The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

Ive cherrypicked some serials from the classic series over the years.

Nothing from the 6th and 7th Doctors though.

Colin Baker's "Vengence On Varos" is great, "Revelation Of The Daleks" is exceptional.

McCoy's "Rememberence Of The Daleks" is great, as is "The Curse Of Fenric".

In fact you are all wrong.

The correct order is:

Davison,

Pertwee,

Tennant,

Eccleston,

Hurt,

Hartnell/Troughton/Baker © / McCoy,

McGann,

Grant,

Cushing,

Smith,

Baker (T),

So there. :lick:

I guess that I am, K.K. The fact is, that I am such a big fan of JP (I can still recall him falling out of the TARDIS, at the begining of "Spearhead From Space") that what came after, was, frankly not up to scratch.

I am acutely aware that TB has an immence following, and, over the years, I have warmed to his portrayal, but he still doesn't do much for me (he didn't even invent the Jelly Baby gag!). I was, however, absolutely gob-smacked to see him in the 50th bash.

More loss of credibility!

Says the man who avoided the classic stuff like the plague until less than one year ago. That's like me listening to "CE3K", and "Star Wars" and declaring that all JW stuff is crap!

I began watching DW in 1967, and I seen all - ALL - available episodes. This is something that most JWfaners cannot say about themselves

I even saw "Seven Keys To Doomsday"!!!!

My dislike of TB's portrayal is based on an entire lifetime of watching, studying, and talking about DW. I am not any less credible for not liking TB, in the same way that no-one is any more credible for liking DT.

'Favourite's Pertwee. Just love those creepy episodes with the Autons. Probably my first memories of Who from late afternoon reruns.'

Love how industrial action at Television Centre led to Spearhead From Space being shot on film in real locations, thereby giving Pertwee the best-looking debut story he could've hoped for.

• 3 weeks later...

Eccleston had some good episodes and I guess he deserves a share of the credit for making the show's return a success, but I think he's my least favourite Doctor ... easily the most boringly-dressed one of them all (from the likes of Pertwee's dandyism, Davison's Victorian cricketer and C. Baker's 'coat of many colours' to ... um, a leather jacket and black jeans? No thanks) plus his attitude since leaving seems to be that he's embarrassed/angry that he was ever in the show.

Even leaving that aside, there's the alleged 'fear of typecasting' in sci-fi/fantasy roles amongst his reasons for leaving; *interesting* then that within 2 years of doing so, he'd appear in Heroes and The Dark Is Rising. Plus the refusal to come back to film the brief scene of John Hurt regenerating into him in the anniversary special.

Yeah, he seems to have gone out of the way to make the fans of the show not like him at this point. It would not of hurt him to show up in Wales for one day to contribute to the proceedings of one of the landmark British television programs. He gets a lot of questions about the show and his lack of involvement, and with one day he could have resolved a lot of those issues that fans have and left a good mark with the fans. I never really liked him either way so it doesn't bother me, but I'm sure he let down a lot of fans of his with an attitude that doesn't really make a lot of sense and is definitely singular among nearly anyone else whose appeared in the show.

For christ's sake, he did the GI Joe Movie....

Apparently he didnt have a great relationship with the big wigs at the BBC at the time, so he chose not to return. He has that right.

And to then point at the other things he did and say "Hey, that's not fair, you are being inconsistent!" is just fanboys feeling neglected.

His stint as The Doctor was brief, but vital. I don't think having Tennant as the Ninth would have worked. Not the light and breezy Doctor of his first season.

Eccleston gave the revamped series a properly dramatic foundation. He could be a goofy at times, but there was always a hint of seriousness and danger there. Moreso then with Tennant.

I thought the typecasting excuse was revealed to be a PR thing, to avoid saying that he didn't get on with the BBC's management.

He certainly hasn't been grown up about it, considering I'd never heard of him before Who.

I understand Eccelston's reasons, at least as far as anyone knows,but he missed a big opportunity. All he had to do was give one day of his time and he could have gotten all the fans to leave him alone for a while and not be bothered by Doctor Who questions. By not taking part, he did himself more harm than good and will likely be even more bothered by fans because of it.

This is coming from someone that didn't like 9 all that much and didn't miss him one bit. I'm simply commenting from the standpoint that he could have saved himself a lot of grief by just toughing it out and showing up in Cardiff for a day or two.

He also did the series as a favour to RTD, after casting him in "The Second Coming". He only comitted to one series, and all concerned knew that. What he was annoyed at (and he would have every right to be) is that somone at the BBC broke the news that he would be leaving, the Monday after the first episode had aired. Eccleston has gone on record saying that he did not leak the information.

Eccleston was a brilliant Doctor, and the most "alien " Doctor since Tom Baker. From watching him, one is left in no doubt that this "man" is not from Earth...

Another thing about him I didn't like was the lack of the eccentric, slightly mad boffin/university science lecturer 'air' that most of the other Doctors have.

That's what made him unique and most of all, unpredictable. He had menace. I'm with Richard on this. Eccleston's a fine actor, and brought something special to a series I admittedly don't care that much for.

A Brit actor that would have made a brilliant doctor is Antony Sher. Still can, if the fangirls accept Capaldi.

He also did the series as a favour to RTD, after casting him in "The Second Coming". He only comitted to one series, and all concerned knew that. What he was annoyed at (and he would have every right to be) is that somone at the BBC broke the news that he would be leaving, the Monday after the first episode had aired. Eccleston has gone on record saying that he did not leak the information.

Eccleston was a brilliant Doctor, and the most "alien " Doctor since Tom Baker. From watching him, one is left in no doubt that this "man" is not from Earth...

I watched an interview with him before the series even started and when asked how long he would be doing it, it was clear it was not very long. He basically made excuses about how the new series is the length of two old ones.

I thought Eccleston was a great doctor. He does seem a bit stuck up for not doing the special though.

For anyone who wants to watch it, that interview is on the extras DVD of the series 1...er...series 27 box set.

I think we could well get an element of menace with Capaldi ... as Moffat has put it 'We've had the 2 'good boyfriend' Doctors, now it's time for the older man to snarl at you for a while'.

C Baker and McCoy definitely had a few high points, but had such lows too that it just brings everything down. Both do well with the Big Finish audios, though I still feel McCoy is a rather limited actor regardless of the material. Colin Baker is a revelation though and the audio stories show what a terrific doctor that he could have been.

Curse Of Fenric is in my pile of 'to be watched' Who DVDs, Richard :) .

The show kinda couldn't win in the mid-to-late 80s ... Baker's stories were criticised for being too dark and violent (must admit, with the likes of The Two Doctors you can see what they were getting at ... stabbings, the villainess licking up the Sixth Doctor's spilt blood, the Doctor killing someone (albeit in self-defence) with cyanide-soaked cotton wool etc). So then with McCoy's first series, the tone was deliberately lighter ... and criticism was that the show had become too comic!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another 'spree' ... The Reign Of Terror (over-the-counter purchase), and The Enemy Of The World plus the Beneath The Surface and Time-Flight/Arc Of Infinity boxsets on their way from Amazon.

"The show kinda couldn't win"? Is that "kinda"...or "Kinda"? :)

Only the early Hinchcliffe/Baker stuff was dark. By the time Graham Williams took over, the show got a lot lighter.

"Arc Of Infinity" is not bad, especially Omega, but "Time-Flight" is generally regarded as the nadir of the Davison era.

"Silver Nemesis" is good, especially in its extended form.

As for "Beneath The Surface"; The Pertwee stuff is gold-standard Who, "Warriors Form The Deep", well... :(

Really enjoyed Black Orchid with Davison ... interesting to watch a story in which the only sci-fi element was the Tardis, really. Caves Of Androzani was good stuff, too. I know that Warriors From The Deep has a ropey monster that would be better suited to a panto, but what the hell ... I recently enjoyed The Ark In Space, which has monsters basically made of green bubble-wrap.

Day late, but got multiple dollars. How is the Series 7 soundtrack?

I really enjoyed 5. 6 was alright. 7 sounds like a terrible variety hour from the samples.

I enjoyed it - not as much as S5, probably better than S6. The inclusion of "The Long Song" and the associated score cues are worth the price of the album, IMO. The episode didn't do much for me, but Gold was firing on all cylinders for that one.

Really enjoyed Black Orchid with Davison ... interesting to watch a story in which the only sci-fi element was the Tardis, really. Caves Of Androzani was good stuff, too. I know that Warriors From The Deep has a ropey monster that would be better suited to a panto, but what the hell ... I recently enjoyed The Ark In Space, which has monsters basically made of green bubble-wrap.

"Black Orchid" is one of all-time fave "Doctor Who" stories!

"The Caves Of Androzani" (or should that now be "The Caves Of Androzani Major"?) is Peter Davison's fave "Doctor Who" story of his era.

Watch "The Sea Devils" simply for The Master trying to communicate with The Clangers (for crying out loud!). Pant-wettingly funny!

Day late, but got multiple dollars. How is the Series 7 soundtrack?

I really enjoyed 5. 6 was alright. 7 sounds like a terrible variety hour from the samples.

6 and 7 took a long time for me to get into.

I think there's about 45 mins to an hour of good material to be had from each of the 2-CD sets.

The rest being too comedic, or in Gold's cheesy drumkit style which I wish directors would stop asking for.