Return of the King EXTENDED EDITION Discussion

QMM

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surfacing from LOTR heaven here - been watching my EE box set, Christmas gift from my parents.

Watching the appendices on FOTR, it's just mind boggling, I can't get my mind around how they were able to do all that they did to make it so realistic in anything lesss than like 10 years! :happybday: Unreal.

What AMAZING artists worked on the project, hundreds of them, I can't imagine being able to create such masterpieces, of painting, sculpting, metal crafting.

I laughed so hard on the Bag End Set Test with Peter Jackson acting as Bilbo in his shorts and bare feet, and that mock up of Gandalf. The construction of Hobbiton was fascinating.

Greta - who couldn't believe they had made 1800 Hobbit feet for the four leads alone

Just watched rotk:ee. Great to have the extra footage, although I also did not like how Aragorn chops off his head at the Gate. As before, the most amazing moment is the charge of the Rohirrim, right when Merry and Eowyn scream. I get chills and a surge of emotion.

The best new scene was Eomer finding Eowyn on the battlefield. That was powerful. As for the placement of the Houses of Healing, I also agree it was awkward, although it is meant to show that Pippin does search a LONG time across a BIG battlefield to find him. Haven't watched the extras yet, will do so tomorrow, then watch the Symphony DVD.

Hey. KM fixed the MB

HURRAY FOR KM!

Indeed.I couldn't access the page 9 and was getting error messages,so I posted a reply from page 1,which seems to have unstuck the thread.

K.M.

:) JRR Tolkien.

By the way, I haven't put up my thoughts up on the RotK EE because a. others have covered it well and I really couldn't add anything, and b. too much and I'm too lazy. :P

I enjoyed it very much. Now that the trilogy has truly come full circle with the last EE, I'll just say that while I still have quibbles with changes in plot and character, I am continuesly amazed at how flawless every aspect of the design is in terms of the descriptions in the book, and that we will never have a more true or faithful depiction of these incredible works of literature on the screen. :D

And to urge yet again anyone that read LotR and enjoyed it to go and get The Silmarillon. Every bit the equal of LotR.

• 2 weeks later...

In other news, Peter Jackson has commented on the Ultimate DVD Collection:

The Ultimate DVD collection of the extended versions of the Oscar-winning trilogy, are not likely to arrive in stores for another two or three years.

"We really don't have a definitive plan," he says during a brief break on the Kong set. Just don't expect Jackson to edit together the three epic-length features into a single, 11-hour-long fantasia.

"I don't want to add more footage," Jackson says. "There's as much in there as we want. Eventually you are just going to go backward and weaken the films." Instead, he would prefer to simply show the unused deleted scenes (and, yes, there are more than a few leftovers) and explain why they were cut.

The Rings master also would like to include feature-length documentaries, put together by longtime associate Costa Botes, on the making of the movies. "There are no commentary or interviews. It's like a reality TV show," Jackson says.

The largest still-untapped source of amusement are the bloopers ? or "bleepers," as Jackson calls them. The flubs previously were shown only during private farewell tributes for major cast members as they took their leave of Middle-earth.

Deleted scenes and bloopers are definitely interesting, but I'm not sure whether I'd purchase a third set of these films, as I already have two versions of each movie.

- Marc

Expecting a Lucas way of doing things, i havent bought any.

Neither SW, nor indy or Jurassick park.

Luke, who hopes he doesnt have to spend a lot of money on certain out of print DVDs in the future... 0_o

• 1 month later...

Steef, am I right in thinking that your new sig pic is Ungoliant poisining the Two Trees with Melkor looking on? Very nice. I've never seen that before, where'd you get it?

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone tried to figure out the Fanclub Credits yet?

Of the unreleased portions the Mûmakill Charge cue was easy to identify, but of the other bits i've only identified the cue were Pippin finds Merry on the battlefield.

The part right before that with the solo singing (Sissel, i think) and the 3 minute coda with the boys choir are as yet unidentified (though i'm assuming the final 3 minute segement does not feature anywere in the film)

Doug Adams identified those over at FSM:

JK: Talk about how Sissel's music is in the fan scroll now instead of in the movie where it was going to be.

DA: Sissel's music was originally going to be after the big battle on the Fields of Pelennor and it's now in the fan scroll.

JK: I'm slightly devastated that she does not sing during the movie.

DA: Well, she's on the DVD one way or the other.

JK: It's better than you, I guess.

DA: Me?

JK: You're only on the Symphony DVD.

DA: Oh, I thought you meant she'd sung it better than I would have.

JK: [Laughs] Do you have anything to say about the final song, the children's choir at the end of the fan scroll apparently entitled "Bilbo's Song"?

DA: Yes, people don't know that, I don't think. The official name of that last song in the fan scroll in "Bilbo's Song." I think it would be great if this song found a use in The Hobbit someday. That would be very appropriate. On the other hand, who knows what will ever happen with The Hobbit and if this would even fit it, but it would be great for continuity's sake. Another amazing structural touch. Somehow, though, I trust that they're going to come up with something clever no matter what they do.

'Bilbo's Song' isn't in the movie, but I'm presuming the Sissel piece was replaced by the Liv Tyler song.

We're supposed to get an update on the Box-set soon according to a post Doug made over Moviemusic.com, but that was a couple weeks ago.

ttbk