Varese Sarabande releases Tom Saywer and The Missouri Breaks

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After having done the comprehensive twenty years ago I thought it was about time I did the finished art for this wonderful film.

More of his artwork can be found here

The Horner of movie posters. Ha! I'd say possibly the Williams or Goldsmith, but after looking over his resume...not Horner.

Struzan again.  :thumbup:  

The James Horner of film poster designers.

Stefan, don't bash my fav painter. ROTFLMAO

It is unbelievably difficult to draw as photorealistic as this. You would know if you'd draw yourself.

I haven't seen BR, but regarding to atmosphere maybe you're right since his original CoS art also missed the atmosphere of the movie. But just technically seen he's truly a master.

gl0007221308488360.jpg

I'm tired of Struzan, nothing he does is original, its all the same.

Still,The Phantom Menace is one if his best poster

K.M.Who would like this thread to be about the Tom Sawye score.

Speaking of the "Tom Sawyer" score, people here (and at FSM) have asked if John Williams wrote some of the music or if its all literally adapated from Sherman brothers writing. I've always wondered about this score, along with "Fiddler on the Roof," "Valley of the Dolls" and "Mr Chips": what exactly did Williams do on these scores? Anyone definitively know for sure?

As I understand it- he did write for Mr. Chips and Valley of The Dolls, and didn't for Fiddler on The Roof and Tom Sawyer.

I have a couple JW tracks from Mr. Chips, and they are wonderful. For fiddler I believe he didn't write anything, but he was VERY active in the process. Arranged and conducted everythign, even the international versions. (He went to Germany to conduct the German language versions of the songs)

Thanks for the info, Morlock. Shame about "Fiddler," as I particularly love that CD and would love to know Williams could take credit for it. Still, its interesting to hear how much he was involved (enough to earn his first Oscar, at the very least).

But on the newest release of Fiddler,isn't there a track credited to Williams?

K.M.Who aslo likes an orchestral track from Mr.Chips

K.M 2,Who has a great number of "unknown" Williams pieces,since his custom Crusherpromos don't have track titles.

He wrote some music for Fiddler, at least that's what the latest edition says... I think two cues, the Entr'acte for instance.

• 5 weeks later...

Nothing of Struzan strikes me as anything fanciful anymore. I liked it when he did the BTTF films, but since then, it's been fairly monothematic. No "ooh" or "aah" factor in there.

This is what the Episode I poster should've been like, even though it lacked the flavor of the original trilogy.

68314.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I took a chance on Tom Sawyer. Its about what I expected. The music was written by someone else but JW is still showcased in the sense that the arrangments have his stamp of quality on them. There's some pure orchestral versions of the major songs and other moments like a honky-tonk piano rift where his arranging is showcased. Still, musicals can be cheesy and this is no exception.

I've had Missouri Breaks and I like this a lot. Its unlike anything he's written in that he writes in a pure bluegrass kind of style, not using any standard orchestra. The love theme is nice and his banjo writing is impressive. Its not a typical JW score by any stretch which is either good or bad, depending on what a person is looking for in his music.

- Adam

What do you mean that's what it should've been?  The real Episode I poster looks a lot better than that . . . thing.

Ray Barnsbury

It's by far no Struzan, but not a bad drawing though. Who drew it? Or is it a CGI?

It's by far no Struzan, but not a bad drawing though. Who drew it? Or is it a CGI?

Well yeah, the illustrations themselves are very good but the layout is just blah.

Ray Barnsbury