What is the Last Film You Watched? - Part II

Lurker

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I can't understand why Silence Of The Lambs won all those oscars back in 92, because it's far for a complete film.

There's so much backstorey missing and so much stuff about Lecter that isn't explained.

In Silence he's just a dangerous cannibal instead of a tragic figure.

Not really, I thought the movie was constructed well enough to explain his back story. Kinda like Star Wars was, you knew enough and weren't overloaded with a bunch of issues that would later pop up.

I can't find a single thing wrong in that movie. As you put it, Steef, absolutely spot on and with one of the best uses of Special Effects I have ever seen.

my thoughts exactly

I liked the way how all the elements, acting, script, direction, camerwork, effects, music blended so perfectly together.

Usually, even with a very good or great film one or more elements dominate the rest, but this is just such a perfect collaboration.

I will say this thoigh, the DTS 5.1 track on this DVD is one of the best I've heard. Even in the battle scenes the sound effects didn't descent in a cacaphony of sheer noise.

In Silence he's just a dangerous cannibal instead of a tragic figure.

Yeah, Demme said in his commentary that he regretted not alluding more to Lecter past, his childhood in Lithuania, his love for his sister, and the things that drove him to be what he is. However, I think that including any of it without fully exploring it would be short-changing the material, and including all of it would be impractical. Better the material get it's own movie (although this new one doesn't sound too promising). Lecter is great in the film as a monster, but one who shares are sympathies. Lecter is the only person in the film who really identifies and understands Clarice, likes her and is protective of her, like the audience is. The film is about Clarice on the hunt for Buffalo Bill, not Lecter, so I think that it might seem out of place to try and explain Lecter. It's not about him, he is a conduit for us.

I liked the way how all the elements, acting, script, direction, camerwork, effects, music blended so perfectly together.

Usually, even with a very good or great film one or more elements dominate the rest, but this is just such a perfect collaboration.

I will say this thoigh, the DTS 5.1 track on this DVD is one of the best I've heard. Even in the battle scenes the sound effects didn't descent in a cacaphony of sheer noise.

Indeed a very fine movie. One of the only great ones from that dismal year that was 2003. Weir is really a special director. He really cares about all the intricacies of his film. He spent months going over The Truman Show before he made it, making sure that every loose end is tied up. And the sound is really impressive in the film, and the DVD does great justice to the experience. Too bad it was up against RoTK, since it deserves recognition for so much of the technical stuff that went into it. There were rumors of adapting more of the books- anyone know what happened with that?

I saw Se7en. One of the best thrillers ever. It is such an intelligent movie, it is really a satisfying watch. And the ending just seals the deal. I know some people have problems with it, but the ending seems more and more appropriate each time I see it.

My special edition DVD of The Good the Bad and the Ugly arrived the day before yesterday, I watched it last night.

I love this film, but the 5.1 remix on this is so badly butchered (it's sounds so weak and distant), I can't stand it. I've never been 100% put off a film by the sound mix before, not with A New Hope, not Superman, not Jaws - sure, I've noticed the problems with the audio, but it's never put me right off a film before. Also, some of the new scenes in TGTBATU look really out of place. I understand that there are some bits re-inserted that were cut from even Leone's full Italian version. I just have to ask: WHY? These scenes were cut for a reason. I don't mind that the original Italian scenes have been re-inserted, but they didn't do a very good job with the dub, the 1966 voices really clash with their 2004 counterparts.

The special features look nice, but I can't imagine watching the film on this edition again, I'll just stick with the old DVD.

There were rumors of adapting more of the books- anyone know what happened with that?

I heard a rumor recently that they might be trying to adapt Post Captain for the next one. I would love a sequel but so much money was spent on the first one that it's unlikely.

The DaVinci Code.

Oh dear.

This is one of the most awaited film adaptation in recent years, millions upon millions of fans who love the book have to be satisfied. This is a huge burden on the shoulders of the people involved with it.

And it shows.

This film feels like it has a giant boulder on it's back, weighing it down.

The actors look like they are contantly aware that they in a hugely popular work of fiction, and try very hard to get it right.

But there's no sense of fun, a large cast of very talented actors who are trying not to let the readers of the book down. And it's the same with the direction, It feels lumpen and heavy, the camera soars around the beautiful locations, but the film never really takes off.

Hanks is adequsate in the lead role, but absolutely nothing more. Audrey Tautou is fecthing and intelligent, but I'm missing something. Paul Bettany was rather scary and freakish, but not the looming threat that he should have been. Jean Reno, that wonderfull and charasmatic actor, is rather a bore here.

Ian McKellen, pardon, SIR Ian McKellen shows this ensemble of actors how it should be done.

McKellen has said in interviews that the book was basically preposterous, and he plays it as such, with all the dramatic pauses, knowing looks and slight but noticable delights in the delivery of his lines, McKellen makes the job of acting seem fun, and he's by far the best thing to watch in this film.

While the whole film crumbles under the weight of expectations it must deliver, Sir Ian shrugs that off and acts like in something completely fantastical, like X-Men, or Lord Of The Rings.

The slow pace of the film also allowed me time to think and guess the films 2 major surprises, the identity of the Teacher, and the true identity of Sophie Neveu. (that came rather early actually).

Zimmer score pitches and rises nicely and professionally as thing pick up and slow down again (in this film characters seem to be standing still for hours, pondering mysteries, while they should be running from the police). It's a score in the Hannibal mode. Not sure if it's as good though.

All in all 2.5 out of 4. stars.

The World's Fastest Indian.

A wonderfull, unassuming little movie about a plain ans simple guy from New Zealand named Burt Munro who wants to take his 40 year old souped up Indian motorcycle to the saltfatts of Bonneville and see just how fast it goes.

Burt is a lovely old character, a bit absent minded, deaf, but with an honesty that seems to endear everyone he meets on his journey from home to Bonneville.

Played to perfection by Antony Hopkins, who chilled us in Silence Of The Lambs, fascinated us in Remains Of The Day and now warms our heart in this.

This is a feel good road movie, based on true events, usually that means a lot of syrupy Hollywood sentimentality. But this film want nothing more then to delight us with Burts amazing story. There are no huge emotional scenes or big thrills in the film, and that's somehow how it should be.

3 out of 4 stars

The Hills Have Eyes

terrific horror film from the 70's. Sometimes I wonder if the makers of the remake actually saw the original.

I agree with most of what you said, though I still did enjoy the film. McKellen was definately the only performance worth anything in the film, and it was a joy to watch him having so much fun with all the heavy mood going around. Him and Zimmer come out best, I thought.

I saw Borat. Hillarious, but I guess all the anticipation brought it down for me. ***/****.

It's not that I didn't enjoy it, it just rather left me cold.

A film with a premise as proposterous as this has to pull the viewer in, make him accept the premise, if not believe in it.

Also I was watching the extended version (I was given no choice, since this seems to be the only version released on DVD) and it felt very long.

Morlock, did you the think the ending, at the Louvre was a huge cop-out?

After reading Angels and Demons, I thought that would make a better movie than The Da Vinci Code, since it's both a better book and has more elements with cinematic potential.

Ray Barnsbury - who thought DvC was pretty good nonetheless

Yeah, I guessed that pretty early in the film when I saw it.

Also, with the World's Fastest Indian, Hopkins has gone on saying it's his favorite role and what he thinks is his best performance. I'm inclined to agree.

Morlock, did you the think the ending, at the Louvre was a huge cop-out?

I didn't care, I just wanted it to end by that point. SPOILERS- highlight to read: And, anyway, it just seemed hillarious to me where the film ended, concidering where it began. It might've been simpler if the guy had just written down 'Go outside, walk about 50 meters, look down', instead of 'Figure out what all this is, go to the bank, get held up, go to you eccentric friend, have him fly you to England, go to this library, find the church, figure something else out, go to another church, this time in Scotland, go downstairs. Now, we'll explain everything here, except where the tomb is. That you'll have to discover when you quite conveniantly shave after all this crap is over. Run for a while, and THEN you'll end up outside, about 50 meters away. Then prey, even though you never believed in god, but for some reason believe in him now.', or something like that.

*Spoilers*

Was I the only one who guessed about midway in the film that IF they were gonna find a surviving heir of Christ, it was gonna be Sophie?

I personally read the book, but all those with me, who hadn't read it, guessed who it was the instant it was raised. Now that I think about it, Hanks actually had some really terrible moments. When he was arguing with Teabing at the estate, he was not the least bit convincing that he knew what he was talking about. Plus, he had the most hillarious line in the film- "I've got to get to a library. Fast."

*Spoilers*

Was I the only one who guessed about midway in the film that IF they were gonna find a surviving heir of Christ, it was gonna be Sophie?

I guessed it midway thru the book, which was a fun read

Burga - who has yet to watch the film

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

Directed by the writer of Lethal Weapon, and it shows, with the same clever humor, pacing and style.

The movie is narrated by Harry Lockhart (Robert Downey Jr.), a would-be actor from New York who moves to Los Angeles and finds himself taking private eye lessons from Gay Perry (Val Kilmer), a gay detective.

Several murders happen in quick succesion and Harry, Perry and old classmate Harmony (Michelle Monaghan, who is some 10 years younger then him, but never mind) try the solve the mystery before it solves them.

The film has a plot, and it probably makes sense, but that's not important. The way the characters move through it is.

This film is a laugh, a hoot. Nothing profound, but great entertainment.

Downey jr and Kilmer make a great "reluctant duo", and Monaghan maneges to be alluring, funny and a bit mental at the same time.

John Ottman's score is nothing special, it's unnoticable for the most part. This is the sort of film Kamen used to do much better.

*** out of ****

So many great moments in the film, the bear commerical, the robot attack, and his two lines about Hunt for Red October and The Lord of the Rings.

Saw a couple of action flicks which I'll rank from least to best (although they're all really good)

Ronin

Nice car chase and I liked Jean Reno. Very surprised to see Michael Lonsdale in a small but memorable part.

The Score

Had no idea this was a Frank Oz film, loved Norton and was mildly surprised at the laidback way Brando played his role (until I read that he'd walk around the set naked sometimes). Some great heist moments in the film although the twist was a bit easy to spot. Nice score by Shore.

Heat

I'd heard about the "amazing" gun fight in the film but wasn't really that impressed with it (The one in the streets right?). I was more impressed with the sound design since they actually made the guns sound like how they really are. Pacino, as always, was amazing and the diner scene with De Niro was also very very nice.

Heat

I'd heard about the "amazing" gun fight in the film but wasn't really that impressed with it (The one in the streets right?). I was more impressed with the sound design since they actually made the guns sound like how they really are. Pacino, as always, was amazing and the diner scene with De Niro was also very very nice.

The movie's strength is certainly not in it's action scenes, but in the superior cat and mouse game going on there. Pacino and De Niro are fantastic, and their scene together is electric.

Saw 12 Monkeys for the first time. Interesting. Didn't particularly like it or anything about it, aside from some images, didn't particularly dislike it or anything about it. I don't know, I just didn't get worked up by it. **1/2 out of ****.

I had no real reaction to it after I watched it for the first time, except for the image of the lion on the roof, but I've wanted to watch it again for some time.

After reading Angels and Demons, I thought that would make a better movie than The Da Vinci Code, since it's both a better book and has more elements with cinematic potential.

Agreed. Even though the writing is even worse than in DVC, and the physical premises are quite wild... I've rarely read anything as thrilling as A&D.

Agreed. Even though the writing is even worse than in DVC, and the physical premises are quite wild... I've rarely read anything as thrilling as A&D.

Marian, the writing in Angel's and Demons is far superior to that in Da Vinci Code, along with the plotting, suspense, storytelling in general, far better book.

DVC is just a piece of shit book. It would have been better if the heir of Jesus had been a bad person.

I agree, Joe. The movie was quite awful as well. Howard's direction was plain abysmal, Hanks was miscast, and the story and screenplay was laughable. The worst part about it was how seriously it seemed to take itself. I would nominate The Da Vinci Code the worst film of the year had I not had the misfortune of seeing Failure to Launch and The Break-Up.

Ted

Da Vinci Code wasn't probably the best thing I've ever seen, but it wasn't the worst either. I thought it was actually better than the book, which contained some of the most pretentious writing I've ever encountered and probably the lamest plot ever with completely uninvolving characters. The most interesting things in it were not even by Brown. The film was more credible, given the hopeless source material. Somehow.

Karol, who thinks that Da Vinci Code is the ugliest-looking major film in a long while.

I didn't mind Da Vinci Code.....It might have helped that I was coming to it as someone who had never read the book.....? Even so - it sustained interest, and Ian McKellen hams it up beautifully.....ending was a bit of a let-down, especially when my wife explained to me the bits that were missed out....

As with Croc - not the best film I've ever seen, but not the worst either.....

Greg - who just finished watching "Looker".......still on the Crichton wagon......always liked this movie (the bazookies might have helped), but it gets better with age.....mindless though it may be......

Should I mention that Angels & Demons will be made into a movie? It will again star Tom Hanks and will be made as a prequel to The Da Vinci Code.

Indeed. Though I do think the score deserves more recognition. It's really a good score, and a terrific album.

I agree; I usually listen to several standout tracks, but it's a good listen all the way through, too.

~Sturgis, who loves how the main theme is like the Bond theme sometimes

Indeed. Though I do think the score deserves more recognition. It's really a good score, and a terrific album.

I agree; I usually listen to several standout tracks, but it's a good listen all the way through, too.

~Sturgis, who loves how the main theme is like the Bond theme sometimes

or the Kingdom of Heaven theme :)

I wouldn't classify it quite as the main theme....it's one of them. And it does start out very similarly to the great KoH theme.

Morlock- who loves KoH's score and theme

I'm talking about the theme heard first in the song, and towards the end of "Unauthorized Access" in a variation and at the end of "Dinner Jackets," it's usually played on blaring horn. Is that the one you were talking about, or was it the love theme?

~Sturgis, who would like to add that the beginning of "The Name's Bond . . . James Bond" is toally BAMF, especially when you see Craig holding that big truckin' gun, and that the Bond theme that follows is an exremely kick-ass version

In the film, it worked, no more, no less.

I can't say anything more about it.

Or less.

Too bad that the best material from the album is not even in the film. When I first heard the CD I thought that it really stars to kick in with the beginning of the ninth track till the end. Then I learned that it was a suite,not a actual parts of the film score. I was disappointed when I saw the film.

Karol

Saw Sideways. Good mid-life crisis film set during a California wine-tasting journey. I don't get what makes it great to some people, but the performances are very good, I like the score, nice scenery, good script. ***/****.

Sideways is a beautiful film. Everything about it is so subtly stated. Paul Giamatti gives a wonderful performance, giving life to a beautifully nuanced character. To me, that movie really captures a sense of being unhappy with yourself, allowing the mistakes you've made to really consume you. I love how movie's themes and characters reveal themselves naturally and that it doesn't depict wallowing unhappiness as so miserable or surround the characters in darkness. There are so many bright spots and so much hope expressed in small ways. His character hasn't totally lost hope in himself or life; it's there buried under all the self-loathing and cynicism. And his relationship with the Virginia Madsen character is really something extraordinary. That scene in which he explains his love of pinot noir is heartbreaking and beautiful. Sideways is definitely one of my two or three favorite films of 2004.

Last night I viewed McCabe & Mrs. Miller, and my enthusiasm for it matches and probably exceeds the enthusiasm I expressed for Sideways. It's a brilliant, sublime film with so much understated poetry, like McCabe himself. I can't think of much more to say right now other than expressing the pure exhiliration and joy that great cinematic art can stir in me.

Ted

Die Hard with a Vengeance

Now this is how to do a good action movie.

I wish Jeremy Irons could narrarate my life, it'd be so awesome.

Gattaca. An intelligent film. Performances are great. Score is quite good. In some places it looked kind of cheap but overall Niccol does a good job of making it look strange. Surpisingly compelling backstory for the main character. I found myself totally on the edge of my seat on their final swim. 4 out of 5.

The Godfather. My first time seeing this classic. Since the law prohibits me from saying anything bad about this film....I won't. Then again I'm not sure what I would say. 5 out of 5.

Justin