What is the Last Film You Watched? - Part II

Lurker

That's bad, since you aren't supposed to notice any of the effects in that film.

That's why I love Zemeckis' effects work. You'll hardly notice it until you watch the film a second or sometimes not even until a third or fourth time. Even when it's so in your face as in Roger Rabbit, you don't even stop to think about it when you watch it. Only when you've seen it a couple of times do you realize how good it actually is.

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's bad, since you aren't supposed to notice any of the effects in that film.

That's why I love Zemeckis' effects work. You'll hardly notice it until you watch the film a second or sometimes not even until a third or fourth time. Even when it's so in your face as in Roger Rabbit, you don't even stop to think about it when you watch it. Only when you've seen it a couple of times do you realize how good it actually is.

Indeed, last time I saw it I was struck with the notion that this must be one of the best directed movies ever.

Saw a few movies.

Analyze This. Still funny, even though I've seen it many times before. ***/****.

The Dreamers. Disturbing and nostalgic movie. Love the movie culture in it, freaked out by the near-incest angle. Liked Eva Green's wardrobe. **1/2 out of ****.

And if that was disturbing.......

Saw Perfume: The Story of a Murderer. WHAT THE F&%$?

I'm sorry, I think the movie failed at conveying the world of scent, and, as such, was just a murder mystery with a totally *%^$ed up ending. The book must have really been great, since I was shocked that Allan Rickman and Dustin Hoffman were attracted to such crap.

To the movie's credit, the first half was interesting, the guy's early years, his apprenticeship with Hoffman. In fact, it was interesting up until the massive orgy scene, and the cannibalism (both very poetic, of course).

First movie in a while that I've give Zero stars/****.

And I saw Apocalypto. Excellent film, one of the best of the year. Great performances by the star, Rudy Youngblood, and very memorable performances by Morris Birdyellowhead as his father and Raoul Trujillo, who is tremendous as the villain.

It looks magnificent, the final chase is partiuclarly amazing. Youngblood is the key to the movie, he is believable and intense, and doesn't make a flase move. And Trujillo as the villain is as imposing a villain as it gets.

Score was effective, not particularly impressive.

An intense and visceral film. ***1/2 out of ****.

Morlock- who's going soon to the local cinemateque, hopefully to meet Paul Verhoven, who is presenting Zwartboek his new holocaust film here

Reminds me about the car on the bridge near the end of the movie. I'd never have believed that was all CGI.

Saw Perfume: The Story of a Murderer. WHAT THE F&%$?

I'm sorry, I think the movie failed at conveying the world of scent, and, as such, was just a murder mystery with a totally *%^$ed up ending. The book must have really been great, since I was shocked that Allan Rickman and Dustin Hoffman were attracted to such crap.  

To the movie's credit, the first half was interesting, the guy's early years, his apprenticeship with Hoffman. In fact, it was interesting up until the massive orgy scene, and the cannibalism (both very poetic, of course).

Interesting. Apparently, you really have to read the movie to "get" the orgy scene. And I thought much of that scene was pretty well done - until the end, of course, which totally contradicts he most basic concepts of Genouille's character from the book and thus everything the book is about. The annoying thing is that large parts of the movie were so well done (at least visually) that I still feel I liked it.

A lot of the movie was well done, and interesting, and visually good. But it gradually lost me during the last few minutes, and once the prfume was completed, it lost me completely. I did like a lot of it, but, overall, I would never recommend anyone see the movie, I felt it kind of cheapened and ruined the idea of the most perfect and devine perfume in the world, into a very incohesive and,well, bad ending. In this case, I felt the ending was so bad, as to totally nullify the movie.

BTW- what did you think of the music? A lot of it sounded nice enough, but none of it left a mark. And I was so excited about hearing a new film score conducted by Simon Rattle.

Reminds me about the car on the bridge near the end of the movie. I'd never have believed that was all CGI.

Which movie are you talking about now?

What Lies Beneath... as I was going to mention, but apparently didn't. :blush:

I felt it kind of cheapened and ruined the idea of the most perfect and devine perfume in the world, into a very incohesive and,well, bad ending. In this case, I felt the ending was so bad, as to totally nullify the movie.

I really recommend you read the book, because the orgy and the finale are truly amazing and very fitting. Though as said, the orgy as depicted in the movie contains a crucial error which actually does cheapen it and nullifies everything the story is about.

BTW- what did you think of the music? A lot of it sounded nice enough, but none of it left a mark. And I was so excited about hearing a new film score conducted by Simon Rattle.

I remember thinking that on the one hand it was a lost opportunity, because the music would probably have been the best way to transport the world of smells, and that's something they hardly did (the visuals were brilliant, but music could have conveyed things much better I think). On the other hand, I remember that it had several excellent passages later on. I wanted to get it, though not at full price, and then totally forgot about it until you mentioned it (or the MM.com thread which was started at about the same time).

BTW, in said thread, FSM's Jeff Bond calls this the score of the year.

Well said, Steef. having recently purchased The Descent, I watched it again last night and I feel just as strongly about it after two viewings. It's one of the best films of the year; a great drama, and a great horror film. It really does interesting things with the material, which could have made for yet another mindless horror movie. But the Marshall has clearly learned from the greats and was able to make something uniquely fresh with familiar elements. This film cares about its characters and it takes its time with where its going before making the journey unspeakably real. We are plunging into the deep caverns of dread with these people and we slowly are filled with the terrible feeling that there is no way out. Then the movie unleashes a last half hour that contains some of the best horror I've seen in quite some time. But it works because of how the film got there. What Marhsall has done with last half hour of his film is what Spielberg did with the last ten minutes of Jaws; I am reminded of his famous saying: "If I've got 'em for two hours, I can do whatever I want with the last five minutes" (or something like that). Only this film makes that last five minutes the entire last act. And it's brilliant. I don't have enough positive things to say about this film. Just make sure you see the original British cut, not the version that was released in American theaters this past August.

Ted

All this talk about The Descent really got my interest piqued. I'm generally not a horror fan, but I think I'll make an exception this time.

I wanted to get it, though not at full price, and then totally forgot about it until you mentioned it (or the MM.com thread which was started at about the same time).

BTW, in said thread, FSM's Jeff Bond calls this the score of the year.

What is this MM.com?

Just came back from seeing Little Children. Excruciating film. I've got to think about it some more. I didn't much notice the score, except for 3-4 times during the film, when I really liked it. The cue for the climactic Football Game came right out of left field (kind of ironic expresion in this context, I guess), and it was fantastic. Sounded like Thomas Newman was trying to write a Randy Newman cue. I loved the End Credits piece, but I don't think it was the right tone for the end....Maybe that was how the score sounded throughout, but I really didn't notice.

Saw Tommy Lee Jones's The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada. Excellent, excellent film. Any first time director who makes one think of Sam Packinpah is a-ok in my book. Great performance by Jones, Barry Pepper is great, though I was surprised at how unlikable he was, given that he is generally quite a likable actor. Film looked stunning, curtousy of Chris Menges. Really phenominal stuff, best looking film I've seen in a while. Score by Marco Beltrami was very Morricone-ish. Especially understandable, as I've learned that Beltrami studied with Morricone for 3 years.

I was pleasantly surprised by the special features. They contain a very nice score featturette. Jones really got into the collaboration, and was surprisingly heavily involved in the process. Both Jones and Beltrami acknowledged the Morricone influence....I loved Jones's comment to Beltrami, upon hearing a piece a bit too close to Morricone (I'm paraphrazing)

"Is Sergio Leone still alive?"

"No...he died a few years back"

"Than I think we should let him rest in peace"

Highly recommended. ***1/2 out of ****.

Saw an Israeli film, which is something I rarely do. And a good one, too, called Metallic Blues. A nice, small film about two car dealers, quintessential Israelis, who spend their life's savings to buy a rare Lincoln, and travel to Germany in order to sell it for a huge profit. One is the son of Holocaust survivors, and the film is powerful in showing how he deals with going to Germany, and how his parents' experience affects his dealings with all these nice Germans. It does take it too far, but still is very good in this respect.

In the end, the film is a gentle one about the friendship of these two guys, and their trying to make a few extra bucks for themselves, the "American Dream' personafied by a beautiful 1984 Lincoln.

***/****.

Saw Igby Goes Down, a unique ensemble film from 2002 that not enough people saw. A deftly written film about Igby (Kieren Culkin), a teenager from a rich, disfunctional family, and his experiences after he gets kicked out or runs away from every single school he was ever sent to. Susan Sarandon is excellent as his mother, Ryann Phillipe is also excellent as his unsympathetic brother. Jeff Goldblum has a...different kind of role as his godfather. Claire Danes is charming and fantastic in it. Amanda Peet, Jared Harris and Bill Pullman are also good in it.....It's just a phenominal cast, doing phenominal work from an excellent screenplay. Oh, and Kieren Culkin delivers a great lead performance. ***1/2 out of ****.

And I saw another Bond film, Tomorrow Never Dies. It's one of my favorites in the series, my favorite Brosnan one by far. I don't understand how people don't like Jonathan Pryce here. I think his Elliot Carver is one of the best and most memorable Bond villains ever. The film is dragged down by too many action scenes, and Carver's demise is rather uninspired. But, still, Carver's goals and means of achieving those goal are as interesting as any Bond villains, save Goldfinger's.

Of course, the score is terrific. Due to the erratic scoring schedule, it's not as unified as one would like....but it is a collection of several great Bond cues. Too bad about the Sheryl Crowe song, especially when there's that good kd Lang one.

***/**** as a ragular film, ***1/2 out of **** as a Bond film.

And I saw another Bond film, Tomorrow Never Dies. It's one of my favorites in the series, my favorite Brosnan one by far. I don't understand how people don't like Jonathan Pryce here. I think his Elliot Carver is one of the best and most memorable Bond villains ever. The film is dragged down by too many action scenes, and Carver's demise is rather uninspired. But, still, Carver's goals and means of achieving those goal are as interesting as any Bond villains, save Goldfinger's.

Yes...yes...finally someone who agrees with me!

Of course, the score is terrific. Due to the erratic scoring schedule, it's not as unified as one would like....but it is a collection of several great Bond cues.

Actually it is surprisingly unified. You can hear shards of All in a Day's Work as early as in White Knights and The Sinking of the Devonshire.

having recently purchased The Descent, I watched it again last night and I feel just as strongly about it after two viewings. [...] Just make sure you see the original British cut, not the version that was released in American theaters this past August.

Indeed - to everything you said, not just my shortened quote.

All this talk about The Descent really got my interest piqued. I'm generally not a horror fan, but I think I'll make an exception this time.

You should. Just don't watch it alone.

You should. Just don't watch it alone.

I actually did just that the other night. It was just me, all alone in the dark, and it was scary to say the least. When I saw it in the theater, there was only me and one other person in there. So both times I've seen it were practically alone. It's amazing how scary it is on second viewing; I was ready for much of it, but I was still squirming in my seat.

Ted

25th Hour. A great character driven film. Still not sure about the ending. 4 out of 5.

Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind. Far improved upon second viewing. 5 out of 5.

The Nativity Story. I don't think they could have made this film more of a yawn fest. For a concept that the film makers are trying to pass off as mind shatteringly important, they certainly execute it with all the class and tact of a TV movie. 2 out of 5.

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou. Expect weird things when watching this film. Still it does provide a unique and enjoyable experience with some really good laughs. 4 out of 5.

Justin

Well said, Steef. having recently purchased The Descent, I watched it again last night and I feel just as strongly about it after two viewings. It's one of the best films of the year; a great drama, and a great horror film. It really does interesting things with the material, which could have made for yet another mindless horror movie. But the Marshall has clearly learned from the greats and was able to make something uniquely fresh with familiar elements. This film cares about its characters and it takes its time with where its going before making the journey unspeakably real. We are plunging into the deep caverns of dread with these people and we slowly are filled with the terrible feeling that there is no way out. Then the movie unleashes a last half hour that contains some of the best horror I've seen in quite some time. But it works because of how the film got there. What Marhsall has done with last half hour of his film is what Spielberg did with the last ten minutes of Jaws; I am reminded of his famous saying: "If I've got 'em for two hours, I can do whatever I want with the last five minutes" (or something like that). Only this film makes that last five minutes the entire last act. And it's brilliant. I don't have enough positive things to say about this film. Just make sure you see the original British cut, not the version that was released in American theaters this past August.

Ted

The Descent seems like the kind of film that should be terrible, but is actually very good. Those kinds of films always bother me.

I am way behind in this thread, so forgive me if this has been discussed already.

I just saw The Holiday. Not a bad romantic comedy. Of possible interest here is that Jack Black plays a film composer. There are several references to film scores. He makes a reference to "the great" Ennio Morricone. There's a nice scene in a video store where he holds up DVDs and hums a bit of their score and later he plays a bit from Raiders. :sleepy:

25th Hour. A great character driven film. Still not sure about the ending. 4 out of 5.

Indeed a great character driven film, but I am sure about the ending, and I like it. Nice score, really good theme.

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou. Expect weird things when watching this film. Still it does provide a unique and enjoyable experience with some really good laughs. 4 out of 5.

I don't know, I just didn't get it at all. Only thing I remember liking about it was one score cue, when the group raids the pirate stronghold (or something like that).

I am way behind in this thread, so forgive me if this has been discussed already.

The thread is about the last film you saw. Damned by everyone else, post at your own pace ;).

I just saw The Holiday.  Not a bad romantic comedy.  Of possible interest here is that Jack Black plays a film composer. There are several references to film scores.  He makes a reference to "the great" Ennio Morricone. There's a nice scene in a video store where he holds up DVDs and hums a bit of their score and later he plays a bit from Raiders. :)

I also thought it was not bad. Liked Jack Black a lot, and I did like the score.

Is it possible not to like Jack Black?
he looks like a mongoloid toad.

I like him in some things, but mostly I don't like to look at him.

Jack Black is not famous for the way he looks Joe.

Nor are you or I btw.

still doesn't change the fact that he's very unpleasant to look at.

Umm... what?

Karol

Tenacious D, the greatest band on Earth. Jables (Jack Black) is a very likable guy, and he has a great screen presence. He was great in High Fidelity.

I haven't seen either of those. Maybe that's because they're not worth watching?

You should at least watch High Fidelity.

How can one judge Indiana Jones 4?

The project sounds like a generally bad idea to me.

However, I will go and see the film with a mind as open as I can. If it turns out great after all, then all will be forgiven.

Blood Diamond

I really enjoyed it, apart from some of the side plot with Solomon's son being "brainwashed," I thought it was better than Last Samurai. Leo was, again, wonderful in his role and I was happy that there wasn't a sex scene between him and Connely's character, even though she looked absolutely amazing. JNH's score was great, with the theme popping up at the right times but not too much and the cinematography was gorgeous throughout the whole thing although it'd be really hard not to have those shots given where they were shooting.