Terminal: Annoyed that there are anti-piracy flags?

diskobolus

Annoyed that there are anti-piracy flags all over the album and the CD?  

24 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • Ambivalent
    • No
    • Didn't notice

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mind the notice on the back of the case, though it is a little too big for my taste, but I do mind it on the CD itself. I love the look of the CD, but the thing that jumps out right away is that notice, not "Music by John Williams."

Ted, who likes the red-ish CD

Did anyone else see that full page ad in USA Today asking parents to talk to their kids about internet movie piracy? It seems to me that parents have their hands full keeping kids in school and off drugs and alcohol and sex. Now the MPAA wants them to be just as concerned about Kazaa?

Did anyone else see that full page ad in USA Today asking parents to talk to their kids about internet movie piracy?  It seems to me that parents have their hands full keeping kids in school and off drugs and alcohol and sex.  Now the MPAA wants them to be just as concerned about Kazaa?

Kazaa was just shut down. Did you mean Bittorrent? :wave:

I rather enjoy seeing that there. I like what it means, and I like the little seal that they've put on with the F.B.I. Not only does it make me feel better, I think it goes along with the theme of the movie, in a way. If one was just glancing at the CD, and knew the story to the movie, it would not look out of place, I think. I have to side with the artists and corporations on the issue of piracy, so I don't mind this at all.

~Conor

It's condescending to have this dopey logo on the CD and on the package and it's not just on this album. My friend at the store pointed out to me that the FBI seal is also on the new Celine Dion album.

I bought the dumb disc, don't assume that I'm a criminal. This is not good public relations to treat customers this way. F**king RIAA and what a f**king waste of the FBI's resources.

You know, the iTunes stores has restrictions built into the files so that I can't distribute them to people, but otherwise I can do what I want with the music without these stupid g**damn warnings on them. It's looking more and more like an attractive option everyday.

Neil

I find it funny that so many in Hollywood and the recording industry have been pushing the envelope against basic morals for decades with movies and music... now that it's backfired and everybody is stealing from them they cry foul! Comedy! LOL!

You'll never be able to talk a Morn into telling them that stealing an intellectual prioperty is theft. You've already taught him that there's nothing wrong with stealing!

Also, he'll never even look at the cover, he'll just be ripping the score from the first dumbass who puts it online for freeand happlily pass it around to many more people. What will he care? Instead, the people who buy the CDs have to pay with higher prices, more warnings and more copy blockers (I don't mind other than I like to make myself a copy to take outside of the house and leave the original unplayed in my CD bookshelf at home).

As for the labels, I could care less. They look stupid, but no more stupid than a UPC code or the tiny print found on every CD or DVD. A little detracting from the rest of the packaging, but nothing truly horrid.

Did anyone else see that full page ad in USA Today asking parents to talk to their kids about internet movie piracy?  It seems to me that parents have their hands full keeping kids in school and off drugs and alcohol and sex.  Now the MPAA wants them to be just as concerned about Kazaa?

Kazaa was just shut down. Did you mean Bittorrent? ;)

Actually, I just sort of meant in a general way. It just ticked me off that they wanted to give parents one more thing to worry about.

If piracy is such a huge problem, they should stop spending $200 million on pictures that flop! Also, there's obviously room to cut costs, like making a complete changeover to digital. Ignore the sticks in the mud *cough*Spielberg*cough* and get rid of all the pricey film, cameras, processing, editing, printing, etc.

Finally, with the success of the iTunes store, you'd think the studios could use bittortent technology to create their own on-line movie store. Oh well, rant over.

I first tried to buy the score at 7 a.m. (CST) from iTunes yesterday since I couldn't wait, but despite being charged I could never download the files literally all day long since they didn't appear to be loaded onto their servers properly. And Apple's customer service was of no help at all...

My wife picked the score (wonderful score, btw) for me on CD yesterday afternoon instead (I would have bought a used copy eventually just to have an original CD, being a collector) and worse than the insulting FBI logo is the security label stuck under the CD tray right on the inlay artwork. I carefully tried to pull it off (after the case cracked when I opened it) and the sticker began to tear the artwork! I was furious?freaking Universal always does something to insult me and piss me off as a consumer.

Great score though. :)

Illegal downloading IS stealing,but I don't need mega corporations telling me it's the same as stealing candy from a kid or an old lady's handbag,because it's not.

K.M.

Could anybody post a pic of this? I haven't gotten the soundtrack yet, planning on getting it in the next few days

Actually, I just sort of meant in a general way.  It just ticked me off that they wanted to give parents one more thing to worry about.

If piracy is such a huge problem, they should stop spending $200 million on pictures that flop!  Also, there's obviously room to cut costs, like making a complete changeover to digital.  Ignore the sticks in the mud *cough*Spielberg*cough* and get rid of all the pricey film, cameras, processing, editing, printing, etc.

Finally, with the success of the iTunes store, you'd think the studios could use bittortent technology to create their own on-line movie store.  Oh well, rant over.

:roll: Yes, thats the way to go.

I didnt see any security sticker.

As well, I had no problems copying the CD.

That's one of the funniest things I've read in awhile. LOL

Didn't see the sticker but hey! It copies good. :sadwavey:

Justin

somehow I can't think that this is anything but a political thread, posing as a real thread.

Joe.

These FBI/DoJ seals are just on this one CD, not all CDs that are being released, right?

No. As I mentioned, it was shown to me on the new Celine Dion CD as well.

Neil

why a JW c.d.?Williams has a restricted fanbase,and most fans will buy the c.d.(us)

K.M.Who thinks The Wedding of Officer Torres is his favourite track

What's the big deal, guys? I mean the gov't probably had nothing to do with this, other than making the designers put that disclaimer on there. The designers were probably bored, wanted to do something creative and innovative to make their job stimulating, so they made the seals for the anti-piracy stuff. PoA doesn't have this and it came out a couple of weeks ago.

The designers were probably bored, wanted to do something creative and innovative to make their job stimulating, so they made the seals for the anti-piracy stuff.

I'm sure...

K.M.

It's crap like this that will keep me from buying this CD. Those of you who buy this are supporting the RIAA. I know we are JW's best fans, but this is an opportunity to make a statement. It looks like I'll only be enjoying this music in the film.

It's a shame it has come to this.

Considering how much JW gets per album purchase (maybe $1), and what the suits get (a lot more), then you have to make the justification as to who you are really supporting.

I saw the label right away and it, honestly, it didn't occur to me to be bothered by it. Too many bigger problems with the music industry (not to mention the world).

Having traveled the third world recently and witnessing first hand the huge black market in illegal copies, a warning label seems like a mild (although probably ineffective) reaction.

I think the whole issue of piracy is morally ambiguous, at best, and I don't think a fan's sense of entitlement should extend so far that we get offended that some bottom-line corporation acts like they aren't on our side. They're not and I've never had any illusion otherwise. Its the law that they maximize market-share and profit for their investors. That's an unfortunate reality, IMO, but a reality that more or less dictates the various antics of the RIAA.

Fans are a means to an end for a corporation, of course, so we have power. But I'd rather it be used to fight some issue more fundamental to the problem of art and commerce, rather than a very small peripheral issue like whether or not we're being afforded the proper respect because we're being coerced into read warning labels.

- Adam

Adam,

It's too bad that industry can't open their eyes and figure out their outdated business model doesn't work anymore. Threats and suing teens and preteens aren't going to fix something that is broke.

The only way I'll buy this is in a used CD store and if it won't break my computer when trying to play it.

What I don't understand is they go after file swappers, but not the used CD store. Where the store is selling the album in its original form and sound and making a very good profit without giving their "share" back. Yet a fileswapping service that uses files that are not in its original form and in an unsuperior form are being attacked.

That is why their busness-model is failing.

It's crap like this that will keep me from buying this CD.  Those of you who buy this are supporting the RIAA.  I know we are JW's best fans, but this is an opportunity to make a statement.  It looks like I'll only be enjoying this music in the film.

It's a shame it has come to this.

I don't like the RIAA because of their approach to the problem(essentially suing teens that face the prospect of heavy fines they can't possibly afford and possibly a criminal record,i'm not sure,but I won't start making "statements" that no one cares about and punishes me at the same time

K.M.

What I don't understand is they go after file swappers, but not the used CD store.  Where the store is selling the album in its original form and sound and making a very good profit without giving their "share" back.

That's not the same thing at all, a CD in a used CD store was at one point payed for.

So the record companies made money from it.

They do not make money if you replicate music in MP3 format and share those files on the net.

Yet a fileswapping service that uses files that are not in its original form and in an unsuperior form are being attacked.

I'm sorry, but you are looking at this the wrong way, a used CD is a single product, when MP3's made from 1 CD get spread around they can be heard by thousands of people, none of whom paid for the CD those MP3's were taken from.

Adam,

It's too bad that industry can't open their eyes and figure out their outdated business model doesn't work anymore.  Threats and suing teens and preteens aren't going to fix something that is broke.

The only way I'll buy this is in a used CD store and if it won't break my computer when trying to play it.

What I don't understand is they go after file swappers, but not the used CD store.  Where the store is selling the album in its original form and sound and making a very good profit without giving their "share" back.  Yet a fileswapping service that uses files that are not in its original form and in an unsuperior form are being attacked.

Its possible that the industry fails to grasp its own self-interest but its not clear to me. They're getting paid a lot of money to do just that and I can understand why they would want to stop piracy. But they no doubt recognize as a practical matter its impossible to stop so they're just using PR, trying to create an atmosphere of shame so people will choose not to go that route. The chance of being prosecuted is probably the same as winning the lottery but the word got out in the media and that probably had some effect, as much as I don't like it. Beyond that, I've got to believe there is wide recognition in the industry, though they may not admit it publicly, that their problems go deeper than just the piracy issue. What kind of business model would you recommend?

- Adam

Free! ;)

Seriously, something where prices are more in line of US $7-10 per album. CDs are still virtually the same price when they became available in the early 80s. Considering the amount that they sell now, it should be lower.

Lower prices could probably curtail pirating. Morn stopping? Probably not. But crazier things have happened.

Rather than buy a CD with music from your favorite musician, all of you'd rather leave it on the shelf, just because you're too immature to ignore a couple of flags/seals that are more or less there for artistic reasons, rather than legal ones. How do you guys know it's there for RIAA propaganda? So far, it just sounds like you're just assuming that and you're so upset at the RIAA, you blindly blame this on them. So far, you've got little justification for doing that and you're basically depriving yourself of great music for no reason.

If you ask me, the flags/seals look fake.

Free!  ;)  

Seriously, something where prices are more in line of US $7-10 per album.  CDs are still virtually the same price when they became available in the early 80s.  Considering the amount that they sell now, it should be lower.

Lower prices could probably curtail pirating.  Morn stopping?  Probably not.  But crazier things have happened.

It would probably curtail pirating and also curtail profits which is why the labels don't do it. If it were more profitable to price CDs lower, I have to believe at least one of the companies would have figured it out by now, for competitive reasons if nothing else. I think there's overhead expenses that account for the increase in prices on top of normal yearly inflation.

When you said business model, I was thinking more in terms of moving towards online sales where you can purchase any number of songs without having to buy an entire album. And I would tend to agree that this makes some sense and I guess this is happening to a certain extent already.

- Adam

Free!  ;)  

Seriously, something where prices are more in line of US $7-10 per album.  CDs are still virtually the same price when they became available in the early 80s.  Considering the amount that they sell now, it should be lower.

Lower prices could probably curtail pirating.  Morn stopping?  Probably not.  But crazier things have happened.

It would probably curtail pirating and also curtail profits which is why the labels don't do it. If it were more profitable to price CDs lower, I have to believe at least one of the companies would have figured it out by now, for competitive reasons if nothing else. I think there's overhead expenses that account for the increase in prices on top of normal yearly inflation.

When you said business model, I was thinking more in terms of moving towards online sales where you can purchase any number of songs without having to buy an entire album. And I would tend to agree that this makes some sense and I guess this is happening to a certain extent already.

- Adam

I believe some record companies have made deals to sell CDs in Russia at a reduced price.

Also, the iTunes music store allows you to buy songs without buying the whole CD 90% of the time. Sometimes one or two tracks, like "Mischief Managed" on PoA, are only available with the album.