The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

I was gonna try watching this coz it has Malcolm Tucker in it, but I've realised I just don't have it in me to watch such nerdy science fiction and comparatively substandard television.

Tonight I got the novelisations of Image Of The Fendahl, The Visitation, Revenge Of The Cybermen, The Curse Of Peladon and The Keys Of Marinus from my sister. She'd spotted them in an antique shop and got them for me, because she's nice like that :) .

First ep of 'Revelation Of The Daleks' last night ... somehow doubt that a Dalek 2-parter nowadays would have the first ep end with the Doctor still completely unaware that it's his oldest enemies he's up against again, but it's happening here. Still, there is amusement to be had from Alexei Sayle's teeth-grindingly irritating DJ and the interplay between William Gaunt's assassin and his sidekick with questionable personal hygiene.

"ROTD" is, without a shadow of a doubt, the best Colin Baker story ever. It's directed with flair and panache by Graeme Harper, and features almost uniformly good performances from the likes of Eleanor Bron (no TARDIS in The Lourve, for her, this time!), and Clive Swift (yes, Mr. Copper, himself!).

Best line: "I'm a past-master at the double entry". What does he mean?! :lol:

It sounds great in 5.1 (thanks to Mark Ayres!) with The D.J.'s music whipping all around the sound-stage. A brilliant ride from begining to end.

Me either - I've waited this long, why 'spoil' myself with only 6-odd weeks to go until the series starts?

Last year, series boxsets that shipped before the last episode had aired ... this year, script leaks before the series has begun. What IS going on at BBC Worldwide?

Picked up State Of Decay for £5, so the E-Space trilogy is now complete (that'll please Richard, hehehe).

It does, but...Adric :shakehead:

Are you going to see "Deep Breath" at the cinema? Apparently, it's a "feature-length" episode.

It's not!

"That's cold-blooded murder!" Brilliant. Malcolm Hulke at his very best, and that oboe, eh?

Now...check-out its companion-piece "The Sea Devils".

P.s. if you truly value your mental health, never, ever watch "Warriors FromThe Deep", although it's just about worth it to see old matey from "The Survivors" trying to kung-fu a dragon (no, I am not joking! :lol: ).

Just to show how different some Doctor Who fans are, I actually prefer Warriors of the Deep to Silurians.

Yes, the Silurians story is better, but at seven episodes its dragged out far too long for me and it probably doesn't help I watched it during a period when Pertwee was far and away my least favorite Doctor. Perhaps a rewatch is in order? As for Warriors, I actually liked the story. I've long beyond being bothered by bad sets, costumes, or lighting (especially in the 80s) so maybe that has made it more tolerable to me. Its still not great or even good by any means, but I seriously didn't see it as the abomination nearly everyone makes it out to be.

Indeed :devil: .

Of course, the 'something for the Dads' element persists to an extent in modern-day Who (Amy's short skirts, for example) but I doubt it'll ever be as blatant as that scene again.

Watched The Seeds of Doom over the weekend.

What a great story. Baker and Sladen worked well together, and all the elements came together perfectly. A nice rift on The Thing from Another World that shows a darker version of the Doctor. I'd love to see something like this in the modern series.