Saving Private Ryan--General Consensus

Do you guys like it or not? It's pretty plain, but not in a bad way. My favorites are both tracks of "Hymn to the Fallen", "Revisiting Normandy", and "Defense Preparations". The other tracks are good to listen to when you're not trying to listen to anything, but you just want to extract the mood from it.

Like I've said before, "Hymn to the Fallen" seems oddly out of place when you think about that type of music--with the Tanglewood Festival Choir--and old WWII vets. The music seems too European and refined for them. Most vets I know (or knew) are just common guys who enjoy Marty Robbins and Charlie Daniels, not Orff or Mozart. Then again, I go back and think about the war and "Hymn" fits. It goes from something so inappropriate to something so perfect. I don't know why I like it so much. I bought this a few days after 9-11 (as opposed to The Patriot DVD), and it was so moving after that. I listened to "Hymn" and "Revisiting Normandy" and thought about the sore spot in my heart that was made a few days prior to that. Quite sobering. Then I listened to "Defense Preparations" and got all hyped up around 4:40, when those really cool strings kick in and turn it into something like "Navy Planes" from CE3K. The other 6 tracks are boring when I listen to them closely, but not when they're just playing and I'm only half-listening.

This is probably one of the most moving scores I've ever heard. This brings out the remembrance of the sacrifice that the generation before the last made for us in this country. The other one that makes me feel proud to be an American is The Patriot. That's raw Americana, there! From patriotism to down-home Americana--that score's got it all.

And we like Williams why?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is probably one of the most moving scores I've ever heard. This brings out the remembrance of the sacrifice that the generation before the last made for us in this country.

I agree. I liked the SPR score immediately. It is mellow and muted and subdued but it fits the film perfectly and definately evokes a mood. It's a totally different score than Williams usually does and that's another reason I like it. SPR definately ranks up there with my favourite Williams scores.

One of the best scores of Williams' career. It's very solemn and noble. The Hymn to the Fallen would make it onto any definitive Williams collection. This is one of those scores that's really hard to separate from the movie because it works so well. 5 out of 5!

This score is definitely not for everyone. Many people were/are disappointed that there were no action cues on the cd or even in the film. To me, it is better that there is no action music. The movie better fits as a memorial to friends and comrades rather than a typical war movie. The lack of action music adds to that memorial. All Williams wrote was music for the sentimental/touching scenes, and that music in itself is wonderful. I think this score is very touching and moving. I generally like action scores, but I enjoy SPR very much.

~Harry

To me the score is completely unmemorable. It moves me like constipation. Ranks down the low on the list of John Williams score to me. Typical 90's score.

The film is powerful and stunning. It has a great beginning and ending, and a soso middle, but a great war film overall.

Joe,

SPR personally disappointed me. I wanted a rough and tumble war score, and we got one nice theme (repeated twice) and some subdued underscore. TOO subdued for my tastes.

IMO, It worked in the film but is very bland by itself. Of course, I feel that way with most of Williams' quieter scores. I need a couple of good, tense cues or some good, old fashioned action cues for me to get into it.

-Chris, Splendidly happy with both AOTC and Minority Report... now just give me the complete AOTC and I'll be one happy sucka'!

John said in an interview at the time that he both him and Spielberg didn't want an action score. They didn't see it as an action movie- it was a movie about friendship, sacrifice, with emotional depth- so thjat's how he scored it.

Hymn to the fallen is one of the most betiful pieces he's ever written.

:) Danny Elfmen's rendition of the mission impossible theme

I don't think the film needed music at all, so the purpose of the music is "not to be there really", which brings a, as Chrusher said, subdued score.

Hymn is genious, though.

-ROSS

Its a good score. Not my favorite from Johnny by any means but its not the mediocre score some claim it is. It needed more original music and more thematic development.

I give it 4 out of 5. Great parts, but gets a little slow in the middle.

Wade's Death is my favorite. When I bought the CD after seeing the film for the first time, I played Wade's Death a lot. Those strings at the end are very haunting. Initially, I thought they were underscored with Wade's actual death, as the strings sound like they are reflecting Wade's last breaths.

But of course those strings play when Capt. Miller breaks down crying. It's still a great musical moment.

It's a fantastic score. Shoulda won the Oscar.

Jeff

Jeff

I agree.

-Strilo

:) "The Ring Goes South," The Fellowship of the Ring, Howard Shore

Jeff

I agree.

-Strilo

:music: "The Ring Goes South," The Fellowship of the Ring, Howard Shore

Yeah, Piovanni's score wasn't bad by any means, but I'm not sure it was even in the right category...

Almost the entire movie plays as a comedy...obviously some pretty bitterly dramatic elements inserted toward the end, but still.

I think Life is Beautiful must be the most light-hearted drama score ever to win the Oscar for Best Original (Drama) Score.

To me the score is completely unmemorable.  It moves me like constipation.  Ranks down the low on the list of John Williams score to me.  Typical 90's score.

The film is powerful and stunning.  It has a great beginning and ending, and a soso middle, but a great war film overall.  

Joe,

You're naturally entitled to your opinion, but to say that the score is "completely unmemorable" confers doubt on the idea that you've ever truly listened to the it.

"Hymn to the Fallen"! Even Clemmensen, who, not unsurprisingly, despised Williams's effort much as you do, had to hand Williams some praise for one the most moving works Williams has ever written.

Not memorable. Hmmph. It's even on there twice as one of Williams's controversial album reprises. You have no excuse, Joe. C'mon...

I will tell you what Alan, I will give it another try. I haven't listened to it in 4 years. The only time I listen to Hymn of the Fallen is when I listen to the inappropriately titled John Williams Greatest Hits cd. So I will listen to the cd this week and give it a fresh try. Best I can do. If I like it I'll take back what I said.

Joe

My favourite cue is Omaha Beach with its fantastic rendition of Private Ryan theme. Subtle it is and quiet but the Force it has. :)

And I agree with Jeff and Stilo. Oscar should go to this score!

Aghem (:angry: Omaha Beach)

The discussion so far really does sum up nicely my reaction to the score. From what I can recall the score works really well in the film as an almost imperceptible undercurrent of emotion. Hymn to the Fallen is an amazingly stirring and atmospheric cue that easily stands on its own, but the same cannot perhaps be said for the rest of the score. I own it on CD and have listened to it many many times. It is calming and relaxing whilst remaining sad and sombre. Clearly then it is not a really pleasurable or enjoyable listen unless one finds oneself in a bit of a pensive moment or bordering on sleep (which I think is the best time to listen to this kind of music - it really takes on a power of its own). Nonetheless it is most certainly an accomplished and respectable achievement. Ultimately my response, like the sum of the views canvassed here, is ambivalent.

CYPHER