The Aviator (Howard Shore)

Sideways (Rolfe Kent)

Spanglish (Hans Zimmer)

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is really screwed up. How does Clint Eastwood get nominated for an Original Score? Is it that good, or one of those artsy fartsy things?

Has anyone here even heard The Aviator or Spanglish?

The Aviator is very different from Shore's LOTR. Almost Classical-music like. Don't know how it works with the film but obviously a few people thought it works well.

I'm also disappointed with this year's nominees. I think Giacchino's INCREDIBLES is the best score of the year, in and out of the film context. So much fun to listen to from the first track to the final track.

I love parts of Williams' POA and The Terminal but not in their entirety. And The Terminal works well in the film but I don't think it's as integral to the overall end-product as GIacchino's music is in The Incredibles...and isn't that the criteria the voters are supposed to employ?

As for Eastwood being nominated, that's truly mystifying. His music for Mystic River was totally overrated as was the film. IN fact, it was one of the most overwrought, melodramatic pieces of **** that I saw last year. And I like Eastwood's stuff normally. Huge disappointment.

I never take The Golden Globes seriously. They're nothing more than a bunch of reporters that chooses something that's popular. Like the Academy, they are way off when it comes to choosing Best Original Score.

It's actually surprising they usualy go in the same vein as the oscars, as the Oscars are decided by thousands, but the Globes are decided by something like 35 people.

Fiery Angel said: (because quotes don't work)

...melodramatic pieces of **** that I saw last year. And I like Eastwood's stuff normally. Huge disappointment.

I totally agree about Mystic River. The music was so inappropriate; the theme (which was repeated more than a four-note evil motif) was far too nice for what was happening on screen every time it appeared. In short, Eastwood should have kept the job for the professionals. I probably would have liked the movie more if the score wasn't so over-the-top. How about some subtlety, Clint?

I never take The Golden Globes seriously.  They're nothing more than a bunch of reporters that chooses something that's popular.     Like the Academy, they are way off when it comes to choosing Best Original Score.

This man is wise, listen to him. :thumbup:

How can be a film nominated before its release?

The Aviator is released on December 17th. And even more interesting: score, on January 11th.

This nominations are bought!

As for Eastwood being nominated, that's truly mystifying.  His music for Mystic River was totally overrated as was the film.  IN fact, it was one of the most overwrought, melodramatic pieces of **** that I saw last year.  And I like Eastwood's stuff normally.  Huge disappointment.

In your view it might've been a huge disappointment but I see it as one of the best movies of that year. It's like we both seen a different movie altogether. Reading your words, I must say, 21 Grams comes to mind. I would fully agree with you if that was the case, but saying that Mystic River is a piece of ****, I really must disagree. Eastwood and his film deserved all the praise they got and more. The film was shot incredibly sober, almost daring in this day and age. If Clint was manipulating his audience then he did in a subtle way. I think I can count the close-ups of the actors on one hand. Finally I was watching a "movie" again and not a flashy MTV clip (21 Grams). If you think Sean Penn reacted a bit too emotionally, well, I would be upset if he didn't. I can't imaging anything worse than losing a child. There are many, many movies that deserve to be labelled a piece of **** a hell of a lot more than Mystic River does. The only critique I can give is that the score (the motif) indeed could've been better and that the last scene was totally unnecessary.

I watched this movie completely unbiased. I did not know what kind of movie it was or who made it. But during the movie I asked myself several times," Who is this fine, talented director?". It's been since Unforgiven that I was impressed by him.

----------------

Alex Cremers

What, only six nominations for Best Score? Didn't they once have almost ten? Talk about covering your bases - and hardly any of them got nominated for an Oscar! LOL

Where's the link to the rest of the noms? Ta. :thumbup:

CYPHER

In your view it might've been a huge disappointment but I see it as one of the best movies of that year. It's like we both seen a different movie altogether. Reading your words, I must say, 21 Grams comes to mind. I would fully agree with you if that was the case, but saying that Mystic River is a piece of ****, I really must disagree. Eastwood and his film deserved all the praise they got and more. The film was shot incredibly sober, almost daring in this day and age. If Clint was manipulating his audience then he did in a subtle way. I think I can count the close-ups of the actors on one hand.  Finally I was watching a "movie" again and not a flashy MTV clip (21 Grams). If you think Sean Penn reacted a bit too emotionally, well, I would be upset if he didn't. I can't imaging anything worse than losing a child. There are many, many movies that deserve to be labelled a piece of **** a hell of a lot more than Mystic River does. The only critique I can give is that the score (the motif) indeed could've been better and that the last scene was totally unnecessary.

I watched this movie completely unbiased. I did not know what kind of movie it was or who made it. But during the movie I asked myself several times," Who is this fine, talented director?". It's been since Unforgiven that I was impressed by him.

I agree with mr. Cremers (except for Unforgiven, which I wasn't a huge fan of). And the scene before the end is still out of place.