every movie that uses FX is flawed, since FX are not real and always capable of improvement. Good FX don't make a good movie. If that's all you care about then you are wasting your time, just like Lucas.

----------------

Alex Cremers

But anyway it could be just a problem with perspective, it may look like DS and YIV are aliniated, but not being so. Even only few degrees would make a difference that far and the DS is slow, so it would take some time to get aliniation.

Can't the Empire's super weapon just move a few degrees, then blow up the planet since it's right there?

It's a huge mistake. The planet is right friggin there!

Maybe Lucas wanted to add some flaws to the new scenes, just to match the flawed original film... :shakehead:

You mean the original film that influenced the entire motion picture industry?

Neil

Can't the Empire's super weapon just move a few degrees, then blow up the planet since it's right there?

It's a huge mistake. The planet is right friggin there!

You mean the original film that influenced the entire motion picture industry?

Neil

Yes the DS can do it. BUT IT IS SLOW, as i mentioned, so it takes its time. It's just that im sure it is not as big flaw as you put it. And still, it had to rotate in position, not just tranlsate into it.

And yes Neil, SW has many FX flaws as the one you are pointing in the SE. We are not talking about the overall movie quality.

Luke, I'm not talking about an FX flaw. An FX flaw is when a matte box is visible or a huge black outline is around an image or something is transparent which should be opaque. Those are FX flaws. This is a narrative flaw that should never have been there in the first place!

Oh wait, it wasn't there the first time around.

Neil

Incidentally, why did they go around Yavin in the first place? They're the Evil Galactic Empire, why didn't they just blow right through Yavin. There might've even been enough debris from that one blast to take out the Fourth Moon right away.

But nooo... They had to go around. And now look what they got. They're all dead! (Well, except for Vader, because of course, the major baddie had to get away to return for the sequel.) Gits. And don't even get me started on that moronic trash compactor system!

:shakehead:

- Marc, :eek:

Incidentally, why did they go around Yavin in the first place? They're the Evil Galactic Empire, why didn't they just blow right through Yavin. There might've even been enough debris from that one blast to take out the Fourth Moon right away.

- Marc, :)

Yavin is a gas giant - you can't really "blast" it as it isn't a solid. And anything hot enough to keep a bunch of gases together and keep them from solidifying or freezing has got to be pretty hot, hot enough to have damaged the DS's superstructure.

They should've planned their hyperspace re-entry point better, but then that wouldn't have advanced the story either!

Star Wars is no longer a 1977 film, but a brand name. I can't wait for these DVDs, they're going to be horrible. I can't believe you all still care what Lucas does anymore.

Jeff

At what point did Lucas decide that SW, ESB, and ROTJ could be summed up by the colours red, blue, and green respectively? He used a similar colour scheme for the last trilogy release. When I think of Star Wars I think of light brown (Tattoine) and silver (Death Star). For ESB I think of white (Hoth), dark brown (Dagobah), and red (carbon freeze/Bespin), and for Jedi I think predominantly of Blue (Emperor's throne room), but then what do I know. I know that the Endor moon is green in ROTJ, but as a cover I think green lacks the sinister quality necessary for this final chapter.

If my brother buys these I'll probably forget the OT all together...

Justin -Who hardly remember it now. Nothing just....alert my star destroyer to prepare for my arrival...alert my star destroyer to prepare for my arrival...alert my star destroyer to prepare for my arrival...alert my star destroyer to prepare for my arrival...alert my star destroyer to prepare for my arrival...alert my star destroyer to prepare for my arrival...alert my star destroyer to prepare for my arrival...

There will be a presentation somewhere on June 22. Rick McCallum will be there as will Irvin Kershner and John Lowry. I expect details to be released after that.

Neil

Nothing just....alert my star destroyer to prepare for my arrival...

"Bring me my ship," and don't you forget it...even though I'd rather have the "archival editions," I still think the originals need a DVD release.

At what point did Lucas decide that SW, ESB, and ROTJ could be summed up by the colours red, blue, and green respectively? He used a similar colour scheme for the last trilogy release. When I think of Star Wars I think of light brown (Tattoine) and silver (Death Star). For ESB I think of white (Hoth), dark brown (Dagobah), and red (carbon freeze/Bespin), and for Jedi I think predominantly of Blue (Emperor's throne room), but then what do I know. I know that the Endor moon is green in ROTJ, but as a cover I think green lacks the sinister quality necessary for this final chapter.

I think ANH is yellow, ESB is Blue and ROJ is Red. I think it has to do with SW main titles being in Yellow, Empire's symbol being blue and Alliance one red.

Expect EPIII to have the EPISODE III letters in light copper. (EPI had them gold and EPII had them silver) Just for continuity, not logo reasons...

PS: I dont like ANH DVD cover. Luke never uses his saber that much to be put there that prominently :wave:

Well maybe Lucas has added a new scene with a CGI Luke using his lightsaber on the Death Star or something. I would really be into these new versions if only he made the originals available as well.

Jeff

Well maybe Lucas has added a new scene with a CGI Luke using his lightsaber on the Death Star or something. I would really be into these new versions if only he made the originals available as well.

Yes, then they could be looked upon as ... interesting, or perhaps even bizarre, but it would be very reassuring to know we can always rely on the originals.

----------------

Alex Cremers