Who do you want for James Bond?

MSM

Who do want for Bond when Pierce Brosnan stops?  

26 members have voted

1. 1.

• Christian Bale
    • Clive Owen
    • Russell Crowe
    • Orlando Bloom
    • Hugh Jackman
    • Heath Ledger
    • Colin Firth
    • Robin Williams
    • Adrian Paul
    • Russell Wong
    • Keanu Reeves
    • Other, please specify

Thanks for the suggestions JoeinAir ;)

Who do want for Bond when Pierce Brosnan stops?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want Bale for Empire of the Sun. Nothing before or since.

Owen IMO would be the best of them, Crowe, Ledger and Paul would be good choices too.

Firth would be perfect for a Bond parody, but I don't he'd be right for the real thing.

Bale was great in Equilibrium. We would have a more modern Bond. However this sounds not very promising:

Interviewed in this month's Empire magazine (out 1 May 2001), Christian Bale throws his name into the ring of possible Bond candidates, and then immediately ruins his chances by comparing 007 to the psychotic killer he played in American Psycho. 'I suppose there are actually a number of character traits that are similar between Bond and Patrick Bateman,' drawls Bale, 'a complete lack of remorse in killing people, both are utter misogynists.'

As for whether he'd consider any overtures from Eon Production to play the role, Bale says; 'I've only thought of it because a couple of people have mentioned it since American Psycho...Certainly if I was going to do it, it wouldn't be for a long time.'

I want Bale for Empire of the Sun. Nothing before or since.

He could make a good Batman. He couldnt make a good Bruce Wayne (which is what matters IMO). Michael Keaton was a great Bruce Wayne. Val kilmer was not. George Clooney.....oy. Batman is no stretch. Bruce Wayne is. IMO no person of Bale's looks or age could make a good Bruce Wayne.

Keaton doesn't look like Batman at all. (do you have dark curly hair, Morlock?)

Bale looks like the Batman I know from the comic books.

Bale, Bale, Bale, Bale, Bale, Bale, Bale!

I want Bale for Bond.

I want Bale for Batman.

I want Bale for Bateman.

I want Bale for Bruce Wayne

I want Bale for Bale.

Hey, that's five already!

You just keep stressing quantity over quality.

Bale has none of the wisdom on his face that the Bruce Wayne character needs. And I have dark brown hair, but NEVER curly (Right now I happen to have shaved most of it off)

Gah, I thought this was a David Arnold thread!

I guess I'd go with Hugh Jackman. I'd die before seeing Bloom as Bond, same with Crowe (I can't stand him!). The others I'm not really familiar with (except Firth, Williams, Ledger and Reeves).

Why isn't Jason Isaacs on the list? ;)

I used to entertain the Jackman idea, but after seeing him try to deliver one-liners in the crapfest that is Van Helsing, I changed my mind. :pukeface:

On the other hand, most of the Bond one-liners as of late are just blatant sexual references instead of witty puns and innuendoes anyway. :flush:

Gah, I thought this was a David Arnold thread!

LOL, me too.

I heard that Brosnan was going to do at least one more, yes? That means at least three or four more years for a final choice by MGM (or whoever is in-charge.) Clive Owen is a pretty obvious choice, as is Christian Bale. Depending on both of their next big movies (Arthur and Batman, respectively) one of them might become a real star (like Crowe) and not want to be tied up with the Bond franchise. On the other hand, neither of them might break-out, and then there might be some competition.

Btw, I want Bale for Newsies!

Bale has none of the wisdom on his face that the Bruce Wayne character needs.

Wisdom? I don't want Charles Martin Smith in a caped costume!

Keaton's acting was good but I never liked him physically. Especially his mouth from under that mask bothered me quite a bit. He just didn't have the Batman appearance, but I agree, he definitely made up with his performance.

Really, I don't know how Bale is going to portray him, but he sure has got the physique and that other neccesary quality for the role, namely, a slight degree of insanity.

Alex - who knows Morlock is dreaming that one day Rufus Sewell will be the next Batman.

dc015.jpg

----------------

Alex Cremers

Nobody has heard rumors about Ewan Mcgregor taking the role?

I think the would fit more than the rumored hugh jackman and half the list in the poll...

Plus he already has the English accent...

Sure but I don't like his personality. And in bond everything is about personality and not that much about acting.

I'll tell ya who I dont want: Timothy Dalton. That guy sucked as Bond.

Read the Ian Fleming books and see if you still feel that way.

Neil

There was a time when Hugh Grant was being considered.

Yikes. Bond turns into light romanic comedy.

I can see Ewan McGregor as Bond. And I have to ask: Keanu Reeves? How the hell did he even get on the poll?

I'll tell ya who I dont want: Timothy Dalton. That guy sucked as Bond.

Read the Ian Fleming books and see if you still feel that way.

Neil

I've heard people claim Dalton played his bond closer to the original vision of Bond. IMO it doesn't matter. I know what I LIKE as Bond and Dalton AINT IT!

Most people seem to agree. Which is why they went with Brosnan who seemed to agree with everyone that Sean Connery was the consumate Bond and he clearly modeled his performance on Connery's.

Brosnan's perfoermance is not modeled after Connery's.

But his style is a successfull merger between the tougher style of Connery and Roger More's lighter comedic touch.

Connery is KING, Brosnan second place, then comes Dalton, then Lazenby, and Roger Moore comes last.

Well you are more onto what I meant Stefan.

I guess I overstated the case when I said he "modeled" his performance on Connery.

I just remember seeing Brosnan statin in interviews before Goldeneye came out where he said "Sean Connery WAS James Bond.". Couldn't agree more. The man truly personified what everyone wanted to see from Bond. So when Brosnan gave his performance as Bond HE CLEARLY realized what traits and persona people wanted to see from him as Bond.

As for Moore. I am not a big fan of his performance either. His style was way too bloody tongue in cheek for Bond.

Brosnan's...style is a successfull merger between the tougher style of Connery and Roger [Moore]'s lighter comedic touch.

Exactly. He's the best of both.

BTW, I just saw King Arthur today. As for Clive Owen...and I know I'm being very nitpicky, but...I think he has "the look". But the tone of his voice is kind of weird, and I almost think he's not articulate enough. However, I really think he has a great, distinctive presence. I could almost see him as Bond. Almost.

As long as Connery is alive they should go with him.

Oh no, I mean Bale, of course.

As long as Bale is alive they should go with him.

And I have to ask: Keanu Reeves? How the hell did he even get on the poll?

Yeah and what about Agent Smith? He was left out altogether.

OK OK, I don't care what anyone says. Roger Moore ROCKED as James Bond! I think he's easily as good as Connery but in a very different style. Moore was actually Ian Flemming's original choice to play Bond, but it went to Connery instead.

I just wanted to stand up for Roger, the only English actor to play the role.

BTW My fave Bond films are:

1 From Russia With Love

2 The Spy Who Loved Me

3 You Only Live Twice

4 On Her Majesty's Secret Service

5 Goldeneye

But his style is a successfull merger between the tougher style of Connery and Roger More's lighter comedic touch.

Connery is KING, Brosnan second place, then comes Dalton, then Lazenby, and Roger Moore comes last.

I agree with everything said here.

Neil

I agree with everything said here.

Neil

As do I.

How about Sean Bean? Damn, that would have worked if he hadn't already played a villain...

Joe Don Baker was bad-guy Brad Whitaker in The Living Daylights before he was Jack Wade. Maud Adams was Andrea Anders in Golden Gun before she was Octopussy. And Robert Brown was Admiral Hargreaves in The Spy Who Loved Me before he was M.

For more Connery backup, a quote for you all from the brilliant British comedy Coupling (not to be confused with the American travesty of the same name).

"It's the four pillars of the male heterosexual psyche. We like: naked women, stockings, lesbians, and Sean Connery best as James Bond, 'cause that's what being a boy is!"

I haven't seen him act yet (has he acted at all yet?), but Robin Williams in a tuxedo looks exactly like Sean Connery did as Bond, only a few years younger. In a few years Williams has the perfect looks, so if he can act on top of that... he's my choice.

Robert Brown was Admiral Hargreaves in The Spy Who Loved Me before he was M.

I've always imagined Hargreaves being the successor to Bernard Lee's Sir Myles Messervy.

I just wanted to stand up for Roger, the only English actor to play the role.

Wasn't Dalton?

He's Welsh.

Neil

Joe Don Baker was bad-guy Brad Whitaker in The Living Daylights before he was Jack Wade. Maud Adams was Andrea Anders in Golden Gun before she was Octopussy. And Robert Brown was Admiral Hargreaves in The Spy Who Loved Me before he was M.

....Well he'd be more recognisable nowadays. Especially his fame in LotR.

I have to ask: Keanu Reeves? How the hell did he even get on the poll?

From an opinion poll held in Canada it could be concluded that most Canadians wanted Keanu Reeves for the role.