Next Trek composer?  

14 members have voted

1. 1.

• James Horner
    • Dennis McCarthy
    • Velton Ray Bunch
    • Cliff Eidelman
    • Other

Yeah, it was pretty much the end with Nemesis, but just supposing there was a new Star Trek film, who would score it?

I'd like to see Horner tackle it again. He came pretty close to making the "alternate" TMP score/theme for Star Trek II and that was his breakthrough score. What could he do 22+ years later? It seemed like he always took Star Trek to a more graceful part of the universe, whereas Goldsmith took you to the unknown.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The next Trek film is gonna be a prequel. How far back, I don't know.

I don't know about Horner. His scores back then were good for the films back then, but I don't know about now.

I thought they'd made all the Star Trek films that were going to be made.

If not, I've a feeling they'll get fresh young blood.

hopefully we won't have to worry about a new Star Trek film anytime soon...

I don't know about Horner. His scores back then were good for the films back then, but I don't know about now.

Perhaps if they turned Horner into a prequel of himself, he might be good for a Trek prequel.

Marian - LOL

I may be beaten down for this, and pardon my ignorance since I don't know much about his work, but would Joel Goldsmith be good for the job? I liked the work he did with his father on "First Contact." Not sure how his other work is though (not sure I really care about "Trek" music without Jerry Goldsmith though.) I did like Horner's two scores for the series, but as someone above pointed out that was then and this is now. Maybe they could just track in STII or STIII and save the trouble of hiring Horner to do it for them all the while charging for a "new" score :)

As unlikely as another Trek film is in the forseeable future, I've given some thought to this over the last day. I think a lot of it hinges over exactly what kind of Trek it would be. Personally, I'm still holding on to the lost cause of a DS9 film - If this were the case, I think Cliff Eidelman or Don Davis would be fantastic.

I loved Horner's entries into the Trek canon, but I can't see his current style fitting at all.

That's my position. The franchise needs a nice, long rest. I wouldn't mind a DS9 film, but only if they can write a story worthy of the series, which isn't too likely right now. I'm perfectly happy with the continuation of the story in the books.

Am I the only one who's heard about the prequel film?

Here: http://trekweb.com/stories.php?aid=40ee07cc1a12b

[Rick Berman says] that the eleventh STAR TREK film will be a prequel set before the time of 'James T. Kirk', but that it will not be related to the fifth television series ENTERPRISE.

There you go.

For the record, Nemesis is underrated.

The score or the film? I like the score for the most part. I wish the big statements of the TMP theme had made it onto the CD. The film...ehhh. :|

:devil: Slalom on Mt. Humol- Temple of Doom

I think the movie is more underrated than the score.

For the record, Nemesis is underrated. I think a Christopher Gordon should do the next one!

A back-to-the roots (more with a nautical feel, like Khan) Trek scored by Gordon would be wonderful.

Marian - :devil:

"Supposedly" it's supposed to deal with the Romulan Wars before the original series but at this point it's mostly speculative rumor. I'm acctually with Joe on this one. Give it a few years, get some new writers...some fresh ideas. Then go for it. :devil:

As for the next composer....Joel Goldsmith? :|

Justin -Who also Knows Nemesis is underrated.

Unfortunatelty, Rick Berman, the head of the franchise, couldn't care less about the music. (It is well known Berman insisted on "sonic wallpaper" during the TV series.) If Berman really noticed, he would have kept McCarthy on after his excellent work on GEN. No offense to Goldsmith, who did great work on the TNG films, but McCarthy had done his time in TV and showed he could do film work.

Now, his recent work on Enterprise was terrible. I guess it's possible Berman wouldn't spring for an orchestra, but it's also possible McCarthy has gotten really into MV-style synths. Therefore, I'm not sure I want McCarthy to score the next film, unlike ten years ago, when I would have been for McCarthy all the way.

I believe it will be Horner because he has done Trek before, and for the above mentioned lack of concern for music by tptb. Horner will slap on one of his action-like scores, and that will be it.

Personally, I'd like Brian Tyler to take a shot at it.

AND WHY NOT?

Justin -Who also thinks Ron Jones would kick serious @$$ writting a score considering his music is the only noticable music in TNG.

AND WHY NOT?

Justin -Who also thinks Ron Jones would kick serious @$$ writting a score considering his music is the only noticable music in TNG.

Yes! Finally! Someone with common sense. I love the Ron Jones scores from TNG. He completely blows McCarthy and Chattaway out of the water. After about the second season, McCarthy just turned to writing gray, uninteresting music. Chattaway lost his touch faster than that. I'd love to punch Berman for letting Jones go.

As far as Joel, I agree with that too. He did some amazing stuff for First Contact. Especially with his cues toward the end of the film. He is very underrated. However, his score for Kull the Conqueror wasn't very good from what I've heard in samples. And that's all I really care to hear. But for Star Trek, he'd do great. I'd also like to hear what Goldenthal or Poledouris might do with it too. Especially Poledouris. His themes are always really memorable.

Joel Goldsmith? The only thing I've heard him do of note was the score for the Stargate SG-1 series.

Have you seen First Contact? He scored bits of the film along with the entire climactic sequence at the end and did an amazing job.

Ron Jones would be perfect, his scores for The Best Of Both Worlds were the best written for TNG tv series IMHO. But I believe he had a fallout with Berman so I doubt we will ever see Jones involved with Star Trek again.

Joel Goldsmith would be another choice to score a ST film.