What is the Last Film You Watched? - Part II

Lurker

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Big Lebowski.

Who is put to a lot of crap in this film, he really only wants to get his rug back, after it had been pissed upon by some Chinaman.

Dude, Chinaman is not the correct nomenclature. It's Asian American.

Rabbit--who advises never to watch Lebowski on TV.

He has no frame of reference here. He's like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

Shrek 3 - I cant believe I paid premium for this. Its tired, half hearted and the best bits are in the trailer. At best, its full of chuckles, but hardly any belly laughs. And whats with the king's funeral played out to Live and Let Die?

His prolonged death was probably the funniest moment in the film.

Well at least to me it was, the rest of the audience didn't know whether to laugh or feel sad.

i thought the boat bit was the best. the prolonged death scene was predictable to the point i could time his coming back from the dead exactly....which generated the biggest laugh of the whole movie from my date...

Final kudos to John Powell, who continues to impress with a score that seems even bigger than this already huge film is. Listening to it is like eating a big cake with sugar frosting, doused in popcorn, with melted butter and caramel poured over it. It's big, it's brassy, it's bold, it's orchestral music the fun way. I love it.

You have some nerve.

That's my metaphore!

He has no frame of reference here. He's like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

Morlock, you are about to enter a world of pain. A world of pain.

Vastly atmospheric and yet not very immersive. The film wants to be two things at once and therefore fails to achieve either of them. The concept (revenge, again, sigh) is not very fresh either. I hope Pan's Labyrint, the new and extremely praised Del Toro film, is better.

Alex

Just watched Dreamgirls last night.

It was a lot better than I was expecting. Love the use of lighting, and cinematography. And Jennifer Hudson, wow. She can really sing!!!

I hope Pan's Labyrint, the new and extremely praised Del Toro film, is better.

The extreme praise is extemely exaggerated. It's a noteworthy film which could've been better in a lot of ways. Fairy tale bits were too short to carry someweight and reality bits became grating and were too much centered around one rather idiosyncratic character (the nazi).

Just watched Dreamgirls last night.

It was a lot better than I was expecting. Love the use of lighting, and cinematography. And Jennifer Hudson, wow. She can really sing!!!

I think it was okay, not a great musical. It's not great music, and the film adaptation was nothing special. It was worth it for some of the performances, namely Hudson and Eddie Murphy.

Patton. One of the great gems in a film enthusiast's collection. A movie that you can come back to time and time again, and it will never let you down. ****/****.

Bleak House: Another fine BBC miniseries (8 hours) originally written by Charles Dickens and adapted by Andrew Davies. Great performances by everyone.

515XGD7NEZL._SS500_.jpg

Never heard of the novel or the series. Love the guy on the right who's name evades me (the bad guy from Last Action Hero who was also in Gosford Park, among many others).

Mind giving a slightely longer review to wntice us further?

Morlock- interesed

Yes, that's Charles Dance and in Bleak House he really knows how to create an impressive presence. The story itself is a combination of a thriller, a mystery and a love story. The good thing about these classic stories is that they usually have very good stories (duh!) and great dialogue. Andrew Davies is regarded as the king in writing these adaptions to the screen. I never feel I'm dealing with dated material. The acting, usually by the best actors Britain has to offer, is always stunning. Every adaption harbors many, many memorable characters. All these qualities are the reason why I keep buing these DVDs blind. I also purchases The Way We Live Now (with David Suchet), Vanity Fair, Middlemarch.

I looked up two reviews for you:

Bleak House New York Magazine Review

Bleak House Boston Globe Review

Alex

Saw Bug which was directed by William Friedkin, the man who brought us The French Connection, The Exorcist, and To Live and Die in L.A.. The movie walks a tight line in the last half, and I think you either buy into it or you don't. Setting up the Judd character is the most important part of the film, because if you don't buy her being able to be heavily influenced into a psychotic state out of her own loneliness and desperation in life, then you won't believe what happens by the end of the film. It's essentially about a woman who meets a man that has some odd quirks which slowly get revealed as a progressive mental derangement. He discovers what appears to be blood eating bugs under his skin, and around the motel room in which the two characters are staying. The Judd character, being extremely vulnerable due to reasons unknown until later in the film, gets caught up in the man's insanity. The last few minutes are flat out nuts. I recommend it, but I really have to watch it again to absorb all of the sutle nuances. It may get a higher rating on subsequent viewings. (***/****)

Knocked Up. Great comedy akin to The 40 Year Old Virgin. Not much to say, great comedy, great characters, realistic dialogue. (***1/2 out of ****).

Tim, really looking forward to the Coen brother's new film No Country for Old Men coming out this fall. Supposedly, it's a masterpiece.

I heard Bug was very good, but suffered from misleading advertisement. The ads set it up to be a horror film, when it is (to my understanding) more of a psychological thriller.

Like A Scanner Darkly (which, curiously, has the theme of bugs in it).

That reminds me, I watched that one again a few weeks ago. Absolutely loved it this time. The plot is a bit thin, but the junkie-type dialogues about absolute nothing that drag on forever are great to watch. And Robert Downey Jr, of course.

The dialogue scenes were great to watch, as was Downey Jr. The actors were very good. But what the hell is it about? It's one thing for plot not to matter, but the movie just lost me whenever it went into plot. I dunno...I am very unimpressed with most of Linklater's work, with the exceptions of the Before Sunrise/Sunset pics. Fast Food Nation was one of the worst films I saw from 2006.

Morlock- watching and thoroughly enjoying Dances With Wolves

Then watch it again. What little plot there is may seem complicated but if you pay attention, it's all much simpler than it seems. And much more effective.

I probably will watch it again. One question, though. In a word- what is the film about? Just to give me some direction. I didn't have a clue what it was about when I saw it. I recognized some of it's themes, but not much more.

Week 22:

96. Shattered Glass (2003)

An interesting portrait of Stephen Glass. Hayden Christensen gives a fine performance, that is aprropriate for the role. It does seem somewhat similar to his Anakin Skywalker, though, but it works much better here. Glass is clearly rather a messed up person, and it almost made me want to go back to re-watch Christensen's performance in Attack of the Clones (there's two things that stopped me, though - I realized Anakin was this creepy messed up guy right from the start anyway, and also, it's still a pisspoor movie).

Anyway, this one was quite a nice drama. Kudos to Peter Sarsgaard as well.

97. Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (2007)

It's big, it's long, and it's crammed. Will and Elizabeth are still boring, and I still don't buy Will and his father have any connection (until perhaps their final scene together, but by then it's far too late). At least Jack Sparrow is back to being a smart guy behind a clown's façade, and not just a dumb clown anymore. Also, Geoffrey Rush is awesome.

But the Calypso storyline is wasted, as is Chow Yun-Fat. Jack Davenport, who was the most interesting character in DMC, thanks to his transformation to an outlaw, has far too little to do.

I have to mention Davy Jones, though. This being a sequel, I was waiting for him to appear, and wondering what they would have changed to make him better, and if I would be able to spot it. But the moment he steps onto the screen, you forget everything. Every bit of technical interest goes out the window, and you're just there with that character. Not even Gollum did that for me the first time (it was the Gollum/Sméagol dialogue that cemented him). Many many props to ILM on this one.

It's rather painful then, that there's some stuff towards the end that looks like it's straight from Attack of the 100ft. Woman! or something. Oh well.

I didn't find it as fun as DMC (which fell flat on its ass the second time) and the movie seems to take itself a bit too serious at times, and I wonder how lasting this series will be. I feel cheated that they still find it necessary to set up a fourth part. Just end it already. Oh well.

It was decent.

98. Ghostbusters (1984)

I love it. It's wonderfully quotable, and the whole thing is like a 100-minute perfect joke. I keep noticing new stuff with every viewing too, even though I might be close to having seen it 20 times or something by now. The mark of an excellent movie, I think.

97. Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (2007)

I feel cheated that they still find it necessary to set up a fourth part.

I actually didn't get the feeling at all that they were doing that. It felt like Brain thinking up another zany plan to conquer the world. I think it was just a joke, a mythical goal to set for Barbossa to abandon Jack for. The only set-up for four is the box office. And as there will be a four, I assume it will start with them lamenting their stupid quest for the Fountain of Youth.

Although....did you stay till the end credits? That scene there puts limitations on what they might do for four.

That's possible. But it felt kind of like an obvious "the story's not over yet, kids!" sort of thing.

And I did stay until the end credits, which puts the set-up scenes in a bit of a different light. Oh well. I can't say I much care about the series anymore at this point.

By the way, to get back to what I was saying about Collateral last week, I watched a few scenes again, and I now think the DV look actually works rather well for the outdoor scenes. It's the aspect ratio that I find clashes with it. It's still a fine movie regardless, but when I watched it last week, something felt visually off. I think it's not so much the direct look of the film, but the combination of that look with the widescreen format that didn't fully click for me.

I don't know why, but for some reason, I've never realy noticed the aspect ratio of a film, unless I was watching the wrong version.

I'm probably just so obsessed with the whole widescreen vs. fullscreen thing I usually make note of the aspect ratio the moment the film starts.

That reminds me, I watched that one again a few weeks ago. Absolutely loved it this time. The plot is a bit thin, but the junkie-type dialogues about absolute nothing that drag on forever are great to watch. And Robert Downey Jr, of course.

I haven't seen it yet because the animation technique frightens me. The reviews aren't great either (not bad but not really good).

Marc, I thought you were watching Firefly this week. I made a bet with myself that you would love it. I want to know the outcome.

Alex- who hasn't seen Firefly but Serenity

hi everyone

the last film I watched was Fracture with Ryan Gosling and Anthony Hopkins. As thought, I liked it! Ryan Gosling is a great actor and of course Hopkins has earned his stripes too :-)

greets

Marc, I thought you were watching Firefly this week. I made a bet with myself that you would love it. I want to know the outcome.

I spent the last two weeks watching Firefly. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Especially the later episodes.

Serenity was even better. I wanted to watch it again the same day!

I probably will watch it again. One question, though. In a word- what is the film about? Just to give me some direction. I didn't have a clue what it was about when I saw it. I recognized some of it's themes, but not much more.

I will post this in spoiler mode, even though it's a fact that's learnt a few minutes into the movie:

Keanu Reeves is really Bob Arctor, the drug lord his boss orders him to watch - the name "Fred" is just a standard name for agents wearing the scramble suit. No-one in the police knows what the agents really look like without the suit. FURTHER SPOILERS: Of course, in the end it turns out that Keanu was set-up to become hooked on substance D in order to get into the rehab center, and obtain proof that he center itself was also producing the drug.

The book was written by a junkie and the film's ever-shifting focus is just mimicking the clumsy way a junkie's head works. I guess that's something not all reviewers noticed.

I spent the last two weeks watching Firefly. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Especially the later episodes.

Serenity was even better. I wanted to watch it again the same day!

I knew it! Personally, I'm not a fan (Serenity) but I was quite confindent you would like it very much.

I didn't like it either. I did like the way the F/X were used, though it ticks me off when people call them "revolutionary".