The Worst Scores You've Ever Heard

John Crichton

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another on the list is Dr No (just how many times did Monty Norman have to use "The James Bond theme" and "Underneath the Mango Tree"?) Barry was the best thing to happen to the films. That's all I can think of for now.

Actually, it was editor Peter Hunt who decided to loop the James Bond theme in so many sequences to give the movie a sense of a faster pace. Norman was at first pretty concerned about his music being hacked and looped, IIRC.

Although he's no measure for the John Barry scores.

I find it pathetic the way Barry just couldn't accept the fact that he DIDN'T compose the James Bond theme and went to court and everything.

I'm sorry, Roald, you obviously do not have a clue what you are talking about!

A large part of the James Bond Theme was composed by Barry, also the jazzy big-band arrangement and orchestration which made it world famous are his.

The theme is certainly not 100% John Barry, but John Barry is 100% the reason why it became the most reconisable film theme in history.

Except that, on two occasions, courts have ruled that Monty Norman - NOT Barry - composed, and has full rights to, the James Bond Theme (although Barry, obviously, popularised it).

But Norman's James Bond Theme was actually based on another composition he created some time before Dr. No. I heard THAT piece and Barry has NO RIGHT to claim the COMPOSITION is his. It's ALL Norman's. By the time ARRANGERS can claim the royalties that should go to composers all hell will break loose.

But Norman's James Bond Theme was actually based on another composition he created some time before Dr. No. I heard THAT piece and Barry has NO RIGHT to claim the COMPOSITION is his. It's ALL Norman's.

Yes I too have heard him sing that tune, it is only one tune out of several contained in The James Bond Theme.

That tune is also the only one that can be heard in the cues Norman wrote for Dr. No.

The other themes and rhytmes can only be heard in the short cue Barry wrote, that was tracked and looped troughout the film.

By the time ARRANGERS can claim the royalties that should go to composers all hell will break loose.

Please don't call John Barry a mere arranger.

Go to IMDB and compare the careers of Monty Norman and John Barry.

Monty NEEDS that theme to be his because it's all he has!

No matter how crappy, PoTC worked in the movie.

Yes it did. It is a good listening experience too, though.

~Sturgis

When referring to "POTC" are you talking about Pirates Of The Caribbean or Passion Of The Christ?

Neil

I was talking about Pirates, as I have been in this thread. I've never heard Passion.

Perhaps we should find a way to distinguish between those abbreviations. Like, for the composer: PotCMV and PotCJD.

~Sturgis

You know what score really gives me an effin' headache (other than Jurassic Park, I mean)? Hoosiers! On the one hand, we have this nostalgic Americana theme -- great -- but on the other, we are absolutely bludgeoned with a sledgehammer of banality in the "rousing" basketball music. As if it is supposed to tell us something we don't already know. Eesh.

That said, Ladyhawk certainly was an eyebrow-raiser. It made me long for Flash Gordon by Queen.

I was talking about Pirates, as I have been in this thread.

So you're the one that likes it. I thought you were mythical.

Perhaps we should find a way to distinguish between those abbreviations.  Like, for the composer: PotCMV and PotCJD.

I think we should refer to Pirates as POS.

Neil

Come, come, gentlemen... you mean to say you weren't present for one of my numerous JP rants?  Lucky you.

Indeed. :)

Justin - Who was not as fortunate.

I was talking about Pirates, as I have been in this thread.

So you're the one that likes it. I thought you were mythical.

There are more that frequent the Harry Potter boards. We need to drag one of them over here to tell us what exactly is good about that score. Drax, magical_me you guys hang out at the HP boards, right? This is your mission. :mrgreen:

There are more that frequent the Harry Potter boards. We need to drag one of them over here to tell us what exactly is good about that score. Drax, magical_me you guys hang out at the HP boards, right? This is your mission. Mr. Green

Speaking of which, there was one thread that someone made asking what people wanted to hear in the Harry Potter movies. The author said that his dad showed him a Vangelis CD and he thinks he would be perfect for the job! I laughed.

Oh, no! This turned into another Bond thread! :mrgreen:

Just be thankful it hasn't turned into another Potter thread. Oh, wait...

There are more that frequent the Harry Potter boards. We need to drag one of them over here to tell us what exactly is good about that score. Drax, magical_me you guys hang out at the HP boards, right? This is your mission.

Wha? Whatcha lookin' at me for? :mrgreen:

As soon as I saw that thread about what they'd like to hear in a HP film and someone said "Vangelis, without a doubt", I realized those morons are unteachable. But at least there's more fan loyalty to John Williams by SW fans at TFN Boards than there ever will be by HP fans at Mugglenet Boards.

Pirates works? Err, I guess it works ok. I mean it doesn't really hurt the movie, but it's only mediocre at supporting it. The best scores are fablious and fulled with emotion, emotion that is perfectly tuned to the scene. In other words, overscoring that fits and works.

Yes I too have heard him sing that tune, it is only one tune out of several contained in The James Bond Theme.

!

Whicch one is Norman's part,the suspence opening motif,the big brass part,or the electric guitar part?

K.M.

I've said this before and I'll say it to my dying day... The worst score composed thus far is the pile of stinking dung known as Mission Impossible 2... Hans Zimmer and his cronies managed to make one of the catchiest and most memorable themes ever written (full kudos to Lalo Schifrin) unlistenable... The score is just plain awful and every time I've seen the film since my first viewing I feel a knot in my gut... This score makes me long for muzak... or is that Prozac?

Nothing else, not Pirates, nor Gladitator or even Ladyhawke come close (for me, anyway).

BKL

I've said this before and I'll say it to my dying day... The worst score composed thus far is the pile of stinking dung known as Mission Impossible 2... Hans Zimmer and his cronies managed to make one of the catchiest and most memorable themes ever written (full kudos to Lalo Schifrin) unlistenable... The score is just plain awful and every time I've seen the film since my first viewing I feel a knot in my gut... This score makes me long for muzak... or is that Prozac?

Nothing else, not Pirates, nor Gladitator or even Ladyhawke come close (for me, anyway).

BKL

I believe ya.

Mission Impossible 2 ain't so bad, it's just a little metal mixed into the score, and quite appropriate for the movie. Maybe when you grow down, you'll like metal more.

Morn, be honest, where's the heart in all of this? For Christ's sake, it's Mission Impossible 2!!! Is this movie-making to your liking? Is this the direction you think cinema should head to? Why don't we shave our heads, wear white pyjamas and swallow tons of pills already?

----------------

Alex Cremers

I'm talking about the score, you're talking about the movie. Are you perhaps confused?

I'm talking about cinema in general. Isn't film music an integral part of cinema, MORN-1145? Does it not, at least a little bit, reflect the film maker's intensions?

----------------

Alex Cremers

Yes, but the score will mainly reflect the composer sensiblities, he's the one who writes the music, the director just guides and gives the ok. Remember Bernard Herrmann? He did not listen to what the director said if he thought it was a bad idea. And listening to a score on a CD, has is an experience that has little to do with the movie.

Anyway I was saying, one can hate the film and love the score.

Mi2 was a terrible movie, which is surprising as the screenplay was written by writers from the star trek shows. Still the score is quite fun.

Yes, but the score will mainly reflect the composer sensiblities, he's the one who writes the music, the director just guides and gives the ok. Remember Bernard Herrmann? He did not listen to what the director said if he thought it was a bad idea. And listening to a score on a CD, has is an experience that has little to do with the movie.

Anyway I was saying, one can hate the film and love the score.

Mi2 was a terrible movie, which is surprising as the screenplay was written by writers from the star trek shows. Still the score  is quite fun.

Bernard Herrmann is a much greater force and much more self-willed than Zimmer. I don't think the latter goes against the wishes of his employer(s). He's know to be a versatile chameleon, adapting himself to every given situation, while Herrmann never whored himself.

Relax, MORN-1145. Buy more. Buy now. Buy, and be happy.

----------------

Alex Cremers

1) Ennio Morricone - The Line of Fire

2) John Carpenter - It's Alive (?)

3) Trevor Rabin - Con Air

4) James Bond - The Spy Who Loved Me

5) Elliott Goldenthal - Sphere

1) Ennio Morricone - The Line of Fire

Not a very good score overall, but the cue Taking The Bullit is outstanding.

2) John Carpenter - Halloween

Are you kidding me?

4) James Bond - the one withe endless underwater scenes and the white car

The Spy Who Loved Me?

Come, come, gentlemen... you mean to say you weren't present for one of my numerous JP rants?  Lucky you.

I hope you get eaten by a t-rex some day. :angry: